Menu

Nursing in public

rwilk

I nurse under a cover in public. I really don't care much how others nurse but I prefer when they at least attempt to be somewhat discrete. My 13yo gets so uncomfortable around undiscrete nursing. I do it all the time at home and that doesn't bother him but it does when it's others.

You can prefer it, but that doesn't mean they should do it. I prefer people not wear short shorts or tank tops that show a bra strap, but that doesn't mean they are rude or indiscreet or immodest to do so. My opinions on clothing have no relevance to them, nor should they. Just like I'm sure the orthodox Jewish family would prefer everyone wore long sleeves and pants/skirts and the nice muslim family is tired of seeing tank tops. You might think exposing an entire breast is immodest, but the person doing it might think it is perfectly modest. Different standards are fine, as long as we don't hold others to our own standards. 

In other words, I might think bermuda shorts are perfectly modest, but another person might think they are horribly scandalous and a temptation to their husbands. Whatever. We can each think what we want, as long as we don't go around telling everyone about our personal opinions or imposing them on others. Better yet would be if we tried to not even think such judgements and instead focused on our own behavior. 

SaveSave

• Like 5

I never encountered anyone making any comments either positive or negative.

I did however, the first time I ever nursed in public, encounter a group of teenage boys at a McDonalds trying to catch a glimpse of my boobs.  Should they been?  No.  Was what they were doing illegal?  No.  I tried to use a cover but being the first time I ever nursed in public ever, it was....difficult.  And, their staring and essentially...giggling...not cool.  Do I think women should have the right to BF in public and not be stared at? sure.  But.....that's simply not what happens, in my experience. 

That is rude, of course, but I kind of feel like many teen boys are going to catch a glimps where they can if they think they can get away with it.  They just like breasts, whatever the context.

• Like 1

That is rude, of course, but I kind of feel like many teen boys are going to catch a glimps where they can if they think they can get away with it.  They just like breasts, whatever the context.

Not to mention, if nursing in public was more commonplace, and they'd grow up seeing it everywhere all the time, they'd be less likely to be so intrigued by it. 

• Like 8

I'm in the Midwest, and many women are nursing in public.  Some use a cover and it's obvious what they are doing at least to me, but many I see, I wouldn't know they are nursing except I walked that road not that long ago.  I've never had anyone say anything to me, and if they gave me looks, I didn't notice.  None of my friends really had negative comments/looks when out and about.  It was usually family that was giving them a hard time.

Not to mention, if nursing in public was more commonplace, and they'd grow up seeing it everywhere all the time, they'd be less likely to be so intrigued by it. 

Yeah, to some extent.  Though I was talking to my male cousin about this, who is a married adult, and he said that really, seeing a breast was almost always better than not seeing one.  Most of us like to look at attractive people, I think, and for teens it is, in a way, all new.

Yeah, to some extent.  Though I was talking to my male cousin about this, who is a married adult, and he said that really, seeing a breast was almost always better than not seeing one.  Most of us like to look at attractive people, I think, and for teens it is, in a way, all new.

Well, yes. There is a comedian outer somewhere, maybe Louis CK? That says men will always prefer to see breasts than not. Doesn't matter....could be a 99 year old woman and they would say, "sure, roll them out!"

But if the teen grew up seeing breastfeeding, it wouldn't be "new" you know?

• Like 2

I've nursed 3 kids in various parts of Florida with no issue, ever. Never even a dirty look. One time, in a Mcdonalds, a man walked up and said, "Do you know where you are?" and I thought he was going to give me crap about nursing there. Turns out, he just needed directions to the highway, lol!

:lol:  Very funny!

Breastfeeding, whether the whole breast is bared or not, is never risque.

Maybe people should concentrate on the culture of not staring at breastfeeding women, and if a bared breast offends them, turning away.

There are valid reasons for baring the breast, to do with latch, with avoiding mastitis, that have nothing to do with so-called 'exhibitionism'.

