Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW2: Happy birthday Haruki Murakami!!!

Robin M

Well said. As the person who inadvertently started this discussion of books you wouldn't want to be seen reading, I feel a little apologetic. But I also enjoy the wide variety of opinions such discussions evoke! I hope no one feels intimidated - we are an opinionated bunch, but we're awfully nice when you get to know us.

I had a similar sneaky method - my mom kept a box of Harlequins and other bodice-rippers under her bed, and I would read them when I was sick (I always lay in their bed when I was sick). I read some pretty racy books, it's kind of how I learned about sex, for better or worse. The Calder series by Janet Daily and the Texas Rich series by Fern Michaels especially stick in my memory. Whew! :blush5:

Hmm, I read your daughter's review and the one she linked (her friend?) and I have to say, this book doesn't sound like my thing. I like plot and characters! I like people to do things for well-motivated reasons, psychologically. I will take a stab at this book but I do not promise to like it. Or finish it. :001_tt2:

Speaking of romances and mothers, I started reading GH's The Convenient Marriage last night. This was the first book I can remember my mom chuckling and chortling through, and reading passages aloud to me. It's actually what got me interested in reading GH. I think I did read The Grand Sophy first, and loved it, but I probably read The Convenient Marriage second, and it's one of the few we didn't own so I probably haven't read it since I was 13 or 14 (unlike The Grand Sophy, which I've re-read multiple times). It's one of her earliest books, from 1934, a Georgian rather than a Regency era book. And it's not as good. The characters aren't quite as good - Rule is great, but Horry is only the precursor of great young heroines to come like Hero and Arabella. Anyway, it's fun to revisit these old friends, and thank you to Amy for recognizing this book when the only things I could remember about it was that the heroine has thick eyebrows and she stutters!

My sneaky reads from my mums books included some George Eliot and medical journals 😂

If you want your kids to read literature you just gotta hide it!

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 16

Finished a classic Agatha Christie audiobook.  Hercule Poirot's Christmas.  Using an Agatha specific rating scale of:

• Wow. Cool twists.  I liked it.
  • It was okay.
  • Oh, this story was from her old cranky years where she complained about guys with long hair and that girls didn't know how to behave like ladies anymore. 

I would rate this one as "Wow.  Cool twists.  I liked it."

• Like 18

I defer the decision on when to read Beast and the Blonde to somebody else. Now or later is fine with me.

Shukriyya, Penguin, anyone else - I wonder if you'd be interested in doing a read-along of From the Beast to the BlondeMaybe chapter-a-week, like some here do with the SWB books, or maybe at a quicker pace - two or three chapters a week, whatever everyone thinks they can manage and would enjoy.

Excellent! We can do our challenge in any order, so number 10 could be later in the year but doesn't have to be. Anyone have a preferred start date or a preferred pace (or prefer not to set a group pace)? I think I would prefer to read two chapters a week rather than one, which would mean it would take almost six months to read, but I'm flexible. I'm just happy to have people reading it with me so I feel more like I really do have to take it off the shelf and open it - and not just flip through looking at pictures.

Since it seems we have quite a few ladies who want to do a Beast and The Blond readalong, I have a suggestion based on your conversations.  June is halfway through the year and designated as fantasy month.   If you want to start in June and there are 23 chapters plus the conclusion (approximately 420 pages), I can start posting chapters # and pages on each Sunday thread intro.  One chapter a week will take you through the end of the year.  It will also give time for all to find the book.  Let me know if you want me to guide or just want to do casual.

Thank you, Robin, for offering to add yet more to your slate. That said I think I'd prefer a casual read-along, not sure about the pace but two chapters a week seems reasonable. National Fairy Tale Day, yes there is such a thing, is on Sunday, February 26th. We could begin it then?

In other worlds, last week ds and I went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I haven't read any of Rowling's books nor have I been to an actual movie theater in forever but a good time was had by all. We chose an early matinee and it was a great experience. No crowds, great seats and hardly anyone in the theater. The movie was a romp into a fantastical realm that exists alongside our realm. Just my kind of thing :D

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 16

Thank you, Robin, for offering to add yet more to your slate. That said I think I'd prefer a casual read-along, not sure about the pace but two chapters a week seems reasonable. National Fairy Tale Day, yes there is such a thing, is on Sunday, February 26th. We could begin it then?

In other worlds, last week ds and I went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I haven't read any of Rowling's books nor have I been to an actual movie theater in forever but a good time was had by all. We chose an early matinee and it was a great experience. No crowds, great seats and hardly anyone in the theater. The movie was a romp into a fantastical realm that exists alongside our realm. Just my kind of thing :D

February 26th sounds great to me! Glad to hear you had a good time at the movie. Sounds lovely. 

