Menu

Would you purchase a car that did not have a/c?

My dh is looking for a used car and found a car he's been wanting but would not otherwise be able to afford... but it has no a/c.

We live in NC, it gets hot in the summer. I don't hardly ever go anywhere so I'm in a car perhaps 1 or 2 hours per week, maximum. Dh and/or dd would be in this car daily commuting to work or college. We rarely travel out of town.

Would you go for it?

Edited by BritAnnia

My poor little babies... I had to keep their car seats in the air-conditioned house, because they would just be too hot if they stayed in the car. I'd bring baby and seat to the car each time. We always rode with the windows down from March to November!

It was all I could afford at the time, and I thought it was a great little car.

If it's the only way you can get a good car for the money you have, absolutely go for it.

Help! He's driving me insane with not knowing if he should get it. I just told him he's too unsure, let it go. Now he's thinking that means he should get it. *sigh*

We actually went through two a/c-less cars when we were first married and I can't believe I've forgotten how it felt! I must have blocked the trauma of it from my memory. Me, a Brit, growing up in a country where 75* is hot! land myself in the Southern USA for years our cars have no a/c, and we were living in a house with no a/c either. Nope, no memory of it, all blocked :D

My dh is looking for a used car and found a car he's been wanting but would not otherwise be able to afford... but it has no a/c.

We live in NC, it gets hot in the summer. I don't hardly ever go anywhere so I'm in a car perhaps 1 or 2 hours per week, maximum. Dh and/or dd would be in this car daily commuting to work or college. We rarely drive travel out of town.

Would you go for it?

No. We have had to drive cars without A/C out of necessity at times, but I would not knowingly buy a car with no A/C if there were other options. It is not at all pleasant.

That depends on the job he has --will it look bad for him to show up to work sweaty and sticky? That would be a death-knell for many office jobs.

Or if it's a short commute --maybe.

BUT --and here's the clincher-- how well-maintained is the car otherwise?

A car w/ no AC is typically fitting the stereotype of a car that has been terribly maintained. I wonder how much more it will cost you in repairs w/in the year. Spend the money on lemonbusters or something similar before buying it.

I would by a car w/ no AC if it was in otherwise great condition. we grew up w/ one like that in San Antonio, and i'd still do that here in Dallas if I had to. There are plenty of ways to compensate, esp if you only go short distances.

but we wouldn't CHOOSE to do it now. Of course, if it means not being able to afford a car otherwise, then it might not be a choice.

On my first date with dh -- in JULY on the Gulf Coast -- he apologized for not having ac when he picked me up. I thought he was SO sweet. I didn't notice the heat back then. Must have been love . . . :) Of course, I wasn't in my 40s and my internal temps were better regulated then, too.

I can see that I'm terribly outnumbered here and I don't live in the south, but I'll bite anyway...

I never consider AC when buying a car. I look at dependability, fuel efficiency, and "fun to drive." We usually end up with Volvos or VW's. We have bought a couple of cars where we never even tested the A/C for a year or two, until someone riding with us asked if it works.....

So I would say, if your husband likes the car, go for it. ;)

Suzanne.

That depends on the job he has --will it look bad for him to show up to work sweaty and sticky? That would be a death-knell for many office jobs.

Or if it's a short commute --maybe.

BUT --and here's the clincher-- how well-maintained is the car otherwise?

A car w/ no AC is typically fitting the stereotype of a car that has been terribly maintained. I wonder how much more it will cost you in repairs w/in the year. Spend the money on lemonbusters or something similar before buying it.

I would by a car w/ no AC if it was in otherwise great condition. we grew up w/ one like that in San Antonio, and i'd still do that here in Dallas if I had to. There are plenty of ways to compensate, esp if you only go short distances.

Good points here.

Also, if you are only going to be in it a few hours a week, will that be in the heat of the afternoon? I lived in Ashville and wouldn't consider a car with no a/c there.

Will this be your only vehicle? We drive 30 min to the grocery store and couldn't bring home meat in the summer if we didn't have a/c. Oh, I would be cranky without a/c in the car!

Up until the other day, we've never had a vehicle that had air conditioning (just bought a '99 Dodge caravan and it has it - it's the newest vehicle we've ever had) ....but then, I live on the east coast of Canada and a "really hot summer day" is about 30C (86F) .....but now that I *have* a/c, I don't even know if I'll use it...tried it out yesterday and brrrrrr! :001_huh:

We live in NC, it gets hot in the summer. I don't hardly ever go anywhere so I'm in a car perhaps 1 or 2 hours per week, maximum. Dh and/or dd would be in this car daily commuting to work or college. We rarely travel out of town.

Would you go for it?

I'm nearly 40. My answer? Not just no. (He** no.) BTDT, when I was in my teens and 20s.

But for your DD, well, it would certainly test her mettle. Your DH might arrive a bit moist to meetings, however....

I have not had a car with AC since I was in college. First two didn't have it and in my current one it's broken, and is not worth fixing (ac tubing just re-freezes and busts each winter). It's really only bad for about six weeks here in Hotlanta. Last summer was the worst in many years, and this one was the coolest for as long as I can remember. I know NC is even more humid than Atl, so I'm not sure. The real question is how well you all do in the heat. I've lived in Atl since I was 13. I'm just really used to it and love fresh air. So, as long as I'm not sitting in rush hour traffic for more than an hour, and my fan is working; the girls and I are fine.

We bought a Dodge Caravan several years ago that had no A/C. We paid my uncle, a mechanic, to fix it though. Sure, I COULD drive a car with no A/C, but I would rather give up anything aside from food to afford A/C. I get so very hot.

Even if that meant no date nights, no cable (which we don't have anyway), no spontaneous purchases, and no junk food/snacks.

It depends if you have $1000 to put A/C in. I would try to get a blue book and see what the value is without the A/C and see if the price is really right.

If I were in your case it would be no unless the vehicle is very very very cheap (under $1500).

Currently our van a/c is broke. We are getting it fixed next spring. I will have to tell you that it is awful to drive with no a/c. It hasn't been bad though but just sweaty sitting in a traffic that is slow moving.

Holly

We drive 30 min to the grocery store and couldn't bring home meat in the summer if we didn't have a/c. Oh, I would be cranky without a/c in the car!

well, you could if you took a cooler along ;)

we have a spot in our van/car for a cooler --we keep frozen water bottles and a frozen gallon of water in there for playground times

and ice cream/frozen foods.

and ice packs for playground injuries :D

But, would I purchase a new(er) car without it? Probably not. Or, I'd be investigating how much it would cost to fix or install it later, if I did go ahead with the purchase.

Peek-a-Boo makes good points. Dh is a fine woodworker, so he does not need to worry about being sweaty - he wears shorts and t-shirts to work in summer. At this point in my life, having no air conditioning is not a hindrance for me, job wise. I work from home.

Time was that few people had air conditioning, in their cars or homes. We are living with years of acculturation, now, and an expectation that a/c is mandatory. It's not. One can live, successfully, without it. But, you have to accept that it will be hot and work with that in whatever way you must.

Time was that few people had air conditioning, in their cars or homes. We are living with years of acculturation, now, and an expectation that a/c is mandatory. It's not. One can live, successfully, without it. But, you have to accept that it will be hot and work with that in whatever way you must.

I agree, but there also was a time when indoor heating consisted of a fire in the middle of a house as well. A time when women washed laundry by hand. A time when there was no indoor plumbing. A time when every food was made from scratch. A time when there was no refrigeration. A time when insect-infested bedding was commonplace.

And -- most of the modern conveniences which save us from much of this are also treated as mandatory.

I've met people who are so opposed to using the air conditioner, but as soon as it's 60 degrees outside, the heat is set to 80 degrees in their house. (my inlaws)

I for one am so thankful for modern conveniences! :D