Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW2: Happy birthday Haruki Murakami!!!

Robin M

Just got a book package from our Stacia. Out of the blue. Colony by Hugo Wilcken. Thank you, my dear :D

Both a page-turning adventure story, and a bold novel of ideas, Colony takes an historical background familiar to readers of Henri Charrière's ‘Papillon’, and twists it into a metaphysical journey. Brilliantly evoking an atmosphere of colonial decline in the tropics, the novel explores the shifting natures of identity, memory and reality. 

• Like 18

Oh my word,  just had to stop back and say thank you for the warning. I popped my earbuds in to listen today rather than over my bluetooth speaker while cooking as I usually do because of it. THANK heavens. I would've died if it had been blaring outloud with the kids standing in there. I wasn't expecting anything near as graphic as what came across. I'm no sheltered girl either- when I first started working in HIV research it was with male prostitutes which man, the stories I have- but wow. I really was blindsided by it, I think because of the difference in tone from the TV series. Perhaps it was the clinical treatment or something, but it hit me rather hard. i have seen enough abuse in my life from working with those young men, that I could have happily skipped over that entire section of the book. I'm not through it yet and am still glad I'm reading the book, but it's a long way from the sappy TV series I just finished watching! It's definitely more real than I expected. More Tijuana nightmare than sappy Pretty Woman type story. Anyway, thanks for the warning. I'm even more glad I shelved it on audible when dd was 11!!! Definitely not a car listen with the kiddos in tow. 

I couldn't listen to Call the Midwife -- that chirpy British voice describing all sorts of horrors just did me in!  I made it through one nightmarish chapter only to have her cheerily announce the next chapter title "Preeclampsia" .....and I hit the off button. Deleted it from my phone's audible app. 

It was otherwise fascinating, and I keep thinking I should try it in print, or watch the tv series. But never again the audio book!

LOL!

"Damn, we love a wily librarian."

Go wily librarians!  Fighting the good fight against our robot overlords!

Our library, in an effort perhaps to counter the anonymous nature of our library system with its auto check out kiosks, has a 2017 reading challenge which I signed up for today.  One of the categories is to read a book recommended by a librarian. Hah -- it means we actually have to talk to one another! 

• Like 18

Now see, Venetia is one of my favorites.  It's actually one of the GH books that I like even more now than I did in my youth. I love her character, she's someone I'd love to be friends with. And Lord Damerel!  So dreamy!!. I could see myself falling in love with a rake who quoted that much good poetry.

Apparently I have a thing for dark, dreamy poets. I'd go out with Adam Dalgliesh, too.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 20

I read two of Carrie Fisher's memoirs the beginning of last week (Shockaholic and Wishful Drinking). I've been working on The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt ever since. I'm loving it; it's apparently going to be an art mystery, but the characters are all so vivid and unique that I don't mind that the plot is taking a bit to get going.

If you are interested in adding me on Goodreads, I believe this link will work:

https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM1Njg1MTAzMTg6NDMw

• Like 18

The end is in sight for me with Sapiens. I think it's working out because I just read a book sort of on the same topics (The Sixth Extinction) but I've had it in my Audible library for a long time before finally getting into it. If I could do it over, I'd borrow a hard copy from the library, but too late now.

Rosie mentioned he had a good thing on Coursera but I can't find it there. Not sure if this is it, but if anyone is interested in the author, Yuval Noah Harari

I loved P.D. James' The Mistletoe Murders and Other Stories but I haven't gotten around to Cover Her Face. I always go in thinking I'll like those books because I've been reading Agatha Christie since childhood, but I feel better knowing I'm not alone on Whose Body? :001_smile:

I really liked P.D. James Cordelia Gray stories, and was disappointed she only wrote two that I've found. I haven't tried the Adam Dagliesh books yet.

• Like 18

I finished my second book of the year Murakami's "The Strange Library". It was odd but entertaining and fits in the translated bingo square. :thumbup1:

On the audiobook front, I'm halfway through The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Tomorrow I'm going to have start tackling the pile of actual books from the library.

Urm, isn't Strange LIbrary only about 96 pages long and a novella? You may not have been around for the conversation relating to the bingo guidelines.

I'll post them for everybody and put them up on the 52 books blog for reference.

Bingo Guidelines

Page count minimum is 200 pages. Novellas and rereads don't count as that would be too easy.

Book has to be started and completed this year, no carry overs from last year.

No double dipping.

Free space is book of your choice. Yes, you have to read a book to tick off free space.