• Like 11

I finished my first book of the year - How to Bake Pi by Eugenia Cheng. I had heard her speak at a math event and got the book from the library hoping to cook through the recipes with my daughters as a hook to talk more math with them. The recipes weren't that great, but the math metaphors were enlightening. It isn't a deep math book, though, more like dangling feet into the side of the pool. But one daughter at least plans to read the books... I'd love to reader a deeper and heavier math book next.

I'm reading Down the Garden Path before bed and find it pretty funny, although not so quotable, which disappoints my husband who wants to know why I'm laughing aloud. I made it through the introduction to City of God so now into the meat of the thing. The book club on the first book (it is split into 22) meets this weekend, so I'd better get cracking! It is an in-person book club with a friend (or friends? not sure yet) from my church.

I just got History of the Ancient World and Better than Before from the library to start chipping away at.

I do a very strict Charlotte Mason homeschool with my kids and notice that it has affected my reading; I now read short amounts in any one sitting of any book that I care to remember, but I always have a large stack of books going.

Emily

Is that the SWB one? I'm hoping to read through that this year.

I find I tend to have a lot of books going at once now too. In part I think that's because I'm moving toward non fiction and I can't take on chunks but also because my available reading time is often short and scattered. The downside is I often have to return half finished books to the library.

• Like 11

In addition to Underground (non-fiction), I picked up some light, funny, action fiction that I started earlier this evening: The Regional Office is Under Attack! by Manuel Gonzales. So far, it's pretty rip-roaringly fun & fast to read. It's like Die Hard (the movie, which has already been referenced twice in the book, lol) & a superhero movie in written form. Fun popcorn reading. :lurk5:

regionaloffice-e1460145786935.jpeg?fit=2

I have no idea where I first heard about it, but it was most likely on a list or article linked on here. Here's an article from Tor [Don’t Trust the Interns (or the Narrator): The Regional Office is Under Attack! by Manuel Gonzales], which makes me think I might have seen it in something Kareni posted.

I'm not super-far into it yet, but I'd say if you enjoyed Daniel O'Malley's The Rook, this might be a fun one for you to read too. The Guardian calls it a book for Buffy fans in its review. (I've never seen Buffy, but I think that's probably accurate.) The Guardian's review also points out that you should be a movie fan to read the book; I agree. I love action movies & can totally picture the scenes that Gonzales is painting.

I listened to this over the summer -- and abandoned it about half way through. It might be a better read in print but honestly, I never cared enough to find a print version and finish it. I seem to recall that it was the jumping into the back stories that finally did me in. I really wanted to like it as I'm a Die Hard fan, too.

I'll be curious what you think.

It has been on a list lately because I remember the Buffy bit. I loved Buffy and have the first season on dvd somewhere. My teen dc's would probably enjoy Buffy...... I also adore The Rook.

I can get both the book and the audio on overdrive. I had been leaning to the audio when Jenn chimed in. :lol: Since my account is full I await Stacia's comments.

Laura (Mothersweets),

Happy Birthday!!!

birthday-candle-smiley-emoticon.gif

Happy Birthday from me too!

• Like 12

Tell her no rush on the Dr. Who but we would love to hear what she thinks about it.

About grilling salmon......Do you have a grill pan? http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/test-five-best-griddle-pans I have worn out several over the past few years and love them. It's how I do salmon. I buy a fresh side normally and slice into our sized pieces (they have grown with the kids) but we get 2 or 3 meals out of it normally. I marinate it for about an hour in something that starts as soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic. Heat the pan and in about 10 minutes it's ready. Flesh side down first for few minutes (you want sear marks) then flip to flesh side. When it flakes well it's ready. This works with frozen too.

I hope everyone in the path of the ice storm stays safe and warm.

So I had a bunch of things marked for multiquote that I wanted to discuss but then my computer restarted and I lost them all. Boo! I'm going to try and go by memory.

Mumto2 - DD got the Doctor Who Fairy Tales for Christmas but hasn't started it yet. I just ran up to her room and moved it from the middle of the stack to the top of the stack on her nightstand. :laugh: We are new-Whoers so I won't be able to comment on how it works with the first eight.

Salmon - thank you all for the recipes. I bought some beautiful looking salmon at the grocery store and was planning on grilling it but DH informed me we are expecting a huge ice storm and he has no interest in grilling at the moment. Hurumph. Plan B is seasoning and foil packet. I will report back.

Ice Storm - Anyone else in the midwest getting ready to be iced in? The grocery store was crazy but the library wasn't. I guess I'm the only one stocking up on milk and fiction.

