Menu

The Man-cold has hit the house

PrincessMommy

He's been sick for 2 days now.  It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't moan and sigh so much. Seriously?  Am I going to have to get the smelling-salts out next?   :laugh:   Oh, and the man who hounds me to take meds the second I mention I've got some pain has refused all encouragement to take something. :huh: 

• Like 13

There is nothing worse in this universe than having to endure... (cue ominous music)... The Man Cold.

You have my sympathy.

Edited by Kinsa

I get a Man Cold from time to time.  I figure we have equal rights now.  If men can get Man Colds, then so can I.  The kids bring me drinks and keep me surrounded by tissues.  Of course, I do the same for everyone else in the family when they experience Man Colds.

If you haven't had a Man Cold ever, I recommend it.  It's in the same category for me as making sure my stocking is stuffed at Christmas. If everyone else in the family gets a stuffed stocking, then so does the mom.  If everyone else gets to be pampered babies about colds, then so does the mom.  It's pretty lovely to be pampered when sick. 

Now, the not taking medicine part drives me crazy.  Gotta take the medicine!

• Like 21

It must be going around. DH took to bed this morning complaining of "chills" and hasn't been seen since.

I was sick with a miserable GI bug all last week, and still managed to go to work until I passed out from dehydration.

oh, if only!!  I wish he'd take to his bed and stay there.   At least mine isn't too demanding, but still. I wish he would stop wandering around the house and moaning.  Oh and sneezing.  He cannot sneeze quietly to save his life.  It's almost a yell-sneeze - even when everyone else is sleeping. 

Thanks for commiserating.

• Like 7

oh, if only!!  I wish he'd take to his bed and stay there.   At least mine isn't too demanding, but still. I wish he would stop wandering around the house and moaning.  Oh and sneezing.  He cannot sneeze quietly to save his life.  It's almost a yell-sneeze - even when everyone else is sleeping. 

Oh, the yell-sneeze!  My dh does that, too.  Sets my teeth on edge, yet how can you say, "Stop sneezing!" to a sick person?  

My dh gets his Man Cold and then still tries to putter around the house, too.  I prefer if he just stays in bed like a proper sick person should.  Much easier on the care giver.

P.S. I've been known to moan over a bad fever, when my eyes hurt too much to read or watch tv...but I do stay in one spot and don't yell-sneeze at the family.  :)   They're free to flee my moans.

• Like 5

Aaaannd spreading those germs far and wide with each and every sneeze.   :glare:

You have my sympathies.  The man cold showed up a few weeks before Christmas.  Several days of solid of sleeping/sneezing/coughing/moaning/doing absolutely nothing.  Got rather indignant when he came out of the bedroom to watch the football game and I sent him right back.  Told him the TV in our room worked just fine and he could keep the germs there.  

Then I come down with it a few days later.  He comes home from work, I'm feeling miserable but trying to get some dishes done.  He glances at the stove, sees nothing being prepared, literally watches me have a sneezing fit and then asks "So you're not making dinner then?"   I sent him for pizza and told him he could sleep on the couch for a change. 

His cold turned into a sinus infection and I didn't even feel a little bad about it this time.   :huh:

• Like 5

Aaaannd spreading those germs far and wide with each and every sneeze.   :glare:

You have my sympathies.  The man cold showed up a few weeks before Christmas.  Several days of solid of sleeping/sneezing/coughing/moaning/doing absolutely nothing.  Got rather indignant when he came out of the bedroom to watch the football game and I sent him right back.  Told him the TV in our room worked just fine and he could keep the germs there.  

Then I come down with it a few days later.  He comes home from work, I'm feeling miserable but trying to get some dishes done.  He glances at the stove, sees nothing being prepared, literally watches me have a sneezing fit and then asks "So you're not making dinner then?"   I sent him for pizza and told him he could sleep on the couch for a change. 

His cold turned into a sinus infection and I didn't even feel a little bad about it this time.   :huh:

This... so much. 

Sorry you've been in the same boat. 

• Like 2

Mine refuses medicine, too, although he doesn't do the Man-Cold thing. He (and DS17) are super stoical about being unwell. That's kind of annoying, too, because I can't gauge the progress of illness. And then the refusal of medicine thing. I don't understand that. Nobody's giving you a trophy because you endured a sore throat without benefit of a Riccola or two. Just take the dang lozenge! It's not a vial of crack, for Pete's sake.

