Menu

Have we talked about this? banning plastic grocery bags

Aura

Also, I get annoyed all why the heck so much stuff sold at the store is wrapped in plastic and then put inside a box for some dumb reason. I speculate that sometimes it's to make sure the plastic doesn't get punctured? But it's still annoying to me.

Yeah and now more and more produce is wrapped in my stores.  I suppose I do put stuff in a bag unless it's something with a thick skin, but I wouldn't be using a foam tray and all of that. 

• Like 1

Yeah and now more and more produce is wrapped in my stores. I suppose I do put stuff in a bag unless it's something with a thick skin, but I wouldn't be using a foam tray and all of that.

I think the only wrapped produce I buy are things that come in those pint containers, like blueberries or mushrooms. And those plastic net bags of cuties and grapes.

One thing I'm really glad for is bagged, washed salad greens.  I eat so much more healthy stuff because of those.  I hate washing fragile greens like spinach and arugula--inevitably there is grit left, and the greens come out wilted, whenever I attempt this.  But the prewashed stuff is perfect, and it's not limped.  I eat it out of the bag like chips when it's around, in addition to making proper salads from it.

I also like the biggish bargain bulk bags of apples, onions, and potatoes.  

But other than that I generally avoid that wrapped up produce.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

The way to explain my thought on that won't come out through my fingers right.  And really, it's just not that big a deal to me.  I have more important things to do with my day right now and I believe we have more important things to worry about from an environmental standpoint.  So I am going to work to quit getting sucked back into the thread again lol. 

The people I know personally who spend the most time on this stuff (not talking about anyone here) it feels like it's a fad to me.  Like if they had any real issues they wouldn't bother.  Which is ok I guess, but it leaves me feeling kinda weird about it.

And that all didn't come out sounding quite right, but I don't know how else to say it.  To me if the change is important, why not work towards doing it in a way that encourages people to do it?  Like the bottle deposits.  I hate dealing with it, but I always bring them back.  When people don't, they are valuable enough to someone that they get picked up by someone going around looking for extra money.  So I believe it ultimately works pretty well.  And there have been a lot of improvements to making it easier to bring the stuff back.  Prior, there were times I would have rather thrown it out (I didn't) because it was so stupidly annoying to bring it back.

If they stop giving out free bags, I will likely just buy the bags.  They aren't free anyway.  But unless they make it less annoying to use the reusable bags I'm less likely to remember to bring mine.  I'm disorganized, I forget, and I dread how annoying it is.  That's a bad combination. 

The people I know personally who spend the most time on this stuff (not talking about anyone here) it feels like it's a fad to me.  Like if they had any real issues they wouldn't bother.  Which is ok I guess, but it leaves me feeling kinda weird about it.

For me, I definitely have real issues to be concerned about. Not looking for a hobby. But my college-aged son's reports from his environmental science class were pretty enlightening, and many scenarios became a situation of, "Now you know better, so do better."

I've always been frugal and anti-waste. Frugality and environmentalism have some overlap here and there, so I've always been somewhat aware. Environmentalism is not my #1 belief system nor priority, but I've always tried to do what I can. But I truly didn't know what a mess we're making with these silly plastic bags until my son learned about it in school...and then I couldn't un-know.

And then pragmatism kicked in. I wondered how long we've found the single use plastic bag to be necessary (answer: for about 10 minutes in the grand scheme of things), and how our progenitors managed without them (answer: quite nicely and easily), and whether anybody else on the planet has decided to just stop using them, and how that went (answers: yes, and it helped)...so there you go.

A couple hours' conversation and research, a few minutes making a decision, an entirely painless change made. Without detracting from my real work and other pressing issues. This is NOT hard.

• Like 14

Also, I get annoyed all why the heck so much stuff sold at the store is wrapped in plastic and then put inside a box for some dumb reason. I speculate that sometimes it's to make sure the plastic doesn't get punctured? But it's still annoying to me.

Things like cereal, or crackers would go stale in just a box.  The plastic keeps it fresh.  The box makes it pretty on the shelf and easier to ship with less breakage. 

Items like rice or pasta can be in just a box, because it won't go stale exposed to air.   

Some items like the big bags of cereal are sold without a box, because there is a shelf/display made just for them, that doesn't require it to sit up by themselves.  For things like bulk rice in plastic bags, there isn't the breakage issue, nor the need to look pretty to sell it. 

• Like 1

Bottles get nothing in my state.

I used to keep what soda cans (from dh, the inky soda drinker here) and similar we would get, but it's just not worth it anymore. 18 months ago, if I took two yard bags full of flat crushed cans to a place that pays for it, I'd get roughly $20-30. Last two times I got less than $10, which literally means I spent more on gas going way over there than I made in the cans, so I stopped. Bummer.

Now they end up in the trash bc there's no curb recycling in my town and you have to drive way out if the way to get them to the nearest one and, crazily enough, it's not always free to drop off either.

The plus or not, is that dh has reduced can buying. He discovered if he brings his 1.5 liter "mug" to the gas station, he can fill it at the soda fountains for less than the cost of buying equal amts from the grocery store. So he does that one his way to and from work and thus only needs enough pop at hime ti get him through the time from finishing that to the drive to work. And yes, we are aware he obviously has an out of control diet mountain diet dew code red addiction.Ă°Å¸Ëœ

Bottles get nothing in my state.

I used to keep what soda cans (from dh, the inky soda drinker here) and similar we would get, but it's just not worth it anymore. 18 months ago, if I took two yard bags full of flat crushed cans to a place that pays for it, I'd get roughly $20-30. Last two times I got less than $10, which literally means I spent more on gas going way over there than I made in the cans, so I stopped. Bummer.

Now they end up in the trash bc there's no curb recycling in my town and you have to drive way out if the way to get them to the nearest one and, crazily enough, it's not always free to drop off either.

The plus or not, is that dh has reduced can buying. He discovered if he brings his 1.5 liter "mug" to the gas station, he can fill it at the soda fountains for less than the cost of buying equal amts from the grocery store. So he does that one his way to and from work and thus only needs enough pop at hime ti get him through the time from finishing that to the drive to work. And yes, we are aware he obviously has an out of control diet mountain diet dew code red addiction.Ă°Å¸Ëœ

I would prefer to just put them in the recycling.  That would be so much easier. But so many people do not recycle even though they are supposed to.  So I get why they do it.  They recently expanded that to water bottles too. 

We save all metal for the scrap yard.  When we get a good collection we get a few bucks for it. 

Things like cereal, or crackers would go stale in just a box. The plastic keeps it fresh. The box makes it pretty on the shelf and easier to ship with less breakage.

Bah. Potato chips don't need boxed, neither does cereal. I buy the big bags and it's just fine. And not even as full of air as the potato bags.

Items like rice or pasta can be in just a box, because it won't go stale exposed to air.

Some items like the big bags of cereal are sold without a box, because there is a shelf/display made just for them, that doesn't require it to sit up by themselves. For things like bulk rice in plastic bags, there isn't the breakage issue, nor the need to look pretty to sell it.

Rice and pasta in some kind of bag but no box makes sense to me bc if they get moist, even from humidity, they are ruined.

(snip for brevity) The people I know personally who spend the most time on this stuff (not talking about anyone here) it feels like it's a fad to me.  Like if they had any real issues they wouldn't bother.  Which is ok I guess, but it leaves me feeling kinda weird about it.

(Not a snarky response..I promise).....Maybe it is a geographical issue as well.  I live outside Portland Oregon.  Being concerned for the environment is always a topic here.  Bringing your own bag, is definitely not a fad here. It is very, very common.  When I hear about people saying that the cashiers didn't know what to do with a reusable bag, it is kinda funny....because it is just a way of life for many, many people in our area. 

There is even a Portlandia episode about it. LOL

• Like 8

I get the 25lb bags of rice at the bulk stores and it's in some kind of waxy/plasticy coated nylon bag. I put the entire bag in a rolling storage bin and just open the top. So no dampness or infestation worries. I do the same for flour and sugar, both bought in paper bags, but on a much smaller scale bc we don't use nearly as much of those.

Again, I keep coming to the fact that we have got to figure out a way to make reducing profitable.

(Not a snarky response..I promise).....Maybe it is a geographical issue as well.  I live outside Portland Oregon.  Being concerned for the environment is always a topic here.  Bringing your own bag, is definitely not a fad here. It is very, very common.  When I hear about people saying that the cashiers didn't know what to do with a reusable bag, it is kinda funny....because it is just a way of life for many, many people in our area. 

There is even a Portlandia episode about it. LOL

I'm not quite wording it right and I don't want to make it seem like I think everyone who cares is just jumping onto a fad.

Like the suggestion to spend $20 on a reusable bag.  What?  I mean it shouldn't cost $20 for one lousy bag!  I don't have that kind of money so that is a major turn off to me. 

I get the 25lb bags of rice at the bulk stores and it's in some kind of waxy/plasticy coated nylon bag. I put the entire bag in a rolling storage bin and just open the top. So no dampness or infestation worries. I do the same for flour and sugar, both bought in paper bags, but on a much smaller scale bc we don't use nearly as much of those.

Again, I keep coming to the fact that we have got to figure out a way to make reducing profitable.

I assume most people do something like that.  Maybe not with rice.  I know there are some companies that use canisters, but most don't (for flour/sugar).

I'm not quite wording it right and I don't want to make it seem like I think everyone who cares is just jumping onto a fad.

Like the suggestion to spend $20 on a reusable bag.  What?  I mean it shouldn't cost $20 for one lousy bag!  I don't have that kind of money so that is a major turn off to me. 

I get it.  It's the same thing with essential oils.  While they may do some good, spending $20-40 a bottle plus $100 diffuser (and of course you will need one for the home, one for the car, and one for travel!) seems......excessive.  It hones in on a small subset of people who have the money to spend and look flashy instead of just doing what's right.

, I keep coming to the fact that we have got to figure out a way to make reducing profitable.

The way this is handled in Germany is to put the onus on manufacturers. Manufacturers are required by law to recycle or dispose of packaging waste. Households collect non-recycled packaging waste (yoghurt containers, pasta bags, cheese wrappers etc) in separate bins or bags, and they are collected independently of other household waste. The company that collects this receives fees from the manufacturers that pay for recycling/disposal.

So there is an incentive for manufacturers to reduce packaging waste to the necessary minimum, because it costs them money if they have more.

Also, there is a law that permits consumers to leave behind at the store all packaging they consider extraneous. So you can unpack the cereal from the box and leave the box behind. This again encourages stores to be mindful of packaging.

There is also mandatory recycling and compostable collection. The municipal garbage collectors will not take your garbage if it contains glass or paper or compostables. Compostable waste is collected separately, and this costs the household less than normal garbage or is free; if you compost on your own property, you are exempt.

• Like 8

Gosh you don't HAVE to spend $20. You can get a whole bunch of bags fro $20. Amazon is full of shopping bags in all kinds of sizes and price ranges. You don't have to purchase handmade bags on etsy.

ETA: You can get very cute bags for memberships in all kinds of organizations. The two large totes I am using right now are from the Audobon society.

ETA: Although, I did buy a very cute large tote from recycled plastic  that brightens my day and makes me smile when I shop. I paid $8.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8a/72/56/8a725693e012ebc64dc75b35b53f7062.jpg

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Like the suggestion to spend $20 on a reusable bag. What? I mean it shouldn't cost $20 for one lousy bag! I don't have that kind of money so that is a major turn off to me.

Oklahoma is absolutely not Portlandia by most accounts and I don't know anyone spending $20 for any kind of reuseable grocery bag. Heck, the two really nice and really big insulated bags I have were both free, though I think they cost 8-12 if someone wants to buy them. So were all the little book bag sized bags I have accumulated over time.

Most people do what I do. Slowly accumulate free bags here and there and everywhere over time. The little book bag sized bags and the little fold up nylon totes are extremely common to get for free. Library summer reading program? Free bag. Baby registry? Free tote. First order at Walmart grocery pickup? Free bag. Get a business membership at a big box store? Free large insulated tote.

• Like 6

Worst case scenario, I can crochet a medium mesh market bag with cheap $3 or less cotton yarn from the craft store in less than 20 minutes. I haven't Bc I'm overflowing in other free bags.

ETA: If anyone wants to pay me $20 each for those handmade bags, I'd be crazy grateful bc we could sure use the money!!!Ă°Å¸ËœÂ®

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 3

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Wearable-Art/Bags-Surfaces/Natural-Black-Large-Canvas-Tote-with-Zipper/p/26344

I have something like this (without the zippered top) that I use for a library bag.  I always use paper bags at the grocery store because I we reuse the paper bags for other things but if I were actually willing to bring a bag this is what I would use.

Oh and with the 40-50% iff coupons they regularly have it would come in at well under $10 a bag.

Edited by cjzimmer1

Oklahoma is absolutely not Portlandia by most accounts and I don't know anyone spending $20 for any kind of reuseable grocery bag. Heck, the two really nice and really big insulated bags I have were both free, though I think they cost 8-12 if someone wants to buy them. So were all the little book bag sized bags I have accumulated over time.