Moonraker's Bride - I added this to my to-read list based on the earlier conversation that I can't find in 8 pages of this thread. Looks like just my type of book. I looked to see what else the author (Madeleine Brent) has written and was shocked to find out HE wasn't a SHE. I thought that was fascinating based on genre and our recent discussion of male/female authors.

Harlequin - I just bought a western Harlequin! I don't think I've read any actual Harlequin's yet so I'm excited to get started. I'm wondering if it will count for the Western square on the Bingo ...

Jane - please assign me a Hemingway to read this year. I've read Old Man and the Sea and didn't like it. Whatever you assign I shall read with an open mind.

Tell her no rush on the Dr. Who but we would love to hear what she thinks about it.

About grilling salmon......Do you have a grill pan? http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/test-five-best-griddle-pans I have worn out several over the past few years and love them. It's how I do salmon. I buy a fresh side normally and slice into our sized pieces (they have grown with the kids) but we get 2 or 3 meals out of it normally. I marinate it for about an hour in something that starts as soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic. Heat the pan and in about 10 minutes the salmon is ready. Flesh side down first for few minutes (you want sear marks) then flip to flesh side. When it flakes well it's ready. This works with frozen too. Obviously you thaw it first.

Eta.....I normally bake it when I buy frozen now I think about it.

I hope everyone in the path of the ice storm stays safe and warm.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 13

February 26 is fine with me too. Same with 2 chapters a week. Since I think I am going to be able to use library books for this I would prefer to go a bit quicker so less renewal hassles. I can only renew 3 times online than I have to take the book in physically. It gets embarrassing! Let's try and do a reminder a week or two before so if anyone else needs to get a library book they can.

Fantastic Beasts is the first in theatre movie I have seen in years too. Really enjoyed it. I think I liked it better than the HP movies because I wasn't comparing it to the books. Our home ed group recently started renting a cinema at the party rate once a month at 10 in the morning. It seems to be working well and it's a friendly group. I just paid for my share of the new Star Wars in a couple of weeks.

• Like 14

February 26 is fine with me too. Same with 2 chapters a week. Since I think I am going to be able to use library books for this I would prefer to go a bit quicker so less renewal hassles. I can only renew 3 times online than I have to take the book in physically. It gets embarrassing! Let's try and do a reminder a week or two before so if anyone else needs to get a library book they can.

Fantastic Beasts is the first in theatre movie I have seen in years too. Really enjoyed it. I think I liked it better than the HP movies because I wasn't comparing it to the books. Our home ed group recently started renting a cinema at the party rate once a month at 10 in the morning. It seems to be working well and it's a friendly group. I just paid for my share of the new Star Wars in a couple of weeks.

:thumbup:

• Like 5

Thanks for the illumination, and I will reiterate that I have no knowledge base of Russian translators to draw from. I had long ago learned my lesson to research the translator (looking at you, Charles Archer) so I did agonize over it look into it before I bought.

I read more than one review that noted that while Pevear/Volokhonsky are typically awesome, Dr. Z does not get the raves.

Here is a link to the Guardian review and The Independent

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/nov/06/doctor-zhivago-boris-pasternak-translation

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/doctor-zhivago-by-boris-pasternak-trans-richard-pevear-and-larissa-volokhonsky-2171911.html

So I went with the older one. Well, I'll let you know what I think!

This is what makes translation discussions fun -- "yes but in this example, xyz is better!" ;) Please do let me know what you think of the translation when you read it. And I wouldn't want to make myself out to be a great expert either. I have picked up my share of crummy translations and been excited to realize I have found good ones but I have no particular background here nor have I read all that extensively. And I can't even compare to the original Russian so my opinion isn't all that worthwhile :)

• Like 14

I know I'm a month or two too late for this discussion but I'd love some recommendations on healthy eating books.  DH had some blood tests come back a little concerning and it's likely because of unhealthy diet - high fat, high salt, high sugar diet.  (We really hope it is anyway! The other options according to Google are things like bone marrow cancer and hepatitis which are so unlikely.  I shouldn't have googled it.)  There's been a lot of fast food and ramen and eating out in the last few months at my house and we have just got to knock it off. 

Cookbooks with whole food recipes?  Books that offer encouragement to eat healthy?  Books with easy healthy recipes?  Book on the importance of good nutrition?  I would love suggestions on any of those. 

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your dh. I recently read Jason Fung's first book and I highly recommend it. I just ordered his second book and look forward to reading that also. Don't be deterred by the title. Perhaps your husband is not obese. His first book is probably the best health book that I have ever read and I have read plenty. You may have seen my review on Good Reads? The first book makes so much sense. I think that the second book is the more practical and applicable one. 