• Like 17

Oh, the yell-sneeze! My dh does that, too. Sets my teeth on edge, yet how can you say, "Stop sneezing!" to a sick person?

My dh gets his Man Cold and then still tries to putter around the house, too. I prefer if he just stays in bed like a proper sick person should. Much easier on the care giver.

P.S. I've been known to moan over a bad fever, when my eyes hurt too much to read or watch tv...but I do stay in one spot and don't yell-sneeze at the family. :) They're free to flee my moans.

My son doesn't just have the he sneeze... He seems to think he has to half jump and filling his body forward while he sneezes.... Like really?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

He's been sick for 2 days now.  It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't moan and sigh so much. Seriously?  Am I going to have to get the smelling-salts out next?   :laugh:   Oh, and the man who hounds me to take meds the second I mention I've got some pain has refused all encouragement to take something. :huh:

That all sounds quite normal to me. :huh:

There is nothing worse in this universe than having to endure... (cue ominous music)... The Man Cold.

I'm glad to see that you appreciate what we go through! ;)

No link to the video?

• Like 6

Mine refuses medicine, too, although he doesn't do the Man-Cold thing. He (and DS17) are super stoical about being unwell. That's kind of annoying, too, because I can't gauge the progress of illness. And then the refusal of medicine thing. I don't understand that. Nobody's giving you a trophy because you endured a sore throat without benefit of a Riccola or two. Just take the dang lozenge! It's not a vial of crack, for Pete's sake.

I was accused of promoting poison because I bought Cold-Eeze and suggested it actually be used for it's intended purposes.  I was told "those taste like garbage".  Yeah, the eight minutes it takes to suck one down might just cause your taste buds to cease existing.   :laugh:  

• Like 4

Mine refuses medicine, too, although he doesn't do the Man-Cold thing. He (and DS17) are super stoical about being unwell. That's kind of annoying, too, because I can't gauge the progress of illness.

That's MomsintheGarden in a nutshell!  She's a sickness martyr! :glare:

And then the refusal of medicine thing. I don't understand that. Nobody's giving you a trophy because you endured a sore throat without benefit of a Riccola or two. Just take the dang lozenge! It's not a vial of crack, for Pete's sake.

I WILL take a Ricola if I have a stubborn cough, but that's where I draw the line.  (One time I caught MomsintheGarden conspiring with our oldest son to take me to the emergency room for a little touch of pneumonia.  Fortunately I awoke from my unconscious state just in time to foil their plan!) :tongue_smilie:

• Like 6

But it is a badge of honor. Didn't you know they get extra "man points" for suffering through? I have one who does this and one in training. Makes me crazy. I have been known to say that I don't want to hear any complaining if they're not going to take basic steps to help the situation.

• Like 6

Sorry you're dealing with the Man Cold. 

Ds had it last week and was unable to do ANYTHING. Add to that the fact that college classes resume next week and he was trying to be as unproductive as he possibly could before he had to be a Responsible Person again.

Dh came down with the Man Cold yesterday and is moaning. Fortunately he doesn't expect to be waited on but he is of course sicker than anyone who has ever had a cold in the history of humans and colds. 

I get a Man Cold from time to time.  I figure we have equal rights now.  If men can get Man Colds, then so can I.  The kids bring me drinks and keep me surrounded by tissues.  Of course, I do the same for everyone else in the family when they experience Man Colds.

If you haven't had a Man Cold ever, I recommend it.  It's in the same category for me as making sure my stocking is stuffed at Christmas. If everyone else in the family gets a stuffed stocking, then so does the mom.  If everyone else gets to be pampered babies about colds, then so does the mom.  It's pretty lovely to be pampered when sick. 

Now, the not taking medicine part drives me crazy.  Gotta take the medicine!

I have occasionally let my cold turn into a Man Cold (though in truth I rarely get sick) but the stocking thing bugs me. I was given a gift this year that could have easily been put in my stocking but neither of my guys thought of that. Of course Santa filled both of their stockings. 

Oh the sneeze! Dh has been known to scare the cat (who had been sleeping peacefully at the foot of the bed)  just by sneezing.

Someday I hope my future daughter in law will thank me, because DS totally sees it and vows to not be that way.  Now, whether that attitude will stick with him remains to be seen, but I have hope for my man-child.   :)

I hope he holds up his vow. Not to be a downer but once ds got a little older he used to roll his eyes at his dad and the man-cold. At 19 though, he now gets man colds.  :glare:

My son doesn't just have the he sneeze... He seems to think he has to half jump and filling his body forward while he sneezes.... Like really?

This is dh. The cat doesn't just get scared because of the noise but because the whole bed shakes when he sneezes. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

When DH has a cold, he does this thing where he grunts or winces EVERY TIME HE SWALLOWS. What's wrong? Are you okay?  "My throat hurts."  Uh, yes.  That's what happens when you have a cold.  Do you really have to wince every single time??

ROFL - my 16 year old son does this.  He whines if he has a dry throat in the morning in the dead of winter.  When he was younger, I used to run him to the ped and get him tested for strep.  He's never had strep.  My dd has had strep twice and barely complained.  I have heard about the boy's throat condition WAY too much.

• Like 2

My husband will constantly call my name in a pitiful, sickly voice from his bed and ask me to take his temperature. He definitely takes his medicine though. I think that's one of his favorite parts of being sick.

I mostly just watch his appetite. If he's eating normal I don't usually worry.

• Like 2

SO glad to has my Dh is not the only one who does this, though I deeply sympathize with all of you! Not only does Dh moan, I have to hear him say, "I don't feel good." Every two minutes. And then there is that pathetic cough....know what I mean? Seriously. Imagine what it would be like if they had to give birth! I am going to try soooo hard to keep ds from ending up like this. Who cares if he won't be able to read or do math. At least he won't drive his future wife nuts!

Hugs and wishes for quick recoveries for all the Man Colds out there!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I woke up this morning feeling fine, but things started going south as I was taking the twins out to get prescriptions for glasses. At this point, I think there is no denying it: I have a full-blown Man Cold! :ack2:

And then the refusal of medicine thing. I don't understand that. Nobody's giving you a trophy because you endured a sore throat without benefit of a Riccola or two. Just take the dang lozenge! It's not a vial of crack, for Pete's sake.

I WILL take a Ricola if I have a stubborn cough, but that's where I draw the line.  (One time I caught MomsintheGarden conspiring with our oldest son to take me to the emergency room for a little touch of pneumonia.  Fortunately I awoke from my unconscious state just in time to foil their plan!) :tongue_smilie:

I've taken two Ricolas and so far there has been no need to dial 911.

If you are so inclined, any "Poor Little Bunny"s you could send my way will be greatly appreciated. :thumbup1:

(Oh, and please pray for MomsintheGarden, as well!)

• Like 3

Ugh, have you tried handing him pills and water and proclaiming "Take them or stop moaning." I recommend NyQuil; the green ones.

• Like 2

Ugh, have you tried handing him pills and water and proclaiming "Take them or stop moaning." I recommend NyQuil; the green ones.

I've found handing the pills and something to swallow them with (hot toddy?) at 2am by barking, "Take this right now!!!!" in your sternest voice makes the medicine go down.  Then the coughing subsides enough for him to sleep and he FINALLY leaves me alone so I can sleep too.  YMMV.  If DH hadn't taken that hot toddy, I would have.  Somehow it seemed like bourbon could make my experience of his man cold much more mellow.  (mostly partially joking).

• Like 3

I woke up this morning feeling fine, but things started going south as I was taking the twins out to get prescriptions for glasses. At this point, I think there is no denying it: I have a full-blown Man Cold! :ack2:

I've taken two Ricolas and so far there has been no need to dial 911.

If you are so inclined, any "Poor Little Bunny"s you could send my way will be greatly appreciated. :thumbup1:

(Oh, and please pray for MomsintheGarden, as well!)

Poor little bunny.

(I had a spare left over.)

I was feeling quite a bit better yesterday and am much better today.  I guess it just goes to show the extremely-high efficacy of the "Poor Little Bunny"! :001_smile:

(Unfortunately, I've learned that both my mother and my daughter have suffered from this same sickness recently.  It's certainly not a cold.  More like a 24-hour flu.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DH went into the shower this morning looking a little tired. Somehow in the half an hour he was in there, he has been set upon by a full-on man-cold. How is this even possible?!?!  He's now moaning in the recliner, yell-sneezing, and popping pills like candy. ARGH!!!  

:001_huh:   :cursing:

oh no!!!  I hope it doesn't last too long.

• Like 1