Menu

I hope the "open cardigan" fad leaves quickly.

J-rap

I like thick cardigans too, in winter, much more tan a pullover.  You can take them on and off as required, or unbutton, or partially unbutton.  All without messing up your hair.

I used to have quite a few but they were hand knit by my Nana.  I don't see so many in similar styles in stores, but places that sell hand made items like country bazzars or craft fairs might be a place to look.

• Like 2

These make good sense if you're in a ski area.  One where it snows almost every night but melts almost every day.  If it's 35 degrees (F), not windy, and sunny, layering a flannel under a wool sweater with a down vest on top is perfect - you're not too hot or too cold indoors or out.  When I lived in NY I saw this a lot up in the Adirondacks.  I also saw this a lot around Denver.  I suspect most areas of the country have the wrong sort of climate for this to be ideal though.

I live in NY.  I still think it's rather stupid.  LOL

But no there are some times where I'm sorta hot and cold at the same time and that kinda fits the bill. 

• Like 1

They'll be around so long as the style is for skinny jeans/pants. Women wear them to cover their hips & backsides since the cardigans I've seen typically are mid-thigh to knee-length. Frankly, I'd rather see the skinny bottoms trend die and a style that is far more flattering for women with curvy hips come back.

Oh I do like the longer sweaters (not floor length, but covering the hip).  Just with buttons!

Who buttons cardigan? I know nobody but skinny Minnies who can pull it off, because it makes many of us look fat and dumpy. I use cardigans as a layering piece and very, VERY rarely button them, or only a few buttons. In fact almost all the ones I own don't have buttons at all. Some are long and flowy and some are short and cropped, but if I want a solid knit top piece I wear a sweater, not a cardi.

Maybe this is generational?

Who buttons cardigan? I know nobody but skinny Minnies who can pull it off, because it makes many of us look fat and dumpy. I use cardigans as a layering piece and very, VERY rarely button them, or only a few buttons. In fact almost all the ones I own don't have buttons at all. Some are long and flowy and some are short and cropped, but if I want a solid knit top piece I wear a sweater, not a cardi.

Yeah these thick cardigans with chunky buttons...buttoning that on my body...nobody wants to see that.  Not a flattering look at all.

• Like 4

My favorite thick cardigan is one I got at Costco last year, by the way. It's a cable knit and fantastic. Generally speaking cabled cardis and sweaters will be heavier than ribbed or plain knit, just FYI :)

I think the somewhat weirder style are puffy jackets that have no sleeves.  I own one, but I'm not exactly sure why because functionally speaking it's kinda stupid.  LOL

I had to laugh because I kind of like the look of the puffy vests but couldn't figure out when to wear it or what to wear it with.   The only practical purpose seems to be if you need extra pockets but it's not cold enough to need a coat

• Like 2

I get it when the temp is just slightly cool. But here it gets so cold, and I'm really just looking for thick, uber-warm sweaters (but still cute). I can't seem to find styles I like that have buttons! I just don't understand the point of a sweater that's supposed to be super warm that doesn't button.

I think we have reached the point in the conversation where all the knitters here start beckoning to you and chanting in zombie-like fashion, "Join us! Join us!"

I think I have the very sweater you are looking for in my Ravelry library, waiting for me to find both the time to knit and the perfect yarn. I cannot recall the name of the pattern, but I call it a "grandpa sweater."

• Like 3

I find lots of classic clothes at Goodwill and other thrift stores.  You can find cardigans with or without buttons there. 

My current favorite cardigan is from Goodwill. It's a men's zippered cardi made from thick, black merino. I love that it's long but since it's a men's sweater it also has looong sleeves. But I just deal because I love everything else about it.

• Like 1

I definitely use the long open cardigan for snuggly camouflage for large hips & bottom.  For cardigans that are thick, warm & roomy that I might want to close in some way I alter slightly.  For example today I am wearing a cranberry & ivory marled open cardigan over a gray long sleeve t & black pants.  I added 3 large-ish ivory colored, decorative buttons at the bust on one side & 3 cranberry ribbon loops on the other side.  If I want it to stay closed, I close it.  I have also used decorative frog closures on open cardigans or on one taupe sweater a bronze looking clasp that hooks in the middle.  These tiny alterations give my sweaters more shape and make them look a little different than your run of the mill business from Target or Old Navy.  I keep an eye out for unusual fastenings when I go to the thrift store.  I have been known to buy ugly dresses or shirts for the buttons.  A large kilt pin or brooch can keep an open cardigan closed as well.

