Menu

What should I *not* serve my English and German guests?

Ellie

He's English, she's German. They're coming over for dinner this Friday. For boardies who are any variation of English and German, is there something that you can recommend *not* serving? Something your American friends fed you that you thought was awful?

I know that I'm not going to try to make anything English or German, because I'm sure it won't be the same. Anything?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet and savoury combined. My British friends think it's insane to include fruit (apples, strawberries, etc) on salad. I expect they would find pineapples on ham strange too.

Lemonade. Over here lemonade is a fizzy drink, so still lemonade is odd to them.

• Like 3

How old are they?

The one thing my German FIL hated was cornbread.  It reminded him of the moldy canned cornmeal crap he had to eat during and after the war.  But then my husband really likes cornbread.

One thing most of the Germans in the family don't seem to like are foods you eat with your hands if they are messy.  Like crunchy tacos.  They liked the taste, but were not amused by eating with their hands.  I was highly amused and it was payback for something crappy my MIL did to me so I don't feel bad and would do it again.  :lol:

That's all I can think of.  Everyone is different, and I really don't think this is a German thing or an English thing. 

Oh...to add, the Germans I know don't like super spicy foods. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 9

They are in their 40s, and I believe they've been in the U.S. for awhile. The husband is the accompanist at my church.

Y'all are helpful. TYVM!

Ah ok.  My husband is 43.  Only things he doesn't like are messy foods you eat with your hands and very spicy foods.  He says he doesn't like beef, but I honestly think he is afraid of mad cow disease so that turned him off to it.

• Like 1

HOW is this possible??? You've never even SEEN biscuits and gravy before? I'm aghast. Truly. (LOL)

No it's apparently not common around here.  Another thing I never see are grits. 

Only very recently did I try fried okra. 

I know of various regional dishes, I've just never seen some of them in any restaurant around here. 

Maybe there is something I've had that you haven't.  Trying to think of something regional.  How about boiled dinner? 

• Like 2

HOW is this possible??? You've never even SEEN biscuits and gravy before? I'm aghast. Truly. (LOL)

I wish I could say the same. The white gravy stuff makes me cringe. To each his own. :)

DH works for a German company. We regularly host Germans for dinners. Along with English and French.

We don't serve German food.

Our guests have varying tastes, but overall they tend to want "American" food if they are visiting for short times. The ones staying in the US for long periods branch out more, because they're not looking for an experience.

Despite a PP's experience above, we've had steak dinners go over well, in fact it's even been the request many times, when we know people well enough that they feel comfortable making preferences known. And often if they choose a location to eat out, they'll choose a steakhouse. So YMMV.

• Like 3

Grits and fried okra are rather regional, but are biscuits and gravy? I mean, I see it in hotel breakfast buffets all over the country all the time. I didn't think that was a regional thing. Or is it?

Definitely regional. I've seen it in the south and maybe the SW, but not in the NE at all. I can't recall, but think maybe it was in the Midwest, too.

• Like 3

Grits and fried okra are rather regional, but are biscuits and gravy? I mean, I see it in hotel breakfast buffets all over the country all the time. I didn't think that was a regional thing. Or is it?

Yeah I think it is.  I've kinda heard of it.  What surprises me more is that it's a breakfast thing.  I would not have guessed that. 

Maybe I'll try making it.

• Like 1

I wish I could say the same. The white gravy stuff makes me cringe. To each his own. :)

DH works for a German company. We regularly host Germans for dinners. Along with English and French.

We don't serve German food.

Our guests have varying tastes, but overall they tend to want "American" food if they are visiting for short times. The ones staying in the US for long periods branch out more, because they're not looking for an experience.

Despite a PP's experience above, we've had steak dinners go over well, in fact it's even been the request many times, when we know people well enough that they feel comfortable making preferences known. And often if they choose a location to eat out, they'll choose a steakhouse. So YMMV.

I believe it on the steak thing.  That's one thing my MIL loved.  I've tried all sorts of beef dishes and steaks in Germany and I have yet to have one that I thought was as good as here.  Their beef tastes different to me.

• Like 1

We know some English people (who have been living in the US for a long time, but obviously still English). I never bring any stereotypically "English" dish when they are around. Once I brought trifle (15 years ago) and they thought it was an abomination and couldn't believe I'd made it "that way" (I'm still not sure what my huge trifle sin was... whatever it was, apparently I hadn't made actual trifle.) So I would probably wouldn't be serving yorkshire pudding w/ bratwurst, but most other things are ok. I'm sure you can't go wrong!

Edited by tm919
  • Like 3

We know some English people (who have been living in the US for a long time, but obviously still English). I never bring any stereotypically "English" dish when they are around. Once I brought trifle (15 years ago) and they thought it was an abomination and couldn't believe I'd made it "that way" (I'm still not sure what my huge trifle sin was... whatever it was, apparently I hadn't made actual trifle.) So I would probably wouldn't be serving yorkshire pudding w/ bratwurst, but most other things are ok. I'm sure you can't go wrong!

