Menu

CC: Tithing

sheryl

My dear, sweet Dad left money to me as well as to my brother and sister.  It's not a large amount by the world's standard but it's a large amount to me and most people in our income bracket.  

I plan on tithing.

Tithing is a minimum of 10% gross

Donation - contribution (weekly at church service) of any amount that is over and beyond tithing

Alms - this is what I'm not sure about.  This is financial or any assistance to the poor (food, clothing, etc)

Am I right so far?

Is tithing supposed to go directly to the church at which we are members (our home church)?  Or, could I give $$$ at our church and $$ to another church and $$ to a Christian ministry which would equal 10%?

I thought I had more questions on this but maybe this will get me started?

From what I was told recently, I can't really dictate too much where I'd like our church to use the money.  I can direct a little but not all of it.  Have you heard of this?

Also, if you have scripture to support your opinion, please send.  Thanks!

Edited by sheryl

Most pastors that we've had at various churches have said that tithing means giving 10% to God, and that in can be in any form one chooses. Some to the church, some to certain charities, some to people you would like to help.

• Like 6

I think you could do any of those things, or a combination.

But there are good reasons churches prefer non-designated offerings.  Having extra money for the music program might be great, but when you are going under because a roof repair suddenly comes up, it's pretty frustrating.  One option if you have an idea for a special designated donation - say your dad was a music lover - is talk to the pastor, just to make sure the donation would make sense for the parish.

Most pastors that we've had at various churches have said that tithing means giving 10% to God, and that in can be in any form one chooses. Some to the church, some to certain charities, some to people you would like to help.

This is what multiple Catholic churches I've attended have taught.

For a large lump sum, I would consider giving to our parish's building fund, as we're paying off our "multipurpose" building before we start on a proper sanctuary.

But in reality, I'd probably give to a needs-based, local charity such as Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, or this local organization that helps temporarily house homeless families.

But that's just me. :) I think it's great that you're looking to tithe a gift like that.

Well, when our Pastor is taking an offering and there are visitors, he always makes sure he mentions that visitors can feel free to participate in the offering, but that their tithe belongs to their home church.

That being said, I don't think God's going to frown on you if you disburse this 10% in the best way that you see fit.    If you give it as a "tithe" to your church, you probably can't say what it would be used for.  That would go to the general fund to be used at the discretion of those who keep the books.  

However, I don't see why you couldn't go to your church and say that you have XX amount of dollars that you'd like to put towards XYZ ministry. 

• Like 1

But there are good reasons churches prefer non-designated offerings.  Having extra money for the music program might be great, but when you are going under because a roof repair suddenly comes up, it's pretty frustrating.  One option if you have an idea for a special designated donation - say your dad was a music lover - is talk to the pastor, just to make sure the donation would make sense for the parish.

I second this idea. 

I worked on a fundraising team for a capital campaign, and it was really eye-opening how political charitable donations can be. (I shouldn't have been surprised, really.) I'd previously been a gift-with-earmark kind of donor, but after working on the campaign, I realized how important it is to give my gift freely and prayerfully trust that the money is spent in the best way.

To paraphrase a conversation with a priest on the team: "everyone wants to donate to the poor, but no one gets excited to help pay for the toilet paper in the bathrooms or the parking lot resurfacing."

If a targeted donation is what you feel called to give, then seek out a group specialized in your goal. 

• Like 3

I've never been to a church that was strict about tithing.  And sometimes when I have been a visitor, the pastor has stated that people shouldn't feel a need to contribute, but rather save it for their home church.

Re: setting aside money for a specific purpose - I know someone on the board of a para-church organization. They are grateful for all contributions, of course, but are sometimes frustrated because there may be pressing needs, and money in the bank, but they can't use it because it's all designated gifts for something they can't or don't need to do right away.  A couple of posters gave examples, such as the roof needing repair. 

• Like 1

Personally, I give my tithe (even for large bonuses we get at the end of the year) to my church. The place we go week in and week out and have placed our membership. If I cannot trust the church to spend the money wisely, then I would feel I needed to reconsider whether I could really be a member there. And then, if I feel particularly led to offer to something specific, I give that money above and beyond the tithe. 

• Like 2

Just to open the can of worms: not all Christians think of "tithing" as a part of the Christian faith-and-lifestyle at all... so it's not really something that's cut-and-dried at the most basic level (whether we should tithe, whether it's called tithing). For something that has uncertainty at that level, you really can't proceed to ask more detailed questions about vocabulary such as offering and alms, and expect to be told whether you are "right". Even more so when you ask exactly whether "tithing" (if it even is a thing) is restricted to only the local Church.

The best we can do for you is to tell you whether your use of the terms is consistent with your denomination's stance on these things. Depending on that, you might be "right" about your definitions in your own context. It's just that not all of Christianity uses those words the same ways.

In my context, we don't use those words that way, nor do we use the word "tithe" to describe our charitable giving at all.

• Like 6

Just to open the can of worms: not all Christians think of "tithing" as a part of the Christian faith-and-lifestyle at all... so it's not really something that's cut-and-dried at the most basic level (whether we should tithe, whether it's called tithing). For something that has uncertainty at that level, you really can't proceed to ask more detailed questions about vocabulary such as offering and alms, and expect to be told whether you are "right". Even more so when you ask exactly whether "tithing" (if it even is a thing) is restricted to only the local Church.