Most people do what I do. Slowly accumulate free bags here and there and everywhere over time. The little book bag sized bags and the little fold up nylon totes are extremely common to get for free. Library summer reading program? Free bag. Baby registry? Free tote. First order at Walmart grocery pickup? Free bag. Get a business membership at a big box store? Free large insulated tote.

Well no...apparently it's too much of a special snowflake request to want a bag that can be washed.  So I'm supposed to pay $20 for that (and it doesn't fit what I want anyway).

I hate those tiny nylon bags. 

I got one free bag ever.  I use it to put my headphones and Kindle in when I go to the gym.  That's all it's good for.

One reason people think buying a reusable bag is expensive is that they don't have to pay the true environmental cost of the plastic bag. If they did, then reducing would suddenly feel cheaper.

• Like 6

All of our bags were free with a purchase or they are store brand bags that we picked up for cheap, at the counter. I've never spent more than maybe $3.

On the fad issue: I was active in the 80s and 90s in environmental stuff. In the 90s, my work was funded by NASA, and that was because of climate change concerns. I was in anthropology, so generally not a field that makes one think NASA. So I was aware, and made a lot of lifestyle changes then.

But - what you said resonated. I wouldn't call my convictions then a fad, and I still have them. But when I was seriously ill, and unable to care for myself or kids (read bedridden for a few years), we gave up on some things. We bought paper towels, napkins, and plates. My mother and MIL took alternate 6 week shifts living with us, and we did anything we could to lighten their loads. Does that mean it was a fad for me? I want to say no, that we were doing the best we could. But maybe? Maybe we could have insisted that our helpers do it, too?

We are back to the same pre-illness lifestyle now, though I still keep paper towels around.

• Like 1

Well no...apparently it's too much of a special snowflake request to want a bag that can be washed. So I'm supposed to pay $20 for that (and it doesn't fit what I want anyway).

I got one free bag ever. I use it to put my headphones and Kindle in when I go to the gym. That's all it's good for.

Well dang girl. See my offer above. I'll make you some to buy for less than $20 then! I got 3 kids in college and adding another next year and they can't afford to pay all that in their own so the whole family is busting our butts to help out. I'd rather make market bags for quick profit than blankets and sweaters or shawls.

And what in the world are you buying that won't hold in those bags?! The book bag size is very close to the same size as a plastic grocery bag, which is why it's such a popular size, and really much bigger than that and even if it was filled, it'd sure get heavy and bulky to carry.

• Like 3

I'm a CA resident.  I'm in favor of the ban.  Pictures of the huge floating plastic island in the ocean ought to convince anyone.  I've been trying to make a habit of bringing my reusable bags with me, but I was still surprised to see the new bags for sale in Walmart the day after the election,  and of course I'd forgotten them that day, so I now have a couple of those floating around my car  :cool: 

My local stores are still offering plastic produce bags and not charging for them. 

• Like 3

A large, regular canvas tote (not specifically meant for groceries) would probably work well.  You could line one with a  plastic bag from home for meats that leak.

Ok so if they can only be washed in cold water, how is that killing germs?  I'm back to my original complaint. 

I'm baffled that it's so hard to find bags that can be washed and dried.

I'm going to look for that stretchy denim material and try making them with that.  I think that would be perfect.

Although I'm not sure my machine can handle sewing denim.  We'll find out.

Can I just be meh about the whole thing?  In theory, I like the idea, but probably--and selfishly?--because I've become accustomed to bringing my own bags now.  lol  Having a big family, it can be inconvenient and time-consuming to use our own bags in most regular grocery stores.  But that's partly because they don't have big packing areas at the end of the belt for my kid-helpers to do the job FOR the cashier.  

I just got some of these from Aldi and I love them, particularly AT Aldi:

110216_51597_GroceryCartShoppingBag-Beig

(They were $7 each, I think, and seem easy to wipe off.) I'd be OK using these in the regular grocery store, too, but I haven't tried it yet.  I find myself doing several trips with smaller amounts of groceries and different places rather than having a HUGE cart full so that does make it easier, kwim?  So if I put 2 of these into my cart and had the cashier just stick it ALL in them, like at Aldi, then I could take my cart to another area (or right at my vehicle in better weather) and sort it into some additional bags.  I dunno...I'm sort of tired just typing that all out.  LOL

• Like 2

A large, regular canvas tote (not specifically meant for groceries) would probably work well. You could line one with a plastic bag from home for meats that leak.

Right. There's nothing special about a "grocery" tote. Any old tote will work to hold groceries.

If the canvas ones are desired, there's always the cheap ready to decorate ones sold at craft stores like micheals for a few bucks.

As for washing, I always use cold water. Iirc, many studies showed that the washing machines and dishwashers don't get the water hot enough or sit in the hot water for long enough to meet disinfecting requirements. The majority of the time, soap and water disinfects just fine.

The rest of the time, bleach or oxyclean added to the wash is enough and the heat from the dryer or radiation from the sun when line drying is more than sufficient to disinfect.

• Like 1

Actually that reminded me, that's another place I DO reuse plastic bags...bring one in to the farmers market.  And if I don't, the vendors are reusing theirs. 

And yet another place I re-use the plastic bags.  I don't buy bags at Aldi.  I also don't buy much at Aldi period, usually only enough for one or two bags.  Those extra bags that end up in my bag at Kroger?  I whip one of those out and toss my stuff from Aldi in....at the car even lol.  I don't bother with the long shelf.

That's really kind of where I am seeing things.  SO, the bags that I put in my bathroom trash can, I would still have to put a bag there, so now the bag is a Hefty trash bag instead of a Meijer grocery bag. I need to put the swimsuits in something, so now the suits go into a ziplock instead of a Meijer grocery bag.

Um, what's the purpose of only accepting clear bags?  That seems even more controlling that banning plastic bags.  I am kind of weirded out by idea that the trash people need to be able to see what is put in my trash. 

It's to increase adherence to trash separation regs.

We have separate bags for trash, and then paper and recyclables, and green bins for organics.  If you don't separate they won't take your garbage.  Clear bags have been shown to significantly improve separation.

Of the allowable number of trash bags, one can be dark if people want privacy for some things.  We make that our dog poo bag.

I get it.  It's the same thing with essential oils.  While they may do some good, spending $20-40 a bottle plus $100 diffuser (and of course you will need one for the home, one for the car, and one for travel!) seems......excessive.  It hones in on a small subset of people who have the money to spend and look flashy instead of just doing what's right.

I didn't spend anywhere near that for my EO lol - my diffuser was $7 I think, and most of the oils less than $2

• Like 1

My only question is...what will Walmart do?

The last time I went to Walmart, I brought reusable bags. The cashier asked if I would help with bagging. I was like, "sure, whatever," while I loaded groceries into the belt. So...he just stood there and refused to ring anything up or bag anything until I was able to bag my own groceries. Grrr.

Oh I've tried it. Some that say you can wash by hand I've put in the hand wash setting of the washer.

The 99cents Whole Foods ones get threadbare but I had them for free from all the new stores openings a few years ago.

The ones that are durable are the canvas totes that are marketed as book bags. They are good at hauling library books while walking home and my library books are usually heavier than groceries.

I had also use a $15 (when on sale) plastic collapsible rolling office cart if I am getting only raw meat. With the handle down, it fits in the car trunk like a crate. When empty and collapsed,it doesn't take much space in the trunk. However the wheels aren't great when walking home on uneven sidewalks.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/987304/Office-Depot-Brand-Mobile-Folding-Cart/

It annoys me that the most overpackaged items are organic produce, at least in my supermarket. Individually wrapped multiple times. I believe it is to prevent theft / label switching.

Additional irony is that trapping the gases they naturally put off as they die (which they start doing when harvested) in plastic wrapping causes them to go bad faster too.

My only question is...what will Walmart do?

The last time I went to Walmart, I brought reusable bags. The cashier asked if I would help with bagging. I was like, "sure, whatever," while I loaded groceries into the belt. So...he just stood there and refused to ring anything up or bag anything until I was able to bag my own groceries. Grrr.

Again. I just tell them to put it in the cart and I'll bag when done. It's really not that difficult to manage even with multiple little kids driving me batty. If people can do it at Ali's and Costco, they can do it Walmart or any other grocery store.

• Like 1

It annoys me that the most overpackaged items are organic produce, at least in my supermarket.   Individually wrapped multiple times. I believe it is to prevent theft / label switching.

It might also be because organics in the supermarket are often shipped long distances.

I'd be okay with it. I already take my own bags most of the time.  DH on the other hand would not, he hates paper bags and complains about them ripping too easily.  As for the Walmart/grocery bags we do end up with, we either reuse (as bathroom trashcan liners) or recycle them.  Since I'm in a Southern state it is very unlikely that I'll have to worry about it.

Well no...apparently it's too much of a special snowflake request to want a bag that can be washed.  So I'm supposed to pay $20 for that (and it doesn't fit what I want anyway).