Audiobooks are fine as long as it has substance and the actual book is over 200 pages in length

Clarifications:

There isn't a category for play this year so no plays.

Children and Young adult books are iffy and depend on if they have substance. The young adult novels today are like the regular adult novels of the 70's. Yes Harry Potter counts. Use your best judgement.

Finance – Can be fiction or non fiction

Western - As in cowboys, outlaws, lawmen and indians up through 1900's. Can be fiction or non fiction and from any country and just not U.S. related.

Debut author – Author’s debut from 2016 or 2017

Outerspace books -- space as in outer space, not of this planet, no air. Space beyond the atmosphere of earth. Can include climbing in a rocket and leaving our world or life on another planet or alien worlds.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 17

Second question was:   DH and I decided to each choose a book from the Great Books list to read and discuss. I thought his pick would be Kant, but he's leaning towards the Federalist Papers (uggghh, I'd rather have Kant). I was leaning towards a math or science selection, maybe On the Origin of Species, but I am not fixed on that path. It can't be so long it overwhelms our own reading for the rest of the year (War and Peace and the Summa are out :) ) I'd like to pick something comfortably readable and fosters good discussion. The problem is probably too many good choices rather than too few. Anyone have suggestions, ideas or favorites?   We are not married to any particular Great Books list, but were looking at this one since it is linked to free editions https://prodigalnomore.wordpress.com/great-books-of-the-western-world-as-free-ebooks/

Wow lots of choices, many of which are in SWB's Well Educated Mind.  Personally I'd go with Tolstoy, Proust, Mann, Woolf, Joyce or Cather because I'm more into fiction than non fiction.  Something that would foster good discussion - Michel De Montaigne's Essays.

I know I'm a month or two too late for this discussion but I'd love some recommendations on healthy eating books.  DH had some blood tests come back a little concerning and it's likely because of unhealthy diet - high fat, high salt, high sugar diet.  (We really hope it is anyway! The other options according to Google are things like bone marrow cancer and hepatitis which are so unlikely.  I shouldn't have googled it.)  There's been a lot of fast food and ramen and eating out in the last few months at my house and we have just got to knock it off. 

Cookbooks with whole food recipes?  Books that offer encouragement to eat healthy?  Books with easy healthy recipes?  Book on the importance of good nutrition?  I would love suggestions on any of those. 

Thank you!

When hubby and I needed a reset we went with  Dr Andrew Weil's guide to optimum health, threw out every thing with hydrogenated oils and started from scratch.  Also got a wonderful cookbook that even though we aren't vegetarians, had super yummy recipes - 1001 Low fat Vegetarian recipes.  Yes, we modified some because you just have to have some fat in your diet.  ;)    Blood tests will be affected by what you eat the week before.  Processed foods, pasta or meat will show up as high sodium, high cholesterol, etc.     Start with fresh vegetables and knock out the ramen. Really high sodium in Ramen.  Go with angel hair pasta, spritz with olive oil and Parmesan cheese and so much tastier.  You'll have to experiment. We did and now the guys love salmon.  

• Like 19

Robin, Thanks for posting the guidelines for Bingo again. Putting them all up on the 52 books blog is going to be really helpful. Looking through old threads is always a lot of work ans I know I will want to look at them more than once in the coming months.

I am another person who would happily read Dan Brown anywhere. I love my kindle because I can keep my books private but miss looking at what others are reading. I'm not a Twilight fan but this made me laugh..... One of dd's friends actually managed to find a real bookcover on some of the Twilight books that didn't give them away as Twilight and bought the books with her own money. Her mom had banned them but apparently wasn't very observant. I caught on because the cover was attractive and I always look hard at what others are reading.

• Like 20

started Call the Midwife today. I watched the series while recovering last month and now had to read the book, which I've had since someone recommended it for my daughter here a couple of years ago. Still plugging away at Consider This and Foundation: History of England.

I've never watched the series, but the books were among my favorites. I hope that you enjoy them. 

• Like 15

Bingo Guidelines

Page count minimum is 200 pages.  Novellas and rereads don't count as that would be too easy.  

Book has to be started and completed this year, no carry overs from last year. 

No double dipping. 

Free space is book of your choice. Yes, you have to read a book to tick off free space. 

Audiobooks are fine as long as it has substance and the actual book is over 200 pages in length

Clarifications: 

There isn't a category for play this year so no plays.  

Children and Young adult books are iffy and depend on if they have substance.  The young adult novels today are like the regular adult novels of the 70's.  Yes Harry Potter counts.  Use your best judgement. 

