Menu

Do you keep your nuts in the freezer?

MamaBearTeacher

I think 2 months is totally within reason. I wouldn't worry about that length of time. 6 months and you'd notice a loss of flavor.

Yes, I wouldn't worry about 2 months. Longer than that and I do freeze them, but i wrap them tight because they can taste dried out when they've been frozen.

I assume we are talking non-roasted nuts? My raw walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and pine nuts are in the freezer. Roasted peanuts, cashews, and pistachios for snacking are not. 

I toast or cook most of my raw nuts before using, so no need to defrost.

• Like 1

I keep mine in the freezer, and I don't do anything special to defrost them. I'll put them straight into yogurt or salads, and I've never had a problem with them being too hard or hurting teeth. I'm talking mainly about slivered almonds or halved walnuts and pecans from a regular feeezer above my fridge, not a deep freezer.

• Like 2

My mind went right where Spryte's did :lol:

I used to keep leftover bagged nuts (snerk!) in the freezer but noticed they were picking up some off flavors, so now I keep them in the cupboard and we have less issues. I've only had walnuts go rancid on me and they were in there a long time before it happened, at least six months.

I've never kept mine in the freezer.  If I forget about them and they get stale, I put them out for the squirrels. 

A friend soaks raw nuts and then dehydrates them before freezing to keep them fresh.  The soaking is supposed to help with digestion or something.  I thought they tasted stale prepared that way, but my friend likes them.

• Like 1

No on the teeth damage. I have frozen nuts forever. We live in a hot climate and just about everything goes into the freezer to protect it from insects.

I've had frozen macadamias, almonds, peanuts, cashews and probably others. They do not seem any harder.

I freeze nuts if they are going to be stored more than a few months - if I knew they'd be eaten within two months, I wouldn't bother. 

They don't get much harder than they are unfrozen.  Isn't the reason foods get hard in the freezer because of the water content?  I'm guessing nuts have little water to freeze.  

• Like 1

I've never kept mine in the freezer. If I forget about them and they get stale, I put them out for the squirrels.

A friend soaks raw nuts and then dehydrates them before freezing to keep them fresh. The soaking is supposed to help with digestion or something. I thought they tasted stale prepared that way, but my friend likes them.

It does help with digestion and makes the nutrients more accessible.

They must be thoroughly dried though or they taste wrong or stale. Also different nuts need different soaking times - almonds soak much longer than pecans for example.

I find it worth the extra step because I notice a difference when I soak them.

I store mine (pre soaked) in the freezer. Soaked and crispy in the fridge though a small amount is kept in the cabinet or counter that will be eaten that week.

I keep mine in the freezer because I buy them in large amounts. I keep quart jars in the fridge, each with a different type of nuts, and I refill those from the ones stored in the freezer.

I make a lot of almond milk, and several recipes that use cashews, plus we eat lots of walnuts and pecans too, so I keep all those all the time.

No. I will forget about them that way and I think they taste better if not frozen. We don't eat many nuts and definitely not for snacks, though so I tend to buy in small enough quantities for whatever recipe I need them for and then I don't need to worry about storing them. I have two bags of raw cashews from Trader Joes in my cabinet which is about the largest amount of nuts I've had on hand in the last year or so.

I don't have a lot of room in my freezer, but I will store nuts in there if I have room and they are getting close to the expiration date.  My adult sons eat a lot of nuts when they are home, so I stock up but they are not eaten much when my boys aren't home so I prefer to freeze them to make them last longer.