Menu

Survival Schooling - Tips / Tricks / Help please

Please don't quote as I may edit / remove later. Talk to me about survival schooling please. I'm in a position this year where if I could put dd in school, I would. But our local school is terrible, and dd would not do well there with her mild ASD. Charters wouldn't be much better, and would add in even more stress with transportation issues. This is my 6th year homeschooling, and dd is going into 5th. I'm terribly burnt out, dealing with a lot of stress {mostly related to being a single parent with no support network & limited financial resources}, a fair dose of depression {seeking treatment is a last resort for a variety of issues that I don't want to get into here, but I'm self-treating with high dose Vit. D which normally helps after a while}, and chronic health issues that aren't going to get better. Unschooling for a year isn't an option - I've done that before and dd does not unschool well {she does not have good school habits}. I've already planned to switch to mostly workbook type things that dd can probably complete on her own / with minimal supervision on my bad days. I can handle grading in batches if needed. DD is also getting to the age where she wants to do more outside activities {which is not good for my issues} and she needs that social practice / friends so I'm trying to line up options for that as well that don't necessarily require me to go out or deal with people. 

If you have had to survival school - what helped you? How did you get your kids a basic education while dealing with issues? What tips/tricks do you recommend?

ETA: Not exactly looking for curriculum suggestions right now, but more things you did while doing this type of schooling that helped. Even with things like cooking / cleaning / etc as those are also big issues for me - when I'm not doing well our meals stink because by dinner time I'm fried. For school this coming year we'll be using the following: Spectrum Language Arts workbook Caught'cha Middle school, Lifepac Grade 5 History with fiction added, Saxon 5/4 {more teacher intensive but I own it already so no spending}, Apologia Human Anatomy sans experiments / notebook, and Texas History dabbles {mostly field trips}. 

Edited by frugalmamatx

On the year that I was downright exhausted,my boys used

Evan Moor Daily English for language arts

SM textbook and workbook for math

Indoor sports which are drop off for PE and social.

I am allergic to pollen and some shrubs/trees so indoor is much better for me. The places my kids did sports all have financial aid available.

We just watch documentaries for science, history and geography.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine switched to CLE language arts, reading and math. She also used Evan Moor daily 6 trait writing. For Science and history she used ABeka. If you need secular, oak meadow it Calvert are options. Or run s book basket for those subjects and require 30 minutes of reading a day and once a week she has to write a one paragraph summary of tell you about what she read.

• Like 2

I agree with the suggestions for CLE LA and Math, and Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing. Those are written to the student and are easy to grade. The Complete Book of United States History could be fine for an overview of US history. For science I would look for a used textbook on Amazon or at a thrift store.

Do you have a Boys & Girls Club or Y nearby that has children's programs? Is she interested in Girl Scouts or Campfire? Is there a homeschool PE program nearby? Swimming lessons? I agree that having something structured that you could drop her off to would be ideal. I would do whatever I could to get out and get her opportunities to socialize even if it is tough to manage - staying home too much would not be good for either one of you. You could stay in the car and read, knit, etc.

• Like 2

For history you could either watch documentaries together, or Notgrass is very open and go, and easy to grade. But I'd have zero issue just watching documentaries together. Heck, there are enough Ken Burns documentaries to keep you going for a full year alone. 

Science is documentaries, Science Friday on NPR etc. Or something like CLE I supposed. 

• Like 1

I agree with the suggestions for CLE LA and Math, and Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing. Those are written to the student and are easy to grade. The Complete Book of United States History could be fine for an overview of US history. For science I would look for a used textbook on Amazon or at a thrift store.

Do you have a Boys & Girls Club or Y nearby that has children's programs? Is she interested in Girl Scouts or Campfire? Is there a homeschool PE program nearby? Swimming lessons? I agree that having something structured that you could drop her off to would be ideal. I would do whatever I could to get out and get her opportunities to socialize even if it is tough to manage - staying home too much would not be good for either one of you. You could stay in the car and read, knit, etc.