Exactly. I had to use a nipple shield with both kids. With size E breasts, there is no way to do that discreetly. No one ever said anything to me about it, but I'd tell them to piss off if anyone did. Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2

In my midwest Bible belt town, I almost never see anyone nurse in public. I've been in a room with only other women who were mothers of babies, all of whom were breastfeeding except me, and when someone needed to nurse, she used a cover. I mean, everyone should do what they're comfortable with, but I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to nurse without one, people would be clutching their pearls. In other words, anyone who wanted to breastfeed in public in my town, I'd advise them to prepare to defend themselves.

The only place I ever got push back was in Santa Cruz (the most liberal place I've ever lived!) and I think it was because the person thought that breastfeeders were going to overwhelm him. 

I nurse in public, though I try to be sensitive by doing things like positioning the baby away from people it might bother.

Emily

I used a blanket to cover, and once the baby (and originally I) got used to it it was pretty easy.

The only complaint I ever got was done later. I was the scout leader at my church. We had a meeting, and I had some parents teaching the cultural awareness badge. My son was hungry so I sat way in the back, totally covered and very discrete. Well a week or two later the bishop called me in because some parent had complainec it had been inappropriate. I pointed out the scouts had all been busy and that I had been discrete, fully covered, and that I would have done the same thing elsewhere in public, like a restaurant..

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

If someone gets offended, you can always shout, "What the (bleep), Kevin!"

http://www.scarymommy.com/mom-yells-son-breastfeeding-mom-shame/

Please, please do not read it if the f-word offends you. It doesn't bother me, and I was dying laughing. As a momma who publicly and unapologetically breastfed babes who are now teens and young adults, I have to say that a) this whole covering/not covering/discrete discussion has been hashed and rehashed for as long as I've been a mom, and b ), I wish I'd had the guts to say "What the bleep!" to the rude folks I encountered.

That old mom was awesome!   :lol:

• Like 1

Lucky girl - I pretty much stay a J cup whether I'm thin or heavy, since I lose in my band about at the rate I lose cup size. My nursing size is about a 36J and my non nursing cup right now is a 38I. I kept hoping they'd shrink but I just have a lot of breast tissue.

I order the bullet proof awesome Ukrainian bras and call it good, because even Nordstrom has almost nothing in my size that's not ugly. Sheeeeesh!

I'm not sure what the law is in Texas but around here, keep it covered for modesty's sake is the socially acceptable thing to do. I would assume this is the case most everywhere. Nursing covers with structured top edges make getting a latch easier in a more modest way.

Lucky girl - I pretty much stay a J cup whether I'm thin or heavy, since I lose in my band about at the rate I lose cup size. My nursing size is about a 36J and my non nursing cup right now is a 38I. I kept hoping they'd shrink but I just have a lot of breast tissue.

I order the bullet proof awesome Ukrainian bras and call it good, because even Nordstrom has almost nothing in my size that's not ugly. Sheeeeesh!

What are bullet proof Ukrainian bras?  Do you have a link?  I would like to forward it to my dd.  She has an impossible time shopping for bras even when she's not nursing.

Yes - they're beautiful and awesome and comparably inexpensive compared to Empreinte, Prima Donna, and the other premium brands that fit me well.

Effuniak is the brand, by Ewa Michalak. I've been buying from her for at least six years now. The sizing is slightly tricky as the bands are very firm but with her sizing videos and multiple measurements you can usually get pretty darn close, and she can do custom sizes so gals who need a 26/28 inch band or women who have a large band (44+ inches) and a comparably small cup volume (like a 44B) can also get beautiful bras. My breasts look their best and the styles and genuinely pretty - I can't say enough good things about them.

The only caution is that if you're used to a soft, stretchier band or worn out support they can take a week or two to get used to. Then they're pretty much amazing. The shipping can take a few weeks but it is well worth it. Love!

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/eng_m_BRAS_ALL-189.html

They have nursing bra options too, and those are all I've used the last few babies.

ETA - I just checked and she is still offering some bands of only 60 centimeters, or about 24 inches, and they fit snugly. For really tiny women I haven't seen a better option.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'm not sure what the law is in Texas but around here, keep it covered for modesty's sake is the socially acceptable thing to do. I would assume this is the case most everywhere. Nursing covers with structured top edges make getting a latch easier in a more modest way.