9781925228793.jpg  9781628600018.jpg

• Like 15

Sorry to hear about your dh. I recently read Jason Fung's first book and I highly recommend it. I just ordered his second book and look forward to reading that also. Don't be deterred by the title. Perhaps your husband is not obese. His first book is probably the best health book that I have ever read and I have read plenty. You may have seen my review on Good Reads? The first book makes so much sense. I think that the second book is the more practical and applicable one.

9781925228793.jpg9781628600018.jpg

This looks interesting.

• Like 8

Ice Storm - Anyone else in the midwest getting ready to be iced in?  The grocery store was crazy but the library wasn't.  I guess I'm the only one stocking up on milk and fiction. 

Jane - please assign me a Hemingway to read this year.  I've read Old Man and the Sea and didn't like it.  Whatever you assign I shall read with an open mind.

I hope the ice wasn't too bad for you, Amy. Loss of power in the cold is wretched.

My Hemingway suggestion will be a short story, well a long "short" story that comes in two parts, Big Two Hearted River. Nick Adams finds healing in nature after having returned physically and emotionally scarred by war. There is no plot, really, just terse decriptions of the northern woods of Michigan. Yet this story speaks volumes to those of us who have been rejuvenated by a walk in the woods.

How nice that you had your private showing! And National Fairy Tale Day has me giggling with possibilities.
  • Like 13

I'm reading The Circle by Dave Eggers in anticipation of the movie with Emma Watson coming out. 

It's very interesting, but the main character so far is a bit flat.  No one has any curiosity or healthy skepticism about this slightly creepy company, apparently.  LOL  I don't mind that the technical advancements being made by the company are not necessarily believable, however I expect a normal human *reaction* to the overreach in personal privacy and things like that.  It reminds me of an episode of Black Mirror (British tv series, each episode is different like a modern Twilight Zone).

This was my experience too. Unfortunately, I didn't find that either the plot or the characters improved much. But the premise gives you a lot to think about, so it's not a complete loss. It could have been so much better, though.

I am not confident that I have read a Magarshack translation.  At least not since I realized the importance of a translator and got picky. I have seen commentary that he simply omits a lot that is hard to translate, and the weirdness and the jokes. I do think it is worth tracking down a good translation -- Amazon has the P/V translation used for $.01 ( $4 after shipping) and sometimes thrift books has better deals if you are spending 25$ or however much it is for free shipping now. Assuming you are in the US. 

Anna Karenina was my first exposure to Russian lit when I was in maybe 7th grade.  It was shelved in my childhood library one section over from the YA stuff, by title :) After I had run through everything I was interested in I just started on the next row.  I still have fond memories of the feel and smell of that book. No idea which translation it was. 

I definitely have the problem of "Well, I'd like to read that book, but it is probably better in the original. Better start learning a new language :) heheh. That is part of the reason I started studying Russian but I am SO far away from reading actual Russian books. Not sure it will happen.  Harry Potter in Finnish this year, Harry Potter in Russian next year? We'll see!

(and for anyone wondering, no I am not obsessed with HP. It is just that it is well translated into just about every language and when you are trying to bridge the gap between language courses and real books, it is helpful to have a story you are familiar with.) 

Thanks. I did locate the P/V translation through ILL, so I'm going to give that one a go. (Well, in a few weeks when I've winnowed down the stack I already have!) Appreciate your insights!

And thanks, Jane, for your comments on Hemingway. I had The Old Man and the Sea on dd11's reading list for the end of this year. I have read very little Hemingway myself (I think In Our Time is the only one) but I wanted to introduce dd to him and I knew that was the one the ps usually assigns. Thinking we'll go with some of the Nick Adams stories now.

• Like 12

Hemingway wrote that he was influenced by Turgenev, particularly A Sportsmen's Notebook. I think there is a parallel between that book and Hemingway's Nick Adams stories. Also, Hemingway titled one of his short stories "Fathers and Sons" after the Turgenev novel.

I am not a Gibson reader but my husband is. One day he asked to borrow my collected short stories of Hemingway because he had read an article somewhere in which Gibson called them a major influence on his writing. That is all I know about that.

Achebe was appalled by the attention given to Heart of Darkness. His novel Things Fall Apart can be read as a reaction to Conrad--certainly a critical commentary on colonialism. After reading those two works, watch Apocalypse Now. It paints Conrad's story against the backdrop of the Vietnam War.

Thank you, Jane! I have read Fathers and Sons, but it seems that there isn't a copy of the Nick Adams stories to be found in any library around here....so that will have to wait. I like Gibson and I liked the Old Man and the Sea, so I would really like to explore this connection one day.

Only after reading Things Fall Apart I read it was meant as a reaction to Conrad. It might have been better to read Conrad first then, I don't know. I'm reasonably certain that I own Heart of Darkness, but I can't find it..... I'll make a note to watch Apocalypse Now.

