Menu

What do you think about marijuana for recreational use in older ppl?

Home'scool

Marijuana use?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Marijuana use for recreational purposes in older adults

• Yes, it's fine. It's just like a weekend cocktail!
    • Nope, it's a drug and should not be used!

I'm sorry about your dad :(  Mine died from COPD after smoking 2 packs a day since age 12.  

Personally, I hate weed too.  I don't like the way people who are high behave; I find them generally annoying and occasionally so misguided as to be disastrous.  I don't like the way it smells, and I can't function at all if I smoke it (I tried once after we moved here - disaster).  

I just can't get from that to "all people who use it are one step above scum" because that would certainly mean that all cigarette users are almost scum, and all drinkers (even very casual ones) are almost scum; furthermore, it would deny the fact that for some people it is beneficial in a variety of ways.   

Your experience is yours, though, and I'm sorry for the really bad associations you've had with it.

• Like 5

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion?   Would any regular poster need to ask?   :lol:

Your life, your decision and I don't give a hoot if the gov't says it's legal or not.

BUT, don't let it affect my life via smell spreading or DUI or similar.

I would vote for it to become legal if it came to a vote.

But for my own personal body?  Never touched the stuff and never plan to (to use it - we did get rid of a volunteer plant once - but not by using it).  I try to put as few drugs/medicines in my body as I can because I believe the body generally does best on its own.  Yes, there are exceptions with diabetes/epilepsy/etc, so I am NOT anti-med in general.

I even drink (some) alcohol on occasion, but only once (as a college student) to the point of getting drunk - and that was merely to see what others were talking about/feeling.  I had no desire to do it again.  I have no desire to ever smoke anything or eat pot brownies.

My life - my decision.

Best wishes to you as you continue through life.  It sounds like you're looking for some mental escapes.  We all need those TBH.  I get mine via fun times socializing, hiking/walking, and travel if you want other options to consider.  If not fine.  Your life.  Your decision.

• Like 4

Best wishes to you as you continue through life.  It sounds like you're looking for some mental escapes.  We all need those TBH.  I get mine via fun times socializing, hiking/walking, and travel if you want other options to consider.  If not fine.  Your life.  Your decision.

I get mine through cookies :)  Probably not the healthiest thing either, but oh well.  

• Like 2

I get mine through cookies :)  Probably not the healthiest thing either, but oh well.  

True story... last night we went to dinner right outside a college.  As we walked around afterward we came across a group of students offering free cookies?  Free?  What organization was doing this?  A pre-health majors (co-ed) fraternity.  Why?  They were just doing it as a service to be nice.  

I literally asked them (in a joking manner), "Are you working at lining up future customers?"  We all laughed and they said, "I guess so!"

Hubby took some and said they were good.  He loves cookies!  I don't have a sweet tooth, so they weren't appealing to me.

On the way out we passed a hospital with one of those ER waiting room times on it.  It said 6 minutes.

Considering we'd had gyros and fries for lunch, a full sugar soda (each), and a super large hamburger/cheeseburger with fries for supper - then cookies for hubby - I asked him (again jokingly) if he thought we ought to go there and just wait assuming their 6 minute time frame would be about right.   :coolgleamA:

We chose not to do that are are both still in the land of the living - for now.   :hurray: Hopefully all that exercise we got walking around and doing stairs (other things we did on campus) helped a little bit!

I expect he'll do either donuts or muffins for breakfast shortly...  I'm still full from yesterday!

If you had asked me 20 years ago I would have been filled with plenty of self righteousness about users of illegal drugs. How I don't do that and no empathy or understanding for anyone who chose to engage in illegal drug use.

Now, I don't care what you do in your own home. If pot is legal where you live have do what you want. It is no business of mine.

Dh has a couple of family members with pot addictions. Sure, they are able to maintain their jobs and a home. But neither has ever had a successful relationship or gotten married. They have little interest in activities that do not involve getting high.

