Menu

If you didn't know how old you really were, how old would you be?

If you didn't know your real age, how old would you be?

I love this question!

When I interview a new patient with dementia, I ask them how old they are (among other things!) - just to see if they know. Most often, they don't remember at all, and then I'll ask, "Well, how old do you feel?"

It makes me very happy that most of the time (I'd say at least 80% of the time), they say they're 16, or 22, or 25. It's rarely much older than that. I just think that's such a sort of relieving piece of info, because we (on the "outside") are thinking how awful it is to have dementia, be frail, or arthritic, etc., yet despite those limitations, these folks FEEL so much younger. It's a nice disconnect in the midst of some really awful disconnects (e.g., not knowing family members).

I'm always shocked that I'm NOT 25.

I love this question!

When I interview a new patient with dementia, I ask them how old they are (among other things!) - just to see if they know. Most often, they don't remember at all, and then I'll ask, "Well, how old do you feel?"

It makes me very happy that most of the time (I'd say at least 80% of the time), they say they're 16, or 22, or 25. It's rarely much older than that. I just think that's such a sort of relieving piece of info, because we (on the "outside") are thinking how awful it is to have dementia, be frail, or arthritic, etc., yet despite those limitations, these folks FEEL so much younger. It's a nice disconnect in the midst of some really awful disconnects (e.g., not knowing family members).

This is such a lovely post! I agree, with a grandmother and great-grandmother who both died of alzheimer's, and a mother who is starting to go through it, it is comforting and wonderful to hear this. Thank you for posting it. :001_smile:

I love this question!

I love this question, too! Grace, my grandma was like some of your patients. She was horrified to learn her real age - she was sure she was 16! And, I was glad for her because it made her happy.

Me? I feel maybe 25-30, but smarter :lol:. My booKs, butt and stomach tell me otherwise, but I feel MUCH younger than I am. The mirror is a constant surprise.

Depending on the day, anywhere from 16-22.

Physically, I feel my age. Ugh. But mentally? I'm still a teenager. I still feel like I don't know how to get to know my neighbors, because THEY are adults.

It's odd that as I approach 40 (what? who said that?) I am just now slowly, slowly, finally, beginning to feel the confidence of an "adult" in some areas. Funny, isn't it?

This is such a lovely post! I agree, with a grandmother and great-grandmother who both died of alzheimer's, and a mother who is starting to go through it, it is comforting and wonderful to hear this. Thank you for posting it. :001_smile:

:iagree:. My granny died just last year and it was very humbling to witness her journey.

You would be the age you truly are regardless of your orientation as to time or space or the condition of your mind, body, or spirit. Age is a uniform standard measure of length of time that has lapsed since birth. Thus, a senile 90 year old woman who wholeheartedly believes she is a 17 year old prom queen is indeed 90 years old.

I once read in a national news magazine that an overwhelming majority of baby boomers insist they appear younger than they are. But an individual grows accustomed to the gradual changes brought on by aging because they see themselves daily in mirror. Frankly I find it sad when people feel need to add qualifiers like, "I'm a young 50." Surely a positive attitude and beign engaged in life contribute to one's overall happiness. Such people consistenly defy cultural expectations of certain age benchmarks. But chronological age is a measurement of time lapsed, nothing more, nothing less. Tis not a mutable thing.

I've always wondered if, in cultures where elderly are revered for their wisdom, does the younger set use cosmetic techniques to appear older? Do they say things like, "I'm a wise, leathery 30."

Edited by tibbyl

Until about five years ago I always felt younger than I was and was always surprised by my image in a mirror. Now that I am pushing 46 I physically feel about 40-42 most days and mentally I think I am quicker than I was in my twenties and thirties. Spiritually I feel about my age. I like life in my 40's for the most part. There are those days when I feel about 80 though!

I love this question!

Beautiful insight into the world of dementia.

Hmmm.. I'm 31, but I feel 22. The other day dh (who's going to be 30 in late October) and I were talking about how it feels like we're playing house instead of really having kids and a house entrusted to us :tongue_smilie:

Many times I feel so immature, and undisciplined.. Kids pick up on that. I remember playing with some kids my son's age (then 3) and they would listen to all the adults but me, and the moms telling them that I was ds' mom and "a mom too" and the kids were incredulous. She's a mom? :lol:

I swear I'm constantly asking myself -- are kids supposed to be allowed to do that? Is it OK? Sometimes I have to go and ask an adult :lol:

I look ten years younger than 31 to most people too :)

Edited by sagira

You would be the age you truly are regardless of your orientation as to time or space or the condition of your mind, body, or spirit. Age is a uniform standard measure of length of time that has lapsed since birth. Thus, a senile 90 year old woman who wholeheartedly believes she is a 17 year old prom queen is indeed 90 years old.

I once read in a national news magazine that an overwhelming majority of baby boomers insist they appear younger than they are. But an individual grows accustomed to the gradual changes brought on by aging because they see themselves daily in mirror. Frankly I find it sad when people feel need to add qualifiers like, "I'm a young 50." Surely a positive attitude and beign engaged in life contribute to one's overall happiness. Such people consistenly defy cultural expectations of certain age benchmarks. But chronological age is a measurement of time lapsed, nothing more, nothing less. Tis not a mutable thing.

I've always wondered if, in cultures where elderly are revered for their wisdom, does the younger set use cosmetic techniques to appear older? Do they say things like, "I'm a wise, leathery 30."

You know, I don't agree with this b/c there is a difference in how people behave and how it affects all aspects of life.

For example, my dh's parents are very young. They were only 37/38 when we got married. But goodness, they acted so old. They were completely inactive, never went out, never laughed or got silly. I always thought of them as so much older than they were. Even now in their mid-60s, they act ancient.

Conversely, my parents were 55/56 when we got married. They loved to dance, work in the yard, go for long boat rides, play cards, laugh. They were always on the go and active. Until they both died in their late 70s, they never stopped living. Yes, they were young 70s b/c they didn't sit around doing nothing.

I look at it from where we are in our lives now. I'm 42. I absolutely cannot imagine sitting around like I was old. I took the kids to Sam's the other day and as we were pushing out our carts and the woman took the receipt from my 6 yr old, she looked at me and asked, where is their mother?? I laughed and thanked her.

Is it boastful to look and act younger than your age? Unless it is the Hollywood version, I think it is more of a reflection of attitude and activity than anything else.

It's not denying age in yrs. But it is a real phenomenon that all people in an age group are not equal.

You know, I don't agree with this b/c there is a difference in how people behave and how it affects all aspects of life.

Is it boastful to look and act younger than your age? Unless it is the Hollywood version, I think it is more of a reflection of attitude and activity than anything else.

It's not denying age in yrs. But it is a real phenomenon that all people in an age group are not equal.

I agree with this completely. As I said before, when I was heavier and my back was bad, and I've had bad knees since spending 7 months on full bed rest during my pregnancy, I felt between 60 and 80, even though I was 35 to 40. I would groan when I got up, and I swear my body creaked in places. Now, for the first time in years, I am active, and I feel young! Younger than I did ten years ago, when I was still active, but not this much!

Age really is a state of mind--and I thank goodness for that. How sad it would be to be confined by our bodies, and thank goodness we have our imaginations and wonderful minds, that can take us so much farther than our physical states can ever reach!!! :D

Honestly, I feel very old. My retired neighbors act younger than I do. I think that I have aged 10-15 years in the last three years. I can't wait until I feel 16 again. I think that I was actually 12 when I felt 16 and I felt about 23 when I was 16. So feeling younder would be a new experience for me. I hope I like it. :)

Physically, I feel my age. Ugh. But mentally? I'm still a teenager. I still feel like I don't know how to get to know my neighbors, because THEY are adults.

It's odd that as I approach 40 (what? who said that?) I am just now slowly, slowly, finally, beginning to feel the confidence of an "adult" in some areas. Funny, isn't it?

I know exactly what you mean. I am in my 30s and dh and I both feel young and don't feel like we're '"grown ups" in the way we had always imagined grown ups to be as we were growing up. We pay our bills, make lots of grown up decisions, are responsible parents, (and I had my first young so have had a lot of responsibilty from a young age) and yet, I still feel so young.

I love being 40. I love my life. I have an amazing husband, great kids. I run, which I never thought I'd ever do. I've learned to cook better and try new recipes, crochet, write in MLA format(LOL), I speak up for myself, I am no longer a door mat for people to trample over. I take some interesting college classes. It really does not bother me being 40. So, I'd say I choose to be 40.

This is me, word for word.

Hmmm.. I'm 31, but I feel 22. The other day dh (who's going to be 30 in late October) and I were talking about how it feels like we're playing house instead of really having kids and a house entrusted to us :tongue_smilie:

Many times I feel so immature, and undisciplined.. Kids pick up on that. I remember playing with some kids my son's age (then 3) and they would listen to all the adults but me, and the moms telling them that I was ds' mom and "a mom too" and the kids were incredulous. She's a mom? :lol:

I swear I'm constantly asking myself -- are kids supposed to be allowed to do that? Is it OK? Sometimes I have to go and ask an adult :lol:

I look ten years younger than 31 to most people too :)

Me too, except I'm 39, and starting to look it. :lol: I was very often mistaken for someone much younger 10 years ago, though.

It's funny - as a child I thought (and was told by adults whom I trusted) that I was wise beyond my years. I *felt* 40 at 9 years old. Now that I'm almost 40, I don't feel much older than the children sitting around my dinner table. :001_huh: Wha happened? :lol:

I'll be 40 in a month or so, but I feel like I'm 29 to 32. My dh says I look like I'm in my late 20's and early 30's, but I think that's husband language for "I don't want to be in trouble for saying the wrong thing."

But I take my vitamins and I love learning and one day I'll be running again. Basically, I love life.

Kimber

Age is definitely a state of mind. My parents are in their 50's now and constantly say how old they are. They have completely written themselves off and won't try new things or learn new things. They believe their opinions don't count because they're too "old." I do worry about them. My grandparents all lived into their 80's and 90's. I'm appalled that my parents seem to be content to be "old" for the next 30-40 years of their lives, if they follow the family tradition of living to be very old.

Every single time I talk to them, they make comments about how old they are and can't do this and that. So sad.

Edited by Garga_