Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW2: Happy birthday Haruki Murakami!!!

Robin M

Someone here read and liked Ammie Come Home by Barbara Michaels somewhat recently, maybe as a spooky. I just found a book post on this and other similar books on one of my quilt blogs https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/from-my-carolina-home-11659021/sewing-fiction-magic-ghosts-5168668341. Ammie Come home is still in my pile but I thought someone might find a new series they enjoy.

• Like 8

Hi Shawne! Glad you popped in. I was curious about your book when I noticed the Oprah's book club. An acquaintance was one of the first on her show with the book club. Back when she flew people places for dinner...... I think her club is more a recommendation now????

I don't keep up with Oprah or her book club. The only book I ever intentionally read that was part of her book club was waaaaay back when it first started. The book was Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi. I remember reading it on a plane to Europe.

I picked up Love Warrior as a thrift store find (it looked brand new) and I was compelled by the book flap description. I can definitely see why it was an Oprah pick though.

• Like 8

Glad to hear things went well, ErinE, and that you're on the mend!

Okay, you know how if you click on an author's name on Goodreads you see a list of their books, a bio, etc. and it might also link to their blog? Well, Geoffrey Chaucer's blog looks pretty entertaining.

I loved Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog! I'm glad it's still up and readable, even if defunct.

The Five on Brexit Island by someone other than Blyton https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31432499-five-on-brexit-island...the Five for adults and Ladybird for adults seem to be really popular at my grocery stores these days. Dh bought this one as part of a gift for a friend but thought I needed to look it over first. I like the Five from the past and their adult versions aren't too bad in this one. I'm not sure I can face the one titled The Five give up Booze (they give up gluten in another one ;) ). First I looked at the Goodreads reviews and the info there led me to believe one needs to understand Brexit as a Brit to find humour in this book which I think is true. It also said you needed to be emotionally over the vote or have voted to leave which is possibly true although I disagree with the leave part. Anyway it wasn't great or hilarious. It did illustrate some of the points well enough but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this book if you can't buy it at the grocery store. The ending of the book was weird and I am referring to the book not the politics. Once again only 120 pages with pictures. I read it in an hour. Dh is welcome to give it away! :lol:

Wee Girl, as I know I've mentioned, is a massive Blyton fan; but she generally doesn't care for the mysteries. Still she does like the Five Find-Outers ("Famous Five for The Small and Anxious"). Perhaps we'll skip the adult versions.

I had the misfortune to still be hanging about Scotland at the Brexit vote, and for some reason was frequently cornered and forcefully asked my opinion, which I was not fool enough to proffer. I felt like pinning a sign on me saying "American, not English."

• Like 13

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6060372-the-uncommon-reader was written as a tale of what happens when someone discovers reading for pleasure. In his story Queen Elizabeth discovers books and starts spending a large portion of her time reading. She creates havoc in the palace as she recommends books because one must read them. Cute and short, around a 100 pages so no bingo credit etc.

I read this a few years ago and thought it was really fun. A perfect "between more heavy reading" book. Kind of like sorbet between courses. :) 

• Like 8

Next up.. " The Polygamous Wives Writing Club" 😂 Caught my eye as I was browsing the library. Its diary extracts from LDS women who engaged in polygamy in the churches early years ( not the offshoot RLDS fundie groups of today).

Adding this one to my list! I'm LDS and have polygamous ancestors so this sounds fascinating. I've read a diary from a man's perspective which sounded like a generally positive experience, but I'm more interested in the woman's point of view. I think my great grandmother who left her polygamous husband had a diary but I haven't read that one.

• Like 10

Next up.. " The Polygamous Wives Writing Club" 😂 Caught my eye as I was browsing the library. Its diary extracts from LDS women who engaged in polygamy in the churches early years ( not the offshoot RLDS fundie groups of today).

That sounds fascinating. I used to have a guilty pleasure of watching Sister Wives when we had cable; this seems even more interesting! :) 

Hi. Game of Thrones is a funny thing, I think. I am a big fan of the show, and I thought for sure that I would like the books. I read the first one after Season One, but it just didn't feel worth continuing. But now, after thoroughly enjoying this most recent TV season, I am thinking about giving the books another go.

