Menu

Need to lose 8 pounds (but can't deal with being hungry)

Squawky Acres

The baby is weaned and two years old, so I am ready to focus some effort on myself and try to lose the remaining baby weight and get back to around 112 pounds (a healthy weight for me -- I'm only 5' 4").  I would like to try some combination of diet/exercise that will not take too much time, and will not make me feel hungry.  Really, the not feeling hungry is for the good of my family, as I get snappish and have no patience when I feel hungry.  I haven't paid much attention to diet trends in the last ten years, so am not sure what is out there and what is the most effective.  Is there anything really great everyone is doing now that might work for me?

By way of background, my diet is already pretty good -- organic, whole foods, lots of vegetables, somewhat low in carbs.  I don't really have a craving for sweets, but I do have a craving for fattening cheeses and just eating an enormous amount of food (so as not to be hungry . . . or snappish . . . for the good of my family).

I'm thinking maybe researching Whole 30, maybe taking up jogging, or at least doing some exercise DVDs once in a while.

• Like 1

I'd also say THM but can I ask is 112 really an ideal weight for 5'4"? I'm not much taller than that and pretty sure I haven't been that weight since seventh grade. :) And I'm normally a 6/8. Are you incredibly small boned?

I was going to say the same! I'm 5'4 and in decent shape. I haven't been 112 since I was 12! The lowest I've been as an adult is 125 and people were commenting.

• Like 6

I'd also say THM but can I ask is 112 really an ideal weight for 5'4"? I'm not much taller than that and pretty sure I haven't been that weight since seventh grade. :) And I'm normally a 6/8. Are you incredibly small boned?

Yes, 112 is my pre-baby weight, and a healthy weight for me as I have a small frame.

THM looks interesting, but I might need to research further, as it looks like it might be associated with Nancy Campbell and her ministry.  Is there a secular equivalent?

• Like 1

Yes, 112 is my pre-baby weight, and a healthy weight for me as I have a small frame.

THM looks interesting, but I might need to research further, as it looks like it might be associated with Nancy Campbell and her ministry. Is there a secular equivalent?

Something like Whole 30 or just a basic low carb diet.
  • Like 1

I was going to say the same! I'm 5'4 and in decent shape. I haven't been 112 since I was 12! The lowest I've been as an adult is 125 and people were commenting.

112 should be about right, and would allow me to wear my 2/4 clothes that are currently in storage.   I hope that is realistic?  I do have a very different life now.  Pre-kids, when I was 110/112, I lived in NY, walked everywhere, and had a personal trainer.  I did drink a lot more, and ate a lot of take-out, so in some ways I have healthier habits now.  The problem is that I do not exercise at all, and tend to eat all day as I am home with the kids and constantly near the kitchen.
Edited by Squawky Acres

I've just lost 20 pounds and did it by counting calories and increasing protein.    I figured out the times of day that I tend to snack/overeat/crave junk food, and replaced snacks with a high protein shake - usually between 3:00-4:00 in the afternoon.   I tweaked my breakfast to reduce calories (i.e., the amount of coffee creamer I used to use), started eating a small high-protein lunch of about 200-250 calories, then a protein shake in the mid to late afternoon, then a reasonable portion of whatever I served the rest of the family for supper.   That worked for me, was much simpler than trying to follow a specific type of diet, and I've lost 20 pounds over 3 months.

• Like 6

Yes, it is Nancy Campbell's daughters that wrote the book. I don't think there is a secular equivalent but the premise is a low glycemic index diet. It is pretty much what a well controlled diabetic would eat. It teaches a way to pair your good carb meals with very little fats or no fats,  and fattier meals with little good carbs or none at all and alternate meals. That's the very "short" version. It turns on the fat burning in your body and works like a charm.

Edited by MyLittleBears
  • Like 2

I am 5'5" and 116 is my ideal working out weight. I am not small boned but I think my bones are hollow or something. I have no idea why I am this size. My absolute heaviest ever was 133... when pregnant. I promise you I was eating all I could keep down including protein shakes. I'm guessing OP is like me, bird-boned.

OP, I remove snacking completely when I want to lose weight and take evening walks. It sounds like at your weight, since it's not urgent, eliminating snacking and doing something else instead might work.

Edit: How long has it been since you weaned?

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

112 should be about right, and would allow me to wear my 2/4 clothes that are currently in storage. I hope that is realistic? I do have a very different life now. Pre-kids, when I was 110/112, I lived in NY, walked everywhere, and had a personal trainer. I did drink a lot more, and ate a lot of take-out, so in some ways I have healthier habits now. The problem is that I do not exercise at all, and tend to eat all day as I am home with the kids and constantly near the kitchen.

Have you tried any of those clothes on?

I can be at a higher weight and wear some of the clothes that I did pre-pregnancy.

• Like 1

I'm the same height and while 112 would be too low on me, every body really is different. If that's your "normal" and where you feel your best, there's no reason not to aim for it. That said, my current "normal" at 43 is higher than pre-baby, but I'm stronger and healthier too. Weight, I'm learning, is only part of the picture. But yeah, I like it when I can fit into my size 2 jeans too. :)

For me, getting regular exercise is what makes the biggest difference. Even sneaking a couple of 20-30 minute videos at home every day really helps. Lush the exercise helps keep me motivated to eat better, so it's a happy circle. Can you get the kids to jump around with you, or work out during nap time/TV time/after they go to bed?

• Like 2

112 should be about right, and would allow me to wear my 2/4 clothes that are currently in storage.   I hope that is realistic?  I do have a very different life now.  Pre-kids, when I was 110/112, I lived in NY, walked everywhere, and had a personal trainer.  I did drink a lot more, and ate a lot of take-out, so in some ways I have healthier habits now.  The problem is that I do not exercise at all, and tend to eat all day as I am home with the kids and constantly near the kitchen.

I wouldn't have an expectation to get back to pre-children size and shape unless I was doing regular, somewhat intense physical training. Dieting may take some fat off, but it won't produce any muscle tone.  I trained in the martial arts pre-kids, and went back after my 3rd child. It sure helped get me back into pre-child shape; I have no tummy bulge as long as I'm doing regular push-ups and sit-ups. It returns when I don't. Arms and legs are the same - you may be able to get thinner, but there won't be any muscle definition.

More importantly than getting - 8 pounds, I'd focus on a healthy, active life-style for the long term. You aren't doing your heart and lungs any good by not moving. Eventually, your bones will get even more fragile, which will be tough if you're already small boned. You need to think about preventing typical injuries that occur in older adults, like heart problems, broken bones from falls. You do that by getting and staying active now.

It looks like, from your avatar, you already do hike carrying little ones, so perhaps your "not exercise" comment is referring to not going to the gym. If you are eating healthy and physically active, that's great. Try drinking herbal tea when you're bored and need something in your hand, snacking on high protein snacks when you feel hungry, and increasing the intensity of your physical activity. You may get back into the pre-child clothes, or they may be outdated and you want something different. ;)

• Like 8

Just one more thing, being hungry may not be the only source of your "snappishness." It could certainly be one source, but lack of sleep, stress, noise, could be other sources. Exercise is a wonderful way to relieve stress, and get some time for just you. When there are lots of little ones in the house, there probably less time for you, and less sleep for you, too.  Instead of going straight to food when feeling "snappy" perhaps you can try to build in some other ways to deal with stress.

• Like 4

I'm not someone who tracks calories at all......but I did use my fitness pal for a week or so to track calories and it was a real eye opener. Eight pounds isn't that much and it might just be a matter of tweeking your eating a little bit.

• Like 3

I wouldn't have an expectation to get back to pre-children size and shape unless I was doing regular, somewhat intense physical training. Dieting may take some fat off, but it won't produce any muscle tone.  I trained in the martial arts pre-kids, and went back after my 3rd child. It sure helped get me back into pre-child shape; I have no tummy bulge as long as I'm doing regular push-ups and sit-ups. It returns when I don't. Arms and legs are the same - you may be able to get thinner, but there won't be any muscle definition.

More importantly than getting - 8 pounds, I'd focus on a healthy, active life-style for the long term. You aren't doing your heart and lungs any good by not moving. Eventually, your bones will get even more fragile, which will be tough if you're already small boned. You need to think about preventing typical injuries that occur in older adults, like heart problems, broken bones from falls. You do that by getting and staying active now.

It looks like, from your avatar, you already do hike carrying little ones, so perhaps your "not exercise" comment is referring to not going to the gym. If you are eating healthy and physically active, that's great. Try drinking herbal tea when you're bored and need something in your hand, snacking on high protein snacks when you feel hungry, and increasing the intensity of your physical activity. You may get back into the pre-child clothes, or they may be outdated and you want something different. ;)

That's what I'm afraid of -- that this is no small change I need to make in order to be in pre-kid shape.  8 pounds sounds rather small; but really, I want my pre-baby figure back with defined arms and no tummy bulge.

As I haven't really done anything yet, I think I can make some changes and see some progress at least by trying a new diet and more regular exercise.

Yes, "not exercise" means I don't go to the gym or do any workouts at home.  Hiking is just for fun with the kids on the weekend, but is not something I am able to do during the week as it is a BIG production getting everyone ready for a hike, and difficult to keep track of little ones in the woods without my husband's help.

Have you tried any of those clothes on?

I can be at a higher weight and wear some of the clothes that I did pre-pregnancy.

Yup - tried them on.  Jackets won't button.  Pants won't go past my hips.  Very depressing, as I had a very nice, classic, designer wardrobe that I can't begin to replace now that I have different priorities.

For under ten pounds, i would cut out all sugar (except whole fruit )and alcohol, and move my body appreciably more. Squat breaks during commercials, walks, a hike every week, whatever.

And take good vitamins because those large meals and snacking might be your body NEEDING some little something, and trying to get it.

Get! More! SLEEP!

The problem with any prescribed diet is that you probably arent going to fo it forever with its just a matter of fluctuating one or two sizes. And some of them can be fine or great for others, but dangerous for you.

This is not what you asked at all, rather the opposite, but I'll share because it was  a revelation for me.

I used to be terrified of "being hungry." I was conditioned to think that if I ever didn't consume "enough" food I'd be weak and unable to take care of my house and my children. To the extent that I'd eat a snack before going on a drive, even if I wasn't hungry, because I was worried I'd be "out of nurishment" while out and somehow lose my capacity to be a good mom.

Then I stumbled onto 5:2 (and 4:3) way of eating ("fasting" at 500 calories twice a week). I was curious to try it. I planned to do nothing on  my first fasting day. I was sure I wouldn't be able to work out, go for a drive, or anything, really. Then I talked to a friend who has been fasting for years, and she was surprised. She said she usually has more energy when fasting. So slowly, I tried not to be afraid.

The first time I worked out on my fasting day I was certain I'd collapse in exhaustion. I didn't! I actually felt great, better than ever. I also started counting calories to see where I was at and I was horrified how much I was eating. I'd easily eat over 3000 calories of HEALTHY FOODS. I don't eat junk, I tend to eat low carb / high fat, I eat lots of greens and only berries, avoiding the high glycemic index fruits. And yet I was gaining weight because I was massively overeating, out of fear of going hungry.

I love this way of eating now, and I love my fasting / light days. I feel more energy (mental and physical) and I lost 15lb in 6 weeks. I was surprised of how much of my eating was psychological. I eat way less on my non fasting days! I don't feel compelled to overeat anymore.

I've been doing modified (I have bad knees) 30 day shred level 1 and 2 available for free on youtube for work out. It is short and to the point and easy to follow. When I have more time I do another one of their work outs (Jilian Michaels', No more Troulbe Zones, which is 55 minutes).