Finance – Can be fiction or non fiction

Western - As in cowboys, outlaws, lawmen and indians from the 1900's. Can be fiction or non fiction and from any country and just not U.S. related. 

Debut author – Author’s debut from 2016 or 2017

Outerspace books --  space as in outer space, not of this planet, no air.  Space beyond the atmosphere of earth. Can include climbing in a rocket and leaving our world or life on another planet or alien worlds. rec

Robin, I will be happy to come up with a list of Eastern European (non-Russian) authors as suggestions for Bingo participants.  Or readers might want to use these for their translated square (but no double dipping!!)

And here is a question for Rosie and Sadie:  Is Miles Franklin an author who would be assigned in school or cherished culturally?  I only learned of the Miles Franklin literary award in 2015.  I had read Thea Astley's A Boat Load of Home Folk and, when researching the author, learned that she had won four Miles Franklin Awards.

Around 1980 (back before some of you whippersnappers were born!), I saw the wonderful film My Brilliant Career.  At the time I did not read the book by Miles Franklin on which it was based.  But serendipity is a magnificent thing.  After reading Astley, I put My Brilliant Career on my library list where it sat until recently.  My library has the novel--not the film. I cracked open the book yesterday, a bit worried that this might be one of those things that appealed to a younger Jane but not her older self.  Nope. Franklin's novel was written when she was so young but it transcends her youth and the more than one hundred years since its initial publication.

I don't think most Americans are familiar with Miles Franklin.  So perhaps you can enlighten us?

Here is a more recent article from the Guardian on the importance of the film:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/australia-culture-blog/2014/feb/28/my-brilliant-career-rewatching-classic-australian-films

On a library note:  My Brilliant Career, an edition from 1980, has a pocket for a card, with the bar code above the pocket.  This means that the book has not been checked out in years.  Books now have a bar code on the back cover.  Happy to say that I borrowed two books without the modern bar code placement on my last library visit!

• Like 22

That was on one of the lists of people's most embarrassing books that I found when I did a search! I've tended to avoid books that were runaway best sellers in the past, but I'm reading a lot more contemporary fiction now, so I'm less likely to *not* read something just because it's popular.  I did read Gone Girl, I must confess. I really liked it as a beach read, it was perfect. 

I have tended to be very skeptical of best sellers.  I don't trust the American public's reading taste much, I think!  I have read both The DaVinci Code and The Firm - both left me... not wanting more.  I also really don't like genre romance, and *definitely* not bodice-rippers, so when I said I had a bias toward women authors, that was NOT what I was talking about, LOL.  Sorry to everyone that loves them, but I am staying far, far away from Outlander.  Not my cuppa. ;)  And definitely no Twilight, and Fifty Shades is right.out.

I think my bias against male authors in sci fi (and it does seem to be mostly sci fi, so when people said they had more male authors on their list because they were reading more sci fi, that made me lol) came from reading too much Asimov and Heinlein when I first started reading through the sci fi shelves at the library when I was in high school.  Now, I do like them both - I think I read through a huge chunk of what they've written, and still have very fond memories of I, Robot and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.  After a while I found them a bit heavy on the cool gizmos and short on character development.  When I found Ursula Le Guin, it was like a revelation. I'd actually stopped reading sci fi for many years and headed back toward reading more classics because I'm really picky. :tongue_smilie:  

I'm happy to have this group to help point me to best sellers and sci fi that will be up my alley...

• Like 24

Happy Monday :)

I had a couple questions on Saturday. Schadenfreude answered the first and I think the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle will be where I start with Haruki Murikami if I go there this year. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about but I am trying not to spend so much money on books, at least for a little while, and we are not library users.

Second question was: DH and I decided to each choose a book from the Great Books list to read and discuss. I thought his pick would be Kant, but he's leaning towards the Federalist Papers (uggghh, I'd rather have Kant). I was leaning towards a math or science selection, maybe On the Origin of Species, but I am not fixed on that path. It can't be so long it overwhelms our own reading for the rest of the year (War and Peace and the Summa are out :) ) I'd like to pick something comfortably readable and fosters good discussion. The problem is probably too many good choices rather than too few. Anyone have suggestions, ideas or favorites? We are not married to any particular Great Books list, but were looking at this one since it is linked to free editions https://prodigalnomore.wordpress.com/great-books-of-the-western-world-as-free-ebooks/

IIRC, there was talk here of a read along for SWB's The Story of Science. That could line up nicely with choosing a science from the GB list.
  • Like 15

I'm jealous of all of you that can listen to audio books.  I have never been able to listen to someone else read aloud.  My mind just starts to wander off.