It is not legal where I live although ot is being talked about, along with lowering the drinking age back to 18. I almost rather pot was decriminalized and taxed like cigarettes.

• Like 1

This makes me think of an old public awareness ad that was on tv years ago.

Guy in his 30s talks about marijuana not being a big deal, look at him, he's okay and it hasn't had an impact. You start to think everything is just fine with him. Then, his mom suddenly calls to him "Tommy, it's time for dinner!" "Okay, Mom, be right there." And it suddenly becomes clear that he's living in his mother's basement and she's still caring for him as if he were a teenager.

This one always struck me because it rang so true for a number of people I knew when I was younger. They weren't hurting anyone. They were just spending every night on their couch stoned, never moving forward with their lives or maturing emotionally.

And I'm sure there are many that can use it on a rare occasion and be fine, op. I've just never met anyone like that. Everyone I knew either completely abstained or spent every evening stoned.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 3

Melissa, I'm with you. I've seen too many people screw up their lives (or lose their lives) because of it. ("Oh, but I'd never let that happen to me!" Uh-huh. Sure. Whatever.) And as a mother who is currently trying to pry her son back from the pot-abyss ("But adults are doing it, and it's now legal in some places!" Grrrrr...), it is just completely mind-boggling to me that anyone would willing step down that path. Furthermore, I have another son who has no choice in this life but to be mentally incapacitated. For people to CHOOSE to make their minds incapacitated? Willingly?

I'm having a completely visceral reaction to this thread, so I think it's probably best that I stop reading it now.

But there are plenty of people that screw up their lives with alcohol. Does that make everyone who uses alcohol just above scum, as Melissa said? Or does it mean that some people end up having problems, and some use it and keep a handle on it? I used to know a man who was a lawyer, worked hard, great dad, cub scout den leader, great guy. He also sometimes smoked pot on the weekends. He was not scum, any more than if he had indulged in a few glasses of scotch on the weekend. It didn't mess up his life. He had a great life! (I've since moved away, I assume he still does). 

Now, I won't say that it is totally non addictive like i hear people say. I think you can end up with pot problem the same way you can end up with an alcohol problem. But that doesn't mean everyone who uses either has a problem or is scum. 

• Like 7

It's not something I was ever interested in. I tried it a time or two as a kid and hated it.

I also hated the anxiety meds I was forced to be put on to deal with my very difficult life a few years back. While they helped with the anxiety, the side affects they had on me were not good and appear to be permanent.

During this time I watched the CNN documentary about the medicinal uses of it. One woman spoke about how much it helped her with her anxiety. Then I started to meet people in online groups who have become offline friends as well and they shared their experiences with it for medicinal uses.

If I could turn back time, I would have tried it for my anxiety.

You know, with what I've said above, I want to say that #1 I haven't read this thread, just the OP and #2 I couldn't have any part of it if it messed with my brain. That may sound stupid but I somehow thought the oils or different types of medicinal plants didn't do that? But I only watched one documentary. I'm definitely ill informed.

I never could understand the condemnation of pot but the acceptance of alcohol. Alcohol has ruined and continues to ruin many lives but it doesn't for everybody. I don't personally have any desire to smoke pot and rarely drink(and if I do it is no more than a glass at a time) but I find most of the arguments weak and based on feelings rather than facts.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

Just don't do it in the house. I mean, I think you'd regret it if it clings to furniture, etc. like regular cigarettes do.

So long as the person doing it is not risking endangering anyone (or high while at work) I think it's totally a personal decision. I wouldn't urge it if it's illegal where you live though.

I don't smoke but a lot of my friends did and some still do. I don't like being around it, it gives me a headache. But to each their own. I don't think it should be illegal. I just think people should be responsible.

• Like 1

If you had asked me 20 years ago I would have been filled with plenty of self righteousness about users of illegal drugs. How I don't do that and no empathy or understanding for anyone who chose to engage in illegal drug use.

Now, I don't care what you do in your own home. If pot is legal where you live have do what you want. It is no business of mine.