Thanks!

Edited by Tress
  • Like 11

The Nick Adams stories were published as a collection posthumously but you might have better luck finding a volume of the complete short stories of Hemingway.  (Or almost complete. :D )  The Nick Adams stories should be contained within.  Google can lead you to a list of titles.

• Like 10

The Nick Adams stories were published as a collection posthumously but you might have better luck finding a volume of the complete short stories of Hemingway.  (Or almost complete. :D )  The Nick Adams stories should be contained within.  Google can lead you to a list of titles.

Thank you! I can get 'The First Forty-Nine Stories' through ILL, that's a good start.

• Like 9

I may be an outlier because I read Old Man and the Sea in 11th grade and loved it. We also read Things Fall Apart that year and I also loved that book. Both those books really tugged at something inside me. That said when we read Native Son it was more disturbing to me due to a certain scene. Other than that one scene though it really made me think, and that was the moment I started to realize I lived in a very privileged world as a white person. All three of those books made me think in ways I never had before. I am glad they were assigned to me in English class. It just shows that every person is different as to when s/he is ready to read certain books. 

Speaking of white privilege and wearing the blindfold of ignorance I am listening to Everyone Brave is Forgiven and it has brought to light things I just never even thought of. With my rose colored glasses I never ever thought about the bad side of the evacuation of children in London to the country. Narnia this book is not. The book does not concentrate on children; they are simply in the background of the story. However, I am now cognizant of the fact that children were raped by foster parents, that physically/mentally handicapped children were not evacuated and neither were many black children. They were not deemed worthy of saving, and the people in the country refused to take them in. The few that were evacuated and taken in were beaten and starved. 

I am aghast at both my ignorance and reality. And at the risk of down playing the horrors of the Nazis and the holocaust in my opinion how the English (well pretty much all whites in every western country) treated minorities and handicapped people is not that much better than the Nazis opinion and treatment. The English may not have pointed the gun and pulled the trigger but they certainly did nothing to protect and help anyone they deemed "not fully human." It is sickening, and the fact that we have not even come that far from such attitudes is enraging.

Now that I am aware of the not so rosy side of the children's evacuation I will make sure my children know about it.  

• Like 15

I am aghast at both my ignorance and reality. And at the risk of down playing the horrors of the Nazis and the holocaust in my opinion how the English (well pretty much all whites in every western country) treated minorities and handicapped people is not that much better than the Nazis opinion and treatment. The English may not have pointed the gun and pulled the trigger but they certainly did nothing to protect and help anyone they deemed "not fully human." It is sickening, and the fact that we have not even come that far from such attitudes is enraging.

Now that I am aware of the not so rosy side of the children's evacuation I will make sure my children know about it.  

I had a similar revelation after reading 'Oorlog en terpetijn', which Loesje recently mentioned. The way the Belgians and French transported German and Jewish civilians and refugees, with the exact same cattle wagons as the Nazis, the way the Belgians and French detained the German and Jewish civilians and refugees, in the exact same sort of camps with no sanitation, very little food and armed guard and barbed wire, where they died by the hundreds. In the Netherlands we have all grown up with the same images of those horrible, horrible nazis....those cattle wagons...and of course it was horrible, but apparently.....this was how every nation transported minorities :blink: . Someone forgot something during my history lessons....

(To be fair to my history teachers, they did teach about Dutch colaboration etc during WW2, so it wasn't all rose coloured.)

• Like 15

I may be an outlier because I read Old Man and the Sea in 11th grade and loved it. We also read Things Fall Apart that year and I also loved that book. Both those books really tugged at something inside me. That said when we read Native Son it was more disturbing to me due to a certain scene. Other than that one scene though it really made me think, and that was the moment I started to realize I lived in a very privileged world as a white person. All three of those books made me think in ways I never had before. I am glad they were assigned to me in English class. It just shows that every person is different as to when s/he is ready to read certain books. 

Speaking of white privilege and wearing the blindfold of ignorance I am listening to Everyone Brave is Forgiven and it has brought to light things I just never even thought of. With my rose colored glasses I never ever thought about the bad side of the evacuation of children in London to the country. Narnia this book is not. The book does not concentrate on children; they are simply in the background of the story. However, I am now cognizant of the fact that children were raped by foster parents, that physically/mentally handicapped children were not evacuated and neither were many black children. They were not deemed worthy of saving, and the people in the country refused to take them in. The few that were evacuated and taken in were beaten and starved. 

This is the book my book club chose for our next selection. I haven't started it yet. Your description reminds me a bit of Orphan Train which was a chapter in US  History that I knew nothing about. 

• Like 13

We're iced in! Unfortunately, just before I headed out to the library to pick up holds and "stock up" last night, I ended up at the ER with my mother until 3:30am. She's fine and home resting now, but the ice came earlier than expected and the library never opened today. I was looking forward to Norwegian Wood, too. I'm assuming it'll be Tuesday before the library reopens.

I have enough to tide me over, but I've been eyeing some of the recommendations in this thread for the Kindle.

• Like 10

This is the book my book club chose for our next selection. I haven't started it yet. Your description reminds me a bit of Orphan Train which was a chapter in US  History that I knew nothing about. 

I also learned about the Orphan Train from a historical fiction which led me to more research. Yeah, amazing what the "good guys" keep out of history books and classes. 

Also, I've been thinking today. Can you imagine if Jewish ethnicity was not white? I don't like the term 'race' but I'm pretty darn certain that the response to the holocaust would be very different if Jewish also meant black. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 12

I see from GR that some of you have read The Historian. Thoughts, yay or nay? It gets mixed reviews.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if my friend would like one of my all time favourites. I've read it twice. Once within a year or so of release and again with Stacia for Spooky October. My mind keeps turning over which books I remember you enjoying and I think .... I just don't know. :lol: But you might so I don't want to discourage you. It's long but an engaging story for the most part. Rather descriptive in a good way as I remember and it is quite exciting at times. Much of your potential enjoyment probably hinges on your interest level in Bram Stoker's Dracula and the vampire lore it lays out. This book definitely is connecting to Stoker.

I just went and read the goodreads reviews. A bit harsh imo. This book is meant to be entertainment and for me it achieved it. ;) I am actually planning to read it again this year. Probably in October.

• Like 15

I'm sitting here trying to decide if my friend would like one of my all time favourites. I've read it twice. Once within a year or so of release and again with Stacia for Spooky October. My mind keeps turning over which books I remember you enjoying and I think .... I just don't know. :lol: But you might so I don't want to discourage you. It's long but an engaging story for the most part. Rather descriptive in a good way as I remember and it is quite exciting at times. Much of your potential enjoyment probably hinges on your interest level in Bram Stoker's Dracula and the vampire lore it lays out. This book definitely is connecting to Stoker.

I just went and read the goodreads reviews. A bit harsh imo. This book is meant to be entertainment and for me it achieved it. ;) I am actually planning to read it again this year. Probably in October.

Yes, the reviews to seem to veer wildly one way or the other. 

I couldn't finish it. I became really bored with it and decided it wasn't worth my time. 

I really liked it.  I think if you are a fan of Dracula you'll like it.

Shukriyya, I loved The Historian. I thought it was a great spin-off (probably the best I've read) from Stoker's Dracula. I do think you need to be a fan of & familiar with Stoker's version to get the most out of The Historian.

That said, I'm not sure if you would like it or not. I know our tastes overlap on some things & not on others, but I have no idea which way you'd go on this one.

Thanks all, for your input. I'm less interested in the vampire aspect and more drawn to the locale, the descriptions of Bohemia and other parts of eastern Europe. If it's heavy on vampire lore than it mightn't be for me but if it's heavy on the locale it's a possibility. I'm going to put it towards the end of my \ tbr list. As Mumto2 said, a good read for October perhaps. 

• Like 11

I also learned about the Orphan Train from a historical fiction which led me to more research. Yeah, amazing what the "good guys" keep out of history books and classes. 

Also, I've been thinking today. Can you imagine if Jewish ethnicity was not white? I don't like the term 'race' but I'm pretty darn certain that the response to the holocaust would be very different if Jewish also meant black. 

Tread lightly, my fair ladies. I really don't think this is the appropriate forum to discuss because it just opens up a whole ball of wax which can lead to a melt down.  I might be mixing metaphors but lets just not go there.  I'm in a ranting mood thanks to facebook and just divorced or been divorced by long time friends today.   I don't want to bring any of that here and I've been biting my tongue all morning.  So...  Time to move on. Change the subject, change the channel.  Please! 

:grouphug:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 11

Funerals for 38 year olds are just not okay.  A guy I grew up with passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Saturday.  He filled his 38 years, though.  He was smart, talented, and cared deeply about all his friends.  Everyone should strive to live a life that ends with people saying the things about you that his friends and family said about him.

