Menu

Dr. Hive and MS and other possibilities... - Weird Update #85

BlsdMama

The imaging center attached to the neurology group I see always schedules their patients within 24-48 hours, so that wouldn't concern me at all.  Try to make sure you're hydrated without going overboard so that it's easier to get the contrast started.  I've had enough MRI's that they don't restrain my head anymore, but you have to remain very still, even while they are injecting the contrast, so if you have any problems with anxiety, or with IV starts then let them know ahead of time.  They will complete the procedure once without dye, then inject you, then repeat it, which is why positioning is so important.

I always take a disc of my MRI pictures with me when I leave.

Thank you for all the reassurances girls.  I appreciate it.

On the injected - can I ask where they inject?  Just for mental preparedness.

I have an exam tomorrow.  WIll I feel fine/normal after it?

I am pretty sure they used a vein in my hand to inject the contrast. Can't really remember though.

I will share a weird thing about contrast, which may be totally idiosyncratic but really bothered me and I wish I'd known about it before.

I could feel the contrast move around my body (or I imagined I did), and it made me feel as if I'd wet myself. I hadn't. It was just a sensation. But it was an awful feeling. Because I was worried about it all through the scan. Nobody has ever mentioned that to me before or since, so it could entirely be a 'just me' thing...but yeah, nothing hurts but to me the contrast feels extremely strange.

Just FYI. You probably won't feel a thing and be thinking I'm a nutcase after.

That's actually pretty common. They warned DD about it before her scan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DH has MS and just had an MRI last week - one of many that he has had. He said it's not that bad if you close your eyes and take yourself to your happy place - think about being at the beach, or Disneyland, or playing with your dog. He also said that singing songs in your head can help, too.

His MRI was with contrast - they started an IV in his inner forearm, but it could be wherever they can get a good stick. And like Sadie, he said he can feel the contrast going in - he said it feels warm, like hot chocolate going through, but not burning.

Also to answer one of your previous questions, he has trouble with his balance, and actually takes a medicine that helps him to walk better.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

• Like 1

Thank you for all the reassurances girls.  I appreciate it.

On the injected - can I ask where they inject?  Just for mental preparedness.

I have an exam tomorrow.  WIll I feel fine/normal after it?

If I recall correctly it was by intravenous infusion.  If so,  I would recommend asking for ARM not hand.  It tends to be easier for them to put an IV in the large vein on the back of your hand, but that hurts.  I insist on them using the the vein just above the wrist ( I have good veins, so it's just as easy for them and FAR less uncomfortable for me.)

ETA: The contrast dye felt yucky to me (don't know how else to describe the feeling).  I felt weird and hot all over.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 1

I was told this before hand too. It is very uncomfortable even if you know it's coming!

I received that warning too. It didn't bother me but it was odd. If I hadn't known it would have freaked me out. Some people have an allergic reaction to the iodine in the dye. I did and was immediately given a dose of liquid Benadryl through the IV.
  • Like 2

I've gone through all the MRIs and the spinal tap to test for MS but it turned out I have Transverse Myelitis for now (it might become MS).  It is actually really good that they are moving the MRIs along quickly. The sooner they diagnose the sooner they can treat it (if it is MS).  Hopefully they will release the MRI results to you quickly and get that spinal tap scheduled if they see the lesions on your MRI.  Things moving along quickly is really really good. Please take heart in that. 

You will probably be in the MRI chamber for awhile--I have three scheduled later this month and expect about three hours between the thoracic, the cervical and the brain MRI they are running (with and without contrast).  Just know I have been there. It's not fantastic but you can do it!!

Another possibility is that you might have an autoimmune like MS or Lupus working in tandem with Raynaud's disease (only saying that based on your cold comment).

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I felt less good when they called a few hours later and had it scheduled for Friday morning.  That can't possibly be typical?  I'm grateful, don't get me wrong, but it is a little creepy that my appointment was this morning and I have an MRI for Friday and I was told a few weeks ago it can take up to a month to get into an MRI.

The MRI will be both with and without contrast if that means anything to anyone and will be of my entire spine.  I suspect that she suspects this is Primary MS.  Sigh. I think God thinks I can handle more than I think I can handle.  Just sayin'.

It could have been that they accommodated you when they had a cancellation.

I know it's hard to wait and find out what you are dealing with. But I'd rather have the appointment earlier than later so I don't go completely off the chart with speculations.

Praying it's reversible, whatever it is.

Keep us updated!

There are different sensations depending on the dye choice. I do track it's progression.

