Menu

Apple Cider Vinegar Cures Celiac!

Butter

My kid was "cured" of autism by gluten free/casein free. Or so I am told.

When he was a baby he had severe reflux, which caused damage to his upper airway, and recurrent aspiration pneumonia. His adoption social worker insisted I had to take him to this nutritionist who had helped your son. I called, mainly because I didn't want to rock the boat with the person who got to decide whether he stayed with me.

All she had available was a phone consultation, which went something like this:

Her: You need to go gluten free and casein free, it's been shown to cure all autism symptoms.

Me: That's great, but he doesn't have autism symptoms. He has recurrent pneumonia, asthma, and reflux.

Her: Recurrent ear infections can be a symptom of autism. There are studies. The fact that he has recurrent ear infections means that he probably has autism.

Me: He's had 1 ear infection in 12 months. I thought that was pretty average.

Her: He's probably had more, kids with autism don't express pain, so their ear infections go undiagnosed.

Me: We're at the doctor once a week for something, they all check his ears. I'm doing thing he has recurrent undiagnosed ear infections. He's got asthma, reflux, and pneumonias.

Her: Well, he probably has a family history of ear infections. How many ear infections have you had?

Me: A few, but he's adopted. There is nothing in his file that would tell me if his birth mom had ear infections.

Her: Oh, well if he's adopted it's certainly autism. I mean his mother gave him. See, no empathy? That's an autism symptom. And she probably had ear infections . . . .

. . .

She finally gave up on the ear infections and moved to the fact that he didn't talk, because not talking is a symptom of autism. I conceded that sometimes it can be, but in his case I thought it was a symptom of being 11 months old. She told me that until kids can talk, particularly kids with ear infections you shouldn't rule out autism, because it's probably there.

. . .

A few months later we had a follow up conversation. I reported that the diet she prescribed had caused projectile vomiting, so we had stopped after 3 days, and that he had started talking, had no more ear infections, and had no symptoms of autism. She pronounced him "cured".

So, any of you who have babies who don't talk, who either do or don't have ear infections, I highly recommend you get them cured of autism.

I feel slightly guilty for laughing uproariously at this. Guilty because I think I ought to be feeling bad for all the people who consulted with this person over the years.

• Like 2

Here ya go:

http://wellnessfort.com/oncologists-dont-like-baking-soda-cancer-treatment-because-its-too-effective-and-too-cheap/

A little light on what the possible scientific mechanism could be. Because oncologists don't like it, that should be proof enough, right?!?

So it is an alkalinity thing. I found this quote from a press release on the University of AZ website (bolding mine): https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/grant-to-fuel-baking-soda-cancer-therapy-research

"Patients can actually change their body's pH to make their cancer drugs more effective Ă¢â‚¬â€œ it can be as simple as drinking baking soda Ă¢â‚¬â€œ but this process has to be carefully monitored."

I'm a big believer in "integrative" medicine that combines allopathic and naturopathic treatments. I'm glad that forward-thinking scientists at places like University of AZ and U.C. San Francisco are doing legitimate research on integrative medicine. But it's important not to overhype the merits of natural remedies as a replacement for rather than a complement to allopathic treatments.

• Like 4

My dear mil, bless her, believes so much of this.  Carrots will cure cancer, cherries will cure arthritis, ACV will get rid of my severe GERD, fenugreek for diabetes, coconut oil for memory loss, and on and on.  Can some of these 'cures' have a positive result?  Maybe.  I don't know.  The ACV did NOTHING for my GERD.  Of course, that was my fault.  I didn't stick with it long enough.  If I'd stuck with it as long as she wanted, my esophagus would be shreds.  The fenugreek did not control her diabetes (her dd gets her medication down her somehow). When her cousin died from cancer, it was his fault because he didn't follow the diet properly.  She doesn't want to spend one cent on a doctor or medication, but she has spent a small fortune - that they couldn't afford - on supplements.  At one point she told me how much she wanted to go on a cruise with some doctor whose newsletter she lived by.  $10,000.  That was out of the question.  But a woman who won't leave her home for anything, even her dd's wedding, would have gone on a cruise.  Brainwashing?