We have a YMCA nearby, but even with scholarships it's out of our reach {Their policy is to only cover 50% via scholarship} PLUS they were iffy on dealing with dd's ASD. Free Homeschool PE fizzled out here, the only other option is $100 a month which is too much. She is interested in Girl Scouts & I'm trying to find her a troop but having trouble finding one that meets at a time we can make it AND somewhere we can get on public transit. I'm perfectly happy to stay home nearly all the time :) but I recognize that dd needs social events. 

Frugal, people are giving good suggestions, but would you mind listing what she is already doing? It would help if what you switch to is as similar as possible to what you've already been doing. 

We've done a hodgepodge over the years, but last couple of years was Sonlight, Apologia science, and Ace Paces math. I edited my OP to reflect the items we'll be using this year - I need to make those work due to my budget this year. 

• Like 1

On the subject of social events - would it be terrible of me to drop dd off at a local church's Sunday school & go to the coffee shop a block away for some me time? She enjoys their VBS every summer {and I enjoy the down time} so I know she would do ok. She made several friends last time she attended. But right now I have no interest in church for myself {long story} but I don't mind dd attending Sunday school. I was debating seeing if the church had a program to pick up kids for Sunday school as some in our area do. 

• Like 1

On the subject of social events - would it be terrible of me to drop dd off at a local church's Sunday school & go to the coffee shop a block away for some me time? She enjoys their VBS every summer {and I enjoy the down time} so I know she would do ok. She made several friends last time she attended. But right now I have no interest in church for myself {long story} but I don't mind dd attending Sunday school. I was debating seeing if the church had a program to pick up kids for Sunday school as some in our area do. 

If you are both comfortable with it, I think that is a good plan. 

I don't know...

My family situation was terrible for a while....I loved School and am so thankful for it.

It was a place I could go to that had none of the problems that were awaiting at home. 

Some of the schools I went to were considered "bad" but had the best teachers I ever had.

Some were considered "great" but I felt like a number - yet, it was better than being home with my mom's problems.

I think you may want to take a tour and see about it.  

• Like 2

On the subject of social events - would it be terrible of me to drop dd off at a local church's Sunday school & go to the coffee shop a block away for some me time?

A family friend (couple) offered to bring my boys to their weekly church 2hr playdate. Is there something like that for you?

Hugs.  Have you actually taken a tour of the ps school your child would attend?  How reliable is the information that the school is bad and what exactly is meant by "bad"?   Is it from multiple sources?  Or just a couple of other homeschoolers?  Or...?  I would not judge the school based on the hearsay of one or two others or only on test scores.  Some schools with terrible reputations actually end up being a good fit for kids that are a little outside the norm for functionality.  

You need to take time to help yourself and that may not happen if you are constantly feeling guilty about things you think you should be accomplishing with your daughter.  Honestly, putting her in school might be good for both of you.  If it doesn't work out you can pull her back out again and she might really appreciate homeschooling and be able to function fairly independently.  In the meantime you would get some time to help you.  

Do you actually know any reliable parents with kids in the local ps that you could talk with regarding the specifics of why that school is "bad"?

• Like 1

How do you feel about using technology? I've had times when school gets put on the back burner - headache days, newborn days, international move days (months). A few select online programs helped keep things going. When I'm laying in bed trying not to puke, or the baby is screaming, or I'm buried under paperwork, I can just tell CP to please do x, y, and z on his computer and the day doesn't become a complete waste.

Right now the online programs he uses are Prodigy, Duolingo, and Scratch (and other programming things). He's done Headadventureland, ReadTheory, KhanAcademy, and other random things as well. I always double check what he's done (other than Scratch) with a teacher's account or by "following" on Duolingo. 

As for housework, I think that's a good idea. Though with ASD I think you would need to do a fair bit of upfront instruction and scaffolding? But a daily chore chart sounds appropriate for a 5th grader.

• Like 1

During our rough patches school looks like this.

Math

Writing of some form maybe even just copy work.

For younger kids a reader every day.

Meals can be as simple as meat, salad, toast and still be heathy.

For content subjects, do you have a good library? You could just do interest led and borrow books and DVDs around whatever she likes history and science wise. Audiobooks from the library are a great way to get literature in.

For the depression, along with the vitamin d, going to bed by 9.30 every night and getting a bit of exercise are good management strategies if it's not out of control.

For the sports activities drop and run is best if you can find something affordable.

• Like 2

Oh, yeah, Time For Learning online isn't free, but not super expensive for one kid. Something to think about. 

I think CLE language arts is probably overkill and too much during a year of survival schooling. Its very very grammar heavy. A year without grammar won't kill anyone. If you needed to do it, Growing with Grammar is very independent, and although I don't think there is a ton of retention with it it would be a LOT easier to implement. That plus "write a letter to Grandma once a week", and a handwriting book if anyone still needs handwriting. 

CLE math. Or Teaching Textbooks if can afford it. 

LOTS of watching PBS, and documentaries from the library, curiosity streaming, or netflix . 

And books. Required silent reading time for kids that can read, and you read or play an audio book for kids that can't. 

I just want to say if you find a way to be comfortable with putting her in school I would. No guilt.

When looking for a church to for the Sunday School program I would look for one with many children's programs. A church where we used to live had a couple of weekday afterschool gym type things also, I think.

Cooking. I would start looking at 5 ingredient recipes http://www.food.com/ideas/5-ingredient-dinners-for-busy-moms-6023?c=3810 and slowcooker recipes. Also making things in quantity and freezing in meal sized packages.

• Like 1

Since you're single and don't have a spouse wanting dinner in the evening, I'd switch lunch and dinner. That's what my grandparents always did - bread with peanut butter or jam or w/e for breakfast, maybe with a boiled egg, then dinner stuff for lunch, and then bread with peanut butter or jam or w/e at dinner time. Also, my almost 9yo high functioning autistic kid entering 4th grade has been learning to help cut some veggies, and to make pancakes (still needs help) for the past half year or so, so your daughter is definitely old enough where you could start 'cooking' as a life skills subject too (call it home ec?).

As a side note, do you have a doctor occasionally testing your vitamin D levels? It is possible to overdose over time on that stuff (your body can store up extra vitamin D), so taking high doses without occasional blood work is not recommended.

• Like 3

First of all, :grouphug: to you, frugalmamatx.

As much as possible, try to have a flow to the day (we'll do math and reading in the morning, and history this afternoon). Skill subjects (3 R's) happen daily, content subjects (history, science, etc.) rotate through the week.  Having a flow to the day works much better for me to be consistent.  Timing things right by the clock stresses me out.  My husband says I live in my own time zone...

Having a flow to meals helps too.  Lunch can be sandwiches one day, leftovers the next, ramen/mac n cheese on the next day, repeat.  Similar ideas for supper--pasta one night, then meat or rice and beans, then soup/salad, then pizza, then leftovers night, then breakfast for supper. Repeat.  Find 3 or 4 recipes for each category and rotate through. Makes it much easier to run on auto pilot if needed. 

If you need to, a year (or two) of Spectrum workbooks (for extra practice) + Khan Academy (for helping with concepts and teaching) for math will not kill anyone. Spectrum Writing/Spelling/Grammar is not too bad either.  Glencoe and McGraw Hill have pretty good Language Arts workbooks online that are free for the printing as well. Here's a page with links to some of those ...

What Your __th Grader Needs to Know books are great for history/science content (add in videos from YouTube--or PBS.org has a great selection of videos for many topics-my kids watch copious amounts of NOVA for history and science). 

Read aloud daily.  Pick a book you like.  Who cares what list it is (or isn't) on.  Enjoy reading together.  This has been very healing for my family.

• Like 1

This might be a great idea.  Actually my former pastor and his brother loved it when their parents would drop them off at church as kids.  The parents were going through a lot and not attending church.  Both parents were struggling with physical and mental health issues.  The boys looked forward to Sundays and eventually they started attending youth group gatherings on Wednesdays as well.  The church took them under their wing.  The boys did a lot of things with the church and found it a very positive experience.

What worked for me when I had an acute medical crisis with long-term implications was JUST reading and math.

I had to prioritize my relationships with my kids.

So I gathered them around me in bed. They played on their tablets and told me about it. I read. We watched  A LOT of documentaries and regular shows. We played games.

They were already in the habit of just getting their simplified, bare bones LA and math done. I let LA slide sometimes.

Gathered around, as much as possible. That was the ticket.

We did CLE Math, the US History Book + MP's State & Capitals Review, Galore Park Science and Writing & Rhetoric Fable and a book list for a survival year. You could sub Easy Grammar instead of Writing & Rhetoric. I'm not familiar the the 6 trait writing, but I like most Evan-Moor stuff.

Getting out of the house (library programs?) and keeping a food/ health/ symptom journal could be two things to consider for your own health. Sometimes depression is a symptom of other issues.

I don't know if this would be out of your budget, but my kids just finished an online cooking class called Kids Cook Real Food. My 10 YO was very interested in cooking and baking and this really helped her gain some confidence and learn some new skills. It helped my younger kids too. She could probably cook most of the things we eat on her own now, although slowly. If your DD could do this, it would be good life skills for her, and cooking help for you. You might be able to get away with just the advanced modules if she has a little bit of cooking knowledge already. It was $30 per module or $60 for all (beginner, intermediate, advanced) for a year's access. It's a video course. I think enrollment will open again late summer. There's a 30 day money back guarantee too if you try it and don't like it.

I'd also suggest crockpot meals. We have a few we rotate through for lunch and they all take 10 mins or less for me to prep. You could probably find many crockpot recipes your DD could do independently (my 5 yo can do a good chunk of ours and they're all whole foods). Since you're cooking for only two there should be enough leftovers for lunch the next day, or to freeze and reheat for another dinner.

Also, if she can do it, having your DD do one daily chore toward the upkeep of the house would help you a lot. Things like quick cleaning a bathroom, vacuuming, or a load of laundry, plus maybe a basic kitchen clean-up once a day.

• Like 3

I got a lot of helpful thoughts during a time of upheaval last year: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/544119-help-for-homeschooling-during-upheaval/

We had even more upheaval after that, and I have often battled feelings of discouragement, stress, constantly feeling behind, totally burnt out but unable to quit, with no support network.

I've read some on depression since then, and one of the most practical things that stuck with me is to "just do the next right thing." Does the baby need his nappy changed? I go change it. Do I need to wash a load of laundry? I don't minister to the clothes, I just fill up a load of all different colors on cold and move on. In a way perhaps it helped that I didn't have the option to put my kids in school: I knew I had to keep on doing this for their sakes, and it helps keep me too busy to think about my personal issues. :) But in another sense, perhaps it would have been really nice just to send the older ones to school for a year until my life got back into some semblance of order. :) if you decide that you will keep on homeschooling, I would keep that thought forefront. "Do the next thing." Is it time to get up? Do it. Time for a shower now? Do it. Did dd eat breakfast? What about you? Etc. same thing with homeschooling: Is it time for math? Do it...

As I read through this thread, I was thinking, take her to some church activities! They will help her soul, hopefully give her good friends and families to be around, and provide free activities like a children's choir or gym time. Then I saw you wee already thinking of that. I've also heard of people using their library for art activities or book discussions groups. I wouldn't know about that since I don't have that option.

For household issues, buy a stack of paper plates. Teach dd to help with chores if she isn't already. I wouldn't survive if my kids weren't helping to fold clothes and wash dishes. I also thought of slow cooker meals, and the occasional breakfast for dinner type meal.

Is there anything you would like to do or learn yourself that would provide you some personal interest and peace? Perhaps you could take a class together with you daughter on drawing or music appreciation or something. I have no idea if anything like this exists. hugs to you, and I hope you find an option that you feel good about.

• Like 3

We did CLE Math, the US History Book + MP's State & Capitals Review, Galore Park Science and Writing & Rhetoric Fable and a book list for a survival year. You could sub Easy Grammar instead of Writing & Rhetoric.

:lol: :lol:  What do y'all do in a regular year?

:lol: :lol:  What do y'all do in a regular year?

LOL- it's not so bad. We did school 4 days a week, except sometimes we'd try to do math on the fifth day. It was mostly stuff dc could do by themselves. I had taken on extra kiddos, and then ended up taking a job a few months into the school year. We had a really good year.

Math- 8:30-9:30- CLE at whatever level. I had one kiddo in Singapore.

LA (Writing & Rhetoric Fable is only supposed to be a semester-long book)- 9:45-10:30. Read if time left over. I had an older kiddo in Lively Art of Writing.

10:30-11:30- History or science. The US History book is very bite sized, the MP State & Capitals review is meant to be a once a week thing, and the Galore Park science was right around 100 pages.

I've dealt with thyroid issues, thyroidectomy, cancer treatment, two C-sections, twin pregnancy, diastasis recti, and the ongoing repercussions of all of that, so I have some experience with surviving. :grouphug: Here's what I recommend:

• Meal Prep First -- When do you have the most energy? Whenever that is, make meals, prepare food, clean up the kitchen. Use the energy you do have to (eventually) gain more energy -- more through healthy food, more through reasonable exercise, more through spiritual renewal, more through any medical/alternative care that actually helps you turn the corner. Your daughter is certainly old enough to help make a salad, a veggie tray, a fruit tray, some veggie soup, something in a crock pot. If you eat bread and have a bread machine, teach her to throw in the ingredients and press "start." Clean up afterwards, there is nothing worse when you don't feel well than having a sink full of dirty dishes. Even when I've been at the lowest energy level, that sink stays clean! I suppose it's my anchor in a storm? LOL.
  • Self-Care & Mothering -- Use the energy you do have for self-care and mothering. Those are your two top priorities, especially as a single parent! Write them out and tape them on the wall -- SELF-CARE & MOTHERING. Much more meaningful in the long-run than Latin declensions.
  • Bed Times & Wake Times -- As much as it is possible, keep your bed times and wake times consistent, even on weekends and holidays. Establish whatever bed time routine is the most effective in producing a restorative sleep. For me, that includes dimming lights for at least two hours prior to bed time, drinking Sleepy Time Extra (herbal tea), winding down after the girls are in bed, being in comfortable clothing, keeping the bedroom cool, and going to bed late enough (yes, for me, late enough) that I feel as though I've had some time to myself each day. Whatever you need to do to establish good sleep habits in both yourself and your daughter, do it. Sleep is essential.
  • Comforting Things -- This varies from person to person, of course, but you know there is always something that makes you feel better, right? Try to avoid that something being food (seriously). Instead, perhaps a fuzzy blanket, a flickering candle, a warm pair of socks, a mug of hot tea, a good book that doesn't take too much energy to read it -- any of those things can bring a sense of comfort, calm, coziness. For me, I find comfort in a certain quality of light. I know, I'm weird. But I have this little tree in my house, with little white lights. That tree stays up all year, and at night, when the girls are in bed, the light from that tree gives off a soft glow that I enjoy. I turn off the house lights, put on the tree lights, light a candle in the kitchen, make herbal tea.... I find the same (but different) enjoyment in getting up to watch the sunrise. The house is still, and -- except for this needy rabbit on my lap -- I am simply myself. Being Mommy will begin soon enough, but for now, I am simply me.
  • Stay Alive -- I am going to put that out there. I believe it needs to be said. Stay alive. Dead people do not parent. Dead people do not teach math, not now nor any other day. Dead people don't get to see what would have been around the bend. Alive people do. More than any other thing, you need to live. Do whatever it takes to live.
  • Be Realistic -- IMO, sometimes the decision to continue homeschooling can be the wrong decision. It is not always best for the child involved. Be honest with yourself and your child about the education you can or cannot provide. If the hard work of homeschooling is more than you can carry right now, then you need to acknowledge that. If the public school near you really can do better (or at least be more consistent), then put her there. FWIW, if I were in your shoes, I would visit the school, talk to people whose children attend there, try to meet with someone in administration this summer, and let that simmer for a few weeks. You never know, it might truly be a decent school.