I'm reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff.  It's amusing and entertaining.  I think if I weren't so tired (peri-meno insomnia), I'd find it even funnier so I'm trying to decide if I should switch to something else and come back to it later.

• Like 17

Ug.  Found out the results of the mri yesterday and I've torn up all sorts of things in my shoulder and need surgery.  Sigh.  I'm glad I didn't find out before we had our family ski vacation. This came on top of some other family upsets, and the day before, I embarked on a paint-a-landscape-a-day project as part of ramping up to try to make a go of it as an artist.  Looks like that is going to be cut short.  We need to schedule the surgery as soon as possible so I am semi-functional by August, when we go sailing.  Maybe I should paint two a day to make up for it.  It would be my dominant arm...  But the thing that really bothers me is that my real job is helping my mother and I am going to be less than useless for awhile.  I've already seen the negative effects of this.  Ug.  Meanwhile, I am still reading mostly internet stuff about starting a business, all very useful but not exactly exciting, and listening (for the umpteenth time) to Tied up in Tinsel before bed.  We listened to 101 Dalmatians on the long car trip to up to our friend's ski lodge, and I tried several other books that were no-gos and Rattle His Bones, my total fluff read, expired on me.

I haven't read other people's posts since before Christmas, life here being a bit chaotic, and I apologize if I missed any congratulations or tea-and-sympathy.  Hugs to all.  I'm sure I'll be back to devouring each post as it comes out soon!

Nan

• Like 23

I did read Gone Girl, I must confess. I really liked it as a beach read, it was perfect. 

I read Gone Girl and while it kept me wanting to find out what happens next, I was ready to throw it across the room by the end. 

I have tended to be very skeptical of best sellers.  I don't trust the American public's reading taste much, I think!  I have read both The DaVinci Code and The Firm - both left me... not wanting more.  I also really don't like genre romance, and *definitely* not bodice-rippers, so when I said I had a bias toward women authors, that was NOT what I was talking about, LOL.  Sorry to everyone that loves them, but I am staying far, far away from Outlander.  Not my cuppa. ;)  And definitely no Twilight, and Fifty Shades is right.out.

I read The DaVinci Code and The Firm as well, and felt the same as you. I went no further with those stories. It took me two tries to get through Outlander and I only persevered because a friend kept pushing me to read it. I hated it. I already mentioned that I'm embarrassed to have read Twilight

As for Fifty Shades,  it's not my thing At. All. However, I did speak at a meeting of our library board because they wanted to remove it from the shelves. I would have supported them if they decided not to spend library funds to buy it in the first place, but once they did I felt it was censorship to then remove it. They made national and worldwide news (the embarrassing kind) and ended up keeping it. 

• Like 23

I'm jealous of all of you that can listen to audio books.  I have never been able to listen to someone else read aloud.  My mind just starts to wander off.

I'm reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff.  It's amusing and entertaining.  I think if I weren't so tired (peri-meno insomnia), I'd find it even funnier so I'm trying to decide if I should switch to something else and come back to it later.

I can only tolerate audio books when I am in the car. And, fortunately, I am not in the car very much.

ETA: But I wish that I could focus on them. That would be lovely. Alas, I just can't.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 15

Nan, I'm sorry. Hope surgery goes well. 

I'm also not a boddice ripper fan. It might be because I rebel against my mother and it's all she reads. She loves Twilight and Outlander and I refuse to read either. I tried the first book of Outlander due on a friend's rec. Hated it. Could not finish it. I will never read Twilight or 50 Shades. I remember a lady I knew irl was trying to get me to read Twilight when it was all the rage. I told her I only read dead authors. ;) 

:lol:   That's a good idea. Or maybe this

I almost linked that book last night! I refrained though because I didn't want you to maybe get the wrong impression.  :lol:

I know I'm a month or two too late for this discussion but I'd love some recommendations on healthy eating books.  DH had some blood tests come back a little concerning and it's likely because of unhealthy diet - high fat, high salt, high sugar diet.  (We really hope it is anyway! The other options according to Google are things like bone marrow cancer and hepatitis which are so unlikely.  I shouldn't have googled it.)  There's been a lot of fast food and ramen and eating out in the last few months at my house and we have just got to knock it off. 

Cookbooks with whole food recipes?  Books that offer encouragement to eat healthy?  Books with easy healthy recipes?  Book on the importance of good nutrition?  I would love suggestions on any of those. 

