Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW2: Happy birthday Haruki Murakami!!!

Robin M

My ten-year-old son finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today.  As he read the book he was horrified about how horrible Umbridge was ("I hate her more every page.") and then, at the end, he was so sad about Sirius ("I was really attached to him!") and the Dumbledore is amazing feeling has begun to fade ("He really should've told Harry this sooner.  Harry needed to know all this!").  After reading the Snape's Worst Memory chapter, he started questioning whether Snape is all bad or if he has reason to hate someone who looks like a guy who was a jerk to him in school.

When he closed the Kindle after he completed the book, he had a look on his face I know well.  It was the look of having just finished an amazing book and not quite being able to pull yourself totally out of that world and kind of wondering why the rest of the world is still going on while you are trying to finish processing what you have just read.

He has definitely joined the ranks of JK Rowling lovers everywhere.

Tonight there is an owl outside hooting.  We live in the middle of tons of houses inside of the city of San Antonio and, yet, there's this big, beautiful barn owl that lives here and hoots almost every night for a while (one night it was in the tree in our yard and we got to see it).  I told Fritz the owl is just making sure of where he lives since he will, after all, be turning 11 in July.  He has to be sure of where to deliver his letter.  Fritz said, very seriously, "I hope I do get a letter.  I would be so happy to know magic is really true."

He will get a letter.  His older brother got one 4 years ago (his owl still lives on a shelf in his room to this day).  My daughter pointed out she didn't get a letter.  We hadn't come up with the idea yet when she turned 11.  So she has decided she must be a squib.

It's so fun watching Fritz discover Hogwarts, magic, and Harry Potter.  I love sharing books I love so much with my kids!

Awwww!! Thank you for sharing this. We had to wait and wait and wait for Order of the Phoenix to get written.  Our first midnight Harry Potter release party was for Order of the Phoenix. We read the first chapter aloud together when we got home, then the kids read it on their own after that. It was kind of sad to have them reading it on their own as dh and I read aloud the first 4.  My poor 9 yo ds came to me so very, very sad early on in reading the book.  "Mom," he said. "I think JK Rowling has forgotten how to write fun books." It's been fun hearing their reactions to the series as they've re-read them as young adults, how much they appreciate the way the characters grow. 

And I must admit to loving the sound of an owl at night!! Never thought about having an owl arrive for their 11th birthdays!  When I first read the book I was horrified that any parent would be ok with their child heading to boarding school at age 11.  When my oldest turned 11, however, it suddenly seemed like a brilliant plan!!

• Like 12

More pleasurably, I gobbled up two psychological thrillers, No Time For Goodbye and Fear The Darkness. They were both pretty diverting, with some carefully managed red herrings. One, I was mad I didn't come up with the twist - I was too much led by the red herring - the other the twist was somewhat unbelievable, but ya know, still fun for whiling away a summer afternoon.

These look great and the authors are new to me. Woot!

My ten-year-old son finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today.  As he read the book he was horrified about how horrible Umbridge was ("I hate her more every page.") and then, at the end, he was so sad about Sirius ("I was really attached to him!") and the Dumbledore is amazing feeling has begun to fade ("He really should've told Harry this sooner.  Harry needed to know all this!").  After reading the Snape's Worst Memory chapter, he started questioning whether Snape is all bad or if he has reason to hate someone who looks like a guy who was a jerk to him in school.

When he closed the Kindle after he completed the book, he had a look on his face I know well.  It was the look of having just finished an amazing book and not quite being able to pull yourself totally out of that world and kind of wondering why the rest of the world is still going on while you are trying to finish processing what you have just read.

He has definitely joined the ranks of JK Rowling lovers everywhere.

Tonight there is an owl outside hooting.  We live in the middle of tons of houses inside of the city of San Antonio and, yet, there's this big, beautiful barn owl that lives here and hoots almost every night for a while (one night it was in the tree in our yard and we got to see it).  I told Fritz the owl is just making sure of where he lives since he will, after all, be turning 11 in July.  He has to be sure of where to deliver his letter.  Fritz said, very seriously, "I hope I do get a letter.  I would be so happy to know magic is really true."