Dh has a couple of family members with pot addictions. Sure, they are able to maintain their jobs and a home. But neither has ever had a successful relationship or gotten married. They have little interest in activities that do not involve getting high.

It is not legal where I live although ot is being talked about, along with lowering the drinking age back to 18. I almost rather pot was decriminalized and taxed like cigarettes.

Melissa, I'm with you. I've seen too many people screw up their lives (or lose their lives) because of it. ("Oh, but I'd never let that happen to me!" Uh-huh. Sure. Whatever.) And as a mother who is currently trying to pry her son back from the pot-abyss ("But adults are doing it, and it's now legal in some places!" Grrrrr...), it is just completely mind-boggling to me that anyone would willing step down that path. Furthermore, I have another son who has no choice in this life but to be mentally incapacitated. For people to CHOOSE to make their minds incapacitated? Willingly?

I'm having a completely visceral reaction to this thread, so I think it's probably best that I stop reading it now.

This makes me think of an old public awareness ad that was on tv years ago.

Guy in his 30s talks about marijuana not being a big deal, look at him, he's okay and it hasn't had an impact. You start to think everything is just fine with him. Then, his mom suddenly calls to him "Tommy, it's time for dinner!" "Okay, Mom, be right there." And it suddenly becomes clear that he's living in his mother's basement and she's still caring for him as if he were a teenager.

This one always struck me because it rang so true for a number of people I knew when I was younger. They weren't hurting anyone. They were just spending every night on their couch stoned, never moving forward with their lives or maturing emotionally.

And I'm sure there are many that can use it on a rare occasion and be fine, op. I've just never met anyone like that. Everyone I knew either completely abstained or spent every evening stoned.

But there are plenty of people that screw up their lives with alcohol. Does that make everyone who uses alcohol just above scum, as Melissa said? Or does it mean that some people end up having problems, and some use it and keep a handle on it? I used to know a man who was a lawyer, worked hard, great dad, cub scout den leader, great guy. He also sometimes smoked pot on the weekends. He was not scum, any more than if he had indulged in a few glasses of scotch on the weekend. It didn't mess up his life. He had a great life! (I've since moved away, I assume he still does). 

Now, I won't say that it is totally non addictive like i hear people say. I think you can end up with pot problem the same way you can end up with an alcohol problem. But that doesn't mean everyone who uses either has a problem or is scum. 

Although I am not against recreational use of some drugs, including alcohol, I do get disgusted and concerned, and sometimes alarmed at the *culture* that is around marijuana. Perpetuated by people who have developed into addiction, there exists great myth and misinformation, including but not limited to:

1. It's not addictive.
  2. It's "natural".
  3. It's beneficial.
  4. The "anti-motivation syndrome does not exist."
  5. "No one ever died from it."

The truth is that in a predisposed brain (just like any other mind altering drug), it does become an addiction, and not "just psychological." The truth is that wake-and-bakers do lose their drive, their future, their ambition. The truth is that here ARE withdrawal symptoms. Pot is not benign, and like any addiction can be wholly and completely devastating. The culture around defending the (over) use of it is weird, and scary and is directly responsible for many lost, unproductive lives.

Edited by Joanne
  • Like 8

Lots of condemnation from posters, but, note that the current poll results show something a bit different.  About 58% say it's similar to a weekend cocktail.   (Posting this for those who read on Tapatalk and / or don't see poll results for other reasons).

• Like 1

Although I am not against recreational use of some drugs, including alcohol, I do get disgusted and concerned, and sometimes alarmed at the *culture* that is around marijuana. Perpetuated by people who have developed into addiction, there exists great myth and misinformation, including but not limited to:

1. It's not addictive.
  2. It's "natural".
  3. It's beneficial.
  4. The "anti-motivation syndrome does not exist."
  5. "No one ever died from it."