Thank you!

I second the Saving Dinner books. Healthy and easy. Very easy. 

• Like 17

This talk about 50 Shades and other books you'd be embarrassed to read in public reminded me of a Saturday Night Live skit from several years ago.

Please note, some might find it offensive. It is SNL after all. And Fifty Shades of Grey. Together. :D

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/amazon-mothers-day-ad/n13488?snl=1

• Like 18

Nan, I'm sorry. Hope surgery goes well. 

I'm also not a boddice ripper fan. It might be because I rebel against my mother and it's all she reads. She loves Twilight and Outlander and I refuse to read either. I tried the first book of Outlander due on a friend's rec. Hated it. Could not finish it. I will never read Twilight or 50 Shades. I remember a lady I knew irl was trying to get me to read Twilight when it was all the rage. I told her I only read dead authors.

I almost linked that book last night! I refrained though because I didn't want you to maybe get the wrong impression.  :lol:

Yeah, my biggest worry with reading *that* one would be that dh would get the wrong impression!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This talk about 50 Shades and other books you'd be embarrassed to read in public reminded me of a Saturday Night Live skit from several years ago.

Please note, some might find it offensive. It is SNL after all. And Fifty Shades of Grey. Together. :D

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/amazon-mothers-day-ad/n13488?snl=1

Hilarious.  And even funnier (sadder?) was that the commercial I had to watch before I got to watch the clip was for .  . . single-serving Viagra doses.  At first I thought it was part of the joke!  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 18

Ug.  Found out the results of the mri yesterday and I've torn up all sorts of things in my shoulder and need surgery.  Sigh.  I'm glad I didn't find out before we had our family ski vacation. This came on top of some other family upsets, and the day before, I embarked on a paint-a-landscape-a-day project as part of ramping up to try to make a go of it as an artist.  Looks like that is going to be cut short.  We need to schedule the surgery as soon as possible so I am semi-functional by August, when we go sailing.  Maybe I should paint two a day to make up for it.  It would be my dominant arm...  But the thing that really bothers me is that my real job is helping my mother and I am going to be less than useless for awhile.  I've already seen the negative effects of this.  Ug.  Meanwhile, I am still reading mostly internet stuff about starting a business, all very useful but not exactly exciting, and listening (for the umpteenth time) to Tied up in Tinsel before bed.  We listened to 101 Dalmatians on the long car trip to up to our friend's ski lodge, and I tried several other books that were no-gos and Rattle His Bones, my total fluff read, expired on me.

I haven't read other people's posts since before Christmas, life here being a bit chaotic, and I apologize if I missed any congratulations or tea-and-sympathy.  Hugs to all.  I'm sure I'll be back to devouring each post as it comes out soon!

Nan

Oh Nan!  How dreadful! Sending you lots of good vibes.  Let me know if there is a distraction you need that I can send your way.

• Like 17

Have you read much Yoshimoto? Any books you'd recommend?

The only books of hers I've read are Kitchen (my edition has the Moonlight Shadow novella included) and N.P.  It's been at least 20 years since I read N.P, and I don't really remember much about it. I know I still have it somewhere, will have to dig it out for a reread.

• Like 16

The Russian River- just a couple of blocks east of us - is up over the bank, over the fence, and over the seats of the benches that you sit on to overlook it! There will be some significant flooding downstream, and there have been evacuations, but our town is staying high and dry, thank goodness. We have a creek that runs through town that is more risky than the river - two winters ago we had a freak rainstorm that led to kayaking in the Safeway parking lot! So far this has been a wet one but less damage than it could have been. Although the river won't crest till later today, and we have another storm coming Tuesday/Wednesday, so we're definitely still keeping an eye on things.  How is everybody else holding out? Some big storms in the southeast, no? And several inches of ice accumulated up in Oregon???

When I talked to my dh about the flooding in CA, he asked it the Russian River had flooded yet.  When we were living in Sacramento (1995-1999), we often heard about Russian River flooding.  And when we lived in coastal FL on an island and Tropical Storm Fay came and stayed over us for a few days, dumping over 30 inches of rain, we had kayakers on our street.

