Menu

What size sheets? *Updated w/pics (which include cats) #20

TechWife

Before I open my packages, I want to check with the hive. 

My husband and I require two different mattresses. So, we have purchased a king size bed frame and ordered two twin XL mattresses to go on it. It will take a king size fitted sheet, correct? Please tell me yes. Otherwise I am doomed to a bed with hard to change sheets! 

Edited by TechWife

Before I open my packages, I want to check with the hive. 

My husband and I require two different mattresses. So, we have purchased a king size bed frame and ordered two twin XL mattresses to go on it. It will take a king size fitted sheet, correct? Please tell me yes. Otherwise I am doomed to a bed with hard to change sheets! 

Seriously?   :lurk5:

Never in a million years would I have thought of this!  

Please update this thread after you try using two mattresses and one sheet. If you are successful... Sheer genius!   :party:

I am in awe... :tongue_smilie:

• Like 3

My sister does this (religious reasons), and the king sheets fit over her two twins, when she uses the bed that way. She has this cool connector, too, so there's not a gap between mattresses - did you find one of those?

I hope your new set up works!

• Like 2

My sister does this (religious reasons), and the king sheets fit over her two twins, when she uses the bed that way. She has this cool connector, too, so there's not a gap between mattresses - did you find one of those?

I am super curious about a religion that dictates mattress choice.  Can you tell us more?

• Like 5

I haven't seen those - is this an example? 

or is it more like this

The gap is one thing I've been wondering about from a comfort perspective. 

Seriously?   :lurk5:

Never in a million years would I have thought of this!  

Please update this thread after you try using two mattresses and one sheet. If you are successful... Sheer genius!   :party:

I am in awe... :tongue_smilie:

It will be Saturday when it's all delivered. I'll try to post pictures (I'm not very good at posting pictures). 

SaveSave

• Like 1

I am super curious about a religion that dictates mattress choice. Can you tell us more?

My sister is an Orthodox Jew. During her period, they have to sleep separately. In their early years, her DH took the couch. Later (and now), they used two twins - so they separate them during her period, and look like Mr and Mrs Cleaver, and connect them afterwards. :)

• Like 3

I haven't seen those - is this an example?

or is it more like this?

The gap is one thing I've been wondering about from a comfort perspective.

I think she's used both! The second one is most like what I can remember her using more recently, but it's been awhile since I've had a reason to notice or chat about it.

• Like 1

I think she's used both! The second one is most like what I can remember her using more recently, but it's been awhile since I've had a reason to notice or chat about it.

I decided to start with the less expensive one. It should be here on Friday! 

• Like 1

I decided to start with the less expensive one. It should be here on Friday! 

If you got the cheaper one, try getting a king size mattress cover to put over it and then you should be all set with regard to the gap.

-A savvy Orthodox Jewess 

;)

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 6

It worked! I'm so excited! Now for the photo gallery: 

Twin XL Mattresses in frame (they have allergy covers on them already): 

28376046650_fef3b57eca_z.jpgtwinxl by Tech Wife, on Flickr

with connector recommended by Spryte: 

28044118153_b40a7eb4c1_z.jpgconnector by Tech Wife, on Flickr

With the cover recommended by YaelAldrich:

28376047870_bc0e50e011_z.jpgcover by Tech Wife, on Flickr

With the king size fitted sheet: 

28582044521_c1c332a19b_k.jpgsheet by Tech Wife, on Flickr

Fully made up: 

28376049300_c478671107_k.jpgbedspread by Tech Wife, on Flickr

Turned down for the "layered" look (bonus: cats):

28044117433_8d0c08f521_k.jpgcoverlet by Tech Wife, on Flickr 

SaveSave

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 31

you don't iron your sheets???  :svengo: 

Just Kidding!!!! My mom does & long ago she tried to shame me about my wrinkled sheets. Didn't work  :laugh: 

<3 the kitties!!!! 

:lol:

Ha! I meant to include a disclaimer! I love the feel of cotton sheets, but no, I don't iron them!   

• Like 2

you don't iron your sheets??? :svengo:

Just Kidding!!!! My mom does & long ago she tried to shame me about my wrinkled sheets. Didn't work :laugh:

<3 the kitties!!!!

I ironed my sheets once. It took about 25-30 minutes. I think this was during that end of pregnancy nesting period, where I just *knew* my sheets couldn't have a single wrinkle. They looked great. And then 20 seconds into lying down they were wrinkly. Never again!

• Like 5

I ironed sheets twice to use as a backdrop for a photography photoshoot.  It was pretty much a pointless endeavor.  They wrinkle up immediately. 

And it took me about 30 minutes to iron them, like an OP said.  Blah.

I only opened this thread because of the promised cat pictures.  The cats are adorable!

• Like 3

The cats are adorable!

Thank you! They are two years old and a hot mess! There is another, older cat, but she is really upset with the change, so she didn't want to play. She usually sleeps under the bed (practically lives there, actually) and this bed is lower. She hasn't gone under yet. We shall see what the night brings. 

• Like 1

i used to work in a high end bedding store. it will depend upon the quality of the fitted sheet, usually reflected in the pocket depth.

This is what I was thinking, much depends on the pocket depth (i.e. height/thickness of mattress). Get a deep pocket mattress [eta I mean deep pocket sheets] to be sure.

FWIW, we had a room with two twins that we pushed together as a king when married couple guests came to stay. We purchased a thin king size foam topper to kind of minimize the "seam" where the twin mattresses came together. King deep pocket sheet still fit.

Edited by Seasider

My sister is an Orthodox Jew. During her period, they have to sleep separately. In their early years, her DH took the couch. Later (and now), they used two twins - so they separate them during her period, and look like Mr and Mrs Cleaver, and connect them afterwards. :)

This is honestly rather fascinating, thanks for sharing. I appreciate their resourcefulness in handling the sleeping arrangements.

• Like 1

I'm glad it worked out. My dd has a king box springs with two twin mattresses. They're a perfect fit. They don't go over the box springs at all. I would have imagined a twin XL to hang over a bit.

The box springs are twin XL as well. They fit perfectly into the king size frame.