Luckily, if enough women nurse however is comfortable for them, than that is what will become socially acceptable. Norms change :)

• Like 6

Yes - they're beautiful and awesome and comparably inexpensive compared to Empreinte, Prima Donna, and the other premium brands that fit me well.

Effuniak is the brand, by Ewa Michalak. I've been buying from her for at least six years now. The sizing is slightly tricky as the bands are very firm but with her sizing videos and multiple measurements you can usually get pretty darn close, and she can do custom sizes so gals who need a 26/28 inch band or women who have a large band (44+ inches) and a comparably small cup volume (like a 44B) can also get beautiful bras. My breasts look their best and the styles and genuinely pretty - I can't say enough good things about them.

The only caution is that if you're used to a soft, stretchier band or worn out support they can take a week or two to get used to. Then they're pretty much amazing. The shipping can take a few weeks but it is well worth it. Love!

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/eng_m_BRAS_ALL-189.html

They have nursing bra options too, and those are all I've used the last few babies.

ETA - I just checked and she is still offering some bands of only 60 centimeters, or about 24 inches, and they fit snugly. For really tiny women I haven't seen a better option.

Thank you.  I'm going to give her this information.  She just gave birth last month, and the last time I saw her she was wearing a sports bra that didn't give the support she needs, and it was cutting into her shoulders.  She's had 3 babies very close together and never had a chance to get back to her pre-pregnancy size, which is quite large.

I might make it a birthday present for her.

You'd be a great mom to do that. I find two nursing bras and one I-need-to-feel-pretty bra work for me postpartum when I'm on a budget. They last quite a long time but the daily wear does kill them after about 6-8 months with nursing. Still, the exchange rate with the polish zloty is good and it's cheaper on shipping to get a few at a time. I also recommend buying two sizes if you're not positive of your cup in her measurements, and then just returning the size that doesn't fit. It's a faster way of narrowing down what you need.

The nursing bras:

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/eng_m_NURSING-BRAS-154.html

I wanted to add...a nursing mom should NEVER be told she has to go into a restroom {eww! germs!~} or her car {heaven forbid! The heat!, y'all!} to nurse or feel shunned in any way. I've nursed in the middle of the mall, during Church meetings, in restaurants, parks, airplanes, and any where else my little ones needed to eat. 

I think it is 2 separate issues- a Mom's right to nurse in public spaces, and the covered vs uncovered debate

Some people are just infuriated at nursing in general. They are idiots. 

I'm curious why you were frustrated by what your neighbor chose to do in her own home. I'm personally not comfortable baring even a little bit of breast in front of my friends and relatives. Why would it shock you if I chose to use a cover in my home for that reason? Would you rather I be uncomfortable to satisfy your sense of what is necessary and what is not?

No I was frustrated with the other three for feeling that covering up was not enough. They didn't want her breast feeding her own child in her own home with them there even if she covered up. They wanted her to feed the baby when they were not there. Since this was a newborn and the meetings sometimes lasted 3 or 4 hours that really wasn't practical. And frankly it was her home. Why shouldn't she feed her child and the way she felt best? She was covering as a courtesy but it was frustrating to me that they didn't think that was good enough.

• Like 3

No I was frustrated with the other three for feeling that covering up was not enough. They didn't want her breast feeding her own child in her own home with them there even if she covered up. They wanted her to feed the baby when they were not there. Since this was a newborn and the meetings sometimes lasted 3 or 4 hours that really wasn't practical. And frankly it was her home. Why shouldn't she feed her child and the way she felt best? She was covering as a courtesy but it was frustrating to me that they didn't think that was good enough.

Oh, my, I am so sorry I misunderstood you. Yes, that would be incredibly frustrating and infuriating. What in the world?!?