Our weather is doing much, much better.  Saw a facebook post from my newspaper which showed that the waterfalls and rivers that had run dry or almost dry in NOvember are now flowing freely.  And we are getting more rain this week.  We  still need it and parts of our state are still in Extreme drought and I think the entire state is still in some level of drought.  We still aren't all that good and I saw pictures of a lake and river in the northern part of our state, where I live, which is still very low,

I have been praying for flooding in CA

• Like 16

One thing about book titles, I suspect they are totally in the eye of the beholder. We (as in BaWer's know what many titles are) but the average person I wonder.....other than things like Sex and Girls does the average person actually know unless the book cover screams rubbish? After standing on the other side of the library desk issuing books to people I can honestly say most people just don't read what I would expect. Remember I live in a small place and know most at least a bit. It can be hard not to ask if they really plan to read that book....

Family funny, at least they thought it was funny........my family does make fun of my book titles frequently. I fully admit that I like fluff. I read good things intermixed and I read high volume. Normally their comments are sort of a vampires or werewolves? Which century for the book with Dukes etc? Normally I can return a huge stack of silly books without much being said.

But the other night we were watching telly and dh was on Amazon so asked if I had any Amazon returns(overdrive).....I was feeling pretty good about this one, wait for it ladies......me, Hillbilly Elegy can be returned. As soon as I said the name they all erupted with laughter and decided that had to be the most rubbish sounding book that I had ever read. Someone in my family asked if I wasn't embarrassed to have read that? They were serious. I tried to explain that it was not fluff but with a title like that no one believed me. They said impossible to rise above that title. I just gave up.

Btw for new people, my family lives in England where Hillbilly Elegy is not popular. Never seen it in bookstores etc. I found it through BaW.

Also I know I saw a list for non fiction best seller's by year when I was looking for one for my list. Would non fiction be OK for the best seller square, Robin?

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 24

Ug. Found out the results of the mri yesterday and I've torn up all sorts of things in my shoulder and need surgery. Sigh. I'm glad I didn't find out before we had our family ski vacation. This came on top of some other family upsets, and the day before, I embarked on a paint-a-landscape-a-day project as part of ramping up to try to make a go of it as an artist. Looks like that is going to be cut short. We need to schedule the surgery as soon as possible so I am semi-functional by August, when we go sailing. Maybe I should paint two a day to make up for it. It would be my dominant arm... But the thing that really bothers me is that my real job is helping my mother and I am going to be less than useless for awhile. I've already seen the negative effects of this. Ug. Meanwhile, I am still reading mostly internet stuff about starting a business, all very useful but not exactly exciting, and listening (for the umpteenth time) to Tied up in Tinsel before bed. We listened to 101 Dalmatians on the long car trip to up to our friend's ski lodge, and I tried several other books that were no-gos and Rattle His Bones, my total fluff read, expired on me.

I haven't read other people's posts since before Christmas, life here being a bit chaotic, and I apologize if I missed any congratulations or tea-and-sympathy. Hugs to all. I'm sure I'll be back to devouring each post as it comes out soon!

Nan

Shoulder surgery does not sound like fun. I'm sorry it's going to keep you from doing stuff. I hope you recover quickly.

• Like 16

I finished another book yesterday. It was total brain candy, but it was fairly funny. It was called Shit My Dad Says, and I think it's based on the author's twitter account by that name. Lots of lots of lots of bad language, but pretty funny.

Was that a very short lived TV show a while back? Maybe with a William Shattner?

• Like 12

I got no commercial before the SNL skit.  Is that because I have both Comcast tv and internet so NBC knows that and doesn't give me a commercial sort of like only cable customers can watch some episodes on the internet and yet I never have to prove it in any way?

Nan and Erin, quick healing and successful surgery wishes.

I finished my second book on Saturday which was a gift from my Secret Santa (do I relieve who that was here?). 

2. Death in Cyprus - M. M. Kaye    This is a  mystery that is based on an actual trip M M Kaye took to Cyprus in 1949 when she was with her husband in Egypt while he was stationed there for British military.  I really liked the story and plan to look for more of her books if they are mysteries too.

Currently reading - The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine by Alexander McCall Smith (another book from his NO. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books) which I received for Christmas (though I have no idea who gave me that) and also a book we picked up when we lived in Belgium- The Illustrated History of the Countryside by Oliver Rackham, a British botanist.  This book fits dusty designation since I haven't really looked at it since we bought it over 10 years ago.

I had a problem with Overdrive- it doesn't work with my Kindle.  But I tried it and so it is checked out to me on the kindle but I can't read it.  So now I have put it on wish list on my laptop.  I guess I should try to return it on the kindle, if I can.  Do I really need to buy a new Kindle Fire?  Mine is at least five years old.  But it works for Amazon purchases very well.