LMAO

Sounds like my MIL's attempt at "all American" burgers.  nooooo

• Like 3

Yeah I think it is.  I've kinda heard of it.  What surprises me more is that it's a breakfast thing.  I would not have guessed that. 

Maybe I'll try making it.

That is crazy! It is so common here, especially in restaurants that serve breakfast (Midwest)! A quick version, canned pillsbury biscuits and jimmy dean white gravy mix with sausage to pour over the biscuits. So good!! 

• Like 2

Dh has traveled to Europe a lot, and he believes many Europeans dislike Mexican-type food. Ditto on the corn, especially on the cob. Our Swedish relatives were shocked when we boiled up some Silver Queen corn and served it to them. They like hamburgers and hot dogs, though. And ice cream. :)

Have you ever had Mexican food in Germany? It's a completely different beast. :D Not my preference either.

A few people have mentioned corn on the cob, and I agree that there's a shock factor to it. The younger, more adventurous friends of ours loved it - 3 couples sans kids, living in the US for two year stints (not at the same time)... All 3 learned to make it and served it at their "American" BBQs later. So, again, YMMV.

For the older executive types (DH's CEO and CFO make annual trips as well), we've never gone that casual. Though I'm guessing the CFO might love it.

• Like 3

I recently made chocolate gravy and biscuits at a church potluck here in Texas. They had never had it even though it is very common for breakfast in Arkansas where I grew up. Anyone else ever had chocolate gravy?

As for your guests, since they've been in the US a while, I'd probably just make something that your family really loves or something with a story behind it, like a recipe passed down in your family.

• Like 6

White gravy mix! My southern heart is about to stop.

Sausage Gravy Recipe
1 lb breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean is my preference)
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
Salt and pepper

1) Fry up sausage, breaking it into bite size pieces, over medium high heat until browned through. Place sausage on towel lined plate to drain, but leave fat behind in the pan.
2) Whisk in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to cook off the raw taste. If the roux is too thick or not smooth, add a bit more fat whether vegetable oil or butter. Don't let it brown.
3) Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until mixed through and no lumps remain. Stirring occasionally, cook over medium heat 7-10 minutes until gravy thickens. If it's too thin, cook for a bit longer; too thick, add more milk. Add cooked sausage. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over country style biscuits, preferably homemade.

ETA: I forgot to include the step where you add the sausage back to the gravy before serving.

ETA2: More corrections. I miscalculated the flour to milk ratio: it's 2 tablespoons flour for every cup of milk. I just scoop in spoonfuls of flour until the roux looks right then add milk until the gravy looks right. As others further down have said, really season the gravy. It needs lots of pepper and a good amount of salt. Unlike traditional brown gravy made with stock, there's not much salt in milk.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 10

I recently made chocolate gravy and biscuits at a church potluck here in Texas. They had never had it even though it is very common for breakfast in Arkansas where I grew up. Anyone else ever had chocolate gravy?

Chocolate gravy & biscuits is very common here in Ky.

• Like 1

I never heard of chocolate gravy. 

My relatives always made brown gravy (like a roux?) versus the white, milk gravy that my dh's relatives made.  My grandmother hated that white stuff, as do I.  Mine were from southern Louisiana, while dh's were from SC.  It probably depends on where you are in the South, too, as to what kind of gravy they have.

Oh, and Hardee's serves that nasty white gravy over biscuits or steak.  Every time we go down to see our kids, dh has to go get that stuff for breakfast every day.  :ack2:   And when dh cooks gravy, that's what he cooks - white, milk gravy.

• Like 1

Sausage Gravy Recipe

3/4 cup flour

4 cups milk

Salt and pepper

1) Fry up sausage, breaking it into bite size pieces, over medium high heat until browned through. Place sausage on towel lined plate to drain, but leave fat behind in the pan.

2) Whisk in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to cook off the raw taste. If the roux is too thick or not smooth, add a bit more fat whether vegetable oil or butter. Don't let it brown.

3) Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until mixed through and no lumps remain. Stirring occasionally, cook over medium heat 7-10 minutes until gravy thickens. If it's too thin, cook for a bit longer; too thick, add more milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over country style biscuits, preferably homemade.

I typed in "white gravy" on the local grocery store's website (you can order anything they sell in store on-line).  You know what came up?  Cat food.  LOL 

So I guess we don't have white gravy mixes around here.  I'll try this.  Sounds interesting. 

• Like 4

Chocolate gravy & biscuits is very common here in Ky.

So what is chocolate gravy? How do you make it? We're all about gravy but this is a new one on me.

I typed in "white gravy" on the local grocery store's website (you can order anything they sell in store on-line). You know what came up? Cat food. LOL

So I guess we don't have white gravy mixes around here. I'll try this. Sounds interesting.