• Like 3

The longer I've nursed the more impractical covering seems in lots of scenarios. I think people need to be aware that not all nurslings are newborns and some babies will pull the cover off. I remember the time I tried to nurse discreetly in church and had a very billowy top with a camisole underneath. I really didn't want to leave the cry room and I was in the back so I tried to nurse there. But I ended up with my baby's whole head in my shirt and she was not wanting to be covered. She was probably thinking what the heck, Mom? She was so used to being nursed at home, uncovered, that trying to force a cover was not natural for either of us. I gave up and took her to another part of the church where we had some more privacy because I just didn't feel comfortable otherwise. Especially since some of the people in the cry room were often men. But that's just me. I'm just trying to say that if a baby is used to being uncovered at home, it may not go smoothly when you try to switch it up in public and I think the people that say "just cover up" make it sound sooo easy.

Luckily, if enough women nurse however is comfortable for them, than that is what will become socially acceptable. Norms change :)

Norms change fast too!  When my kids were nursing 15-20 years ago I was a card carrying LLL member.  In a room full of wall to wall, comfortable-with-nursing, no-covers-to-be-found mothers and I never saw anyone who couldn't nurse comfortably unless she went top down or took off her shirt. I still haven't seen this in public and people nurse everywhere around here.  I'm guessing that's where it's headed.  It'll take some getting used to, but men have been taking off their shirts in public forever so we'll eventually adjust.  I still haven't seen anyone around here pull down their shirts to nurse, but it's bound to show up eventually.

I nurse under a cover in public. I really don't care much how others nurse but I prefer when they at least attempt to be somewhat discrete. My 13yo gets so uncomfortable around undiscrete nursing. I do it all the time at home and that doesn't bother him but it does when it's others.

Okay, I so, so, so don't understand how people think a cover is more discreet.  To me, it screams HEY BREASTFEEDING GOING ON HERE!!!!  NAKED BOOB AND FEEDING BABY RIGHT HERE UNDER THIS HUGE BLANKET!!!!

For just over a year now, the most common comment I get is along the line of: "Oh my god, you're breastfeeding?? I couldn't tell! I'll leave you alone!" And after a couple of months I started doing it everywhere whenever. No cover, but mostly shirts lifted. I guess people can't tell? Small boobs for the win?

This was my experience too.  I nursed everywhere right in the open: in the middle of busy malls, in museums, in restaurant booths.  No one ever noticed.  And I have huge boobs (especially while nursing), although I did invest in nursing tops because of that, and yes, the post-twin belly flab.  Too much flabby acreage to lift up a cute top... :lol:  But yeah, the only time anyone ever noticed was if they came right up to me to tell me my baby was cute and then realizing they were kinda in my personal space (it's kinda hard to be a self-righteous jerk about your nursing in public when they've practically put their nose to your boob at that point, so who's the weirdo...).  But that only happened a couple of times.  I think it's way easier to be discreet this way than by draping this huge thing over yourself and baby that telegraphs what you're doing to people all the way across the room.  And then there's the fact that many babies really hate being covered up and won't latch or - horrors - kick or yank the blanket off, detach and scream.  Then you're really exposed.

I did not nurse my twins in tandem in public, though.  That's a feat I did not master. :lol:  I did once nurse my singleton in a sling while hiking with three toddlers.  That was probably my least discreet moment, but the little one was hungry and the the other three needed to keep going...  I just kept hoping if anyone came along the trail the other way they wouldn't look close...  :leaving:

And a bit of a tangent and not aimed at anyone, but it's bugging me.  Discrete = separate.  Discreet = modest.  Discrete breastfeeding is what - one boob at a time?  Okay, I feel better now. :D

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Wait, it never occurred to me that discreet meant concealing the fact that you're nursing. I thought it meant becoming a ninja with boob concealment.

I think covers are ridiculously cumbersome and obvious. For me discreet means being casual with nursing and not drawing attention to it, and managing to get the job done with the least skin and exposure necessary to do it well. So yeah, ninja skills with shirt. I found pulling my neckline down was actually more effective for me than lifting my shirt up many times and nobody had to see my massive stretch marks, which make me self conscious. I can now nurse casually enough that most people don't realize I'm doing it. Success!

