Menu

need a list of great books for toddlers

ProudGrandma

My daughter has been hired by our little local library to read at a local daycare and then do some sort of craft or activity with the kids.  She mostly has 2 and 3 year olds.  She has discovered that the books she needs to read to them need to be quite short, few words to a page....and our library doesn't have very many of those....but is open to buying more for her to use.  What I need are some good titles.  Do not assume that our library has classics kids books, because they don't have a lot.  So any book that your 2 or 3 year old loves, or you think is great, please list. 

What is hard is that she does this 2 times a week...that is approx. 8 books a month...so she goes through books quickly. 

thank you very much.

The LIttle  Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear

Go Dog Go!

Alphabert Mystery

Alphabet Adventure

If you Give a Pig a Pancake / If you Give a Mouse a Cookie

Sheep in a Jeep

Are you My Mother?

The Napping House

There are so many more, I know that aren't coming to mind.

Anything Sandra Boynton. https://www.amazon.com/Sandra-Boynton/e/B000AP9SWQ/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1484229949&sr=8-2-ent

Llama llama blah blah blah books

https://www.amazon.com/Anna-Dewdney/e/B001H6OBJM/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1484230029&sr=8-1

Is your mama a llama

A boy and his bunny

1,2,3 oops

Madeleine books https://www.amazon.com/Ludwig-Bemelmans/e/B000AQ3QZK/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1484230110&sr=8-1

Sheep Do stuff (in a jeep, go to sleep...) books

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&text=Nancy+E.+Shaw&search-alias=books&field-author=Nancy+E.+Shaw&sort=relevancerank

This is just off the top of my head; I could be here all day if I walked over to the bookcase :p

• Like 1

Cows In The Kitchen was one of the kids favorites when I did library story time.

Is she going to have to purchase the books herself? This seems like a good way for the library to beef up their collection. What a fun job for her!

Other story time favorites off the top of my head:

Going on a bear hunt

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus

• Like 1

thank you guys so much!!!!  this is a great list so far.  The library board is looking for us to come up with a list of books...so that is so nice.  

She loves her job so much...but the lack of good books in our library has made it somewhat challenging.  However, we do have another library 8 miles away that we are using books from...but we want to help our own library get more titles.

thanks again for your help!!!

My rules for 2-3yos are short, repetitive/predictable text, preferably with a reading rhythm or rhyme to it.  If it also gives a playful range of voices/emotions that's a plus:

Muncha! Muncha! Muncha (a little wordier, but repeats each previous page in the rabbits' quest for garden veggies)

Anything by Mo Willems

Trashy Town

There's a Wocket In My Pocket

Freight Train

The Gingerbread Man

Don't Forget The Bacon!

Circle, Square, Moose (also Z is for Moose by the same author)
Don't Push The Button!
The Book With No Pictures (though, this is one that should be checked first to see if it matches the interest level of the kids. It's usually a 3-6yobook.  It could be hilarious or fall flat)

Jan Thomas books

There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly

The only ones I really stay away from at this age is retellings of classic tales.  The Gingerbread Man, yes, the Ninjabread Man, no.  The kids don't usually have enough (or any) exposure to the original to find the retellings funny or are able to relate them to information in their memory.

• Like 1

Bear snores on and the series

Caps for sale

Curious George

Brown bear, brown bear and all the rest

Those are some of my 2 and 4 year olds current favorites.

You've already gotten two endorsements for Caps for Sale, but I wanted to add a third.  It has more then 5 words on a page but DD has always loved being the monkey, doing the hand-gestures and saying "tsk, tsk, tsk"  .   It seems like several toddlers would enjoy doing that together all at once. 

Definately repeat books.

She could add fingerplays & songs maybe too.

This.

There is a program called Mother Goose On The Loose.  On their website they have a basic brainstorming page of 6 ways to introduce/tell a story so that the presenter or performer is always thinking of ways to engage the littles.  It's a fill in the blank page, but worth coming up with on your own when it comes to retelling.  For example:

Read book

Use felt board

Use felt board to fill in word and let the children say it.  (ex: in Brown Bear, Brown Bear, cut out color blobs of felt and put one up each time)

Puppetry

Rhyme/song

Act it out together

So for littles, you could put together a presentation where you do a short book on colors or rainbow finger play (quick engagement),

then the song "If your clothes have any red, any red, any red, touch your head" (If You're Happy And You Know It) (movement),

then settle in with Brown Bear, Brown Bear and use the blobs to have the kids fill in the blanks to stay engaged and predict text. 

Finish up with a free-art period of coloring and they're happy as a clam.

• Like 2

What is hard is that she does this 2 times a week...that is approx. 8 books a month...so she goes through books quickly.

Some repetition is good for the kids.

It's been a long time since I was reading to that age group, but I'll look around, see what I've got.