This is an especially filling breakfast for teenage boys. It definitely sticks to your ribs (or leaves a lump in your stomach). I usually split a biscuit between myself and my two toddlers because I can only handle a few bites. My youngest would eat the gravy with a spoon if I let her.

• Like 1

This is an especially filling breakfast for teenage boys. It definitely sticks to your ribs (or leaves a lump in your stomach). I usually split a biscuit between myself and my two toddlers because I can only handle a few bites. My youngest would eat the gravy with a spoon if I let her.

I think even my very picky kid would eat this. 

Definitely regional. I've seen it in the south and maybe the SW, but not in the NE at all. I can't recall, but think maybe it was in the Midwest, too.

Checking in from the suburbs of Kansas City.  My favorite breakfast is biscuits and gravy and it's easy to get around here. 

I haven't heard of chocolate gravy but I'm interested.

• Like 3

My (southern) father used to make biscuits and gravy when I was a kid, otherwise I would have never had it. The very idea of soggy biscuits and that awful white chunky gravy still grosses me out (sorry to those who like it!). I think Sparkly's grocery store has the right idea.

AFAIK it's not on any menu here, except maybe in a hipster ironic way, probably with lobster instead of sausage. Lol. It's definitely regional. Same with sweet tea, which I've never had nor seen. Even my southern MIL doesn't touch it.

My German relatives would have eaten anything served to them, though we did find my cousins' horror at not eating pizza with a knife and fork pretty amusing. I think of some old ways are changing though. I'd serve them whatever you normally like to serve guests. It seems odd to me that anyone would take offence over dinner.

• Like 2

Sausage Gravy Recipe

3/4 cup flour

4 cups milk

Salt and pepper

3) Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until mixed through and no lumps remain. Stirring occasionally, cook over medium heat 7-10 minutes until gravy thickens. If it's too thin, cook for a bit longer; too thick, add more milk. Add cooked sausage. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over country style biscuits, preferably homemade.

ETA: I forgot to include the step where you add the sausage back to the gravy before serving.

This is how I make it, except you really don't need that much flour. 1/4 cup for 4 cups of flour should be enough.

Biscuits and gravy is a very regional thing.

:iagree: it's pretty much completely unknown around here. I've only ever seen them south of the Mason-Dixon line. They are most definitely not on any restaurant menus around here, not even national chains.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

I would also suggest that your focus be on fresh, unprocessed foods, and away from huge quantities on the plate.  

So (to choose an odd example inspired by an English relative's experience at IHOP), instead of a 1500 calorie giant pile of enormous pancakes smothered in sugared fruit and chocolate syrup and Cool Whip, consider a small stack of dollar-sized from-scratch pancakes made from quality ingredients, with a few fresh strawberries on the side.

Edited by justasque
  • Like 2

I typed in "white gravy" on the local grocery store's website (you can order anything they sell in store on-line).  You know what came up?  Cat food.  LOL 

So I guess we don't have white gravy mixes around here.  I'll try this.  Sounds interesting. 

I didn't quote right....because you can't see the recipe.  But, if you try the recipe, really salt and pepper the grayy.  We put lots and lots of pepper in our gravy.  Yum.   Do not be afraid to add lots of seasoning.

• Like 2

Spinning on this gravy thing (sorry, Ellie, your thread has taken an interesting turn!) ... My mom used to make red eye gravy with grits and maybe ham. She mostly made it as an experience for our French exchange students, I think. I think it's regional as well - is it southern or just a NC thing?

• Like 3

As for your guests, since they've been in the US a while, I'd probably just make something that your family really loves or something with a story behind it, like a recipe passed down in your family.

I have never, ever had chocolate gravy. To me, "gravy" is savory not sweet. I.just.can't.even. :D

::trying to remember family recipes::

• Like 2

Spinning on this gravy thing (sorry, Ellie, your thread has taken an interesting turn!) ... My mom used to make red eye gravy with grits and maybe ham. She mostly made it as an experience for our French exchange students, I think. I think it's regional as well - is it southern or just a NC thing?

Rabbit trails often happen here. It's fun. And I've gotten some helpful answers in the process. :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

I hear chocolate gravy and I think chocolate sauce or hot fudge sauce like you put on ice cream. Is it that or something different?

Something different. It's basically a white sauce with chocolate and sugar added.

• Like 1

We had it as a special treat as kids, except over toast instead of biscuits. My maternal grandfather was from Arkansas, so that may be where the family carried it from, but nobody else in my Texas hometown had ever heard of such a thing.

I grew up in HI and went to college in the northeast and had never heard of biscuits and gravy until we lived in MS. I didn't not gain a taste for biscuits and gravy. No catfish, either. OTOH I do like fried okra. But I'm still not brave enough to try chit'lins.  :tongue_smilie: