Menu

Sprite is Lemonade?

KungFuPanda

Remember that feeling you had when people swore that blue dress was white or gold or something? I'm having it now.

For Americans:

Lemon juice + water + sugar = lemonade (or you can cheat and mix kool-aid or country time powder)

Sprite is a carbonated, commercial lemon-lime soda.

Cordial is fruit-flavored liquor.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 45

For us, lemonade is a go-to, non-carbonated drink. You can buy a bottle in the store, but lemonade just means non-carbonated to us. If you hunt for it I'm guessing you could find "sparkling lemonade" but it would be unusual. Here, "sparkling" is code for "carbonated juice that is insanely overpriced."

• Like 10

My kids describe Mountain Dew and Sprite as carbonated lemonade.

I would have asked for a cocktail if I wanted a fruit flavored alcoholic drink.

"Cordial, in the United States, is generally used interchangeably with liqueur, although you may find that the word cordial tends to appear more often on dessert-like products: liqueurs flavored with coffee, cream, chocolate, etc.

In another example of two lands divided by a common tongue, though, cordial is used in the UK to mean any syrupy or very sweet non-alcoholic beverage. So the product that we Americans call Rose's Lime Juice is, in its native England, called Rose's Lime Cordial. It of course is alcohol-free." http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/06/cocktail-terms-what-is-the-difference-between-aperitif-digestif-liquor-spirit-dry-sweet-perfect-manhattan-spirits-glossary.html

• Like 1

Lemonade is a fizzy drink here that's not particularly lemony although old fashioned or traditional lemonade may be more lemon flavoured though still fizzy. What you describe is called lemon cordial. I always used to wonder how all the kids had lemonade stands - I couldn't figure out how they made the fizz until I worked this out.

I have always wondered what root beer is.

• Like 3

Remember that feeling you had when people swore that blue dress was white or gold or something? I'm having it now.

For Americans:

Lemon juice + water + sugar = lemonade (or you can cheat and mix kool-aid or country time powder)

Oh, let's not be picky now... :lol:

Try the Bundaberg brand root beer and their ginger beer too. It is an Australian owned business.

https://www.bundaberg.com/en-us/brew/root-beer/

https://www.bundaberg.com/en-us/brew/ginger-beer/

I've never seen Bundys root beer. It's not the same as sarsaparilla. Well, the Pancake Parlour root beer wasn't. That stuff was good. Bundy's Sarsaparilla and Ginger Beer are good too. And their Lemon, Lime and Bitters. Mm. Sugary drinks.

I've never seen Bundys root beer. It's not the same as sarsaparilla. Well, the Pancake Parlour root beer wasn't. That stuff was good. Bundy's Sarsaparilla and Ginger Beer are good too. And their Lemon, Lime and Bitters. Mm. Sugary drinks.

And there's lemon lime and bitters cordial... So good!

Ah this explains so much ....

The Dutch word 'Limonade', which look like the translation of Lemonade, is more similar to what the British call squash:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)

Flemish tend to use Limonade for carbonated drinks.

They call the syrup + water drink 'Grenadine'.

Words can be so confusing... :)

• Like 3

Wait.... You don't have root beer???

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Most of the world does not have root beer.

Shocking, I know.

And try to explain a root beer float to people who have never had root beer.... it never ends well.  :laugh:

"Wait, so it's like Coke, but then you pour it over ice cream. What? Isn't that nasty? Why only vanilla ice cream? Are you all mad??"

• Like 12

Lemonade is a fizzy drink here that's not particularly lemony although old fashioned or traditional lemonade may be more lemon flavoured though still fizzy. What you describe is called lemon cordial. I always used to wonder how all the kids had lemonade stands - I couldn't figure out how they made the fizz until I worked this out.

I have always wondered what root beer is.

It is similar to Saraparilla. Although each rootbeer recipe has variations. Some have vanilla, some have citrus. It is quite close to a double SARS.

Shocking, I know.