I hope and pray that you will find wisdom and strength in your time of need. Hang in there! :grouphug:

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 6

Frugalmama, I was going to suggest this, but then saw that you posted it. Yes, absolutely, find a good, Bible-believing church close by, and get her plugged in there. If you feel it's necessary at some point, you could briefly explain to the pastor that you are healing in that area, but you still want your daughter to be a part of the church and make friendships there. But even if you don't "explain yourself," if the church has a heart to minister to children and families, they should have no problem with your daughter attending on her own. I would check out the policies for some things first, though. Who is in charge? Do they have at least two unrelated adults with children at all times? Are there background checks? That kind of thing, so she's safe.

My sister and her husband have taken one of their daughter's friends to church for years, since her mother is single (and doesn't want to go). Another friend's mom has cancer now, so they take that girl, too. I've been in church all my life, and that's a normal part of children's ministry. It's okay! :)

• Like 1

I think this is a great idea.  Given that evangelism is a big part of church, even for nonevangelical denominations, I would think that most churches would be happy to accept an unaccompanied preteen.

I wouldn't be surprised, if you mentioned to the priest or pastor that you were a single parent with medical issues, if a "carpool" in your area didn't appear.

We've had several times where we were in survival mode for various reasons (job loss, moving, new baby, etc).  If a family homeschools long enough, it's inevitable.  Our survival mode:

Math

Writing 

Independent Reading using books from the library

• Like 5

You got plenty of suggestions, so I don't have much to add. Other than maybe some meal planning? It has made my life easier. And dd is at a great age to learn how to cook... maybe that's something you can both enjoy together.

Will pray for things to get better!!

I don't know if this would be out of your budget, but my kids just finished an online cooking class called Kids Cook Real Food. My 10 YO was very interested in cooking and baking and this really helped her gain some confidence and learn some new skills. It helped my younger kids too. She could probably cook most of the things we eat on her own now, although slowly. If your DD could do this, it would be good life skills for her, and cooking help for you. You might be able to get away with just the advanced modules if she has a little bit of cooking knowledge already. It was $30 per module or $60 for all (beginner, intermediate, advanced) for a year's access. It's a video course. I think enrollment will open again late summer. There's a 30 day money back guarantee too if you try it and don't like it.

Finally found this post!! I have been eyeing this program, would you mind sharing your experience in a separate thread I started for it? I'd greatly appreciate it!!

I almost could have written this post. Lots of similarities, some differences.

In any case. I switched ASD DD2 (10) from CLE to mostly electronic resources. What a breath of fresh air. I used to spend so much emotional energy dealing with her and school and we have had oodles of appointments for our multiple special needs kiddos.

I considered public school so many times....but I don't think she'd be well understood, she overwhelms easily. Electronic school helps her focus better visually and it blocks out background noise, we can also use headphones.

We signed up for Time4Learning - not my favorite, I'll be honest. But..she does it herself every morning. She LOVED Reading Eggspress (free trial), and Reflex Math goes...mostly well ;) (free trial also). We will be switching math to Teaching Textbooks once it shows up in the mail.

Cut back to bare basics. Call it good.

Big hugs. The struggle is real. I suck at meals.

• Like 1