Wait, it never occurred to me that discreet meant concealing the fact that you're nursing. I thought it meant becoming a ninja with boob concealment.

Well, if you want to avoid the haters, it's easier when they have no idea what you're doing...  there are in fact, it seems, lots of people that have a problem with nursing in public no matter how many baby-burkas you use...

I personally have no problem with others showing a bit of boob.  I hung out with the LLL moms, after all.  For me personally I didn't feel like flashing, and was more comfortable that way.  But I didn't feel the need to go over the top with the modesty.  I guess in my thinking going all the way to blanket is akin to burka - covering to telegraph how modest you in fact are.  It's quite easy to be breastfeed discreetly and not burka the baby...  but also I think whichever way makes the mom and baby most comfortable is the most important consideration.  If that's a blanket, great.  

Rubs me the wrong way if the consideration is somehow to spare the fragile males from a possible boob-sighting or the concept that breastfeeding exists and that the purpose of the boob is not just for their jollies (which seems to be the root of the haters disgust).  Oh noes.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

I live in Hawaii and never used a cover with either of my kids. I did tend to be discrete, using my clothing to cover up what I could, but that was my personal comfort level, not because of any pressure I felt from anyone else. I never had anyone say anything negative to me.

I would just nurse where ever and however you and your baby are most comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm smiling remembering AOL message boards 20-odd years ago devoted to this very topic and the endless posts! It's somewhat shocking that this is still an issue (and that those message boards were 20+ years ago!)

I've breastfed in public in many states and all sorts of situations. It should be fine :-)

I always covered with a light blanket.  It's how I felt most comfortable, and I always liked creating a little quiet, private bubble for my nursing baby.  I even sometimes did that in my own home when no one else was around!  That was almost 20 years ago now.  

I don't even notice how women nurse nowadays.  I'm kind of oblivious to things like that I guess.

I'm north of Pittsburgh. Most moms nurse here and I haven't seen any made to feel uncomfortable about doing so. I nursed 3 all over (malls, grocery store, restaurants, etc.) and only got positive comments. I tended to do the "pull up the loose tshirt method". I never used a cover up.

• Like 1

Okay, I so, so, so don't understand how people think a cover is more discreet.  To me, it screams HEY BREASTFEEDING GOING ON HERE!!!!  NAKED BOOB AND FEEDING BABY RIGHT HERE UNDER THIS HUGE BLANKET!!!!

<snip>

LOL, and yes! I don't understand the thinking that it's more discreet to put a big tent over oneself to nurse.  If people are offended by nursing in public, signalling that nursing is happening is not going to placate them.  Some people are just uncomfortable with the notion of nursing. 

(Note I am not saying people shouldn't cover up if they want to.  I am all for nursing wherever and whenever the baby needs to and in the best way for mom and baby to do it.)

But I think people are kidding themselves if they think using a cover is more discreet than just wearing clothing that's easy to nurse in.   Being discreet means not calling attention to oneself.  A nursing cover definitely calls attention.  A mom holding her baby close does not, or not as much. 

• Like 1

This also will depend upon who is near you. My wife was spoken to by a "Female" Delta Air Lines Flight Attendant, on a late night flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas. My wife was trying to be discreet and was covered. I think the Flight Attendant did not like children and/or was not a normal woman.  My wife hasn't forgotten that experience, although it was when DD was not quite 6 months old. That in a country where huge numbers of people consume illegal drugs and that is considered "normal". 

But I didn't feel the need to go over the top with the modesty.  I guess in my thinking going all the way to blanket is akin to burka - covering to telegraph how modest you in fact are.  It's quite easy to be breastfeed discreetly and not burka the baby...  but also I think whichever way makes the mom and baby most comfortable is the most important consideration.  If that's a blanket, great.  

Rubs me the wrong way if the consideration is somehow to spare the fragile males from a possible boob-sighting or the concept that breastfeeding exists and that the purpose of the boob is not just for their jollies (which seems to be the root of the haters disgust).  Oh noes.

I think you are perhaps being a little judgy here about the internal motivations of Muslims and others. I didn't like showing my breast in public. That doesn't mean my cover was meant to telegraph how modest I was.  :confused:

And I don't think Rose M. was equating "discreet" with "no one will notice I am nursing." 

Regarding "fragile males." The males in my life are not fragile, not pervs, and not worried about a breastfeeding woman causing them to stumble. They are just uncomfortable with partial public nudity. You can say that they shouldn't be, but that doesn't change the fact that they are. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. They would never say anything to anyone and would simply look away if necessary. But, you know, I'm not personally okay with making a male friend or relative feel uncomfortable to prove a point or be a little more physically comfortable myself. 

• Like 1

I think covers are ridiculously cumbersome and obvious. For me discreet means being casual with nursing and not drawing attention to it, and managing to get the job done with the least skin and exposure necessary to do it well. So yeah, ninja skills with shirt. I found pulling my neckline down was actually more effective for me than lifting my shirt up many times and nobody had to see my massive stretch marks, which make me self conscious. I can now nurse casually enough that most people don't realize I'm doing it. Success!

Lots of women I know do the two shirt method. It's kind of hot to wear two tops, though, depending on season. So when you lift up the outer shirt no one can see your belly. That is what I did. And given the size/shape of my boobs I don't think I could have ever done the pull neckline down route lol.

• Like 1

Norms change fast too!  When my kids were nursing 15-20 years ago I was a card carrying LLL member.  In a room full of wall to wall, comfortable-with-nursing, no-covers-to-be-found mothers and I never saw anyone who couldn't nurse comfortably unless she went top down or took off her shirt. I still haven't seen this in public and people nurse everywhere around here.  I'm guessing that's where it's headed.  It'll take some getting used to, but men have been taking off their shirts in public forever so we'll eventually adjust.  I still haven't seen anyone around here pull down their shirts to nurse, but it's bound to show up eventually.

Um, I don't think ANYONE is saying women are fulling undressing to breastfeed. But in say a sundress, or certain tops that have a loose or stretchy neckline but a more fitted waist, pulling the neckline down is the only or best way to get access without fully undressing. I've had a few tops like that, and that's how I nurse in a nightgown as well. It's a reasonable thing. Some women aren't comfortable that exposed, but some are and the law gives women that right. The baby's mouth covers up the nipple anyway. 

• Like 1

I'm actually possibly considering getting a cover (or more likely a lightly woven shawl or something) for nursing during Mass with, just because sometimes it is close quarters there and I may have a man I don't know right up next to me. But maybe not, we'll see. I can't think of another time I'd use one. But I also think anyone that wants to use one shouldn't be thought as less of, or whatever. I'm comfortable going grocery shopping in yoga pants and a tank top. I'm comfortable in a tankini at the beach. Other women would be very uncomfortable in those outfits, and would rather wear a loose shirt over their yoga pants or not wear them at all, and are only comfortable in board shorts and a rash gaurd at the pool. And that's okay! We both just need to respect each other's levels of comfort, and I shouldn't think the woman in the rash guard is a prude, and she shouldn't think I'm a hussy trying to get attention. Somehow we generally seem to recognize this, that our clothing isn't some political statement, just what we like, but when it comes to breastfeeding it is some big philosophical or political argument...about drawing attention to one's self versus stifling women's need to feed their baby or whatever. 

Just do what's comfortable for you, and honestly if anyone cares they are unlikely to say so anyway. And really at that point it is their problem for being judgemental, not your problem for how you are nursing. 

• Like 1

I have actually had the opposite problem here- my oldest bio kids I nursed, my 3 youngest were fostered then adopted, so bottle fed formula only, & I have been accosted about bottle feeding & buying formula:(

we're in a pretty conservative area, yet many many moms nurse & apparently feel the need to tell strangers that " formula is dangerous" & that I should be ashamed for not breastfeeding my babies.

(Mind you, it's illegal to breastfeed a foster child in my state, or give them pumped breast milk from a donor & we would lose our license)