The truth is that in a predisposed brain (just like any other mind altering drug), it does become an addiction, and not "just psychological." The truth is that wake-and-bakers do lose their drive, their future, their ambition. The truth is that here IS withdrawal symptoms. Pot is not benign, and like any addiction can be wholly and completely devastating. The culture around defending the (over) use of it is weird, and scary and is directly responsible for many lost, unproductive lives.

Don't the statistics say that it's only chemically addictive for like 10% of people?

Many people have a culture around wine or beer consumption.  What is the difference?  Just the illegality?  Is it the specific effect it has on addicted users?  (I have known alcoholics and pot addicts, and as far as harm to society I don't think pot addicts are necessarily worse).

I never could understand the condemnation of pot but the acceptance of alcohol. Alcohol has ruined and continues to ruin many lives but it doesn't for everybody. I don't personally have any desire to smoke pot and rarely drink(and if I do it is no more than a glass at a time) but I find most of the arguments weak and based on feelings rather than facts.

I think many who condemn pot would also condemn alcohol too.  Not all, but many.  Thing is... they tried prohibiting alcohol once and didn't get far.  It can even be argued that they did more harm than good with what sprung up.  The same is true of pot IMO.  Having it illegal is quite probably more of a pain in the butt than not with costs of enforcing it and loss of taxes - even with the illegal production of it.

People are going to do what they choose to do.  The info is out there and taught in schools, etc, just as it is for alcohol or seatbelt use or texting and driving.  Those latter two are definitely more deadly and ruin more lives IMO, including innocent lives with the last.

We all choose our lives and what dangers or escapes we want to live with.

Such is this planet we live on.

Personally, I have no desire to smoke or eat pot.  I don't like the way it messes with my body.  It doesn't matter if it's illegal or not and it doesn't matter if someone else uses it or not.  I only ask (of others) to keep it away from me.  I'd also prefer if no one were texting and driving around me...

There are beneficial, medical uses for marijuana.

Yes, but from what I understand the psycho-active compound/s (?) have been bred out. I'm very much against recreational marijuana. It's a depressant and can trigger schizophrenia in people. I'm hoping my mother will be able to get access to medical marijuana in the future for chronic pain. Over here at the moment it is only becoming available to childhood epilepsy sufferers and some cancer patients.

(I don't drink either and prefer to self medicate with sugar, which isn't good for me either, because Terry Pratchett didn't write enough novels.)

Edited by Rosie_0801
  • Like 4

Lots of condemnation from posters, but, note that the current poll results show something a bit different.  About 58% say it's similar to a weekend cocktail.   (Posting this for those who read on Tapatalk and / or don't see poll results for other reasons).

I didn't vote because neither of the answers reflects my views.

I recommend not using pot unless you have a medical prescription for it.  There are medicinal uses for it, but one should not use that as an excuse either.

Edited by SKL

Don't the statistics say that it's only chemically addictive for like 10% of people?

Many people have a culture around wine or beer consumption.  What is the difference?  Just the illegality?  Is it the specific effect it has on addicted users?  (I have known alcoholics and pot addicts, and as far as harm to society I don't think pot addicts are necessarily worse).

The bold is not what I was addressing. I was addressing the culture around pot-advocates.

As far as "harm" to society or families, I think alcohol is likely worse.

Yes, but from what I understand the psycho-active compound/s (?) have been bred out. I'm very much against recreational marijuana. It's a depressant and can trigger schizophrenia in people. I'm hoping my mother will be able to get access to medical marijuana in the future for chronic pain. Over here at the moment it is only becoming available to childhood epilepsy sufferers and some cancer patients.

(I don't drink either and prefer to self medicate with sugar, which isn't good for me either, because Terry Pratchett didn't write enough novels.)

This is true, but for a very small percentage. I realize that doesn't make it less true. :)

That reminded me of another myth, that it's "not a gateway drug." Of course it is in a predisposed body. And, like other drugs, the impact of it on the brain grows bigger with the earlier age of first use.