I'll add that I lost 15-20lb very easily on Low Carb / High Fat after baby #2, and I think it is a great way. However, I crave fruits this time around and am not willing to limit them. Plus, I love having fasting days.

• Like 3

Keep in mind that your body really does change post-kids. Some people can get back to the way they looked previously, but for many of us, some of the changes, like bigger hips and a bit of a tummy pooch, are fairly permanent. You might be very healthy but still unable to fit into the pre-baby clothes simply because of these changes. I was in fantastic shape from years of martial arts before dd, but even if I went back to that kind of intense workout schedule, my body isn't going to look like it did back then.

• Like 19

Keep in mind that your body really does change post-kids. Some people can get back to the way they looked previously, but for many of us, some of the changes, like bigger hips and a bit of a tummy pooch, are fairly permanent. You might be very healthy but still unable to fit into the pre-baby clothes simply because of these changes. I was in fantastic shape from years of martial arts before dd, but even if I went back to that kind of intense workout schedule, my body isn't going to look like it did back then.

This is true.

And for the OP, there is also the fact that you'll be close to 10 years older. Your body wouldn't look exactly the same as it did 10 years ago even if you didn't have 5 children. Doesn't mean that you can't be the best you for this time and place in your life, though.  There are many, many more 40+ racers in half-marathons than any other age category. People usually have more time when the kids are a little older to devote to getting back into shape. I ran my first marathon at age 42, and got my black-belt at age 40.  

• Like 6

*If* the primary concern is getting back in shape then I don't know that I'd be looking at a crash diet, it is hard to build muscle mass with a major deficit. Of course you could work on losing some fat and then adding some muscle. You are right that even with it just being a few pounds getting back in shape is going to take a lot more than a month of going hungry, even if the weight drops to your previous number.

I've kept back in decent shape between kids- actually was leaner and stronger before #3 but this last pregnancy kicked my butt and I'm working my way back. At first I was thinking months but my thinking is more long term now. My hips have widened after this last pregnancy and seem intent on impersonating Kim Kardashian without my consent. Whatever. My abs are in the best shape they've been in since pre-kids- despite the saggy skin that I can't change. I'm working upper body strength and learning cool new skills with Silks. I'm building strong legs w/ yoga and biking. Anyway, I totally get having a look in mind- BTDT- but trying to achieve a certain look can sometimes be very demotivating and elusive- especially when our bodies and lives are a lot more complicated than before. Some things might look pretty similar, some things might look better and some, well aesthetics are just a small part of it and we just can't control all of it.

Long winded story to say- my thoughts(being on a similar journey-)I don't do hungry either- being really hungry makes it hard to be active and I'd rather build muscle and do fun stuff than be hungry.

If you already eat real good food

-start a food journal- the very act of writing things down is often enough to change habits-

-observe what you eat and look for small changes you can make(substituting lower cal/fat/carb foods- cutting portions/snacks etc)

Focus on finding activities that you enjoy.

-There are a ton of different ways to build endurance and strength, there is no sense in doing something that you don't enjoy. Think about what sounds fun and seems doable. I'm all about enjoying the activity b/c guilt is not a good motivator for me. Doing things I enjoy means I'm not dragging myself to workout but trying to figure out how I can fit more in my schedule and get more energy to do *all* the cool stuff.

*I was multi-tasking while typing- I tried to edit to make it readable- hopefully it is coherent now!

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

I am 5'5" and 116 is my ideal working out weight. I am not small boned but I think my bones are hollow or something. I have no idea why I am this size. My absolute heaviest ever was 133... when pregnant. I promise you I was eating all I could keep down including protein shakes. I'm guessing OP is like me, bird-boned.

OP, I remove snacking completely when I want to lose weight and take evening walks. It sounds like at your weight, since it's not urgent, eliminating snacking and doing something else instead might work.

