Menu

Does "The Biggest Loser" appeal to you? Maybe it shouldn't.

Carol in Cal.

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/health-on-the-small-screen/brutal-secrets-biggest-loser/

"I want to say this, and as you read the remainder of these excerpts, I want you to keep in mind that this is why I talk about not coming into your weight loss journey from a place of desperation. Oftentimes, we let our desperation compel us to compromise our mental and physical well being, because all we can see is that our ultimate goal now seems more possible. I once discussed this on Twitter, where another reader reminded me that, for many, desperation can lead to motivation. But my question remains: motivation to do what? To engage in things that carry great risk?"

• Like 1

I agree with everything she said. I am not overweight, I exercise regularly (so I'm not reacting personally to this)  - and I would NEVER participate in any kind of program like the Biggest Loser program. It's really clear that it is incredibly unhealthy for all of their contestants, just more abuse for their bodies. It's like a weight loss gladiator battle. :thumbdown:

• Like 3

I didn't read your link. It has never appealed to me, and just my general impression is it's unrealistic - after all, they're putting on a show to get ratings.

I did once buy a tbl yoga dvd (I wanted some variety) .. . it was pure garbage. the person leading the practice was NOT a yoga person (let alone a yogi), they were doing positions wrong. among other things, they were relying upon momentum. seriously????? how fast can you change poses???? (there's one yoga style out there that will hold a *single* pose for as much as five minutes. in the practice all poses are held for five minutes.) Yoga isn't calesthenics!

I tossed it in the trash. it wasn't even worth sending to goodwill.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

It does not appeal to me.  For one thing it is not very realistic.  Most people can't spend morning, noon, and night focused on weight loss.  Most people can't lose weight that quickly, and probably shouldn't.

And that woman on there?  She grates on me severely.  She always looks angry. 

• Like 1

It does not appeal to me. For one thing it is not very realistic. Most people can't spend morning, noon, and night focused on weight loss. Most people can't lose weight that quickly, and probably shouldn't.

And that woman on there? She grates on me severely. She always looks angry.

Control issues? Gets off on controlling vulnerable people?

I don't like her either. She does seem to like press and shows up other places.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Control issues? Gets off on controlling vulnerable people?

I don't like her either. She does seem to like press and shows up other places.

Yeah I don't know if her face is just angry looking by nature or if she is actually always angry.

I guess I'd be angry too if I spent all day exercising and micromanaging my diet.  :lol:

I agree totally. It's shaming. It's a circus side show. And it's very very unhealthy. That more people don't end up injured shocks me. I bet we just don't hear about it. I remember watching and one poor man kept vomiting from working out so hard, and he was still shamed for not trying hard enough!

And yes,  I got their yoga video too and it was total crap and somewhat dangerous. 

• Like 2

I can't figure out how those people even survive the first week.  They work out so hard that you'd think there would be a ton of injuries or even heart issues.  I'm guessing they eat a really low calorie diet also so how do they even have the energy to keep going??  

We watched a few episodes when it first came on but the shaming was awful.  I can only guess what it's like now. 

• Like 2

I used to watch it. Then they had the season where the woman basically starved herself to win the $. The live finale was shocking, and you could tell it was the end for some people connected to it--that's when Allison and Jillian left, I think.

I like Bob Harper's books, because he does talk about some of the psychology of addiction, but they aren't really that healthy, IMO.

I'm glad it was cancelled.

I've read a few articles about it. Nothing good. The way the contestants are treated is reprehensible. But they sign up for it. But then they're in this high pressure kind of brain washy situation...

Plus I think that show just leads more people to characterize fat people as being lazy slobs. If we were really willing to work hard, we could lose like them right? 

I enjoy the show and find in inspiring - ok you can all hate me now. I didn't watch the show for a long time just because of the name. I think the worst of the show may have been in the early years when Jillian was a trainer. Jillian left the show, came back for a season where she totally destroyed her team and left again. She has been gone for several seasons. 2016 was the first season without Allie. The current trainers are Dolvett and Jen. Jen is syrupy sweet and all about encouragement. Dolvett is the loud yelling type, but I don't see the shaming.

The stuff from that interview (which I'd seen before) sounds nothing like what is on tv now. Some contestants do lose too much weight. Everyone loses weight too fast (or they get sent home). I wouldn't say it is a model of health, but it is a model of taking control and making changes. At least that is what they show. I don't know what really happens, but I know the only local contestant we've ever had has kept off most of her weight and the show was a positive turning point for her.

• Like 6

What I find so insidious about it is that it pushes the bogus idea that losing weight is a panacea for all mental health, personal growth and happiness issues. The truth is that your problems don't vanish with the pounds. People can be happy and confident and self loving and also be overweight. If you are miserable, losing weight probably won't make the misery vanish. Exercise can seriously help with depression but losing weight doesn't magically make someone happy.