• Like 18

I feel like I need to defend Diana Gabaldon! The Outlander series, while it has romantic elements, is not a bodice ripper. It's more time travel historical fiction. The Song of Fire and Ice series has plenty of s*x (with less romance) and I've never heard anyone say they're embarrassed to read those books. I've read all the Outlander books, and Gabaldon does a great job of mingling history, biology, and medicine, and the conflict between modern (WWII and 1960s) vs. historical cultural norms.

I understand people may not like her books and I have no issue with it, but to group her writing with Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey... Ack! I had to say something. If you've never read her (and you don't mind a love story), give the first book a try.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 20

I got no commercial before the SNL skit. Is that because I have both Comcast tv and internet so NBC knows that and doesn't give me a commercial sort of like only cable customers can watch some episodes on the internet and yet I never have to prove it in any way?

Nan and Erin, quick healing and successful surgery wishes.

I finished my second book on Saturday which was a gift from my Secret Santa (do I relieve who that was here?).

2. Death in Cyprus - M. M. Kaye This is a mystery that is based on an actual trip M M Kaye took to Cyprus in 1949 when she was with her husband in Egypt while he was stationed there for British military. I really liked the story and plan to look for more of her books if they are mysteries too.

Currently reading - The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine by Alexander McCall Smith (another book from his NO. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books) which I received for Christmas (though I have no idea who gave me that) and also a book we picked up when we lived in Belgium- The Illustrated History of the Countryside by Oliver Rackham, a British botanist. This book fits dusty designation since I haven't really looked at it since we bought it over 10 years ago.

I had a problem with Overdrive- it doesn't work with my Kindle. But I tried it and so it is checked out to me on the kindle but I can't read it. So now I have put it on wish list on my laptop. I guess I should try to return it on the kindle, if I can. Do I really need to buy a new Kindle Fire? Mine is at least five years old. But it works for Amazon purchases very well.

Did it actually get delivered to your Kindle? My kindle reader doesn't always receive books well so I just send everything to my fire directly. Then I go into my reader and put the wifi on. On the index page I go into search, then search my items. This will bring up the book title, click on it and it downloads to the device. Hope this makes sense on your kindle but I think it's out there.

• Like 12

Did it actually get delivered to your Kindle? My kindle reader doesn't always receive books well so I just send everything to my fire directly. Then I go into my reader and put the wifi on. On the index page I go into search, then search my items. This will bring up the book title, click on it and it downloads to the device. Hope this makes sense on your kindle but I think it's out there.

Do you go to Amazon? When you borrow a Kindle book from an Overdrive library you have to actually go to Amazon and tell it to "get library book". Then you tell it what device you want it sent to. And you have to turn on wifi for the book to download. 

If you've done all of that Chris, you should probably call Kindle customer service (Kindle specifically, not Amazon CS) and see if they can help you. The age of the device shouldn't matter. I used Overdrive with my old Kindle Keyboard ereader and with my Kindle Fire HD - 2nd or 3rd generation I think. 

• Like 16

I used to be just like this. My husband is an avid audio book reader- he has a long commute and has listened to them since books on tape/CD were the option instead of Audible and smart phones- and for years I couldn't figure out the allure. When we first got together I asked to listen to one and I thought my eyes would fall out of my head with boredom. I kept thinking; They. Read. So. Freaking. Slow. I could've read seven pages in the span of their one!! And I blew audiobooks off for quite some time. I just didn't get it at all. 

Enter small children and no time at all to read. I first started listening to podcasts, and realized I could speed up the playing speed for the slow talkers and cram in something interesting in limited time (I'm a fast talker anyway so it seemed natural :) ) . Tried the same thing with Audible and it worked like a charm! That's when I began to be an Audible fan. It still has to be a certain type of book- usually harder reads I do better with because they need more time to process anyway- or something that lends well to a narrated story. Frankenstein through Audible was awesome. I think I got so much more out of the prose than reading it myself. Non-fiction works really well for me in this format for some reason too- that's how I've done all of SWB's History of....books. My selections don't all work out, but most do. And I don't always speed them up anymore, particularly as I've found more narrators I like and build off of those, but anyway I thought I would throw my experience out there. Audiobooks are such and awesome way to keep reading when you must be busy around the house cleaning or doing other things while you'd rather be reading! If you're ever willing to give it another crack, try one at a faster speed and see what you think. 

Can Westerns be from the 1800's? I was wondering if Roughing It by Mark Twain would count. I haven't read it yet and would like too.