The 2-year-old was weaned about four months ago.  I think I got into the bad habit of constant eating and feeling like I needed a lot of calories because I was pregnant or nursing for about ten years straight and really did need the calories.  There was a scare when I was nursing #2 and I accidentally became alarmingly thin. I had my thyroid checked (it was fine), and some other tests -- and it just turned out I was so busy nursing caring for two children under the age of 2 that I wasn't eating enough.  That may have been when I started being very intentional about eating plenty of calories.  It is difficult now to make the shift to eating less.

• Like 2

I am 5'6 and my ideal weight is 125.  I am at 145 now and not happy at all.  I don't know if I will ever see 125 again since i am 50 now, but still I felt the best at 125.

The 2-year-old was weaned about four months ago.  I think I got into the bad habit of constant eating and feeling like I needed a lot of calories because I was pregnant or nursing for about ten years straight and really did need the calories.  There was a scare when I was nursing #2 and I accidentally became alarmingly thin. I had my thyroid checked (it was fine), and some other tests -- and it just turned out I was so busy nursing caring for two children under the age of 2 that I wasn't eating enough.  That may have been when I started being very intentional about eating plenty of calories.  It is difficult now to make the shift to eating less.

Fwiw Some of us just need more calories. I'm fairly active and 2400-2700 is normal for me- I just started tracking again and that has been my intake at maintenance level and that is with cutting back some on activity as I haven't felt the best. I had a day that I ran a 5k and Biked a 5k and ate 4k calories and was not overly full at any moment. I am hypothyroid too, my BP, pulse are below normal levels. So, just don't assume that you are big pig and that is the problem- if you have been maintaining and not gaining weight you are not overeating- you just aren't undereating either.

• Like 2

Fwiw Some of us just need more calories. I'm fairly active and 2400-2700 is normal for me- I just started tracking again and that has been my intake at maintenance level and that is with cutting back some on activity as I haven't felt the best. I had a day that I ran a 5k and Biked a 5k and ate 4k calories and was not overly full at any moment. I am hypothyroid too, my BP, pulse are below normal levels. So, just don't assume that you are big pig and that is the problem- if you have been maintaining and not gaining weight you are not overeating- you just aren't undereating either.

Thank you.  That is comforting.  I haven't really gained weight for a year or two, but have gained slowly over the course of ten years during my pregnancies.

Your comment reminded me of when I was a teenager and ate enormous amounts.  I was active with outdoor sports and cheerleading, but wasn't doing anything incredibly strenuous.  A certain boy I dated was just horrified at how much I ate, and did not hide his horror.  It really annoyed me (and led to me dropping him quickly), as I was a tiny little thing and felt I was just eating what I needed to eat -- which was no more than he ate.  

• Like 1

Thank you.  That is comforting.  I haven't really gained weight for a year or two, but have gained slowly over the course of ten years during my pregnancies.

Your comment reminded me of when I was a teenager and ate enormous amounts.  I was active with outdoor sports and cheerleading, but wasn't doing anything incredibly strenuous.  A certain boy I dated was just horrified at how much I ate, and did not hide his horror.  It really annoyed me (and led to me dropping him quickly), as I was a tiny little thing and felt I was just eating what I needed to eat -- which was no more than he ate.  

Yep. I remember being the classmate to eat the most pizza in highschool. I brought it up about how much I'm eating (and I'm measuring and everything) because I was guessing you were similar and if you need that much for maintenance trying to do one of these diets that are super low calorie will be a starvation diet. You might could drop the weight, if you could survive it, I can't. I may occasionally do a 1500 cal day(as my appetite isn't perfectly steady day by day) but that is low for me- when I tried to cut back to 1800 a day to lose weight I will drop it but I cannot stay at that level long before I'm binging. I have to watch it some time just journaling because I think, geez this is way too much and I end up not eating enough and am all tired and hangry. I'm not overweight either but I'd like to lose a few lbs(or rather a few inches- I can keep the lbs in muscle!) but I won't go hungry, hungry me is mean and doesn't have the energy for things I love. 

• Like 2

And I see there are bible chapters or chapter. Is this usable if one isn't Christian? Does it proselytize subtly or overtly?

I don't know anything about THM but I see in the 1 star reviews on Amazon several people saying that that it's a food combining program and similar to Suzanne Somers books.

basal metabolic rate decreases as we age though so pretty much every 5 years, I have to adjust calories down, regardless if I'm still doing the same amount of activity.

Keeping muscle mass up helps but I think most of us still have to adjust down each decade.

I'd do a journal for a week & weigh your food & write down what you eat. Tally up your calories to see how much you're actually consuming. Then just cut back by a desired amount. 8-10% is usually given a safe cutback and it probably wouldn't cause hunger or require drastic change in your eating habits. It would come down to portion control. 

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FPHN%2FPHN8_7a%2FS1368980005001321a.pdf&code=42f9e3744c1ea6180e7fa9d615b280fd

• Like 1

Another vote for Whole 30.  I never thought I'd make it through one day and I've done 3 of them in a row.  In addition to really cleaning up my eating, it has made me feel better than I have since I was in my 20s (I'm 45).  It has also taken away all cravings and I find myself nowhere near as hungry as I used to be.

• Like 4

Focus on finding activities that you enjoy.

-There are a ton of different ways to build endurance and strength, there is no sense in doing something that you don't enjoy. Think about what sounds fun and seems doable. I'm all about enjoying the activity b/c guilt is not a good motivator for me. Doing things I enjoy means I'm not dragging myself to workout but trying to figure out how I can fit more in my schedule and get more energy to do *all* the cool stuff.

:iagree:    Also, somehow get your dh on-board so that he can do some child-care while you get out and get active.  I didn't have to "sell" the exercising to my dh, as he could easily see how much better I could handle the kids, the housework, and life when I was getting out to my martial arts classes. Sometimes he even pushed me out the door when I was feeling tired. I always came home happier and feeling energized. 

Now that our dc are older, dh and I are playing tennis together and LOVING it!  It's no chore to pick up the racket and go smack balls around. I'd rather run around after fuzzy yellow balls than train for a marathon now! ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

:iagree:    Also, somehow get your dh on-board so that he can do some child-care while you get out and get active.  I didn't have to "sell" the exercising to my dh, as he could easily see how much better I could handle the kids, the housework, and life when I was getting out to my martial arts classes. Sometimes he even pushed me out the door when I was feeling tired. I always came home happier and feeling energized. 

Now that our dc are older, dh and I are playing tennis together and LOVING it!  It's no chore to pick up the racket and go smack balls around. I'd rather run around after fuzzy yellow balls than train for a marathon now! ;)

My dh is great about this too. I do some things on my own(yoga and silks class), some things as a family- daily hikes/walks, bodyweight work, etc, bigger weekend activities and some just the 2 of us- like kayaking, biking or more strenuous hikes. 

• Like 1

:iagree: I am a similar body type/size to OP, and I don't think I will ever get back to my pre baby weight and size. I'm close, but not quite. I weaned about 5 months ago and started exercising, but I think I'm actually going to have to go buy some different pants soon, because my current ones are getting too tight in some places. DH assures me I'm more toned and shapely :D

• Like 1

I don't want to discourage you, but the extra weight didn't come off for me until 2yrs after I stopped nursing.  I was eating really healthy, lowered my calorie count (from when I was nursing and pregnant), and exercised 5x a week  (combination of cardiovascular, strength training, and yoga.)  I was getting more fit but my body was not dropping the fat despite going strong at 2 years of doing this, and then I started to just drop weight.  At first I thought something was wrong so I went to the doctor but everything checked out okay.  I think my body had just been holding onto the "extra" because it was "expecting" to support another growing human.  My body finally caught up with my brain that I was done having kids.  I was more muscular but the fat was still there so I actually went up in a pant size.  Despite holding onto the weight, I felt so much better and had a lot of energy and my sleep was great.  Of course it wasn't until I gave in and bought the larger pants that I started to lose weight.  :)

• Like 1