I agree to avoid having them inject your hands if possible. They are more painful and the dye is very caustic to your vein if it pops, so it's likely to bruise.

It's not as bad these days, the scans are quicker, quieter, and the new ones have headphones for music.

Edited by melmichigan

It went great today.

No burning or warming... they went right into my arm.

I admit it was a *really* long MRI.  It ran right under two hours.  That is a long time to be buried alive in a coffin.... Which is right where my mind went at about minute 70, lol.

They did the first set (head, neck, back) in about 80 minutes without contrast.  Towards the end of that I was feeling pretty shut in.  The face mask was so close to my face.

They pulled me out to inject the contrast and I really needed that little break.  The last 35-ish minutes were much easier to take and then it was DONE!

They told me the doctor should see the results in 2-3 days. Here's hoping to a restful weekend and a diligent doc.  ;)

• Like 22

It went great today.

No burning or warming... they went right into my arm.

I admit it was a *really* long MRI.  It ran right under two hours.  That is a long time to be buried alive in a coffin.... Which is right where my mind went at about minute 70, lol.

They did the first set (head, neck, back) in about 80 minutes without contrast.  Towards the end of that I was feeling pretty shut in.  The face mask was so close to my face.

They pulled me out to inject the contrast and I really needed that little break.  The last 35-ish minutes were much easier to take and then it was DONE!

They told me the doctor should see the results in 2-3 days. Here's hoping to a restful weekend and a diligent doc.   ;)

Yep. It's not fun. I had to keep my eyes shut and focus on the music. My husband had the same set and it took them three hours and they didn't provide music. I would have gone nuts!!

Yep. It's not fun. I had to keep my eyes shut and focus on the music. My husband had the same set and it took them three hours and they didn't provide music. I would have gone nuts!!

You got music?  :(

LOL, no, no music.  I got out of there and apologized to DS (11yo) for him going through the MRI for the research thing we did with dyslexia.  He said, "It was fine mom.  I just watched the movie."  Wait.  What?  He got a MOVIE during his MRI - no joke. 

Man, all I got was a boring old two hours in a coffin wearing a hockey mask.  Not the same. ;)  But, all's well that ends well! :D

• Like 6

You got music?   :(

LOL, no, no music.

That's awful! It's hard enough to lay still when you are in the small tube for that long, let alone without something to drown out some of the banging!

Agree on the hockey mask description too. That was so weird. Did it have a little mirror so you could see your feet? 

Edited by cintinative

You got music?   :(

LOL, no, no music.  I got out of there and apologized to DS (11yo) for him going through the MRI for the research thing we did with dyslexia.  He said, "It was fine mom.  I just watched the movie."  Wait.  What?  He got a MOVIE during his MRI - no joke. 

Man, all I got was a boring old two hours in a coffin wearing a hockey mask.  Not the same. ;)  But, all's well that ends well! :D

Dd got a movie too.  It was at a children's hospital so I'm sure they have things set up specifically for squirmy kids. 

I'm late to this party, but did you look into vascular causes? I have a vascular disease called fibromuscular dysplasia, and that can cause stokes in young people (foot drop can be caused by stroke). I had two carotid artery dissections (no strokes) that caused what I thought at the time were migraines. My migraines come with stroke symptoms (numbness on one side of the body, in the throat, etc). When I had the dissections I thought they were just migraines until I ended up in the ER for the pain. They did an MRI and found the vascular disease at that point. I was 37 at the time. Have you ever had a droopy eyelid? Or any other possible signs of stroke? Your MRI would show this, especially if they did one with contrast. Don't let this one scare you - I've lived with it for 5 years without any more events, and I had it for a long time without even knowing about it. People who have it and have strokes can do well for a long time with it. So don't google it and freak out. :) It often causes high blood pressure, but not everyone has that (I don't). I don't know whether it would cause a foot drop that starts out mild and gets worse - but I know there can be vascular causes for foot drop, so I thought I would mention it.

• Like 2

There are (at least) two (2) On-Air people on Fox who have MS.  One is Janice Dean, a Meteorologist, on Fox News Channel.  The other is Neil Cavuto (he is on Fox Business Channel).  From them, I have the impression that if one has MS, one can continue with a rather "normal" life.  I assume there are different kinds of MS and that some are severe and that some are mild, but I have been watching them on TV, for years.  The most important thing, with any illness/disease is to get the correct diagnosis, ASAP.  Much good luck to you! 

Any word? How are you?

