Menu

Anyone not have the mental energy for DEEP books?

Ottakee

I love to read and it is my escape.

That said, I have seen some very good books come across my kindle list, I just don't have the mental energy for some of them.  Books about kids from very troubled backgrounds, deep thinking books, classics with higher level vocabulary.

I just don't have the energy to read those type books right now.  With 5 special needs teens in my house that have all come from traumatized backgrounds, I live it, but don't want to read about it.  Classics take too much focus and thinking.

Anyone else just like "mind candy" type stuff?  I don't want trash, but I want lighter reading type books that are easy to pick up and put down as often my reading is done in brief snatches while waiting for the kids, appointments, etc.

• Like 10

I read a ton of twaddle of varying types. Well written and interesting twaddle, but for a break and relaxation I don't usually want something deeper than a wading pool :rofl:

Edited by Arctic Mama

Some classics are way easier than others. I remember being impressed that Les Mis, for example, was a pretty easy read. The first few chapters are about the bishop, and are actually very entertaining, setting forth his character as a good man.

But I totally know what you mean.

When we were going thru the deep sh with ds, dd was just learning to read (and just starting chapter books). I consciously avoided giving her books that mirrored our situation. Reading was escape. Later, she picked up some heavier stuff, but some of the issue books were completely off the radar for us.

It's the same for me--when I'm feeling emotional, I don't want to dredge up every icky thing, and over-identifying with books seems to do that, so I keep it light.

I think that's fine.

• Like 2

I intermix heavier reading with lighter fare. Some categories I don't read at all, and in your situation "kids from very troubled backgrounds" would fit that category. Actually I would avoid those even in my situation! I do enjoy classics from time to time, or non-fiction that teaches me something, but often it's nice to just read for the entertaining plot line or a character I love.

I will read a heavier, more difficult book for every 3 or 4 light books. I seriously have trouble keeping mentally focused. This is why The Portrait of a Lady hasn't been touched in two months. I'm not even sure how difficult it really is; it just seemed too dense for my muddled, tired brain.

• Like 1

I read a ton of twaddle of varying types. Well written and interesting twaddle, but for a break and relaxation I don't usually want something deeper than a wading pool :rofl:

That explains it pretty well. I like well written books, just wading pool deep.

• Like 2

I find it depends on where I'm at too, when my thyroid is not doing well I'm doing good to read anything, when I'm feeling good I can handle it but sometimes I just want to read a good story that doesn't have some big message or meaning- something enjoyable that isn't too hard. At this point I'm just happy when I do read.

I have an infant, so much of my reading happens now from 1-330am and at 4:30am to God knows whatever time of the morning Oh my goodness is it morning? why is it morning?

Light but compelling is all I can handle right meow.

I usually have a couple of books going.  I get up early (4:45) and I read my Bible and then whatever "thinking" book I have going (Story of Science, Life Under Compulsion, Dyslexic Advantage, etc).  I usually read about 30 or so minutes.  The rest of the day is for the easy books. The two most recent fun books I finished are Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore and Animal Farm.  I think the next will be My Life in France.  I also typically have an Audible book going (right now, it's SWB's Ancient History).

I pick my a lot of my reading material with a few criteria:

- the book can't be a heavy hard cover, or it will wake me up when it hits the floor after I fall asleep reading it (or hit the dog in the head as he lays beside my bed) 

- the font can't be too small because I'm not going to use my reading glasses in bed

- the story has to be simple enough to find where I left off when I fell asleep

- the story can't be too depressing, silly, or annoying

- often the best books are old favorites I re-read because they are a pleasant pass-time

Also, I can't pick too many really excellent, can't-put-it-down books or I'll spend too much time reading and not get down to my daily work. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I've just accepted that this is not my season for deep books.  This is my season for being up at all hours with infants and chasing toddlers.  I'm not really using my brain at all, but it is tired all the same!  I do have hope that a season for deep books will return.