• Like 9

What I find so insidious about it is that it pushes the bogus idea that losing weight is a panacea for all mental health, personal growth and happiness issues. The truth is that your problems don't vanish with the pounds. People can be happy and confident and self loving and also be overweight. If you are miserable, losing weight probably won't make the misery vanish. Exercise can seriously help with depression but losing weight doesn't magically make someone happy.

But they don't do this at all. They constantly tell the contestants unless they deal with their mental issues they will never keep the weight off. They are told to work out their problems and issues so that they can be mentally healthy so the weight loss will stay.

• Like 1

But they don't do this at all. They constantly tell the contestants unless they deal with their mental issues they will never keep the weight off. They are told to work out their problems and issues so that they can be mentally healthy so the weight loss will stay.

Yes, but this assumes they have "mental issues."

• Like 3

I can't figure out how those people even survive the first week.  They work out so hard that you'd think there would be a ton of injuries or even heart issues.  I'm guessing they eat a really low calorie diet also so how do they even have the energy to keep going??  

We watched a few episodes when it first came on but the shaming was awful.  I can only guess what it's like now. 

I wonder the same thing.  I've overdone exercise and woke up so sore I could barely manage stairs.  And I've never done THAT much in such a short amount of time.

• Like 2

I agree totally. It's shaming. It's a circus side show. And it's very very unhealthy. That more people don't end up injured shocks me. I bet we just don't hear about it. I remember watching and one poor man kept vomiting from working out so hard, and he was still shamed for not trying hard enough!

And yes,  I got their yoga video too and it was total crap and somewhat dangerous. 

I only watched the carp part - but then I didn't watch much before pulling it out of the dvd player.  I hate to think it got worse, but sadly I can believe that.

Oh gosh I knew someone who was thinking about going on that show, and then she looked into it. Turns out it's actually really horrible in every single possible way. Besides the fact that it's incredibly shaming, it's also a total lie--the amount lost per "week" is simply impossible. If I had to (got to?) ban reality TV shows, the ones with children would go first and that would be next.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

But they don't do this at all. They constantly tell the contestants unless they deal with their mental issues they will never keep the weight off. They are told to work out their problems and issues so that they can be mentally healthy so the weight loss will stay.[/]

We have to agree to disagree. I've watched more than a few episodes. The language is often incredibly negative and tied to the idea that being thin will will make the contestant a "whole new person" or that "then they will really be able to start their life". Uh, no. My mom was the same person no matter her weight fluctuations. I am the same awesome and flawed person no matter what the scale says. I lived my life unfit and thin, fit and thin, unfit and heavy, fit and heavy. If one is waiting for their life to start and making that contingent on their size, that is deeply dysfunctional.

The bit of your post I bolded is exactly what I am talking about...people can be mentally healthy and mentally unhealthy at all sizes. Regaining the weight post Biggest Loser may or may not have anything to do with mental health. In the immediate wake of the show, regaining weight is probably more about eating a regular diet and drinking enough water- the show and trainers are known to encourage dehydration to get an edge on the scale. The idea that being heavy is in and of itself a mental condition is repugnant to me. While that is not explicitly stated it is implicit in the language used.

In the finale episodes I have seen, the finalists use gestures to mock, belittle or act disgusted by a digitally projected "before" picture of themselves.

More than 1/2 of the contestants go on to regain a significant amount of weight.

Note that this sort of attitude about weight loss is hardly exclusive to the Biggest Loser.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 7

I wonder the same thing.  I've overdone exercise and woke up so sore I could barely manage stairs.  And I've never done THAT much in such a short amount of time.

I've overdone exercise and started having breathing difficulties - even when I wasn't exercising.  I was exercising too hard for my fitness level.

this is about rating and making money for the producers/sponsers (just like duggers) - not helping people. (as displayed by many who regain weight after leaving the show.)

• Like 2

Aside from what has already been mentioned, one of my beefs is blatant sponsorship. It was like watching a 1950s soap opera commercial. From Yoplait lite to sugar-free Jello to Wrigley's extra sugar-free chewing gum... How about teaching America what simple, good, healthy, real, and nutritious foods look like instead of chemical, food science crap?

• Like 3

I once had a trainer who thought it was good that I felt like puking during one particularly grueling workout.  And then I no longer had that trainer.  :tongue_smilie:

There are a million things I hate about BL, and all the puking is just one of them.  You can't work out and restrict calories to beat other bodies.  Competing against other people over tending to your own needs is plain insane.  Needing a medic on site 24/7 should be a good indicator of how insane it is. 

• Like 5

Which is a whole other can of worms. The assumption that fat people are fat because they have "mental issues" more than thin people drives me nuts. They have a biology problem, most of the time, not a psychological problem. 

• Like 8

The article made me a bit wary about the axe the person has to grind with the show.  The first things mentioned, that is smart television.  You don't give away who is going to be on the show or their status before the show airs.  Keeping them away from the public eye makes for smart production choices.