• Like 11

I feel like I am too. I check out a ton of books that I end up sending back. First for style reasons - if it isn't really well-written (by my standards, admittedly) then i won't bother with it no matter how great the story is supposed to be. I frequently read just a few pages or the first chapter then reject. But sometimes I will be in the middle of a book, and I'll think, "Why the hell am I reading this?" and drop it despite having invested hours in it. I'm working on getting better about doing that sooner. :tongue_smilie: And then sometimes the book is fine, it's just not the right thing for the mood I'm in at the moment. I read more than 200 books last year, but I rejected over 100. It will be interesting to see what I do when I get nearer the end of this Big Bingo challenge - will I obsessively fill out each square? Or will I let some go? I'm looking at two categories right now that I know will prove troublesome: "Man-hunk on the cover (a bodice-ripper)" and "I would be embarrassed to be seen reading this on the subway." Because about the only thing I think I'd be embarrassed to read in public is a bodice ripper. So does that mean I have to read two things I'd never pick up voluntarily? :scared: ;) :D

ETA: I hope that didn't insult anybody - I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with romances or bodice-rippers! They just aren't my thing, and I especially think I'd feel uncomfortable reading one in public.

I have no idea what you just said, but I think I love it ;) :D

Since you love Georgette Heyer, can I recommend Judith McNaught's historical books aka bodice rippers. I don't read them anymore...too much everything lol...but they are still some of my favorite stories (minus the bodice ripping lol). My very favorite is Almost Heaven. Another one that I loved was Kathleen Woodweiss's Shanna, though that is not a regency.

• Like 7

I think these discussions are relevant, not just to the BaW group (since it relates to things we are reading), but also to the WTM forums as a whole (since they promote a classical, well-rounded education -- which would include multiple viewpoints of history & other topics).

And, in the past year or two, we have definitely had plenty of conversations on this thread on exactly these topics relating to race, race relations, etc... because so many of us read things such as Between the World and Me, The New Jim Crow, etc.... (Actually, I have The New Jim Crow sitting here on my shelf right now.) I guess I consider these posts just additional conversations & thoughts on similar topics that we've already (very nicely) discussed among ourselves in our fantastic, supportive BaW group.

I don't think anyone is trying to start a controversy, but rather just state some internal musings that reading has spurred. And that's a good thing, right? (Plus, you know me. I'm the anti-censorship person, so I'm going to speak up! :tongue_smilie: :lol: If there's anyone being contrary, you can point the finger at me!)

Anyway, I love the comments & thoughts people in our group post, even if I don't always agree with them. (I'm looking at you, Wuthering-Heights fans! ;) ) And that's ok. I think that's what makes our group special -- we can handle discussions in an intelligent & adult manner without it deteriorating.

Sounds like you've had a rough day, Robin. :grouphug: Hugs & hang in there.

What she said (except for Wuthering Heights. )

Extra hugs to Robin and anyone needing them.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 12

I think these discussions are relevant, not just to the BaW group (since it relates to things we are reading), but also to the WTM forums as a whole (since they promote a classical, well-rounded education -- which would include multiple viewpoints of history & other topics).

And, in the past year or two, we have definitely had plenty of conversations on this thread on exactly these topics relating to race, race relations, etc... because so many of us read things such as Between the World and Me, The New Jim Crow, etc.... (Actually, I have The New Jim Crow sitting here on my shelf right now.) I guess I consider these posts just additional conversations & thoughts on similar topics that we've already (very nicely) discussed among ourselves in our fantastic, supportive BaW group.

I don't think anyone is trying to start a controversy, but rather just state some internal musings that reading has spurred. And that's a good thing, right? (Plus, you know me. I'm the anti-censorship person, so I'm going to speak up! :tongue_smilie: :lol: If there's anyone being contrary, you can point the finger at me!)

Anyway, I love the comments & thoughts people in our group post, even if I don't always agree with them. (I'm looking at you, Wuthering-Heights fans! ;) ) And that's ok. I think that's what makes our group special -- we can handle discussions in an intelligent & adult manner without it deteriorating.

Sounds like you've had a rough day, Robin. :grouphug:  Hugs & hang in there.

Since y'all aren't  letting me get away with my bad mood, I'll apologize and share what I told Mom-ninja.  It's all on me because the term "white privilege" sets me off.   It's a socialism construct from back in the 30's which in my opinion is being used today by movements or groups of people to shame and divide the races and classes.  Make people feel guilty for something they aren't really guilty of.  If you had said reading these books revealed my ignorance about certain things and differences on how I view the world, it wouldn't have bothered me. Far be it for me to tell you how to speak or think and I'm sorry if I upset you.   I just don't see white or class structure as being a privilege.   We are what we are and sometimes yes, we are ignorant of how some people are treated because it isn't within our purview.  At certain ages, we gain more wisdom and think oh man, I didn't know so and so had it so bad.  We can't change the past. Just be aware of it and make sure it doesn't happen now.   Unfortunately there are people who want to drag down people instead of lifting themselves up and working for respect or advancement.   I'm sorry I reacted the way I did.  

