Menu

Frivolous Question - Designer for your home?

Ginevra

Would you want one if you could/can have that option? I watch HGTV excessively and designers are a common thing on the shows. But I always think it is very doubtful that I would ever want a designer. I think I'm too particular. And practical.

The shows that make me sick with worry are those where the designer takes over and the owners just show up for the reveal. No, no, no, no! I would not do that in a million years!

Also, nobody's making me buy new lamps when I have perfectly good lamps already. :D

What do you think? Have you used a designer? Are you a designer? Would you think that was wonderful or dreadful?

• Like 2

I don't think I'd like someone to do the whole house. Like you, I'm practical and I also can't imagine spending outrageous amounts of money on furniture and a lot of what designers around here do is high end, from what I've seen.  It would be nice to have someone who would come out and look at a favorite chair, for example, and then they would go find an area rug to coordinate with it. So maybe a consultant, but not the whole deal. 

• Like 1

A paternal cousin bought a show flat condo unit because he liked the show flat. So it was literally turnkey. We bought condos that has some build to order choices but the choices are restricted. So in a sense it is designed for us which makes it easy for us since less choice means less time spend pondering..

• Like 1

I am NOT fashionable at all (clothes or house).  And I am cheap :blushing:   

I nearly pass out when they tell the prices of items (lamps, decorative pieces, etc. ). Most of the time I don't like the way it looks and wouldn't be comfortable in a house decorated up like that. 

But I know lots of people love things like that, don't mind spending the money and would be very uncomfortable in my mismatched house.  And I am ok with that.

• Like 3

If I could have Chip and Joanna Gaines remodel and decorate my home I'd jump on it in an instant. We've even joked about moving to Waco to be able to hire them (we'd have to to afford it.) 

It's one of the things I would love to do because I truly lack the Martha Stewart gene in any capacity, at all. I'm also spatially challenged. We talk about remodeling our house all the time (in our dream world when money grows on trees) and it would make me feel much more secure in my choices to have an architect and a designer if we ever actually dropped the money to do it. I'm simply not confident in my choices on decorating- I also think living with lots of pets and children has made it even worse. Leather and tile are now the surfaces of choice in our house. "This is why we can't have nice things," routinely escapes my lips. A friend of mine recently bought a white couch. I honestly broke out laughing when I saw it. It would be off-white as soon as the first dog came in from the pasture at my house. I cannot imagine owning a white couch. Ever. 

On a plus side my dh thinks it's great that I throw my hands in the air on decorating because it means he's allowed to own a leather Lazy Boy recliner. None of his friends' wives would allow one within a mile of the house or let a TV be the center piece of the den either. So, I guess my deficiency works well for our marriage! 

Texas Mom -- I think we would fit in at each other's house!   We have 3 recliners in our living room (all different colors, kinds and not in the best of shape) and the TV is the center piece.  And if I let my bunch pick new furniture it would be camouflage. 

Non of my furniture is in the best shape and doesn't match.  For the most part it doesn't bother me (bothers me when certain people come over).  All the teen boys that hang out at my house don't seem to mind that the furniture doesn't match or isn't in the best shape.  They all act like this is home when they are here and that makes me feel better than matching furniture. 

• Like 3

What we are doing is designing our home ourselves, then running it by an architect after we get the 3-d CAD done to make sure we aren't missing anything in terms of making it work together harmoniously. If it flows and the trim and finishes are balanced, the actual furnishing isn't a huge deal to design. It's making the spaces coordinate and move and function that is the challenge and we are spending a lot of time and thought and fiddling on it.

I really enjoy reading authors like Sarah Susanka, their books really give me the best ideas for functional, pretty spaces more than HGTV and Houzz. I also love Laurel Bern's blog. LOVE.

https://laurelberninteriors.com/interior-design-blog/

Not all designers and interior decorators work like those on hgtv. I know someone who moved into a furnished house overseas. Couldn't change the furniture, owned some neat art and stuff from travels, could order from the US but had limited budget and size/weight restrictions. The designer in the States worked with her by Skype to arrange rooms, paint a few accent walls, place art, decorate, and suggested some accent pieces to bring it together. It looked great! I guess it's not always so all-or-nothing in real life, and a good designer can work with existing items and furniture.

• Like 5

I'd mostly just like to have the budget to do what I envision! I would probably choose to do most of the work myself, then maybe call in a designer as a consultant to just tweak some details. I wouldn't call a stranger, though, unless I were familiar with that person's work; I'd call on one of the people I do know that are retired designers or just really really good at interior decorating.

