Menu

Improve my scrambled eggs

poppy

Butter in pan

Low heat

Crack eggs into pan

Scramble gently with spatula

Stir constantly

Add milk (sometimes---- I'm not convinced it does anything)

Remove from heat

Add salt and pepper to taste

I like the soft, yellow dish this makes.

(as opposed to chewy, with yellow and white streaks)

I want tips

What could i do better?

Crack eggs into bowl first and beat briefly with a fork and milk.  Add to the small, deep, warm, buttered pan (on very low heat).  Don't stir until curds start to form at the bottom.  Then stir once very gently and let curds form again.  Repeat until cooked but still creamy (not dry).

• Like 14

I crack the eggs into a cold pan with a small knob of butter give it a stir to break and mix the egg yolks then turn the heat on and stir close to constantly once the pan is hot. I take it off the heat when it's still a bit sticky and a few moments later it's cooked a bit more with residual heat but still soft. I don't use milk.

Edited by lailasmum

The liquid is added to make little steam bubbles. Split opinions on whether or works. There also seem to be split opinions on whether you should stir constantly or take 30 second to a minute breaks.

You could try stirring in little blobs of cream cheese. My mil does that and hers are delicious.

I read in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Lab-Cooking-Through-Science/dp/0393081087/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476793855&sr=8-1&keywords=the+food+lab

to beat the eggs and let them sit for 15 minutes before cooking.  The guy claims the eggs come out less weepy and creamier.  I have yet to try it.  I should try it.....I guess I'm too impatient to wait 15 minutes.  LOL 

• Like 1

ITA with the others who said to beat the eggs before putting them in the pan. Add milk for scrambled, water for omelets.

The protein in eggs is fragile, so you want to either cook them slowly for a long time over lower heat or cook quickly over higher heat.

I don't stir mine constantly. I *gently* move them around the pan, such that the uncooked egg flows over the cooked egg, if you see what I mean, so that none of the egg sits in one spot too long.

• Like 1

I find that the stirring gently at the right moments is pretty key. If you don't stir, they don't get that fluffy texture. If you overstir they get... I don't know how to explain it... too grainy or something? All broken up.

I also think it's important to take them off heat just before they look done, when they seem just the tiniest bit wet, because they keep firming up with residual heat.

I like to add the salt and pepper into the eggs when I scramble them in the bowl before putting them in the pan.

I'm not convinced the milk does a thing. My mother added milk and folded and that's how she taught me to do them and I was unsatisfied with my eggs for years. And then I watched my grandmother stand there stirring hers with a fork throughout and thought, aha, the secret egg ingredient is air!

I don't add milk or cream to the eggs. I season with salt and pepper, scramble, and cook over low heat. Just before they're nearly done, I add really thin pats of butter. Stir to melt the butter and coat the eggs, taking the eggs off the heat until set. It doesn't need much butter, less than a tablespoon per six eggs or so.

I think this came from Julia Child, which supposedly came from Jacques Pepin. Absolutely the best, creamiest eggs ever. I get tons of compliments on my scrambled eggs.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 1

I read in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Lab-Cooking-Through-Science/dp/0393081087/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476793855&sr=8-1&keywords=the+food+lab

to beat the eggs and let them sit for 15 minutes before cooking. The guy claims the eggs come out less weepy and creamier. I have yet to try it. I should try it.....I guess I'm too impatient to wait 15 minutes. LOL

Best. Eggs. Ever. I love The Food Lab. I will say that they take longer than my normal way, but they're worth it on the days you have time.

I go with the Alton Brown method. Beat the eggs in a bowl first. Heat a skillet over high heat. As soon as you put in the eggs, change temp to low. Turn heat off just before eggs are done and let them finish cooking with the residual heat.

I hate over cooked scrambled eggs. My DH always cooks his eggs until they have a brown crust. -yuck.

• Like 6

Butter in pan

Low heat

Crack eggs into pan

Scramble gently with spatula

Stir constantly

Add milk (sometimes---- I'm not convinced it does anything)

Remove from heat

Add salt and pepper to taste

I like the soft, yellow dish this makes.

(as opposed to chewy, with yellow and white streaks)

I want tips

What could i do better?

I make my eggs exactly the same way you do, except I don't add milk and I add salt and pepper while the eggs are in the pan. 

I scramble the eggs completely when I first put them in the pan and then stir them two or three times after that until they are finished cooking the way we like them, soft and creamy.

I think making scrambled eggs this way is delicious, and I've never had any complaints. I say keep doing what you're doing.

• Like 1

Get pan heating (dry) to medium hot.

Beat eggs in a bowl.

Add butter just before eggs.

Add eggs.

Either reduce heat or (better) raise pan above heat.