And try to explain a root beer float to people who have never had root beer.... it never ends well. :laugh:

"Wait, so it's like Coke, but then you pour it over ice cream. What? Isn't that nasty? Why only vanilla ice cream? Are you all mad??"

Root beer float is a sarsaparilla spider.

• Like 1

Sprite is lemonade in Britain.  My first introduction to what Americans call lemonade was in France, where it is called citron presse.  If I saw something called 'fresh lemonade' I would expect it to be made from real lemons and it might or might not be carbonated.  

The stuff that is sold to be diluted is called squash or (if posh) cordial.

• Like 4

The entire world does not define things by American names.

So are you saying in other countries a can of Sprite doesn't have the word "Sprite" on the can, it reads, "Lemonade"?

So are you saying in other countries a can of Sprite doesn't have the word "Sprite" on the can, it reads, "Lemonade"?

It says 'Sprite' on the can but it is on the 'lemonade' shelf with other fizzy drinks that are called lemonade and taste more or less the same.  So Sprite is a form of lemonade.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=273793794

I wouldn't be surprised if that use of the term lemonade dated back to WWII when there was no imported fruit, so all kinds of previous recipes were remade and the originals discarded.  My mother's recipe for Christmas Pudding had carrots in it, because fruit was unavailable during rationing and carrots are sweet.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

And try to explain a root beer float to people who have never had root beer.... it never ends well.  :laugh:

Well, having, in my childhood, tried making it with chocolate ice cream, it definitely is nasty if not made with vanilla!

Except we call them spiders because "float" sounds disgusting.

Lime spider is best. Except maybe for lemon, lime and bitters spider.

Shocking, I know.

And try to explain a root beer float to people who have never had root beer.... it never ends well. [emoji23]

Actually, I hate floats. But I can't imagine no root beer... Especially A&W root beer. The horror!

• Like 3

Well, having, in my childhood, tried making it with chocolate ice cream, it definitely is nasty if not made with vanilla!

But the ice cream floats.....

• Like 4

How about a Purple Cow? Grape soda over vanilla ice cream. I could drink them when I was younger but now,  :ack2:

• Like 2

Lemon juice + water + sugar in AU = homemade lemonade.

Shop lemonade is carbonated.

Sprite is a brand of lemonade, I guess - but not really ? If someone asked me to go to the shops and buy lemonade, I wouldn't buy Sprite.

Limes have naught to do with any of it!

Cordial is a concentrate - you add water to it.

NZ too. We have lemonade that is fizzy from the shop and homemade lemonade. There is a tendency among young kids to say sprite for all lemonade though.

And we call it fizzy drink or soft drink not soda. Soda is soda water. And spiders not floats. I always thought root beer was ginger beer too.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

The entire world does not define things by American names.

Of course? But they're fundamentally different products. It's like calling all coffee the same thing, when in fact there are different varieties, roasts, and milk drinks made with it. Just because it has coffee doesn't make it the same, and just because it has a lemon flavor doesn't make it the same either.

Sprite, 7-up, and (sort of, because it isn't quite the sane) Sierra Mist are clearing, carbonated, non-caffeinated lemon-lime sodas. Always a debate on what to call any carbonated drink in the US: soda, pop, or "Coke." It is regional. (Definitely "pop" where I grew up.)

Fascinating discussion. Reminds me of when I found out that the letter z was Zed in UK vs how we say it in US: Zee. Mind blowing. (I had an internet mom friend who asked to be called Z. Big difference to realize that meant Zed and not Zee.)

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 4

In NZ when you go on a picnic you carry your lemonade in a chilly bin. Be sure to bring a jumper in case the weather gets cold.

In Britain you are pissed off if your biscuits aren't crisp and that makes you frown with your forehead.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Of course? But they're fundamentally different products. It's like calling all coffee the same thing, when in fact there are different varieties, roasts, and milk drinks made with it. Just because it has coffee doesn't make it the same, and just because it has a lemon flavor doesn't make it the same either.

We are not calling it the same.  I don't use the word 'lemonade' for pressed lemons and sugar.  I call it 'fresh lemonade'.

• Like 4