He will get a letter.  His older brother got one 4 years ago (his owl still lives on a shelf in his room to this day).  My daughter pointed out she didn't get a letter.  We hadn't come up with the idea yet when she turned 11.  So she has decided she must be a squib.

It's so fun watching Fritz discover Hogwarts, magic, and Harry Potter.  I love sharing books I love so much with my kids!

So much fun! Totally cool idea!

• Like 8

I read Agnes Gray by Anne Bronte. Earlier than The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, and quite obviously a first effort, but very nice. She's working on some if the same issues. I wish she had lived long enough to write more! I've requested her poems from the library.

I'm reading Gengis Khan and the Quest for God--- very interesting. The gist seems to be that once he had brutally conquered places, he was actually quite nice about allowing local religions to flourish. I can't tell yet whether this is the author's axe to grind or whether it's historically accurate- but the author dug up some interesting info that our Founding Fathers were reading then-fashionable biographies of Gengis Khan which emphasized religious toleration, around the time they were getting religious freedom into the plans for our government! Interesting. Also interesting to read details if Gengis Khan's childhood & family life.

• Like 15

Checking in. I finished 2 this week: Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea (thank you Robin) and the 4th Belgariad book, Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings. I read Gift from the Sea on the treadmill and thought it was a good one to read at the start of the year. Just a short book of essays she wrote while alone on an island and thinking about stages of life and marriage, particularly for a woman. It made me want to read more about her; maybe later in the year I'll look for a bio or more by her. I now have one left in the Belgariad series which I'm enjoying.

My challenge for the rest of the month is to read some books lying around here and see if I can then donate a few to the library book sale. Our biggest sale is in February but they close donations for it around the end of the month so they can prepare for the sale.

I'll keep checking in for the next few days but will probably drop out at some point if the thread is as long as last week's! I'm starting a class on Tuesday to start earning some credits to renew my teaching credential. Starting to think about the next phase of life after home schooling. Wouldn't want to teach full time, but a part time position would be perfect. I was a high school math teacher once. I'm taking college algebra just to get it all back in my head. The content should be easy for me; we'll see how I do with managing one more thing in a busy life! Will try to keep reading too.

• Like 4

I have just discovered* whispersync... I may never have money again.

* I knew it existed but I never used it before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's awesome! I don't read the Kindle versions very often, mostly with heavily illustrated books.  However there is a trick: an Audible credit is worth about $11.50, if the Kindle book is on sale and the Audible can be added for $4.99 or so, I can get an Audible book for much less than a credit.  

• Like 10

I don't have a blog, but I just added my GR to my siggie.  Someday I will add more books that I have read, but for now I'm keeping it up to date for the 2017 challenge.  I'm also keeping the "currently reading" list of books that I've started in 2017 and might finish.

• Like 11

It's awesome! I don't read the Kindle versions very often, mostly with heavily illustrated books. However there is a trick: an Audible credit is worth about $11.50, if the Kindle book is on sale and the Audible can be added for $4.99 or so, I can get an Audible book for much less than a credit.

I figured out part of my problem last night. None of my current books I'm reading have the whispersynch option. The one I tried before apparently had multiple readings of the same book and I chose the wrong one. Next time I need to purchase them at the same time. Not buy the book and then try to add the reading partway through.

Many thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers. I made it through my surgery okay although it ended up being 3.5 hours, when it was only supposed to be 1.5. I spent yesterday coming out of the anesthesia fog, but lurked on the boards a bit. I am very glad I had the procedure done. Part of the process was a diagnosis for a condition causing pain (doing anything other than lying down was agonizing), and it was freeing to have the doctor confirm, yes, things were wonky, the pain wasn't all in my head, and the surgery was needed. I'm hopeful I will be better though I won't know for certain for another few months. I haven't done much reading books as it's been hard to concentrate, but the posts here are a nice distraction.