Some of it was a bit woe-is-me without taking responsibility for personal choices.  One person CHOSE to stay at the ranch knowing his child was in the ICU.  I would compare it to military deployments, except the person made a conscious decision that his time there was worth more than being by their child's bedside instead of not being able to come home at all. 

BL is over the top.  I don't like the unhealthy foods they advertise or the training schedule.  That said, there's a bit of trying to make it sound worse than it is in that article and I'd take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/health-on-the-small-screen/brutal-secrets-biggest-loser/

"I want to say this, and as you read the remainder of these excerpts, I want you to keep in mind that this is why I talk about not coming into your weight loss journey from a place of desperation. Oftentimes, we let our desperation compel us to compromise our mental and physical well being, because all we can see is that our ultimate goal now seems more possible. I once discussed this on Twitter, where another reader reminded me that, for many, desperation can lead to motivation. But my question remains: motivation to do what? To engage in things that carry great risk?"

I'm not sure that blog post is accurate.

I am distantly related to a recent winner of BL, so I saw the other side during "his" season. I don't believe they have to eat processed food anymore. Though they don't show that on-air because they need money from the sponsors. He spoke highly of some of the trainers, and felt that some of them gave them exactly what he needed when he needed it (others he just didn't hit it off with). He has put on some weight since the show ended, but only a bit. He himself said that the "ranch" was an artificial environment and he is more than happy with his "real" weight in the real world. He went on the show because he was ready to do a "boot camp" to get fit, and would have been doing a major overhaul of his lifestyle even if he didn't get on the show (his family did a mini boot-camp of their own while he was away). But at least on the show it was possible for him to get some cool cash for his family while he was at it.

I personally think it is a weird show, and way open to abuse. And I couldn't stand that Jill person either (I was pleasantly surprised that she wasn't around during my distant relation's season, I couldn't have been able to watch it at all). In general I dislike reality tv and how it focuses on extremes. But now that I know more about the BL I don't hate it so much. At least for one winner it seems to have been physically and psychologically positive, so there's that.

• Like 5

The article made me a bit wary about the axe the person has to grind with the show.  The first things mentioned, that is smart television.  You don't give away who is going to be on the show or their status before the show airs.  Keeping them away from the public eye makes for smart production choices.

Some of it was a bit woe-is-me without taking responsibility for personal choices.  One person CHOSE to stay at the ranch knowing his child was in the ICU.  I would compare it to military deployments, except the person made a conscious decision that his time there was worth more than being by their child's bedside instead of not being able to come home at all. 

BL is over the top.  I don't like the unhealthy foods they advertise or the training schedule.  That said, there's a bit of trying to make it sound worse than it is in that article and I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I didn't understand the blog complaining about secrecy either. That's true of nearly every taped reality TV show. What good is the show if the winner is going to blab about winning before the first episode airs?

My relative was so glad when the last episode of the season aired and she could finally blab on FB all she wanted. It was funny though - after the episode where the family is brought in people mentioned some things about what she did to her on FB and she was like "haha, I'd forgotten all about that, can't believe they bothered to show it!" It was like she lived in a time warp for a few months. 

• Like 2

Haven't watched this. Or Hoarders. Or Intervention. Or Celebrity Rehab. Or anything that is supposed to make a person healthier by being on reality tv.

Survivor, I like.   It is flat-out "let's all scheme and sneak while being reeeeeeaaaalllly hungry and exhausted for a month  because we all want a million dollars and to be on TV".  That is honest entertainment.

• Like 4

I used to like it because I enjoy bootcamp style craziness (I'm former military).  But I just could not handle the food they ate.  Processed carbs!  Low fat!  Yeah... I thought weight loss science had moved out of the 90s?  

This can't be seen as a show about learning to be healthy.  It's a show about winning a ton of money by doing whatever crazy thing it takes to drop weight.  My dad and his co-workers once put together a pool to see who could lose the most weight.  My dad won, easily, because he's willing to go to crazy extremes, not because he learned how to be healthy.  

Anyway, I don't watch it anymore because I ultimately just got disgusted with reality tv pretending to be anything other than a dehumanizing circus show.   

• Like 2

Aside from what has already been mentioned, one of my beefs is blatant sponsorship. It was like watching a 1950s soap opera commercial. From Yoplait lite to sugar-free Jello to Wrigley's extra sugar-free chewing gum... How about teaching America what simple, good, healthy, real, and nutritious foods look like instead of chemical, food science crap?

but but but  . . where's the profit in that?

• Like 1

Yes, but this assumes they have "mental issues."

If they didn't have serious emotional issues, they wouldn't make the cast of BL. They are looking for drama after all. That doesn't mean everyone who is overweight has serious emotional issues, but the pp had said BL treats weight loss as a panacea, not addressing mental issues. My comment was in response to her.

• Like 1