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ
  • Like 3

I definitely use the long open cardigan for snuggly camouflage for large hips & bottom. For cardigans that are thick, warm & roomy that I might want to close in some way I alter slightly. For example today I am wearing a cranberry & ivory marled open cardigan over a gray long sleeve t & black pants. I added 3 large-ish ivory colored, decorative buttons at the bust on one side & 3 cranberry ribbon loops on the other side. If I want it to stay closed, I close it. I have also used decorative frog closures on open cardigans or on one taupe sweater a bronze looking clasp that hooks in the middle. These tiny alterations give my sweaters more shape and make them look a little different than your run of the mill business from Target or Old Navy. I keep an eye out for unusual fastenings when I go to the thrift store. I have been known to buy ugly dresses or shirts for the buttons. A large kilt pin or brooch can keep an open cardigan closed as well.

Amber in SJ

I love the idea of adding buttons and loops! I have a short sleeve cardigan type thing I like to wear over dresses, and occasionally I'd like to close it. Loops are a terrific solution even I can handle! :)

Hmm, maybe it's regional too.  Around here, women my age wear buttoned cardigans all the time during the cold months!

My favorite thick cardigan is one I got at Costco last year, by the way. It's a cable knit and fantastic. Generally speaking cabled cardis and sweaters will be heavier than ribbed or plain knit, just FYI :)

I love thick cable knit ones.  

I definitely use the long open cardigan for snuggly camouflage for large hips & bottom.  For cardigans that are thick, warm & roomy that I might want to close in some way I alter slightly.  For example today I am wearing a cranberry & ivory marled open cardigan over a gray long sleeve t & black pants.  I added 3 large-ish ivory colored, decorative buttons at the bust on one side & 3 cranberry ribbon loops on the other side.  If I want it to stay closed, I close it.  I have also used decorative frog closures on open cardigans or on one taupe sweater a bronze looking clasp that hooks in the middle.  These tiny alterations give my sweaters more shape and make them look a little different than your run of the mill business from Target or Old Navy.  I keep an eye out for unusual fastenings when I go to the thrift store.  I have been known to buy ugly dresses or shirts for the buttons.  A large kilt pin or brooch can keep an open cardigan closed as well.

Amber in SJ

Good ideas.  I just may have to add a couple buttons myself I guess.  The brooch idea might work too.  Today I have a paper clip holding my sweater together in front...

• Like 1

I think the somewhat weirder style are puffy jackets that have no sleeves. I own one, but I'm not exactly sure why because functionally speaking it's kinda stupid. LOL

I always think of the scene from Back to the Future where they think he's wearing a life preserver. I bought a down one a few years ago on super clearance (like $6) from Lands End. It made me look thicker through the chest and boobs, which is not a good thing.

• Like 3

I like them open..preferably paired with a cute flowy blouse underneath :).  I am..well endowed..so for me to be able to button a cardigan and not have the button holes pulling apart over my chest I need to get one at least a size larger than what I wear which means it fits too big every where else.

• Like 1

But to me the whole point of a sweater is to stay warm, and leaving my front exposed only lets in the cold air! I can barely find any traditional warm button down sweaters anymore...

I always think that about those vest-jackets...it's like a ski coat, but without sleeves. I always wonder why someone needs their torso warm but not their arms! :D

That said, I do have one or two open cardigans. It looks nice from a style perspective.

I think the somewhat weirder style are puffy jackets that have no sleeves. I own one, but I'm not exactly sure why because functionally speaking it's kinda stupid. LOL

YES! Lol! Exactly!

• Like 2

I thought the point was to keep the whole torso warm!

Since you live where it gets 20 below, I can definitely see how you would need it to do so!   :001_smile:  Where I live the winters are super mild -- it barely gets cold.  And since my arms are the first, and often only, part of my body that gets cold, an open cardigan fits the bill nicely.

• Like 2

I always think that about those vest-jackets...it's like a ski coat, but without sleeves. I always wonder why someone needs their torso warm but not their arms! :D

That said, I do have one or two open cardigans. It looks nice from a style perspective.

Maybe what I need is a combo vest-jacket + open cardigan?  :)

• Like 4

I looked at the Benetton site and have to admit that I never knew some of those styles would be classified as cardigans.

I have always thought that a true cardigan stopped at the hip, had buttons and was more tailored. 

I didn't know the longer sweaters that cover the hips and backside, do not have buttons, and are loose would be considered a cardigan. I never really thought about what they would be called. 