• Like 1

When we built our house, I hired one for a couple of hours to come and help me with paint colors and to bounce ideas about furniture arrangement off of. It was a great help. I'd like to update a few things and I'd do it again to get a fresh perspective and some new ideas. I would not have someone come in to redesign my whole house unless I was positive I would absolutely loved it. I couldn't afford to do that anyway.

• Like 3

I always said that, given the money, I'd hire my aunt to help me.  We do not have identical tastes, but she's done a beautiful job on her home and we share some basic preferences.  She knows me well, so I feel I can trust her if I were to say "modern country that must be comfy with ZERO foo-foo frills."  Her passion for shopping is much greater than mine, so I know she'd keep hunting for just the right thing long after I settled for crap b/c I was sick of looking.

I can't imagine trusting a stranger to "get" me very well.

• Like 4

I enjoy the process of finding things too much. If I could decorate my home any way I liked, it would be filled to the brim with antiques. If I had the money for a decorator, then I think I'd have the money to search for my antiques myself. I enjoy finding things and it wouldn't be fun At All for someone else to be off doing the fun bit of finding things.

I love to watch decorating shows, but I only have Netflix and there are only a few of them on there (that I've found anyway.). So far in the shows I've had access to, they only seem to decorate with modern styles. And in the end, the homes all sort of look the same to me. The style that's on the shows isn't really my style.

I like it that I've picked out the things in my home. I don't think I'd like it as much if someone else picked it all out.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I always said that, given the money, I'd hire my aunt to help me.  We do not have identical tastes, but she's done a beautiful job on her home and we share some basic preferences.  She knows me well, so I feel I can trust her if I were to say "modern country that must be comfy with ZERO foo-foo frills."  Her passion for shopping is much greater than mine, so I know she'd keep hunting for just the right thing long after I settled for crap b/c I was sick of looking.

That is about 75% of my problem.

I'm not particularly visual, so that's an issue too. I just can't "see" how things will (or won't) coordinate or fit, or what arrangement would work best in a given space. But mostly it comes down to the fact that I have zero patience for shopping for just the right items. It takes me all of about two shopping expeditions to just want to be done with the whole thing.

So yes, I have toyed with the idea of hiring someone to make our house look pulled together. I doubt I'll ever do it, because even though it might not look as nice as it could it's peaceful and we're comfy and the things we have are things that have memories attached to them. And that's really what makes a house a home, isn't it?

• Like 2

I'm changing my answer slightly. Finding the right paint color is hard for me. I'd hire someone to help me with that, as long as they know that I love bold colors on lots of walls. If they're ok with lots of colors and can help me find the right shades, then great. But no grey or off white everywhere.

• Like 2

My MIL worked as a room designer or something through a department store.

She could give a discount on purchases through her, so it was less expensive that way.

I think she did things to people's tastes.

It was not like on tv I don't think. I think she was more helping with picking the right size of furniture, arranging the furniture, and then fabrics and colors for couches and chairs and curtains.

Sometimes people are very busy or a couple downsizes while the wife has health problems.

Then it is just easier to have someone sort through a lot of stuff and show you samples at home.

I don't think I would do it, still, but I can see it differently since seeing my MIL and not just the tv version.

Edit: it would depend, but for my MIL it was set up like many people would break even between the discount and the design fee. If you were looking at couches and curtains anyway, and at purchasing both for a room, and already looking at the store where she worked ---- I think it would be a good deal for someone interested.

I think for her to get a flat fee could be better for a customer than being helped by someone working on commission, a lot of times.

We have never re-done a whole room at one time, though, and that seems like what my MIL did.

She did a lot of entries or rooms where people would entertain guests, too.

I don't think she would do a whole house. She might do curtains for the whole house plus a living room, or things like that, I think.

Just my impression.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

There are designers who work on a modest budget, with the furniture you have and/or help with things like color.

I never get paint color choices just right. I would totally hire someone to consult on that and the finishing touches of a room.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I probably would hire someone to consult but I have my own aesthetic and probably couldn't give free reign to anyone. Many of the pieces in my home were either handmade or are antiques and I really like an eclectic look. The hunt for those pieces is half the fun.

Edited by SemiSweet
  • Like 2

This is where I am.  We are on a very very small budget but I do have a friend that would "get me" and LOVES to shop.  I HATE to shop.  (give me 4 choices, I will pick one and be done......don't give me 104 choices at 52 stores)  I am hoping to hire her to help me with a few things.  It might just be a new paint color, a few accents, rearranging things, etc.  She is just much better at seeing the big picture and coordinating things than I am.

One of my closest friends (SIL to friend above) has furnishings that I ADORE.  I would say sorta modern country COMFY is her style.  You walk in her house and immediately feel comfortable and welcome.  You feel like you can just curl up on the couch, grab a throw and make yourself comfortable........yet it all coordinates and has nice finishing touches.  That is what I want...........then again dh and my 5 kids could care less about any of this.

Part of my issue is that our living area for 7 of us is about 13x14 so not huge at all and it has a pellet store/fireplace so that can't be moved, etc.  I have high hopes for Kate to help me out.

• Like 1

If I had the budget to do it and the designer worked with my input- shopping with them, choosing colors, etc, then yes. And if Joanna Gaines came over wanting to do my house, I think I'd pretty much hand her the keys and come back when it's done.

With that said, we don't have the budget to have a designer and I'm fairly cheap when it comes to buying decor for the house. While I don't mind spending money on a piece that is quality and classic which will last many years, I'm not spending extravagant amounts on knick knacks. We recently moved and are working on decorating this home and I admit in the last few months I wouldn't have minded having someone come over and assist me in room layouts, arranging decor I have and adding what's needed, complimenting colors to what's new and what we have and making sure I don't over decorate. So I'll just keep watching hgtv for ideas and searching Pinterest.

• Like 2

I absolutely would not want someone to just come in, kick me out, clear out my house, and do their thing... even if I had the budget for it.

What I would want and be willing to pay up to about $500.00 for would be for someone to help me make the most of what I already have... figure out the best arrangement of furniture, use of limited cabinet/closet space, function of rooms and space. Wall colors... Basically, improve what I already have.

Then I would want them to leave me with a "Wish list" of small projects and items to buy or replace as time and money permit. Things like lighting, replacement furniture, curtains, etc. with pictures of styles to look for.

• Like 2

I'm changing my answer slightly. Finding the right paint color is hard for me. I'd hire someone to help me with that, as long as they know that I love bold colors on lots of walls. If they're ok with lots of colors and can help me find the right shades, then great. But no grey or off white everywhere.

We did this and it was wonderful.  The best part is that it was free - Sherwin-Williams had a program that they would send someone over to help choose colors if you spent $75 or more.  We love the colors and never would have used them if we didn't have someone helping us.  It would have been worth it even if she charged.

• Like 2

We did this and it was wonderful.  The best part is that it was free - Sherwin-Williams had a program that they would send someone over to help choose colors if you spent $75 or more.  We love the colors and never would have used them if we didn't have someone helping us.  It would have been worth it even if she charged.

Now that you say this, I remember something about that!  Someone told me about that long ago.  I wonder if they still do it?  I hope so, because it sounds like a great service.

• Like 2

I absolutely would not want someone to just come in, kick me out, clear out my house, and do their thing... even if I had the budget for it.

What I would want and be willing to pay up to about $500.00 for would be for someone to help me make the most of what I already have... figure out the best arrangement of furniture, use of limited cabinet/closet space, function of rooms and space. Wall colors... Basically, improve what I already have.

Then I would want them to leave me with a "Wish list" of small projects and items to buy or replace as time and money permit. Things like lighting, replacement furniture, curtains, etc. with pictures of styles to look for.

There's a book I have on my shelf called Use What You Have Decorating. I think the designer/author is named Laura Ward. I love that book. It gives principles of design and explains why certain things look good or not, feel comfortable or not, etc. it has tons of before and afyer photos and shows floor plans and why they don't work well one way but work much better another way. What I always think is, "That's the kind of designer I would want."

It annoys me on the TV shows that when something goes horribly wrong such as, the subfloor was full of termites or all the electrical wiring was a fire hazard, they go over budget, or take out something like a laundry room rehab, but they still have the bowl of fake lemons in the reveal, KWIM? It's as if they never decide to keep the old sofa or just go with the existing lamps because the budget took an unexpected hit.

• Like 2

I might not mind a little advice here and there, especially with paint. But for furniture, I have pretty eclectic tastes. I like something because I like it, and not necessarily because it goes with something else. So we have a variety of types of wood in our living/dining, because I love nice wood grains. Somehow it all works and gives off a warm and cozy feel.

• Like 1

If Joanna Gaines wanted to decorate my house I'd do it in a heartbeat!! 

I have a really hard time finding the things I want so, like Carrie, I end up settling with whatever I can find and then am unhappy with the result. Also,while I'm shopping, if I do happen to see lots of things I like, I am not confident putting it all together for a cohesive 'look'.

kinda off topic but Fixer Upper starts again on November 29 and I can't wait!!

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 2

I don't much like most designed homes I see, even ones in pretty high end publications.  I always feel like they look a little fake.

That being said, my mom whose house is pretty much her hobby/creative outlet, has used them at times to good effect.  Usually for some sort of technical advise or to help solve a particular problem.   So - when she was having problems choosing colour, or for advise about how products like wallpaper would work, fitting in a bathroom in a small space, that sort of thing.  Sometimes these people were designers and other times tradesmen, but usually people who had a particular expertise.

I often think that many of the designers I see on things like HGTV don't seem all that expert.

I find it hard myself having the cash to really want to consult people that way, but I can see that it could be useful at times if I did.

• Like 1

It annoys me on the TV shows that when something goes horribly wrong such as, the subfloor was full of termites or all the electrical wiring was a fire hazard, they go over budget, or take out something like a laundry room rehab, but they still have the bowl of fake lemons in the reveal, KWIM? It's as if they never decide to keep the old sofa or just go with the existing lamps because the budget took an unexpected hit.

This drives me crazy, especially when they "run out of money" for something important like a bathroom. I'm thinking, if you would just go a little less high end on your $70,000 kitchen, maybe you could squeeze out a little cash to at least freshen up the bathroom! It does seem like there could be other ways to find money in the budget other than just cutting out a whole project.

But what I really want to see is these homes after the families have moved back in, after they bring back all of their stuff. You know, like kids' toys, and books that people actually read on the shelf. The rooms are so pretty for the reveal, but what happens when real people are trying to live there?

If a designer came to my house, I already know what she would tell me. My furniture is too large for our smallish rooms, and there's too much clutter (i.e. books) on the shelves, not to mention the piano in the entryway. But I'll sacrifice designer appeal for the fact that there's a comfortable place for everyone to sit and the thought that books are old friends that we all like to revisit often. Plus, the piano has to go somewhere . . .

• Like 4

I actually goggled this because I couldn't believe that they are renovating and decorating these homes for those prices. They don't. It's just staging and most of the decor does not stay in the house. On Fixer Upper I think none of it does but on Property Brothers I think some of it does, but yeah the bowl of lemons is just a prop.

• Like 2

I have painted and designed and changed out stuff for our houses for years but one year we did hire an interior designer because we had some serious structural issues that had to be addressed and I had some health issues that meant trying to pull it all back together myself might be problematic.  She was really nice but she was soooo far from my practical sensibilities and love of retasking old objects.  We had a LOT of disconnect on communication and execution.  I ended up not going with most of her ideas and regretting we spent the money.

At the same time a neighbor did the same thing but she and her designer really hit it off.  The designer only met with her maybe 4-5 times over the course of their remodel but she saved them a ton of money on stuff they were trying to buy.  She knew where to get less costly versions.  She also had some great suggestions for layout that helped tremendously with the flow of the home.  The neighbor said it was worth every penny and they LOVED their home afterwards, as opposed to just liking it.

• Like 1

There's a book I have on my shelf called Use What You Have Decorating. I think the designer/author is named Laura Ward. I love that book. It gives principles of design and explains why certain things look good or not, feel comfortable or not, etc. it has tons of before and afyer photos and shows floor plans and why they don't work well one way but work much better another way. What I always think is, "That's the kind of designer I would want."

Lauri Ward, and yes, it is an extremely helpful book! Always look st what you have and love first before buying a bunch of new stuff.

I am very bad at matchy matchy things and design in general.

If I had extra money for a designer I would probably be interested. I would even let my sisters do it. :lol:

I can knit and make soap but I am terrible at matching things and making things look nice together.

But you are very good at double-posting. :D Your posts are so good, The Hive has to duplicate each one.

• Like 1

I have painted and designed and changed out stuff for our houses for years but one year we did hire an interior designer because we had some serious structural issues that had to be addressed and I had some health issues that meant trying to pull it all back together myself might be problematic. She was really nice but she was soooo far from my practical sensibilities and love of retasking old objects. We had a LOT of disconnect on communication and execution. I ended up not going with most of her ideas and regretting we spent the money.

At the same time a neighbor did the same thing but she and her designer really hit it off. The designer only met with her maybe 4-5 times over the course of their remodel but she saved them a ton of money on stuff they were trying to buy. She knew where to get less costly versions. She also had some great suggestions for layout that helped tremendously with the flow of the home. The neighbor said it was worth every penny and they LOVED their home afterwards, as opposed to just liking it.