Carry on~

:001_wub:

• Like 18

I have just discovered* whispersync... I may never have money again.

* I knew it existed but I never used it before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have to figure this out! I tried doing it with a book last year and could never get it to work. I'm not sure if I bought the wrong version of the book or what, but this would truly change my world. (And probably Amazon's stock price.) 

My ten-year-old son finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today.  As he read the book he was horrified about how horrible Umbridge was ("I hate her more every page.") and then, at the end, he was so sad about Sirius ("I was really attached to him!") and the Dumbledore is amazing feeling has begun to fade ("He really should've told Harry this sooner.  Harry needed to know all this!").  After reading the Snape's Worst Memory chapter, he started questioning whether Snape is all bad or if he has reason to hate someone who looks like a guy who was a jerk to him in school.

When he closed the Kindle after he completed the book, he had a look on his face I know well.  It was the look of having just finished an amazing book and not quite being able to pull yourself totally out of that world and kind of wondering why the rest of the world is still going on while you are trying to finish processing what you have just read.

He has definitely joined the ranks of JK Rowling lovers everywhere.

Tonight there is an owl outside hooting.  We live in the middle of tons of houses inside of the city of San Antonio and, yet, there's this big, beautiful barn owl that lives here and hoots almost every night for a while (one night it was in the tree in our yard and we got to see it).  I told Fritz the owl is just making sure of where he lives since he will, after all, be turning 11 in July.  He has to be sure of where to deliver his letter.  Fritz said, very seriously, "I hope I do get a letter.  I would be so happy to know magic is really true."

He will get a letter.  His older brother got one 4 years ago (his owl still lives on a shelf in his room to this day).  My daughter pointed out she didn't get a letter.  We hadn't come up with the idea yet when she turned 11.  So she has decided she must be a squib.

It's so fun watching Fritz discover Hogwarts, magic, and Harry Potter.  I love sharing books I love so much with my kids!

• Like 20

My ten-year-old son finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today.  As he read the book he was horrified about how horrible Umbridge was ("I hate her more every page.") and then, at the end, he was so sad about Sirius ("I was really attached to him!") and the Dumbledore is amazing feeling has begun to fade ("He really should've told Harry this sooner.  Harry needed to know all this!").  After reading the Snape's Worst Memory chapter, he started questioning whether Snape is all bad or if he has reason to hate someone who looks like a guy who was a jerk to him in school.

When he closed the Kindle after he completed the book, he had a look on his face I know well.  It was the look of having just finished an amazing book and not quite being able to pull yourself totally out of that world and kind of wondering why the rest of the world is still going on while you are trying to finish processing what you have just read.

He has definitely joined the ranks of JK Rowling lovers everywhere.

Tonight there is an owl outside hooting.  We live in the middle of tons of houses inside of the city of San Antonio and, yet, there's this big, beautiful barn owl that lives here and hoots almost every night for a while (one night it was in the tree in our yard and we got to see it).  I told Fritz the owl is just making sure of where he lives since he will, after all, be turning 11 in July.  He has to be sure of where to deliver his letter.  Fritz said, very seriously, "I hope I do get a letter.  I would be so happy to know magic is really true."

He will get a letter.  His older brother got one 4 years ago (his owl still lives on a shelf in his room to this day).  My daughter pointed out she didn't get a letter.  We hadn't come up with the idea yet when she turned 11.  So she has decided she must be a squib.

It's so fun watching Fritz discover Hogwarts, magic, and Harry Potter.  I love sharing books I love so much with my kids!

Awwww. That just made my heart melt.  :wub:

I so hope one of my kids likes Harry Potter. Oldest never made it through them. Or the Little House books, or any series that makes me all swooney or happy. She loves to read, but we're on different planets book wise. I so feel for your son on all of that. I know that feeling all to well. I didn't read Harry until I was into my 20's and still got swept up. Ah to be able to read it through the eyes of a 10 year old. 

I've finally caught up with this thread — I feel like I've been running for about 10 blocks and am finally able to climb, panting, onto the bus!

This past week I read What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses, by Daniel Chamovitz. I was looking for books to use as part of a botany course for DD — something interesting and accessible but still scientifically accurate and detailed — and this fit the bill perfectly. One of the things I found most interesting was the number of genes shared by plants and humans, and the fact that mutations in similar genes result in similar dysfunctions. For example, there are certain genes which are associated with hearing impairment in humans because mutations affect the development of tiny hairs in the inner ear, while mutations in the same gene in plants affect the development of root hairs.

I have Euphoria, Norwegian Wood, and Autobiography of Red sitting on my night table and am trying to decide which to start first... 

• Like 13