Oh well.  She means well.  Truly.  I've learned to smile and say 'oh, really, fascinating' and ignore 99% of her advice.  Then sometimes I wonder.  She'll be 94 in April.  Hmmmm......

• Like 1

cherries will cure arthritis,

I was told by my orthopedic doctor that drinking tart cherry juice daily would help with joint inflammation so that might be what she is getting at. There are some actual studies for this one. Unfortunately I hate the taste of the stuff. . ..

I was told by my orthopedic doctor that drinking tart cherry juice daily would help with joint inflammation so that might be what she is getting at. There are some actual studies for this one. Unfortunately I hate the taste of the stuff. . ..

Very likely that's what she meant.  She had her husband drinking cherry juice.  As far as I know, he didn't get any relief from it.  I'm not doubting some of these things can help to some extent.  With her, it was always in place of medical advice.

I eat ginger and garlic every day.  Does it do any good?  I don't know.  I do like them, though.  I just saw something about drinking beet juice for high blood pressure.  In fact, I do think there was a study done on it.  I've been thinking about giving dh beet juice.  He likes it so why not.  But there is no way I would ever substitute that for actual medical care.

• Like 2

My dear mil, bless her, believes so much of this.  Carrots will cure cancer, cherries will cure arthritis, ACV will get rid of my severe GERD, fenugreek for diabetes, coconut oil for memory loss, and on and on.  Can some of these 'cures' have a positive result?  Maybe.  I don't know.  The ACV did NOTHING for my GERD.  Of course, that was my fault.  I didn't stick with it long enough.  If I'd stuck with it as long as she wanted, my esophagus would be shreds.  The fenugreek did not control her diabetes (her dd gets her medication down her somehow). When her cousin died from cancer, it was his fault because he didn't follow the diet properly.  She doesn't want to spend one cent on a doctor or medication, but she has spent a small fortune - that they couldn't afford - on supplements.  At one point she told me how much she wanted to go on a cruise with some doctor whose newsletter she lived by.  $10,000.  That was out of the question.  But a woman who won't leave her home for anything, even her dd's wedding, would have gone on a cruise.  Brainwashing?

Oh well.  She means well.  Truly.  I've learned to smile and say 'oh, really, fascinating' and ignore 99% of her advice.  Then sometimes I wonder.  She'll be 94 in April.  Hmmmm......

I laughed when I read the bolded.  Hey, she made it to 94!!  Give her some credit.

I did read once that the best thing a person could do for his health after the age of 50 is stay away from the medical profession.  Obviously, that isn't always possible, but it may have merit...

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 1

It helped one of my elderly tenants.  He was so excited to tell me this.  So I tried it.  It helped my knees too.

Not throwing it out! 

Big Pharma is sued for billions of dollars on a regular basis due to horrendous outcomes of their latest touted drugs. You have more faith than I do in their methods and research.

So what if you get exactly 10 mg of something that causes death or disability - and they know it - but they just take the multiple billions of dollars they can make on the drug before shutting it down, and feigning surprise at the outcome.

I suspect you haven't followed the drug lawsuits very closely. I actually flew across the country to have a surgeon who knew better than to use a product that is the "gold standard" in current surgeries of the type I had. Thankfully. Lots of others were disabled from this gold standard.

The good that comes from them is not from the lifestyle drug category, but from the antitbiotics and less lucrative drugs. That's not enough for them.

And then there's the millions and millions of people who are alive and able to function in their daily lives because of the drugs created by pharmaceutical companies.
  • Like 7

What? You didn't know that? It's a cure for many kinds of ailments don't you know.  :001_rolleyes:

It must have something to with apples though. I've never heard of any other kind of vinegar being as magical as apple cider vinegar. 

You've brought up an important point. The whole adage of "An apple a day..."

I laughed when I read the bolded.  Hey, she made it to 94!!  Give her some credit.