No word... trying really hard to be patient.  They told me it would take 2-3 days for my doc to see the results so I'm trying to be relaxed about it.  I did figure out the spasmic thing she did with my foot was a thing called clonus.

So, pretty much, looks like MS.  Now to just see if and where the lesions are - and hope for remitting rather than primary.

I viewed these days as the best and worst ever.

They were the days before "it" happened and changed everything.

Mind you, things were already changed. The disease had already changed my life, but before I didn't know.

It was a phone call for my son and a piece of paper (and an expletive that popped out in the middle of the Imaging waiting area on an Air Force Base) for my daughter. Those were the before/after moments.

Kris

• Like 1

So -  In incredibly GOOD and embarassing??? news, I do not have *any* lesions consistent with MS on my MRI.

I feel like a headcase - except I had no idea about anything about MS when I went into the doctor with drop foot.  The spasm in the leg had been going on for three years, the drop foot since summer.  I can't make my reflexes hyper and I can't imagine my way into clonus in my foot.

So what in the world is going on?

She called me last night after hours and left a message to call her cell.  It kind of freaked me out.  She thinks I have nerve damage but it's not brain related.  I have no idea.  Maybe I've had hyper reflexes on the right side for a long time and didn't know it?  Because I haven't been to a general practice/family doc for years.

They do want to do an ultrasound this week because they saw something on the MRI in my neck, but she says it's probably an enlarged lymph node, just would like to see that checked out. (I'm not concerned about this - I am not tired and I definitely don't have any weight loss.)

I have an appointment with her Dec. 2nd.  

So, how do like those apples?  I'm really, really grateful and so sorry for all of you who have been dx'd with MS or your kids.  :(  

This is so.... Odd. 

• Like 25

But at least you are filling in pieces of the puzzle. So glad you got some answers. You are not imagining your symptoms. Something has definitely happened that is affecting you. Getting all those pieces to this puzzle may take time and effort, which is a total drag, but I am glad you are getting answers. Eliminating things from the list of possibilities can be just as important as finding things.

Best wishes.

• Like 4

FWIW, several years ago I had symptoms that were possibly consistent with MS (in a different part of the body and a good suspect due to other autoimmune issues) and of TIAs (which was the most likely suspect at the time due to other issues).  After a boatload of procedures, there was no consensus on what was going on, but the highly respected neurologist was convinced it was TIAs.  I became convinced the problem was in my neck, because I got temporary symptom relief during an exam that required my neck be in a very particular position. Eventually, the symptoms resolved. Time passed and I had another problem.  Cervical MRI at that time revealed a blown cervical disk and evidence of a prior rupture.  Having lived with this body since then, I can tell you with certitude:  The problem is in my neck. 

Neck/back problems are not fun, but they are much preferable to many other possibilities.  I hope that they are able to pinpoint exactly what is causing your symptoms.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Oh, how FANTASTIC!!!

I am so excited to read this post!!!!!

Look, there are plenty of things that can cause foot drop. The fact that you are having other symptoms just meant that you needed to be evaluated for MS. One of the things I've learned over the past year is that the BEST thing you can do with MS is get started on treatment early. That means that doctors have to stop ASSUMING that MS is rare and start evaluating and using the technology that we have available to us. The more aggressive MS treatment is started, the better the long-term outcome.

But, if you don't have it!!!  WOOOOT!!! I'm thrilled! Now, I will give this caveat: if you are still having the same problems with NO other diagnosis, you need to have a repeat MR in 6 months. Follow through with it....don't ignore it. If they find something else (heaven forbid it is bad), then you can drop MS. But, if in 6 months you have the same--or worse symptoms with no other dx, get a repeat MR. No change....then yay!

As for where to go now.....good luck!

Kris, who really is thrilled for you!

• Like 4

Thank you all so VERY much for the support in this.

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:

It has been a little boggling for me because I just kept thinking how in the WORLD is my DH going to keep up with eleven busy kids?!  (Or even just baby William -the crazy little boy God saved for the caboose?!?!?!) 

I'm still a little... confused?  My foot drop is behaving badly today so there's that.  DH is trying to talk me into the EMG and then a lower MRI.  I'm mentally working through it, lol.  Pain is one thing when you think it's your brain.  It's a whole other ball of wax for a back.

• Like 2

Thank you all so VERY much for the support in this.

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:

It has been a little boggling for me because I just kept thinking how in the WORLD is my DH going to keep up with eleven busy kids?!  (Or even just baby William -the crazy little boy God saved for the caboose?!?!?!) 

I'm still a little... confused?  My foot drop is behaving badly today so there's that.  DH is trying to talk me into the EMG and then a lower MRI.  I'm mentally working through it, lol.  Pain is one thing when you think it's your brain.  It's a whole other ball of wax for a back.

Please do the EMG and lower MRI.  Backs can be treated (depending I'm sure on what exactly is going on).  Your 11 busy kids need their mama to get the appropriate medical help. 

I'm so glad that MS has been ruled out at this time. 

• Like 5

Have you been tested (and retested) for Lyme Disease?  A good friend of mine has Lyme that didn't present with a bull's eye rash and arthritic symptoms, but with neurological symptoms instead. Her initial symptoms were ear-related, but the lasting issues have been myoclonus, gait issues, and balance problems.  She saw a lot of doctors who told her what it wasn't before she was finally diagnosed. 

• Like 1

So -  In incredibly GOOD and embarassing??? news, I do not have *any* lesions consistent with MS on my MRI.

I feel like a headcase - except I had no idea about anything about MS when I went into the doctor with drop foot.  The spasm in the leg had been going on for three years, the drop foot since summer.  I can't make my reflexes hyper and I can't imagine my way into clonus in my foot.

So what in the world is going on?

She called me last night after hours and left a message to call her cell.  It kind of freaked me out.  She thinks I have nerve damage but it's not brain related.  I have no idea.  Maybe I've had hyper reflexes on the right side for a long time and didn't know it?  Because I haven't been to a general practice/family doc for years.

They do want to do an ultrasound this week because they saw something on the MRI in my neck, but she says it's probably an enlarged lymph node, just would like to see that checked out. (I'm not concerned about this - I am not tired and I definitely don't have any weight loss.)

I have an appointment with her Dec. 2nd.  

So, how do like those apples?  I'm really, really grateful and so sorry for all of you who have been dx'd with MS or your kids.   :(

This is so.... Odd. 

It's a hard place to be in--not knowing what is going on. It does sound like your doctor is being proactive though and that is wonderful. Keep pressing the doctor to move forward to get things going.  The health care train can move so slowly. Hang in there!! 

Another plus--it's not Transverse Myelitis (what I have!).  

I haven't posted but I've been following this. I'm glad the MRI is fine and the U/s turns out okay.

A friend got a foot drop from a cyst in her lumbar spine, so I agree with having an MRI of that area. A foot drop was also something we had to watch for after one DD had surgery on her lumbar spine.

My DD had an EMG. I'd get the lumbar MRI and the EMG as a very last resort. Not fun.

• Like 1

Woot! Woot!  So glad you go the all-clear on the MS!

Has anyone considered that you could have issues related to pregnancy or childbirth? I promise I mean that in a loving and supportive way.  But, is there any possibility that you haven an impinged nerve or other related issue that could be due to so many years of 'mommy posture' (tipped back during pregnancy, leaning forward for nursing, leaning forward and down for little ones). 

If you decide to continue perusing this, which I hope you do....I would consider finding an excellent PT and show them your most common positions for caring for your babes. Prefered nursing positions, holding baby on your hip, etc. I don't know about you, but my core muscles have given way, and my back is what caries the bulk of my load.  And I pay the price with back pain!  A really good PT, may be able to spot a muscular problem that isn't seen by other doctors.  Most people don't stand and move around in the contorted positions that moms with babes do. I remember having a baby perched on one hip, and bending over to help put on a jacket of a 4yo at the same time, and having those odd-pinching-I-shouldn't-be-doing-this-pains, that are very common in mother hood.  LOL 

I actually did this but with my work positions.  She was able to give me advice on how to handle some of my tasks in a different way, that really did help me.  The way I was bent and stretching felt fine at the moment, but she was able to show me how it was feeding into my long term problems. 

I have had two friends end up with pinched nerve issues in their hips/legs after childbirth.  One went to a chiro and got relief the other one has decided to just live with it (doesn't like the idea of chiro).

I have 2 blown disks in my back and get foot drop on occasion.  It is always there, but fluctuates i severity especially when I am really worn out physically, or overly tired and stressed out.  I have seen so many doctors and surgeons but it couldn't be fixed in my case.  Over the years, I was told to expect for it to get worse.  But honestly, it has gotten a lot better!  One of the big factors for me, is that my youngest is now 5'2" so I don't have to lean down to help her as much anymore. I know it has made a very, very big difference not only in the pain, but the foot drop too.  My back is not nearly as inflamed and hence, other parts of me are better as well. 

I hope you find out what is wrong! It is so unsettling to have health issues and to have no idea what the cause is.

• Like 1