• Like 1

LOL, I just the other night teased dh that "When we were dating, your favorite author was Dostoevsky (really!!) , but now you read tween fantasy" (over and over) . . . He pointed out that when we were dating, he used to sleep 10 hr/night and had no kids and no responsibilities other than grad school (which was easy for him). He suggested that maybe he'd pick back up the classics when he retires. :) 

So, yes, I think it's a reasonable response to a stressful and demanding life. You need some brain candy. Enjoy it!

I've read more books this year than I have in a while, but it's all been crap. I enjoyed them, but they gave me nothing but passing entertainment. In order to read a decent book I'd need my world to slow up a bit. Right now I'm just not willing to give up the things that are occupying the growing part of my brain. I am learning, doing, and creating, but not where literature is concerned. I figure I'll have more time for that when I'm in a less physically active stage of life.

• Like 1

I generally read light fiction because it balances out the heavier non-fiction I am always reading. I just don't have the energy for intellectual fiction when I'm putting so much attention into whatever else I'm studying at the time. I'm energized by learning and study, as opposed to tv/movies which lower my energy if I'm already down, so it's important for my mental health that I be studying even when I'm exhausted (and I know tired...my second child didn't sleep for 2 years, and by then I was pregnant with number 3).

• Like 1

Glad I am not alone. I don't want to read trash or smut but just a nice light well written story.

Right now we are battling things in many fronts that I don't want to read about those things too. It can be too depressing.

It comes and goes in phases. I do read the mildly "deep" stuff intermixed with really light stuff. I mean fiction like All the Light We Cannot See is about as deep as I can go most of the time.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to high school the most. If the kids have to read it, I'll have no choice. Now, if I can just manage to get them there...

Dh is wearing one of those litographs t-shirts today - it's of Ulysses. Balletboy was like, "What book is that? Can I read it?" Dh laughed at him. I laughed at him. Then dh yanked it off the shelf to... I don't know what, exactly, but something silly, I'm sure, and before he could do it, we all died laughing because apparently years ago, dh stuck a sticker on it that says, "If you liked Harry Potter, try this!"  :lol: I love that dh hides jokes for us to find years later. He was like, "I don't even remember doing that."

• Like 3

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Y'all have made me feel much better. 

Seems like everyone I have talked to in the last few years only reads heavy/deep stuff or intellectual stuff.  If I mention reading twaddle they all frown and look at me like I am horrible. 

Oh well I can't help it.  Reading is my escape and down time.  It make me happy to read twaddle.  So mostly I don't mention what I am reading.   

Yes, I totally agree. When you have a demanding life / job, there is no need to read about more difficulties and trauma. My job is a high burn out job and to counteract this, I often read "gentle mysteries." I like mysteries in general but the years when I read Patricia Cornwell are over and I really cannot say I miss it much. Her books are suspenseful and usually well researched on the technical details but they did not leave me wanting to read more - rather wanting to take a break.  :) A classic (depending on the definition) is a different book to me. I can re-read classics like Dorothy L. Sayers, Lucy Maud Montgomery and Jane Austen and never feel drained. :) Some classics like War & Peace and Anna Karenina are too much for me right now. Perhaps if or when I retire....

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

I read so much 'heavy' stuff and academic stuff that often I'll read for Stephanie Plum novels and get lost in them :) It goes in phases though. I just devoured Robert McCammon's  Sings The Nightbird and have started on teh sequel, Queen of Bedlam. They aren't especially heavy but they are both looooong - like 800 and 700 pages respectively - but great stories.

Same here, but I have a really hard time finding well written books that are not impossible to read as well. Any recommendations? Something like Water for Elephants, A tree grows in Brooklyn, which were the only recent books I've read that did not make feel like I was doing homework. Oh, I generally do well with stuff published by Europa, so all the Elena Ferrante books, and most Booker Prize winners.

I am reading The Name Of the Rose now as homework for self. Only a few pages at a time. The fact that it was an international bestseller makes me feel so very subpar. Is it the translation? Should I try it in Italian. *digs deep for excuses*

I have to say that I am glad we still do read alouds. I'm loving Sherlock Holmes and not sure what we will do next.

Edited by madteaparty