• Like 22

Happy Malanka?!

For our myth loving folks, a series of photos celebrating an obscure holiday. It has to involve a bear...and gypsies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2015/01/14/the-roots-of-tradition-in-ukraines-folk-holiday-malanka/

Well, then, here's the perfect book to read in honor of Malanka!

• Like 12

Many thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers. I made it through my surgery okay although it ended up being 3.5 hours, when it was only supposed to be 1.5. I spent yesterday coming out of the anesthesia fog, but lurked on the boards a bit. I am very glad I had the procedure done. Part of the process was a diagnosis for a condition causing pain (doing anything other than lying down was agonizing), and it was freeing to have the doctor confirm, yes, things were wonky, the pain wasn't all in my head, and the surgery was needed. I'm hopeful I will be better though I won't know for certain for another few months. I haven't done much reading books as it's been hard to concentrate, but the posts here are a nice distraction.

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. I hope as time goes on, you feel the benefits of having had it.

• Like 11

Happy Malanka?!

For our myth loving folks, a series of photos celebrating an obscure holiday. It has to involve a bear...and gypsies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2015/01/14/the-roots-of-tradition-in-ukraines-folk-holiday-malanka/

Still in bed and reading this thread on my phone. Jane, this has made my 'just-beginning' day ðŸ˜

"Streets fill with men dressed as gypsies that lead fantastic giant bears made of hay. These creatures, huge as haycocks, are likened to angels walking the Earth."

C'mon, who doesn't like a holiday where haybears and tree spirits walk the streets! ðŸ»ðŸŒ³ðŸ‘¼ðŸ’™

Perfect indeed. This has gone onto the tbr list 😊
  • Like 11

Butter - I loved your HP post!

Erin - Glad you are doing ok!

I finished The American Way of Poverty: How the Other Half Still Lives - by Sasha Abramsky. The first half of the book focused on the description of the problem through case histories and collected statistics. I always find such descriptions to be fascinating (for lack of a better word) reading and critical for making the case for the policy discussion to follow. Published in 2012, the second half of the book contains proposed economic policies for addressing the issue of poverty. Books like this rapidly become out of date and this one is no exception. However, Abramsky's proposals are well worth hanging on to as they make a great deal of sense - even though I suspect they would be difficult to implement in this country. 

I'm currently reading the second of C.C. Benison's mystery series: Eleven Piper's Piping. For those who enjoy  British mysteries, I recommend this three (so far) book series. The sleuth is vicar in a small town. For my nonfiction read, I'm reading James Cone's Martin & Malcolm & America: A Dream or a Nightmare? I don't know how I missed reading this when it first came out in 1991. Cone's distinctions between the philosophies influencing Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X (integrationism in the former and nationalism in the latter) are quite helpful.

Butter - I loved your HP post!

Erin - Glad you are doing ok!

I finished The American Way of Poverty: How the Other Half Still Lives - by Sasha Abramsky. The first half of the book focused on the description of the problem through case histories and collected statistics. I always find such descriptions to be fascinating (for lack of a better word) reading and critical for making the case for the policy discussion to follow. Published in 2012, the second half of the book contains proposed economic policies for addressing the issue of poverty. Books like this rapidly become out of date and this one is no exception. However, Abramsky's proposals are well worth hanging on to as they make a great deal of sense - even though I suspect they would be difficult to implement in this country. 

I'm currently reading the second of C.C. Benison's mystery series: Eleven Piper's Piping. For those who enjoy  British mysteries, I recommend this three (so far) book series. The sleuth is vicar in a small town. For my nonfiction read, I'm reading James Cone's Martin & Malcolm & America: A Dream or a Nightmare? I don't know how I missed reading this when it first came out in 1991. Cone's distinctions between the philosophies influencing Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X (integrationism in the former and nationalism in the latter) is quite helpful.

Then I think you'd really appreciate Stamped from the Beginning. One of the best things it did was help distinguish between the driving philosophies of figures on all side of slavery/reconstruction/civil rights issues throughout US history. It clarified a lot of historical and contemporary issues for me.