Yes, I corrected the time frame and any western up through 1900's.  

I'm happy to have this group to help point me to best sellers and sci fi that will be up my alley...

Ha! Well guess I'm lumped in with American public's reading taste as I thoroughly enjoyed DaVinci, the Firm and Outlander series.   I remember the outcry about how Brown treated Catholic church and other entities in DaVinci code after I read it once.  Scratched my head over it, then read again, researched all the various things people had issues with.  End result - it's fiction people, lighten up.

Any who   -  we tend to avoid far reaching statements on this thread about people's reading tastes, american or otherwise as we have a diverse crowd here.  

IIRC, there was talk here of a read along for SWB's The Story of Science. That could line up nicely with choosing a science from the GB list.

Yes, we will start in February! 

I have been praying for flooding in CA

Ah, so it's all your fault!   :lol:

Also I know I saw a list for non fiction best seller's by year when I was looking for one for my list. Would non fiction be OK for the best seller square, Robin?

Yes, ma'am! 

I feel like I need to defend Diana Gabaldon! The Outlander series, while it has romantic elements, is not a bodice ripper. It's more time travel historical fiction. The Song of Fire and Ice series has plenty of s*x (with less romance) and I've never heard anyone say they're embarrassed to read those books. I've read all the Outlander books, and Gabaldon does a great job of mingling history, biology, and medicine, and the conflict between modern (WWII and 1960s) vs. historical cultural norms.

I understand people may not like her books and I have no issue with it, but to group her writing with Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey... Ack! I had to say something. If you've never read her (and you don't mind a love story), give the first book a try.

Amen, Sister!  Comparing Outlander to 50 Shades of Grey is just...   :zombiechase: 

Hugs Nan!  Let us know if you need any reading material sent your way!

• Like 18

Morning finds while cruising the interwebz

More non fiction -- Business books to watch in January 

2016 Costa Book Awards category winners 

Favorite non fiction titles of the month (so far) from Omnivoracious

For those into pod casts ---  Podiobooker 

Dava Sobel's latest - The Glass Universe review by The Smithsonian

• Like 18

Ha! Well guess I'm lumped in with American public's reading taste as I thoroughly enjoyed DaVinci, the Firm and Outlander series.   I remember the outcry about how Brown treated Catholic church and other entities in DaVinci code after I read it once.  Scratched my head over it, then read again, researched all the various things people had issues with.  End result - it's fiction people, lighten up.

It wasn't any of that for me. Any time people complain about the "inaccuracy" of fiction my response is pretty much the same as yours. It's fiction! No, for me it was his writing style. This satirical piece says it better than I can. 

I am going to figure out how to update my kindle.  I have to save everything though and am not sure how that will work.

It very well could be the update. The e-ink Kindle I used to have was older than any generation of the Fire and I could use Overdrive. There's been an Overdrive update recently though, and that could be the issue. Still, if you haven't updated your Fire in a while maybe that's the problem. If so, it's an easy fix. If not, it's probably time to think about a new Kindle. :)

• Like 19

Any who   -  we tend to avoid far reaching statements on this thread about people's reading tastes, american or otherwise as we have a diverse crowd here.  

A very diverse crowd here. And some of us are wantonly diverse in our book choices!  

I really enjoyed Da Vinci code and the first Outlander book. Never really enjoyed the next entries by either author, but both initial books were fun page turners for me. I read the entire Twilight series only because I was surrounded at the time by teens who were obsessed with the books. They appealed to my inner 12 or 13 year old self -- I would have gobbled them up at that age. I even saw a couple of the movies with my college aged niece. I remember threatening one of my young teen boys that I'd make him watch the Twilight movies as a punishment for some minor infraction or another! 

I would NEVER have tried any of Georgette Heyer's books if it weren't for all the really intelligent women I know and respect, both in IRL and here, who LOVE them! I've enjoyed the few I've read. I've also read a few romance books thanks to Kareni's example and recommendations.  Perhaps it is time to repeat her guest post on the romance genre?

• Like 24

layer.png

Now on the hills I hear the thunder mutter...
Nearer and nearer rolls the thunder-clap,—
You can hear the quick heart of the tempest beat....
Look! look! that livid flash!
And instantly follows the rattling thunder,
As if some cloud-crag, split asunder,
Fell, splintering with a ruinous crash,
On the Earth, which crouches in silence under;
And now a solid gray wall of rain
Shuts off the landscape, mile by mile...
~James Russell Lowell, "Summer Storm," 1839

• Like 21