I did read once that the best thing a person could do for his health after the age of 50 is stay away from the medical profession.  Obviously, that isn't always possible, but it may have merit...

Judging solely by her, that could be.  Then again, it might just be her pure cussedness.and stubborness.

• Like 2

Judging solely by her, that could be.  Then again, it might just be her pure cussedness.and stubborness.

Reminds me of all the memes about how we need to start worrying about what kind of a world we are leaving for Keith Richards.    I don't know why I find that so amusing.

:laugh:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10026455910

• Like 2

Yes.  A lot of these do have some research that esp. in milder cases, these foods or herbal remedies can help.  My allopathic doctor tells me to try cinnamon to help lower blood sugar, for instance.  But it isn't touted as a cure.  It's just one thing that can help.  Most integrative doctors use a combination of allopathic and naturopathic remedies simply because they understand that prescription meds, while often very good for acute problems, are not always so good for more chronic problems.  In fact, I have a couple of diagnosed problems that have no cures (naturopathic or allopathic) at this time in history.  The allopathic doctor is glad that I am also getting naturopathic advice on things that can help - not cure them but at least manage them.   

On the other hand, the allopathic doctor was very skeptical of me using nature-throid instead of synthroid.  I asked him if he would let the lab results be the deciding factor.  He allowed me to stay on the nature-throid through the testing process and then since the good test results backed up my anecdotal description of better health, he allowed me to stay on them.  (Allowed as in prescribed them himself for me.)

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

Re: Made it to 94: My dad is 61 and doesn't have gray hair.

He took effing heroin for like, 20 years, in addition to smoking every day for 40 years, drinking every day for more.

So maybe that's the secret.

• Like 6

What I hate is seeing so many people belittle and deride the consideration and compassion of others caring enough to offer information in hopes it could help that individual. Who cares if they found it on a gum wrapper, it's the thought that counts. Just smile, say thank you, and be grateful.

Didn't your mothers teach you manners?!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What I hate is seeing so many people belittle and deride the consideration and compassion of others caring enough to offer information in hopes it could help that individual. Who cares if they found it on a gum wrapper, it's the thought that counts. Just smile, say thank you, and be grateful.

Was it compassion that motivated the woman who told me that I deserved my chronic pain?  That's a different definition of compassion than I've ever heard before.

I do say thank you and realize that most people are motivated by compassion.  But many people are pushy.  The people who ask me week after week if I did xyz are not showing me manners.  The people who back me into a corner to try and sell me their product and who will not take a gentle "no thank you" are not showing me manners.

I'm not sure your post is all that mannerly either, btw.  It seems to be scolding and does not seem to show compassion for those of us who have real difficulties, many of which are life threatening. 

• Like 17

I know that most people mean well.  It's just that when you have multiple chronic health problems it gets tiring.  

I think it's the word "cure" that really irritates me.  

I am treating my RA with a gluten free diet.  When I found out that I had a wheat allergy, it made sense to me that my arthritis was as bad as it was because I was daily feeding my immune system.  When I got rid of the wheat, my arthritis got much better.  But, it isn't cured.

Also, sometimes it is hard not to feel insulted.  I know that the person who told me to drink water to get rid of my migraines didn't mean to insult me; but that's how I felt.  I felt like he thought I was too stupid or lazy not to do something so simple that would relieve me of a great deal of pain and inconvenience.

• Like 8

And, quite frankly, anyone who blames homeschooling for a child's autism when said child is below school age, is being stupid. Future education choices never causes autism. :lol:

Educational choices don't cause autism, period. And it's insulting to both HSers and non-HSers to suggest that the "right" learning environment could cure a disability.

• Like 5

Was it compassion that motivated the woman who told me that I deserved my chronic pain? That's a different definition of compassion than I've ever heard before.

I do say thank you and realize that most people are motivated by compassion. But many people are pushy. The people who ask me week after week if I did xyz are not showing me manners. The people who back me into a corner to try and sell me their product and who will not take a gentle "no thank you" are not showing me manners.

I'm not sure your post is all that mannerly either, btw. It seems to be scolding and does not seem to show compassion for those of us who have real difficulties, many of which are life threatening.

I chose to not call out certain names in this thread because 1) it's too long and 2) I'm not trying to start a fight. I was taught to only give respect to those who give respect, so you are right, my post isn't mannerly.

There are a handful of posters on this thread that are acting mature and respectful or plainly have excellent examples of people being jerks. Yours is certainly one of them. Those people are not the ones I was speaking about. Perhaps I should have mentioned that, to be fair. I apologize.

For those that ask if xyz was tried, if it's something I'm not willing to try, I would simply lie and say yes, but it sadly didn't work. Or I would say that I discovered that I was allergic to their cure. I've had my fair share of pushy people in my life. They don't just give health advice and yes, it can be quite aggravating!

Honestly, after five pages in to this thread, I was getting irritated and skimmed through the rest. Then I made my post.

I apologize that you took my words as directed toward you. I assure you that they were not. And I hope that you do find relief for your pain, whether it be western, eastern, or alternative medicine.

Raw apple cider vinegar is a probiotic and will help anything probiotics usually help. This does not include rewriting DNA. Hey, maybe that's a response to try. "You are telling me that ACV can rewrite my DNA?" :huh: Surely even the most enthusiastic will have to stop and think that sounds stupid?

Yeah, that's just ludicrous. That's what Juice Plus chewables do--just ask my "friend" who texted me while I was still.in.the.hospital. recovering from my spinal cord tumor surgery. Apparently I was suffering from a lack of gummy fruit concentrate.

Edited by AndyJoy
  • Like 6

I have a friend, who is actually an RN, who quite often tries to manage my care.  She means well and I know that she loves me.  But that hasn't stopped me from setting boundaries.  The last time I thanked her for her opinion but told her that I was covered by the five doctors on my medical team.  That hasn't stopped her from asking me if I've heard of xyz treatment, but it has stopped her from trying to diagnose me and push her opinion on me.  Boundaries, like fences, can make better friendships. 

• Like 1

Nope, when people try to make a tidy profit off junk science, or no science at all and just made-up idiocy, I have no concern for being mannerly. I will tell them their junk science made-up idiocy will harm or kill people.

Look up Christine Maggiore if you want to know what junk science made up-idiocy does to people.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 8

The few I know have claimed both or celiac yet consume gluten when they want it. One would brag about telling chefs so that when they went out to eat, the chef would make them something special.

It makes it hard on those who do have issues with gluten as they get some really interesting "advice" or have been told they are just following a fad diet.

To be fair, my best friend's husband has celiac (as does their daughter and his mother). Because friend's husband was raised in a home with little bread, he doesn't eat much gluten now. But when he wants something that contains gluten, he eats it. That doesn't mean he doesn't have celiac though (he just doesn't seem to get the icky reactions that most do when having gluten - maybe because it has never been a large part of his diet? I don't know).

And btw, the people who told me that my daughter would be cured of HIV if only I would take her off her medications were not considerate and caring. They were scornful and rude. Why the hell would I allow myself to be duped by big pharma, whose only concern, according to those people, was profit and which was comprised only of evil people who don't care at all about people's health? Evil people like my sister, who works for big pharma and researches ways to cure cancer.

• Like 7

The few I know have claimed both or celiac yet consume gluten when they want it. One would brag about telling chefs so that when they went out to eat, the chef would make them something special.

It makes it hard on those who do have issues with gluten as they get some really interesting "advice" or have been told they are just following a fad diet.

To be fair, my best friend's husband has celiac (as does their daughter and his mother). Because friend's husband was raised in a home with little bread, he has never consumed much gluten. But when he wants something that contains gluten, he eats it. That doesn't mean he doesn't have celiac though (he just doesn't seem to get the icky reactions that most do when having gluten - maybe because it has never been a large part of his diet? I don't know).

There is a huge difference between someone deciding to try different kinds of treatments or supplements for themselves and trying to  bulldoze someone else into doing them.  I have tried many many things - some allopathic, some naturopathic and some just weird.  But it was my choice  That's what (at least half of) this thread is about - not trying to bulldoze others into making choices about their own health.

When it comes to children, esp. if it involves withholding treatment for serious illness, I do think it is another matter - sometimes one that requires the input of a judge. 

• Like 6

For those that ask if xyz was tried, if it's something I'm not willing to try, I would simply lie and say yes, but it sadly didn't work. Or I would say that I discovered that I was allergic to their cure. I've had my fair share of pushy people in my life. They don't just give health advice and yes, it can be quite aggravating!

Nope, sorry. I am not going to lie to someone who gives me bad medical advice in the name of good manners.

• Like 12

It might be the same article. She said that it would require a lot of bee stings (hundreds or thousands?). I said "No, thank you."

Here's the bee article. It was in fact about Lyme Disease. And yes, she was very badly stung. Doesn't sound like a 'try this at home' type of thing but it would be interesting to see research.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150327-how-a-bee-sting-saved-my-life

• Like 1

Actually, IMO the person pushing unsolicited, unscientific medical advice is the rude one.

If you haven't been on the receiving end, perhaps you don't understand the frustration. I can't tell you how much woo advice I got on how to cure my son's ADHD, let alone that it doesn't even exist and we should just be better parents plus feed him properly. 

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 14

There is nothing I vomit with more consistency than apple cider vinegar.  It's a surefire trigger.  (I don't even have to be pregnant)

And one can definitely overdose on baking soda.  I can't find if there are cases of lethal outcomes, but it does seem possible.  I don't know what a safe dose is.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002749.htm

Nope, when people try to make a tidy profit off junk science, or no science at all and just made-up idiocy, I have no concern for being mannerly. I will tell them their junk science made-up idiocy will harm or kill people.

Look up Christine Maggiore if you want to know what junk science made up-idiocy does to people.

That was the saddest thing I've read in a long time.  That poor baby never had a chance.

Get off your high horse. I don't give a steaming pile of bull crap what "worked" for other people. Why should I be grateful when yet another internet doctor or essential oils guru or yoga expert of 6 months tells me to just do (fill in the blank) and my dad will be back to his old self. He will NOT and they can go to hell with their compassion. If they had an ounce of compassion they wouldn't peddle their untested, unproven cure. I DO smile and say thank you most of the time. Then I cry later as I try to help my dad start a treatment plan that he has no hope of remembering to follow. I cry after I field follow up questions from these people.

Seriously, people are here are venting about having life long, and in some cases life threatening, conditions and having to deal with unasked for advice on a regular basis and how they usually just smile and nod but YOU are calling us ill mannered and rude. Get over yourself.

• Like 9

That was the saddest thing I've read in a long time.  That poor baby never had a chance.

Christine Maggiore was a vile person. She had a hand in convincing a large amount of people to either quit or never begin HIV medication. I remember once reading an interview with an HIV+ man who had been a Maggiore devotee. He had, of course, developed AIDS and CMV retinitis and gone blind. He was so sorry that he had ever listened to her, and he felt tremendous guilt that he had in turn encouraged other people not to take medication. He stated that when he got sick and talked to Maggiore about it, she blamed him for what happened to him because  gay men all lead unhealthy lifestyles.  :angry:

She was a horrible, vicious person who stood by and let her own daughter die rather than admit that she was full of shit. 

Actually, IMO the person pushing unsolicited, unscientific medical advice is the rude one.

If you haven't been on the receiving end, perhaps you don't understand the frustration. I can't tell you how much woo advice I got on how to cure my son's ADHD, let alone that it doesn't even exist and we should just be better parents plus feed him properly. 

Exactly this.

Manners go both ways. I am allergic to wheat, and the allergic reaction is getting bad when I get into wheat. I get really, really tired of people who think they have a right to walk up to me and demand to know why I am not eating this or that, and then without ever having been asked for advice, proceed to shovel bad, potentially dangerous advice down my throat.

Guess what. What someone else is eating is none of your business (collective you implied here, the societal you, the general public). It is totally inappropriate to try to pry medical history information out of other people.

I have actually learned to say, "I do not see how this is an appropriate topic of conversation." Followed by refusing to disclose why I am not eating the famed bread at the potluck or any number of other dishes. I am done being made to feel so darn uncomfortable when I have to eat in public.

• Like 7

One if my relatives bought into the alternative route to cancer treatment. By the time she figured out it wasn't working it was too late for standard medicine to same her.

She left four young children behind. Her cancer when first caught would have had a high cure rate.

Peddling this stuff as a cure for major diseases IS NOT a harmless thing to do.

• Like 5

Exactly this.

Manners go both ways. I am allergic to wheat, and the allergic reaction is getting bad when I get into wheat. I get really, really tired of people who think they have a right to walk up to me and demand to know why I am not eating this or that, and then without ever having been asked for advice, proceed to shovel bad, potentially dangerous advice down my throat.

Guess what. What someone else is eating is none of your business (collective you implied here, the societal you, the general public). It is totally inappropriate to try to pry medical history information out of other people.

I have actually learned to say, "I do not see how this is an appropriate topic of conversation." Followed by refusing to disclose why I am not eating the famed bread at the potluck or any number of other dishes. I am done being made to feel so darn uncomfortable when I have to eat in public.

some are plain noisy - some would try to get you something you could eat if they knew what the problem was.

I've a friend who is dairy and gluten intolerant. we were at a very large private function with a set menu.  so, she was eating very little.  she was not making an issue of it, but I did ask why.  I went into the kitchen, and asked the servers for a plate of food before they added any dairy et. al.  she was very grateful.

this is a yearly repeating function - now as standard, they offer GF substitutes.

• Like 1

I don't mind some friends or even acquaintances asking general questions about diet.  Yesterday at the church potluck there were people with different restrictions and we talked about them in a good-natured way.  I don't mind people asking me a general question about my health either.   I choose how much to say and usually give a one-liner type of a description.  I don't go around volunteering health information but sometimes it comes up esp. at church where we pray for each other.  I've noticed people around me doing the same.  It's when it gets more intrusive that I mind.  The problem of course is that you don't know at the start, who's going to be friendly and non-intrusive and who's going to be pushy and intrusive. 

• Like 4

One if my relatives bought into the alternative route to cancer treatment. By the time she figured out it wasn't working it was too late for standard medicine to same her.

She left four young children behind. Her cancer when first caught would have had a high cure rate.

I am so sorry for your family. 

Steve Jobs is a famous example of someone who did what your relative did. He had a highly curable form of cancer but chose alternative over conventional treatment. By the time he realized that the woo was in fact woo, it was too late. The cancer had spread and was no longer treatable, let alone curable. He would very possibly, likely even, be alive and cancer free if he had chosen science-based medicine when he was first diagnosed.

I can understand someone who has an aggressive cancer choosing not to get treatment that will only prolong the inevitable (and possibly make them miserable while they wait to die). Someone with a cancer like Jobs had or your relative if hers was curable well, I just don't understand why they turn their backs on the proven for the unproven.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 7

I'm sorry about your family member :(

I agree, the peddling of pseudoscience and woo causes very real harm, and in some cases death. 

• Like 4

some are plain noisy - some would try to get you something you could eat if they knew what the problem was.

I've a friend who is dairy and gluten intolerant. we were at a very large private function with a set menu.  so, she was eating very little.  she was not making an issue of it, but I did ask why.  I went into the kitchen, and asked the servers for a plate of food before they added any dairy et. al.  she was very grateful.

this is a yearly repeating function - now as standard, they offer GF substitutes.

I am just sensitive, Gardenmom. In my case I've never once had anyone offering to help, to ask about ingredients, or to set aside food or what not. It has always simply been nosy nellies, and on top of that some cooks who get offended if you aren't eating their potluck item. I've numerous individuals even after an explanation of the allergy try to goad me into eating wheat laced food anyway because they either just don't believe in food allergies or don't care.

To some degree it is more often from the older set. As one woman put it, "It is rude not to try other people's food." I've also heard, "You eat what you are served, and clean your plate." We even had a woman at church who tried to goad a child with a shellfish allergy (anaphylactic allergy) into eating a piece of shrimp. Thankfully the child new it was okay to stand her ground even if the elder felt it was disrespectful, and the grandmother of the child was able to intervene before it got worse.

We really have a very nosy society. I think that's the worst thing. People just feel free to comment on things that 50 years ago no one would consider voicing an opinion about. I think we are too "familiar" or casual as a culture now which emboldens the public to make comments it should not be making.

• Like 3

Amen.  Smile and nod.  Say thanks.  Move on. 

I was reared  by Miss Manners.  ;)

We really have a very nosy society. I think that's the worst thing. People just feel free to comment on things that 50 years ago no one would consider voicing an opinion about. I think we are too "familiar" or casual as a culture now which emboldens the public to make comments it should not be making.

I run into a lot of people with the attitude "my privacy is important but yours isn't ".

• Like 4

I am so sorry for your family. 

Steve Jobs is a famous example of someone who did what your relative did. He had a highly curable form of cancer but chose alternative over conventional treatment. By the time he realized that the woo was in fact woo, it was too late. The cancer had spread and was no longer treatable, let alone curable. He would very possibly, likely even, be alive and cancer free if he had chosen science-based medicine when he was first diagnosed.

I can understand someone who has an aggressive cancer choosing not to get treatment that will only prolong the inevitable (and possibly make them miserable while they wait to die). Someone with a cancer like Jobs had or your relative if hers was curable well, I just don't understand why they turn their backs on the proven for the unproven.

Many, many people die anyway, using chemo and other standard treatments.  Do you blame them too for making the "wrong" choice? 

I think Jobs did the best he could with the information he had at the time.  No one had more of a stake in his survival than he did. 

• Like 2

I think it's rude to comment on someone's diet, on their medical treatment choices, or try to sell them a "cure" if you're not a doc to whom they've come for help. I think Miss Manners would agree with me.

I've heard it all. There is always an anecdote about the person who got well after trying X. And over the course of 25 years with chronic illness, I've tried most of it, spent a fortune I'll never regain, and been polite enough. There's a point when it's not anyone's business what treatments I've tried. I'm doing X, or don't eat Y, or take medicine Z, but unless you've been in the trenches with me for 25 years of complex medical history - you a.) don't understand the intricacies, b.) aren't educated about all of the interplay between conditions, c.) don't know everything I've tried, and d.) don't get a say in my treatment.

This was easier when it was just me. I'd smile and nod more.

But now that it is life or death for my child - I don't smile and nod. His allergies are anaphylactic. We've almost lost him. So the person trying to tell me, and him, that raw milk will cure his dairy allergy needs to stop. Now. No. It won't. Smiling and nodding could give my child false hope or encourage him to try dairy alone and possibly die. Or make that person think I'm agreeing and it's OK to give my child raw milk if I'm not around. The person who says my house is too clean so it's my fault my kid has allergies is clearly uninformed about the hygiene theory, but I don't necessarily want or need to go into a complicated explanation of what it means. They may or may not listen, and half the time we'll never see that person again so why should I care? I could go on. But, really, if it comes to good manners - this is simply a topic that good manners doesn't need to touch.

ETA: Miss Manners does say not to monitor what others eat, I'm fairly sure that would extend to what meds they do/don't take.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 15

I do believe that's exactly what most of the people on this thread do.  To the person.  This thread is a place that should be safe to vent because it's really not okay for people to recommend things that might actually be dangerous because they read some article on-line.

• Like 7

No.  The people we are talking about will not allow us to move on.  They will push their food, their supplements, their articles and their advice on us.  They will push it on minor children.  Miss Manners does not advocate being a doormat and not setting boundaries.  When it is more important for someone to be "right" and to push their agenda, then they are not being mannerly..  They are being boorish.  Of course it is easier to smile and say thanks and move on.  We've all tried that and the boors won't let go. 

• Like 13