• Like 9

Then I think you'd really appreciate Stamped from the Beginning. One of the best things it did was help distinguish between the driving philosophies of figures on all side of slavery/reconstruction/civil rights issues throughout US history. It clarified a lot of historical and contemporary issues for me.

I've got it on my list! Thanks!

Happy Malanka?!

Thank you for posting this, Jane. I love this!

That's what I thought of too! This is what I'm planning to read for the debut author bingo square.

• Like 6

Mothersweets, Happy birthday! Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day. Nothing beats donuts. 

Erin, great to hear from you on the other side of your surgery. Hoping for a fast and complete recovery. 

I give myself a smiley stamp for reading a man, in translation.

:lol:    I just finished my 2nd book of the year....another woman author. Thought you'd be proud of me.

This past week I read What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses, by Daniel Chamovitz. I was looking for books to use as part of a botany course for DD — something interesting and accessible but still scientifically accurate and detailed — and this fit the bill perfectly. 

My ds took his MOOC class and learned so much. He loved it. 

Book #2 of the year finished is Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine, and now I have to wait until the summer for the next book. Sigh. I love the plot line of the books. The Great Library starts out with good intentions but becomes corrupted by power. Who doesn't love a book about books? 

This books fills the Dystopian spot on bingo. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 13

Finished Lines of Departure... somehow I decide to listen to Carrie Fisher reading her book Princess Diarist. The first part was really great and then it's her journals from when she was 19 and filming Star wars and OMG ... I am listening to a 19 year old's diaries and she's mooning over Harrison Ford and writing teenager poetry and using big words because she knows what they mean... and oh much gosh... so 19. I don't know if I can make it through this one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Hello!

I'm a long-time lurker, and last week I was thinking of joining you for the new year, but for some reason didn't take the plunge. Is it okay if I still join?

I've read two book so far:

- The Game of Thrones, which surprised me! Then I tried watching the first episode, but all I could do was cringe. :glare: I had high hopes there.

- Fanstastic Beast and Where to Find Them. Last year I read through the whole HP series again, and I was looking forward to reading this prequel, but it wasn't for me. :thumbdown:

Books I'm currently reading:

- Sense and Sensibility - Austen

- Romantic Poets (collection of poems by Byron, Keats and more)

- Mere Christianity - Lewis

- The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky

- Shakespeare's Sonnets

- Fierce Wars and Faithful Loves - Spenser

- The Story of the Ancient World - SWB

- In Search of England - Morton

- The Sea Around Us - Carson

- Heartfelt Discipline - Clarkson

- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck - Manson

- Memoirs of a Geisha - Golden

:w00t: :willy_nilly:

I've heard a lot of good things about The Night Circus lately, so that will move up on my tbr-pile. There's not really a pile, but more like a list, or shall I say bookwork. :rolleyes:

I see a few familiar faces/names here, mostly from Instagram. Hello to you!

• Like 18

Hello!

I'm a long-time lurker, and last week I was thinking of joining you for the new year, but for some reason didn't take the plunge. Is it okay if I still join?

- The Game of Thrones, which surprised me! Then I tried watching the first episode, but all I could do was cringe. :glare: I had high hopes there.

- Fanstastic Beast and Where to Find Them. Last year I read through the whole HP series again, and I was looking forward to reading this prequel, but it wasn't for me. :thumbdown:

- Shakespeare's Sonnets

I've heard a lot of good things about The Night Circus lately, so that will move up on my tbr-pile. There's not really a pile, but more like a list, or shall I say bookwork. :rolleyes:

Ahh, a reader after my own heart! Your currently reading list looks a lot like mine - and your stack is probably as tall and rickety.I'm doing a GoT re-read, also re-reading Jane Austen, some medieval English history, and a Rachel Carson book. Plus I'm currently reading The Night Circus and it's holding my interest so far.