It would certainly be wonderful to get that second type. I would have a very hard time with the first type. I know there are trends that come "in" or go "out," but I care the most about how things function. I don't want a chandelier over my bed, for example; I want a fan/light. It can be a pretty fan/light, but don't replace it with an elaborate spider condo chandelier that I will sweat beneath! :D

• Like 1

It would certainly be wonderful to get that second type. I would have a very hard time with the first type. I know there are trends that come "in" or go "out," but I care the most about how things function. I don't want a chandelier over my bed, for example; I want a fan/light. It can be a pretty fan/light, but don't replace it with an elaborate spider condo chandelier that I will sweat beneath! :D

Here, here!

• Like 1

My mom does - not as a designer, but just as a sort of small time consultant - go into people's homes and help them figure out how to make things look better and be more organized. She was always getting compliments on her home and so she started this as her side retired person business. Her general goal is to advise people on how to use what they have.

It's interesting... she has had some people who she brings in a designer for things to help get the discounts on things. Other times she feels like she's trying to help people deal with their hoarding issues.

I also can't imagine having a designer, though if I was totally remodeling, I think, knowing what I know from my mom, that I might hire someone to come once or twice and give me advice about what to buy, how to organize, etc. Because they do have a better eye in some ways.

• Like 1

Ethan Allen has a complementary design service when you buy a room of furniture, or at least they used to. When we used them, we (I should say I) picked the particular style we wanted but she helped us with our fabric choices for upholstered pieces, window treatments, paint color choices, and placement of furniture etc. She let me lead with my taste, but guided us in the direction we wanted with her expertise, if that makes sense. The result was professional look that I actually loved.

One thing to think about maybe is getting some design book from the library or even magazines and go with what appeals to you. Much of it is common sense really, especially since it more personal taste. I have seem some pretty hideous designs done by "professionals".

• Like 1

We've been married 35 years and inherited furniture from family or bought what we needed all along.  We bought several pieces in 1989, 90 and 91.  In 1996, we moved to a house that was 4x the floor space of our old house.  It was also a house that I LOVED for the floor plan and location but the "mood" of the house was more formal than I knew what to do with.  So for the living room (400sf, with unusual placements of entry-way, sliding doors to the deck, bay window and fireplace), we hired a designer because I had NO CLUE what to do with this room.  

He did a great job for us--we used that room in so many ways over the years, and it was nice to have a room that was usually pretty clean for when we suddenly threw a party or whatever.  

About 3 years ago and then this year, we sold that house and our beach house, and have had to get rid of furniture from 5600 total sf.  

ALL of the designer-chosen stuff is gone.  ALL of the stuff we chose for ourselves in 1989-91 is still with us.  We still love it.  

Am I glad I used a designer?  Yup.  I had ho clue what to do with that formal space, and it was a great space for 15 years.  I'd do it again...in those circumstances.  But now, I have enough furniture to last the rest of my life, and I like every single piece of it.  Well, all but two, but my son wants those when he moves out and he is welcome to them.  :0)  

Ethan Allen has a complementary design service when you buy a room of furniture, or at least they used to. When we used them, we (I should say I) picked the particular style we wanted but she helped us with our fabric choices for upholstered pieces, window treatments, paint color choices, and placement of furniture etc. She let me lead with my taste, but guided us in the direction we wanted with her expertise, if that makes sense. The result was professional look that I actually loved.

One thing to think about maybe is getting some design book from the library or even magazines and go with what appeals to you. Much of it is common sense really, especially since it more personal taste. I have seem some pretty hideous designs done by "professionals".

Ethan Allen does still do this. I was just in there this past July, but I ended up telling the designer that we were not going forward with a complete room design. (I still have not replaced the couches, which was why I went in to begin with.) What bothers me with their service, though, is that it is (obviously) in their best interest to have you redesign the whole room. They aren't going to say, "BTW, there are lamps just like this on Wayfair for half as much." When she started talking about having "three Phases" or redesigning the family room, I could see we were not on the same page.

I do want new couches, possibly new tables as well, and I really don't want to buy throw-away junk that will look horrible in three years. But the only thing I'm thinking about in "Phases" right now is financing college for my three kids. We're in Phase One now, with only one in college; we enter Phase Two two years from now when two kids are in college; then we will enter Phase Three, with only the youngest in college, which will probably feel like we won the lottery by comparison. :)