I actually read the books first, then watched the show. Now that the show has progressed past the existing books - and so many things in the later seasons were changed from how they happened in the books - I'm motivated to re-read the series.  To remember what "reallly" happened.  :001_rolleyes:

That's a great story! Funny how he asked you, if you wanted it signed. So the books get darker still? I found Book I dark enough already. :ohmy: I have Book II and III on my bookshelves, and will at least give them a try, but I'm not sure if I want to read the whole series. Yes, such a bummer that person died! He was my favourite as well. 

I love seeing your pictures as well!  Nice to see you here. :seeya:

I actually found the first book the hardest to take of the whole series. Partly because it took awhile to understand what he was doing - he definitely violates a lot of implicit author/reader agreements, like killing off loved main characters and having really bad things happen to good characters!  The scene with Sansa's direwolf Lady is what really got me.  I actually started reading this book years ago and stopped, then came back and read the series in 2015.  Now I'm doing a re-read, but I'm skipping Book 1 - because it was the darkest and most upsetting for me, and because the series was most true to the book in the first season. It's later where they diverge more significantly.

• Like 11

I will probably wait until G RR Martin finishes the books to read them, and by then it will have been a looong time since I read the first.

One of my other favorite TV shows was Dexter, and again I tried the book after being a fan of the series. Didn't like the book at all!

I nearly always like book in book vs. movie, but I am two for two TV for book vs. series, lol.

• Like 11

I will probably wait until G RR Martin finishes the books to read them, and by then it will have been a looong time since I read the first.

One of my other favorite TV shows was Dexter, and again I tried the book after being a fan of the series. Didn't like the book at all!

I nearly always like book in book vs. movie, but I am two for two TV for book vs. series, lol.

I agree about Dexter - the TV show was dark and disturbing, but excellent. The books were not excellent, but were disturbing and somewhat silly after awhile.  Yeah, I read more than one of them . . .  :blushing:

Re: Waiting till he finishes - I'm starting to think that will be Forever!!!  I thought I'd do a re-read so that when the next book comes out, I'd be freshly caught-up and ready for it. But I"m not confident it's going to happen any time soon.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 11

I actually read the books first, then watched the show. Now that the show has progressed past the existing books - and so many things in the later seasons were changed from how they happened in the books - I'm motivated to re-read the series. To remember what "reallly" happened. :001_rolleyes:

I actually found the first book the hardest to take of the whole series. Partly because it took awhile to understand what he was doing - he definitely violates a lot of implicit author/reader agreements, like killing off loved main characters and having really bad things happen to good characters! The scene with Sansa's direwolf Lady is what really got me. I actually started reading this book years ago and stopped, then came back and read the series in 2015. Now I'm doing a re-read, but I'm skipping Book 1 - because it was the darkest and most upsetting for me, and because the series was most true to the book in the first season. It's later where they diverge more significantly.

Yeah, the dire wolf scene was horrible. (There is no shudder icon on Tapatalk or I would use it.) I think my biggest problem with the 2nd book was not that it got any darker, but that there was still not a shred of hope. And the only character I liked - who really seemed to be the most decent character -- was gone. (I am definitely the kind of reader who regards the killing off of beloved main characters a violation of the author contract! Lol)

But I also think that at the time I was reading it that I was influenced by my expectation that the series would be shorter than it has turned out to be. I think he was projecting 4 books then? And now it looks like it will never end. So when you're reading a a 3 or 4 book series and you get to the end of the 2nd book and you're still wallowing around in characters and despair, then you start wondering, can he really wrap this up in the time he says he will? Or at least that was my trade off. Obviously he couldn't wrap it up and I was in the process of going from 3 kids to 5 (twins) and didn't think it was worth it to put in the time to find out. But YMMV. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 11

Can I mark off the name square for *someone else* reading Merrick cause seriously that's as close I'm getting to Anne Rice and I am not interested in the Elephant man either?? (And my name is Merrick)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You're allowed to use your middle or last name for that square, too. 

• Like 6