Welcome to the BaW thread - you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.  ;)  :D

• Like 11

Ahh, a reader after my own heart! Your currently reading list looks a lot like mine - and your stack is probably as tall and rickety.I'm doing a GoT re-read, also re-reading Jane Austen, some medieval English history, and a Rachel Carson book. Plus I'm currently reading The Night Circus and it's holding my interest so far.

Welcome to the BaW thread - you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.  ;)  :D

I'm in awe of how much you all are able to read in a week. My list will keep me busy for ages.

Uh-oh :scared: Well, in that case I shall continue reading...forevermore.

SpreadingtheFeast, welcome to the additive BAW threads. I see you enjoy a bit of light reading.  :tongue_smilie:

Game of Thrones is pretty light, right?

I'm just catching up on an education I failed to receive. ;)

• Like 10

Welcome SpreadingtheFeast. Glad you decided to de-lurk.

Ack! Too many books going at once. I just received notice that my library hold on News of the World is available. One of the conveniences of ebooks is also sometimes a drawback because I don't have to go to the library and it doesn't matter if they're closed - just download and there's another book. I need to finish something so I don't have so many in progress. I think that something will be Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End. I'm almost finished with it so it's the most likely candidate. 

I started listening to Dombey and Son, another library book but on audio. I couldn't get into it and will probably just let it go back when the loan period is up (for some reason I can't return audio books from Overdrive and have to let the loan period expire). I might try again one day. It wouldn't be the first time it took me more than one try to get through a Dickens novel. 

So, current reads (and audio):

Being Mortal, as referenced above

Doctor Thorne

Norwegian Wood - I'm actually liking this Murakami.

Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness #4) - audio book

Alexander Hamilton, Ron Chernow

and soon, News of the World

• Like 14

I just finished Autobiography of Red — thank you Matryoska for recommending this! I knew I would love it as soon as I read the first sentence: "He came after Homer and before Gertrude Stein, a difficult interval for a poet."

I've ordered the sort-of sequel, Red Doc>, as well as two of Carson's translations of Greek plays.

• Like 13

Hello!

- Shakespeare's Sonnets

Hi. Game of Thrones is a funny thing, I think. I am a big fan of the show, and I thought for sure that I would like the books. I read the first one after Season One, but it just didn't feel worth continuing. But now, after thoroughly enjoying this most recent TV season, I am thinking about giving the books another go. Edited by Penguin
  • Like 11

So, current reads (and audio):

Being Mortal, as referenced above

Doctor Thorne

Norwegian Wood - I'm actually liking this Murakami.

Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness #4) - audio book

Alexander Hamilton, Ron Chernow

and soon, News of the World

I love the Royal Spyness series as audiobooks. I don't think I would have enjoyed them as much if I had read them myself.
  • Like 7

[emoji112]Spreading the Feast, it's nice to see you here! I enjoy all the pictures you post on instagram. [emoji2]

I quit reading George Martin's series after the second book. That was a long time ago, before there was even an inkling that there would be a TV series. It just got too dark for me, and the dark was just unrelenting. Plus my favorite character got whacked in the first book.

I even gave away a signed copy of book 3... I was standing at a nearly empty book stall at a con when I bought the book, and George Martin, who was a speaker, was standing there, too. He saw me buying the book and asked if I wanted him to sign it. Then the book sat around partially read for years until I decided I was never going to read it and gave it away. Then they decided to make it a TV show. I don't know that anyone in the 90's or early 2000's really expected there to be wildly popular shows made from fantasy novels. It didn't seem quite so mainstream then.

Oh well. I still don't have any desire to finish the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 13

I hope everyone in the path of the ice storm stays safe and warm.

So far this is the lamest ice storm ever.  They canceled school on Friday and all sorts of businesses have been closing because the ice was supposed to start at noon on Friday.  Since noon on Friday they have predicted that it will start in four hours.  Yep.  We haven't had so much as a drop of precipitation.  Right now they are calling for the ice to start in ... four hours.  I'm getting skeptical.

Sorry to hear about your dh. I recently read Jason Fung's first book and I highly recommend it. I just ordered his second book and look forward to reading that also. Don't be deterred by the title. Perhaps your husband is not obese. His first book is probably the best health book that I have ever read and I have read plenty. You may have seen my review on Good Reads? The first book makes so much sense. I think that the second book is the more practical and applicable one. 

9781925228793.jpg  9781628600018.jpg

Thank you!  I will add both of those to our to-read list.  About that obesity thing ... DH and I are both probably obese now.  We're both 30 pounds overweight.  He hides it better than I do because he's 6'4" and I'm 5'2".  Ugh.  I just love all food and sweets and donuts.  You just can't even imagine how happy a donut makes me.  (I'm probably darn lucky to only be 30 pounds overweight.)

I just saw William Peter Blatty died. :( I have a copy of the Exorcist signed by him that was my Mom's.

My grandmother back in the 70's went to talk at her church and the person giving the talk was one of the Priests involved in the exorcism.  I guess there were all sorts of scary details that weren't in the book.  As you can imagine with an exorcism ...

I've told that to people before and they didn't believe me because they didn't realize the story was based on a true story. 

• Like 11

I'm so glad that the surgery went well, Erin. Sending you thoughts for quick and easy healing. 💕

• Like 12

I finished my second book of the year this evening. Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin, which is the first book in his Inspector Rebus series. Unlike most police procedurals, where the main character is in hot pursuit of a culprit, this novel features Rebus as one of many lower level detectives on a serial killer case, and his primary job is to follow up on phone calls and tips. He's not thrilled about his assignment, and the book doesn't discuss his work much. Instead, the focus is on Rebus's personal struggles, which are many. Recently divorced and separated from both his ex-wife and his daughter, he also has a chilly relationship with his only brother. He suffers from PTSD from a horrid experience in the military, and is a Christian who is angry at God. Although Rebus's job assignment keeps him at a relative distance from the ongoing investigation, as the story progresses, the betrayals in his personal life cause him to become more and more entwined with the case. The second half of the book moved more quickly for me than the beginning.

Generally, I prefer characters that I can empathize with, even if they are nothing like me, and I found it hard to connect with Rebus. But there is a lot of interesting background and depth to his character, so I will likely give the second book in the series a chance at some point. The first book in a series is rarely my favorite, anyway.

Now I get to dive into the book that has been waiting in the wings. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 13

[emoji112]Spreading the Feast, it's nice to see you here! I enjoy all the pictures you post on instagram. [emoji2]

I quit reading George Martin's series after the second book. That was a long time ago, before there was even an inkling that there would be a TV series. It just got too dark for me, and the dark was just unrelenting. Plus my favorite character got whacked in the first book.

I even gave away a signed copy of book 3... I was standing at a nearly empty book stall at a con when I bought the book, and George Martin, who was a speaker, was standing there, too. He saw me buying the book and asked if I wanted him to sign it. Then the book sat around partially read for years until I decided I was never going to read it and gave it away. Then they decided to make it a TV show. I don't know that anyone in the 90's or early 2000's really expected there to be wildly popular shows made from fantasy novels. It didn't seem quite so mainstream then.

Oh well. I still don't have any desire to finish the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great story! Funny how he asked you, if you wanted it signed. So the books get darker still? I found Book I dark enough already. :ohmy: I have Book II and III on my bookshelves, and will at least give them a try, but I'm not sure if I want to read the whole series. Yes, such a bummer that person died! He was my favourite as well. 

I love seeing your pictures as well!  Nice to see you here. :seeya:

• Like 10

I finished 2 books people...2 🤗

The first was a biography " On Fathers Day" true story about a guy who drove his three kids into a lake and drowned them to bet back at his wife for leaving him. Been reading a lot of these types of books lately...I'm terribly interested in criminal psychology and what makes people do things like that. Generally though, the perpetrator very rarely gives any reasons for their actions so its really anyones guess. ☹ï¸

Second I finished "Merrick" by Ann Rice. Didnt realise it was part of a series which was why it took me half the book to get into🙄 Vampire books or any supernatural/fantasy character books do little for me...I prefer my characters human. Glad I'm done..wont be reading the rest. Tried a new author but she's not for me.

Next up.. " The Polygamous Wives Writing Club" 😂 Caught my eye as I was browsing the library. Its diary extracts from LDS women who engaged in polygamy in the churches early years ( not the offshoot RLDS fundie groups of today).

Also starting " A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court" just because I've never read it. Doing this one as an audio book as the classics always make me fall asleep. 😆

• Like 14

I have tended to be very skeptical of best sellers.  I don't trust the American public's reading taste much, I think!  

I'm becoming more and more skeptical also. I used to pretty much only read bestsellers. Now I seldom do. I'm far more selective. 

Ug.  Found out the results of the mri yesterday and I've torn up all sorts of things in my shoulder and need surgery. 

:grouphug:  Thinking of you, Nan. 

• Like 9

I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope the recovery will too. With great results at the end.

I haven't had time to catch up with the New Year "megathreads" but just popping in to say I finished my first book of 2017 Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton. This one really spoke to me in some unexpected ways. 51wYTwcoHgL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hi Shawne! Glad you popped in. I was curious about your book when I noticed the Oprah's book club. An acquaintance was one of the first on her show with the book club. Back when she flew people places for dinner...... I think her club is more a recommendation now????

I finished my second book of the year this evening. Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin, which is the first book in his Inspector Rebus series. Unlike most police procedurals, where the main character is in hot pursuit of a culprit, this novel features Rebus as one of many lower level detectives on a serial killer case, and his primary job is to follow up on phone calls and tips. He's not thrilled about his assignment, and the book doesn't discuss his work much. Instead, the focus is on Rebus's personal struggles, which are many. Recently divorced and separated from both his ex-wife and his daughter, he also has a chilly relationship with his only brother. He suffers from PTSD from a horrid experience in the military, and is a Christian who is angry at God. Although Rebus's job assignment keeps him at a relative distance from the ongoing investigation, as the story progresses, the betrayals in his personal life cause him to become more and more entwined with the case. The second half of the book moved more quickly for me than the beginning.

Generally, I prefer characters that I can empathize with, even if they are nothing like me, and I found it hard to connect with Rebus. But there is a lot of interesting background and depth to his character, so I will likely give the second book in the series a chance at some point. The first book in a series is rarely my favorite, anyway.

Now I get to dive into the book that has been waiting in the wings. I'm looking forward to it.

I read this a few months ago and felt pretty ambivalent towards it too. I haven't tried the next one yet. I love series books and firmly believe they should if possible be read in order which frequently means I slog through the first one or two before things get good.

I read a few novellas in order to clean up my Overdrive. Nothing I would hugely recommend but a couple were of potential interest to others....

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6060372-the-uncommon-reader was written as a tale of what happens when someone discovers reading for pleasure. In his story Queen Elizabeth discovers books and starts spending a large portion of her time reading. She creates havoc in the palace as she recommends books because one must read them. Cute and short, around a 100 pages so no bingo credit etc.

The Five on Brexit Island by someone other than Blyton https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31432499-five-on-brexit-island...the Five for adults and Ladybird for adults seem to be really popular at my grocery stores these days. Dh bought this one as part of a gift for a friend but thought I needed to look it over first. I like the Five from the past and their adult versions aren't too bad in this one. I'm not sure I can face the one titled The Five give up Booze (they give up gluten in another one ;) ). First I looked at the Goodreads reviews and the info there led me to believe one needs to understand Brexit as a Brit to find humour in this book which I think is true. It also said you needed to be emotionally over the vote or have voted to leave which is possibly true although I disagree with the leave part. Anyway it wasn't great or hilarious. It did illustrate some of the points well enough but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this book if you can't buy it at the grocery store. The ending of the book was weird and I am referring to the book not the politics. Once again only 120 pages with pictures. I read it in an hour. Dh is welcome to give it away! :lol:

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 14