And this ties into the discussions about economic opportunity.  If a pot user lacks ambition to promote his career, is he responsible for "having less opportunity," or is it all just a bunch of "systemic problems" that the individual cannot control?

I wonder what % of our population is underemployed because of the culture that considers "recreational drug use" to be harmless.

A person who was honest with me about pot use and its effects on him (stagnation) dropped it and worked toward his bachelor's degree in his 40s.  He is an intellectually gifted inventor who wasted so many years doing basically nothing.  His gifted daughter graduated high school with no college fund at all, and was unable to attend the college where she was offered a half scholarship, because her folks had no money and no credit either.  You could say this guy wasn't hurting anyone bla bla bla.  He shouldn't have been using drugs.  Too bad he can't go back and change that.  At least he's not encouraging others to make the same mistake.

• Like 4

And this ties into the discussions about economic opportunity.  If a pot user lacks ambition to promote his career, is he responsible for "having less opportunity," or is it all just a bunch of "systemic problems" that the individual cannot control?

I wonder what % of our population is underemployed because of the culture that considers "recreational drug use" to be harmless.

A person who was honest with me about pot use and its effects on him (stagnation) dropped it and worked toward his bachelor's degree in his 40s.  He is an intellectually gifted inventor who wasted so many years doing basically nothing.  His gifted daughter graduated high school with no college fund at all, and was unable to attend the college where she was offered a half scholarship, because her folks had no money and no credit either.  You could say this guy wasn't hurting anyone bla bla bla.  He shouldn't have been using drugs.  Too bad he can't go back and change that.  At least he's not encouraging others to make the same mistake.

That is not recreational use. It's addiction.

I know that some people get addicted to coffee (also psychoactive, probably why I luuurrrrve it), codeine, marijuana (by the way...you don't have to smoke it and I wouldn't advise smoking it if you plan to do it any more often than every year or so, that's terrible for the lungs), alcohol, nicotine... lots of things that are legal are both psychoactive and addictive.

While I agree that engaging in illegal behavior for recreation is an extremely poor choice, I can't believe some people are posting that anyone who uses drugs is scum.

You realize that the vast majority of people on this board consume either alcohol or coffee or nicotine, or some combination of those, and that many consume marijuana as well?

They're all drugs. They all have their fun. "Scum" is a bit harsh considering you're hitting nearly everyone here.

Or is coffee not a drug, magically, although it is extremely addictive and has a substantial effect on behavior especially for addicts? Well isn't that convenient.

And I'll just say... professionally, I'd say that between 20 and 50% of people I and my partner work with smoke weed at least once a month. Like, these are mid- to upper-level professionals, between 30 and 50. It is absolutely not taboo in this circle, so that probably affects my perception. After all, most of the pot users I know are upper-middle-class professionals.

I'm sorry to all who've lost someone to addiction. I am not trying to minimize that. I do think there are drugs that are so addictive they should be prescription only. My experience is that marijuana is definitely not one of those drugs though you can ruin your life with pretty much anything (including sugar and junk food).

• Like 3

Definitely including sugar and junk food, and also something you haven't mentioned, prescription pain meds - the two significant health concerns in the Us right now, from what I read in the news/ see with family, are 1. obesity/diabetes and 2. prescription pain med addiction (leading sometimes into heroin addiction).

Also, I cannot believe I am defending recreational marijuana use, as I absolutely loathe the stuff and cannot use it myself.

But then, I don't smoke cigarettes either and cannot ever do so (as I have a tendency towards nicotine addiction), and I don't presume to call occasional cigarette smokers scum - or even addicted smokers!  People are free to make their own life choices in this regard, as far as I am concerned.  

I am not, as it happens, much of a libertarian.

I only know about recreational drug use among peers..... engineers and banking middle-managers and execs, mostly.   Do it during ski trips, backyard BBQs.  Recreationally. 

I don't think the honest person you refer to was a recreational drug user by any stretch of that definition.  

• Like 2

Regarding the person who spent years doing nothing while he smoked pot...

My DH has no tendencies toward addiction at all.  He does, however, have a tendency toward lack of motivation.  He said he never smoked pot (in addition to moral reasons) because he knew he would probably never leave the house again.  He said he had (and has) a hard enough time getting and staying motivated to do things that if he ever added pot into the picture, it was easy enough to see what would happen.  

So no, I don't agree that person was necessarily addicted.  He could have just already had a non-ambitious, non-self-motivating personality that was exacerbated by the pot.

• Like 1

While I agree that engaging in illegal behavior for recreation is an extremely poor choice, I can't believe some people are posting that anyone who uses drugs is scum.

not some people,   just one person . ME.

I did post that  it is my personal opinion and I only did that because I thought this thread was after people's personal opinions.

If you lived my life and had relatives like I have you might see why I think what I do.

I have yet to meet a person who uses pot that has not had some very negative effects on them. I do know users who have very high paying jobs and can be perceived from the outside to be ok - until you get to really know them and see what a mess their life is in reality. 

I know users who are so paranoid that they cannot leave their house. A user who has schizophrenia and are still in their late 50's living with their mother. Users who got mixed up with organized crime and users who have now turned to drug dealing. All these people were what you would think of as middle income people before their drug use.

Just about every single one of them do not perceive that they have a drug problem. They do not connect the two things together at all. to them a person with a drug problem is a heroin user - not them. In their mind they are just a recreational user - they are just using to relax or have fun.

• Like 2

not some people,   just one person . ME.

I did post that  it is my personal opinion and I only did that because I thought this thread was after people's personal opinions.

If you lived my life and had relatives like I have you might see why I think what I do.

I have yet to meet a person who uses pot that has not had some very negative effects on them. I do know users who have very high paying jobs and can be perceived from the outside to be ok - until you get to really know them and see what a mess their life is in reality. 

I know users who are so paranoid that they cannot leave their house. A user who has schizophrenia and are still in their late 50's living with their mother. Users who got mixed up with organized crime and users who have now turned to drug dealing. All these people were what you would think of as middle income people before their drug use.

Just about every single one of them do not perceive that they have a drug problem. They do not connect the two things together at all. to them a person with a drug problem is a heroin user - not them. In their mind they are just a recreational user - they are just using to relax or have fun.

Yes, there are almost always at least two sides to things, sometimes more. I have seen what you describe as well, Melissa, though not through first hand experience but only in my work.

• Like 1

One thing that concerns me is that marijuana production will be taken over by companies that end up adding seriously dangerous fillers to it, the way cigarette manufacturers did and do. There's also a danger of coating the plants with harmful pesticides that do harm the user in ways that the pot alone would not do.

Funny, I had not thought of that. Organic pot only, please.

it is interesting to research the effect it has on unborn children as well.

it is one of the few substances that affect the sperm, and for a considerable amount of time as well. it can result in significant deformaties but mostly the fetus is miscarried (from  the damaged sperm). it can also result in the child having symptoms very like FAS. Use by the mother can cause the baby to have depleted oxygen, especially around birth and all the lifelong effects that that

I have lost the  link that I had for this.

• Like 1

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/08/28/3576748.htm long term effect on IQ

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/02/10/3427149.htm danger of use and driving

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/06/03/2263378.htm  long term use can cause brain to shrink

http://www0.health.nsw.gov.au/factsheets/drugandalcohol/marijuana.html short term and long term effects

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/cannabinoid-helps-drug-withdrawals-study/story-e6frfku9-1226802906667

One in 10 people who try become addicted

May lead to heart attacks and strokes http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/3/2/e000638.full?sid=a7d9834b-0755-446d-b5f7-8a1cef51e92a

I did have a link to studies that showed that smoking one joint is equivalent of 7-10 cigarettes as far as lung damage. but it is no longer in my file.

Somebody wanted some links to proof that it can be harmful.

a Google search will show up much much more.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

It's illegal for recreational use in my country, not to mention dumb (I like preserving my brain function).  Sadly, our new (idiot) Prime Minister is considering trying to legalize it's recreational use. I'm guessing he's already lost some brain function. ;)

:lol: :lol:  Not to make light of the subject but I have to stay pretty much out of this discussion because I work 6 days a week with people who are living with the consequences of drug use or abuse and this ranges from drug-induced paranoia, schizo-affective disorders to schizophrenia to "just" having made a royal mess of life, relationships, etc.

Edited by Liz CA

my personal opinion is that all users are just above scum level.

I'll keep that in mind when we get a dispensary close enough and I'm finally able to try it for my epilepsy and OCD.  :001_rolleyes:

And for the record, branding something mean as "your personal opinion" doesn't magically absolve you from being a jerk.

• Like 9

You know, with what I've said above, I want to say that #1 I haven't read this thread, just the OP and #2 I couldn't have any part of it if it messed with my brain. That may sound stupid but I somehow thought the oils or different types of medicinal plants didn't do that? But I only watched one documentary. I'm definitely ill informed.

You are correct. The pain killing / numbing substance can be extracted / separated from the part that causes the mellow feeling.

I would need to research more or see if research exists about long-term effects of this as I would do with all prescription drugs as well as naturopathic supplements.

Can you consult with a naturopath to see if something can be done about the side effects of your anxiolytic meds? Sometimes, we need immediate help to get to a better place quickly. Are you perhaps at this point and could use other products (naturopathic, herbal, etc.) that may have fewer side effects?

I think we should not keep getting hung up on the word someone used. It seems clear that the poster has very deep, personal feelings about this and used a word to express this visceral reaction. When a poster asks for other members' opinions, most of us are offering just that - opinions and personal convictions. Some have more experiences than others; some have linked various research articles. No doubt our work and personal experiences color our stance.

We are adults after all and make decisions for our own path as we see fit. It is only normal that the Hive has a wide variety of thoughts and opinions on this and many other subjects. Let us recall subjects like shopping carts and Halloween just to mention a few. :)

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

I think we should not keep getting hung up on the word someone used. It seems clear that the poster has very deep, personal feelings about this and used a word to express this visceral reaction. When a poster asks for other members' opinions, most of us are offering just that - opinions and personal convictions. Some have more experiences than others; some have linked various research articles. No doubt our work and personal experiences color our stance.

We are adults after all and make decisions for our own path as we see fit. It is only normal that the Hive has a wide variety of thoughts and opinions on this and many other subjects. Let us recall subjects like shopping carts and Halloween just to mention a few. :)

Well that is true, but I've apologized in the past when my temper got the best of me and people pointed out that my judgment was too harsh.

Well that is true, but I've apologized in the past when my temper got the best of me and people pointed out that my judgment was too harsh.

I am not singling you or anyone out in particular. :) We all have knee jerk reactions to some things. It is part of what makes us human. Just didn't want the poster to feel like people were all over her for this one comment.

• Like 1

:lol: :lol:  Not to make light of the subject but I have to stay pretty much out of this discussion because I work 6 days a week with people who are living with the consequences of drug use or abuse and this ranges from drug-induced paranoia, schizo-affective disorders to schizophrenia to "just" having made a royal mess of life, relationships, etc.

FWIW, even though I'm a live and let live person, I think it's incredibly important that one know what they are getting into when they make their choices.

ALL of any discussion I get into at school - in class or out of class - discusses the physical/science aspects of what one is doing when one chooses to use drugs (including alcohol).  The only kids at school I sometimes have trouble working with are those who are on drugs.  Their minds just aren't working properly.  I can do a ton with pretty much any other mental issue and most kids who don't do well or aren't liked at school love it when I'm in.  But I can't break through the drug induced wall.   :crying:

I'm never in favor of youth using drugs (aside from a little alcohol on special days where it's tradition - and Fridays are NOT special days).  Drugs do way too much to the developing brain IMO - and I let them know that.

Lack of education does way too much to the developing brain too.  We often discuss that in my classes - and it's why I don't mind getting off on rabbit trails occasionally and linking tons of subjects/ideas together - integrating education.  One does NOT just learn math in my Alg classes.   :coolgleamA:   (This is one thing kids love actually.)  They may not be homeschooled, but I try hard for well-educated kids.

I also let them know that my kids have proved there are kids at all colleges who make choices to not include drugs/major alcohol in their lives.  Youngest goes to a Top 10 "drugs and partying" school, but he still has peers who willingly join him in other pursuits.   ;)

Middle son's school did a survey once asking students (anonymously) if they had had even one drink (or more) in the past semester.  2/3rd said yes.  This means 1/3rd said no.  Of those 2/3rds I'm sure not all were partiers.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

I also let them know that my kids have proved there are kids at all colleges who make choices to not include drugs/major alcohol in their lives. Youngest goes to a Top 10 "drugs and partying" school, but he still has peers who join willingly join him in other pursuits. ;)

Middle son's school did a survey once asking students (anonymously) if they had had even one drink (or more) in the past semester. 2/3rd said yes. This means 1/3rd said no. Of those 2/3rds I'm sure not all were partiers.

Thanks for this. It's encouraging to me and something I'm going to share with my kids.

• Like 1

I think that your profession skews your view on these things. We are not talking about passing out or driving into a wall. I've drunk alcohol all my life, and smoked pot a bit in my younger days. I've never injured myself, ended up in hospital or driven after having drunk/smoked.

I'd like to stack my over-fifty body (10,000 steps a day; yoga twice a week; stand up from sitting on the the floor without using hands or knees) against many of the young things who come to my yoga class and disappear after one session. The young men seem particularly disheartened.

Even after a drink/smoke, I'd be well ahead.

If I had a nickel every time I heard this type of bragging as the doctor is telling me to staple up someone's head, I would be ridiculously rich. As long as people keep this mentality, I keep my job. Although I am jaded by my work, everyone knows that statistically more accidents happen during intoxication. The stapling is the easy part. It is the ones who still have grandkids who come for Christmas we see with big head bleeds that are tragic. Since the OP was asking specifically about the over 50 crowd, I focused there. Do not get me started on the tragedy of the younger crowd.

We tend to think it is OK to do whatever within the confines of our own home. Even if one removes the individual, there still is some social responsibility not to be a burden on society if it can be helped. Elderly accidents are incredibly burdensome in regards to Medicare costs. Plus, rehabilitation and nursing home costs are greatly attributed to accidents.

• Like 2

If I had a nickel every time I heard this type of bragging as the doctor is telling me to staple up someone's head, I would be ridiculously rich. As long as people keep this mentality, I keep my job. Although I am jaded by my work, everyone knows that statistically more accidents happen during intoxication. The stapling is the easy part. It is the ones who still have grandkids who come for Christmas we see with big head bleeds that are tragic. Since the OP was asking specifically about the over 50 crowd, I focused there. Do not get me started on the tragedy of the younger crowd.

We tend to think it is OK to do whatever within the confines of our own home. Even if one removes the individual, there still is some social responsibility not to be a burden on society if it can be helped. Elderly accidents are incredibly burdensome in regards to Medicare costs. Plus, rehabilitation and nursing home costs are greatly attributed to accidents.

Bragging? I think you are just misunderstanding my life as a moderate drinker. Intoxicated? After a single glass of wine, I am more steady on my feet than I am after a warm bath. Disbelieve me if you wish, but it's the truth.

• Like 2

It's legal here and it's not my thing because it makes me ravenously hungry and terribly sleepy. And obesity and somnolence are not my goals. Also, I have too many responsibilities right now. Maybe when the kids are out of the house though?

As for others, my parents and grandparents have been users in later life and I think it generally has improved their enjoyment of life and relieved their pain and so I don't have a problem with it.

• Like 1