I got one free bag ever.  I use it to put my headphones and Kindle in when I go to the gym.  That's all it's good for.

Some very basic sewing skills and old cotton pants make great bags.   Light weight denim, khakis, chinos what ever.  You can get at least on bag out of a pair of pants.  The material is pre-shrunk and washable.  If you are a bit strategic, you can even reuse the pockets (cargo style pants are wonderful for that.

I also know people who make lighter weight bags out of t-shirts.  Kid size T-shirt often don't  need a side seam.  Just stitched across the bottom and either handles or a basic casing and draw-string at the top.

Old table cloths are nice too.  Usually a durable fabric and often repel stains.

it isn't hard to find fabric to reuse into a washable bag. 

• Like 7

I don't use reusable bags.  I was told not to use them because I am immnocomprised.  Lots of times, I ask for paper bags.  They are easier to hold for me and I use them in recycling- to contain paper or cans/bottles.  If I have plastic bags, I either use them with my pets or I bring them back for recycling.

Again. I just tell them to put it in the cart and I'll bag when done. It's really not that difficult to manage even with multiple little kids driving me batty. If people can do it at Ali's and Costco, they can do it Walmart or any other grocery store.

Most supermarkets in the UK will pack into whatever bags you have.  At Aldi and Lidl, you just put the items back into your trolley and bag for yourself at a side bench.

Plastic is still available here but I use reusable bags as much as possible.  I have a bunch from various places.  Some I bought and some were freebies. 

Tractor Supply has awesome bags.  They are tall so not always great for shorter folks but I have a tall ds that generally is at the store with me.  They are heavy duty (can hold like 5  2 liter bottles and no breaking).  They are cheap too.  Usually about $1.50 but go on sale often for 99c

My dc will help the cashier by holding the bags open or even just taking the items from her and placing them in the bags.  When I put stuff on the counter I do it in groups.  Bag and what I want in that bag.  Then next bag and stuff.   I do that because I know where stuff goes in my house and try to make it easier on cashier by not having to decide what can fit in a bag.

If I happen to forget my bags I make sure to reuse the plastic ones.

For those who drive to the store by car (and worry about washing or buying bags): you don't even need bags. I found the easiest way to transport my groceries home a simple cardboard box.

It can live in the trunk. Take out, put under cart. At checkout,put box into empty cart and have cashier dump scanned items right into box - or stack items carefully in box yourself. Take to car. Drive home. Carry box into house. Unpack.

(If you have a lot of heavy stuff, use two boxes to split the weight.)

When it gets dirty, recycle the cardboard and grab a new box.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 9

For those who drive to the store by car (and worry about washing or buying bags): you don't even need bags. I found the easiest way to transport my groceries home a simple cardboard box.

It can live in the trunk. Take out, put under cart. At checkout,put box into empty cart and have cashier dump scanned items right into box - or stack items carefully in box yourself. Take to car. Drive home. Carry box into house. Unpack.

(If you have a lot of heavy stuff, use two boxes to split the weight.)

When it gets dirty, recycle the cardboard and grab a new box.

I want to try this, but I don't want to use cardboard. 

And I'll need more than 2.

But yes of all the ideas I like this the best. 

I probably should just shut up.  But I have to wonder if all those plastic reusable bags are really so great.  Yes, they last longer.  So it does seem like that would be better, but they don't last forever and they are plastic.  Very thick plastic.  They now make many of these grocery bags out of materials that supposedly break down a tad quicker.  I don't know if that's anything great or special, but what about those reusable plastic bags?  How long does it take to break those things down? 

I have collapsible produce crates. (Shhhhh. I have an inside man source. I have a son that is a pt produce manager while going to college. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°)

Like these

http://www.chep.com/RPCs/Generation_3_Foldable_Reusable_Plastic_Crate_22L/

Unfolded they are about 6in deep and 2ft x 18in. Light weight. Folds to about 3in thick so a stack of 4-6 slides under the last bench of the van.

I got mine free bc suppliers drop them off at the store and then never pick them back up and eventually the store gets a huge pile of them taking up too much room and gives employees permission to take some.

Milk crates $3.49 at Target, cheaper during back to school sale.

http://www.target.com/p/milk-crate-storage-bin-black-room-essentials/-/A-14089509

Home Depot and Lowes probably have the bigger ones.

We have silverfish problems with cardboard boxes so we just put them in our complex's recycle bins instead of reuse.

• Like 1