For creamer fluffier texture gently shake pan in a "push-pull" motion.

For a drier, more layered omelette texture, use a spatula to fold over just cooked eggs.

Don't overcook.

Bill 

The eggs aren't scrambled as well in the pan, leaving streaks of white that set up before the eggs are completely mixed.

See I always have yellow eggs, not streaky! I think streaky comes from cooking too fast / high heat.

• Like 1

I had to go make breakfast and take notes...

Throw bacon in pan

While bacon is frying break eggs into bowl, add s&p, beat. Add American cheese torn up in nickel size bits. Stir to distribute.

Finish cooking bacon. Drain off grease. Quick swipe to remove some but not all of grease.

Pour eggs in. Turn down heat to medium. Fold eggs each time they start to set. Remove when still slightly wet.

They come out thick and creamy this way. I used to do milk, no cheese but this is the only way the males in this house will eat eggs. Ds and I both dislike American cheese but real cheese tends to make the eggs dry and burns easy.

I'm not an egg eater, but my son swears by Gordon Ramsey's. He uses whatever creamlike product we have on hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

I'm sure those are delicious but that is way too much freaking work for an egg.

I am absolutely not even a little bit of a morning person, and this is more effort than I put into some dinners. O.o

I would like to try them, though!

Ok, so I gotta try it!

If you aren't big on salt I would recommend halving the salt in the recipe. The first time I made them they were too salty for me, but my dd loved them. Half the salt was just right. 

I make skillet meals. A little bit of coconut oil in the pan, add diced potatoes, mushrooms, red pepper, and ham or turkey. Saute until the potatoes are done, and mushrooms are the texture your family prefers, then add the pre-whipped eggs after turning the skillet down so it isn't too hot. I top with parmesan and a small dollop of sour cream. The family loves them.

Crack eggs into bowl first and beat briefly with a fork and milk.  Add to the small, deep, warm, buttered pan (on very low heat).  Don't stir until curds start to form at the bottom.  Then stir once very gently and let curds form again.  Repeat until cooked but still creamy (not dry).

Like this except I mix the eggs first then mix in milk or cream, helps keep the air bubbles out of it and I have a clearer idea that all the yellow and white are mixed well (I hate streaky eggs).  I also add a little bit of garlic powder.

I read an article, I want to say it was on the Serious Eats website, that discussed the varieties of scrambled eggs. And what it came down to was that some people liked fluffy and some people liked custardy. So you need to determine which group you are in, because they are not the same. Overcooked is bad in either case. I started doing Gordon Ramsey's method for custardy (even if you don't add creme fraiche at the end, still custardy) - starting with a cold pan, over high heat, stirring constantly, removing from heat as needed. Unfortunately, it turns out my kids like grandma's better - fluffy. I think that is the low heat with a lot less stirring method given in previous responses. 

I did not realize there were so many methods! I don't like wet/creamy/mushy eggs and I don't like egg stuck to the pan, so here is how I make them:

Preheat skillet on med-high. If the pan is too cold, the eggs stick.

Scramble eggs in bowl with a teaspoon of milk or water. Sometimes I put a couple drops of Tabasco. Beat them until they are fairly uniformly yellow without streaks.

Melt a little bacon fat or oil in the pan. Test to see if it is hot enough by dropping a bit of egg in it. If the egg immediately cooks, it is ready.

Dump the eggs in the pan, stir with a rubber spatula, flip it over to cook the top, and put on a plate. Eggs should be dry but not browned. It usually just takes about 30 seconds.

(I make fried eggs by steaming them over low heat.)

I did not realize there were so many methods! I don't like wet/creamy/mushy eggs and I don't like egg stuck to the pan, so here is how I make them:

Preheat skillet on med-high. If the pan is too cold, the eggs stick.

Scramble eggs in bowl with a teaspoon of milk or water. Sometimes I put a couple drops of Tabasco. Beat them until they are fairly uniformly yellow without streaks.

Melt a little bacon fat or oil in the pan. Test to see if it is hot enough by dropping a bit of egg in it. If the egg immediately cooks, it is ready.

Dump the eggs in the pan, stir with a rubber spatula, flip it over to cook the top, and put on a plate. Eggs should be dry but not browned. It usually just takes about 30 seconds.

(I make fried eggs by steaming them over low heat.)

Close to what I do but I always use sour cream.

• Like 1

I hate eggs. My eggs are delicious! Butter in cast iron pan, chopped green onion, spinach, and some diced tomatoes till slightly soft/wilted, eggs whipped in cup and dumped in to cook, salt/pepper/garlic salt/basil, when almost done add some feta cheese. It is amazing. Tastes some like caprese. Super fast, super easy