I'm not a fashionista by any sense of the word but I'll be looking at what the local stores have as options.

I think the somewhat weirder style are puffy jackets that have no sleeves.  I own one, but I'm not exactly sure why because functionally speaking it's kinda stupid.  LOL

Ha! I'd try to be creative and wear a long sleeve shirt that has art down the arms. But my arms would probably be cold! Ds has a shirt with skeleton bones down the arms.

I wear those puffy vests a lot as do many people I know.  Keeping your core warm goes a long way.  I usually wear mine indoors on top of a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt/sweater on extra-cold days.  Or as another layer under my winter coat when outdoors on extra cold days.  But I live in an area where everyone also wears scarves, long johns, and often hats indoors most of the winter.  Most houses and many businesses are not heated to over 60 degrees during the day.  

I wear those puffy vests a lot as do many people I know.  Keeping your core warm goes a long way.  I usually wear mine indoors on top of a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt/sweater on extra-cold days.  Or as another layer under my winter coat when outdoors on extra cold days.  But I live in an area where everyone also wears scarves, long johns, and often hats indoors most of the winter.  Most houses and many businesses are not heated to over 60 degrees during the day.  

I wear a down bodywarmer (vest) like you do: I'll be wearing (indoors) a camisole, flannel shirt, wool sweater, and then I'll put the bodywarmer over the top if necessary.  We have our heat set to 59 degrees F.

Good sweaters are expensive, though. It's one reason I took up knitting.

This is so true!  The sweaters that I consider easily affordable (in my personal price range) are just absolute crap.  Not worth owning.  So instead of continuing to buy what basically amounts to disposable ones (wear once, and never want to touch it again) I decided I'd save up and buy fewer but nicer ones.  Knitting probably would have been the smarter choice, but I'm so not a crafty type.  What a great skill to have!

• Like 2

I would never consider a cardigan an option for really cold places.

I can't even imagine anything warmer than a turtleneck with a thick wool button-down cardigan (and that's just inside my house!).  When I go outside, I add a warm down coat on top of all of that.  :)

• Like 2

So, this is the kind of button-up cardigan I've been looking all for, and have found so increasingly hard to find...

https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-all/products/womens-chunky-wool-cardigan2-black

(I'll be looking for a less-expensive version though!)

Can you make one for yourself? They're easy to knit or even crochet (crocheted ones tend to be much heavier in weight) and there are dozens of amazing patterns. I have a fantastic sweater and cardigan book from Meg Swanson I can't recommend highly enough if you like full bodied, warm knits. No dainty cardigans here!

https://www.amazon.com/Meg-Swansens-Knitting-Swansen/dp/1883010586

Edited by Arctic Mama

Can you make one for yourself? They're easy to knit or even crochet (crocheted ones tend to be much heavier in weight) and there are dozens of amazing patterns. I have a fantastic sweater and cardigan book from Meg Swanson I can't recommend highly enough if you like full bodied, warm knits. No dainty cardigans here!

https://www.amazon.com/Meg-Swansens-Knitting-Swansen/dp/1883010586

Gosh, those sweaters look beautiful!  I haven't knit anything since I knit my husband a scarf for my first Christmas present to him!  :)  I'll have to think about this though...  Hmmm...  Maybe it's something I could get into.

It's really not that hard and the EZ knitting ratio system that Meg's mother invented works so beautifully. Especially if you're not plus sized or abnormally short or tall, the pattern sizes as they come should work very well. Both Meg Swanson and Elizabeth Zimmermann are the people who will give you no fail sweater patterns and most will garner immense complements to boot, because they're so unique.

Hmmm..  I'll send you some photos of some:

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/sweaters/cardigans/PRDOVR~F5132/F5132.jsp

https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-sweaters/products/womens-chunky-wool-cardigan2-grey

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/karen-scott-marled-wing-collar-cardigan-only-at-macys?ID=2928686&CategoryID=260&selectedSize=#fn=SWEATER_STYLE%3DCardigan%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D715%26ruleId%3D85|BS|BA%26slotId%3D28

https://www.nordicstore.net/collections/handknit-women-wool-pullovers-and-cardigans/products/hruni-wool-cardigan-black

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85026?feat=cardigan-SR1&page=stitchworks-cardigan

This is so eye-opening to me!  I had no idea there were parts of the country where button-up cardigans on women were unknown!  haha   :)  In my part of the country, they are as basic as shoes.

I thought TechWife meant she hasn't seen anyone in real life actually wear it closed. But I don't know what she meant.

• Like 1