The best we can do for you is to tell you whether your use of the terms is consistent with your denomination's stance on these things. Depending on that, you might be "right" about your definitions in your own context. It's just that not all of Christianity uses those words the same ways.

In my context, we don't use those words that way, nor do we use the word "tithe" to describe our charitable giving at all.

So very true, very well said.

If you want to know exactly what the bible teaches about tithing, you will have to do a study on that.

If you want to know what I think - and who am I, right?   :lol: - I would take the portion of the inheritance that I was going to tithe, and give a largish chunk to my church.  Then I would divide the remainder amongst the 2 or 3 charities that I support.

It's a nice problem to have!

Anne

• Like 2

When we tithe we make sure the money goes to those (people or organizations) who are dedicating their lives to God's service.  This can be our church, missionaries, or parachurch organizations supporting what we believe.

Donations we give to other things (education, food, medical, etc) are above and beyond our tithe BUT, of course, the above organizations may also do that as part of their ministry.  The difference is whether we give to it directly or if it were to come from our church's benevolence fund or something - the church decides the latter, not us.

We rarely designate gifts.  We trust those we are giving to to use it how they see best.

YMMV, but I fall back on Romans Chapter 14 for sticking to what we believe and why we do it.  It's between us and God.  God will tell us when/if He prefers something else.

• Like 2

Yay, someone opened the can!  I'm just going to say that tithing is part of the old law and is not a "requirement" under the new covenant.

I once asked a question like this to our priest and he said that the first 10% ought to go to the home (as in regular) church because that is where we are fed.

I suspect this is a question to which the answer varies widely depending on whom you ask.

I'd ask him to point to a scriptural reference (or other reference if your church does not believe in sola scriptura).

If you want to know exactly what the bible teaches about tithing, you will have to do a study on that.

Personally, I'd recommend that for anyone who has questions about tithing. Imo, tithing is not Biblical--although it is often encouraged or pushed by your local church/pastor.  Of course it doesn't mean that you shouldn't be giving, but 10% is not a magic number.  Now that I've helped open that can, I suppose I will try to go back to not commenting on this thread.

:leaving:

• Like 5

I don't know about other churches, but I sometimes see two collections taken at Mass. They might specify what cause the second one is for (i.e. disaster relief for such n such area).

I've never been good about tithing what I felt was appropriate. Part of this is because dh doesn't belong to a church. So how is that supposed to work with our shared finances? Don't ask me.

• Like 2

I will put a plug in for designating funds to specific projects. When we choose to do so, it is sometimes because there are things that we don't want our money to go towards.

For example, a church may over commit to a building project and cut funds for other ministries or projects in order to pay their building loans. If I want to contribute to a specific ministry to make up a portion of that cut, I'm going to do so. If I contribute the same amount of funds to the general fund, then it could get rerouted to pay for the new building, or anything else the church leadership decides to do. I suppor my church through its general fund, but also support a missionary family. I would not want that family to not receive the funds I have contributed, even if the church has a leaky roof.

Churches should anticipate the expenses associated with maintaining their property and set funds aside for capital repairs so they don't have to rely on special donations or shortchange a ministry area to take care of buildings. Churches should not build facilities that they can't take care of through their regular budget.

• Like 2

Different people and groups have different beliefs about tithing so there is no correct answer.

DH believes it should go to the church and only the church, anything more should be an extra donation.

I believe it should go to a charitable or worthy cause, I've seen too many churches mishandle funds, and prefer to anonymously give needed items or cash in a card to people in the local community in need. 

Since we believe the husband is the spiritual head of the household, but my husband also sees my heart on this issue, we give our tithe to the church most weeks but I am free to take from the tithe to give to very pressing needs when I see them.

I think this is one of those issues where the intentions and motivations matter far more than exactly what you do. What He is looking at is your attitude towards Him and towards giving. We believe in tithing 10% and have done so even when unemployed and scraping things together. But even if there is a 'correct' answer, I don't think our tithes 'don't count' because we gave them to a person in need instead of a church or vice versa. Our heart attitude is right (I hope!) and that means more than specifically what actions we take in order to achieve that.

• Like 2

Well i don't tithe as my 100% of my income is needed to maintain our household. I am not going to make my chikdren do without clothes, food and activities unless the minister does the same. Especially since i think a lot of the money is spent on wants rather than needs.

Having said that if i had a chunk to donate i would give some to my church and some to charities i thought would use it well.

• Like 2

This is what I believe on tithing based on my understanding of scripture and from my years of teaching Crown Financial.

Tithing is giving to the Lord.  There is no mention of only giving to your local church.  It is to the Lord and the Lord's work.  For me, that means the greater church around the world.

I do give only to organizations who do work for the Lord.  Mission Organizations/Missionaries gets a large amount of our tithes.  Our church gets some.  As other needs arise, they may get some.

• Like 4

Personally, I give my tithe (even for large bonuses we get at the end of the year) to my church. The place we go week in and week out and have placed our membership. If I cannot trust the church to spend the money wisely, then I would feel I needed to reconsider whether I could really be a member there. And then, if I feel particularly led to offer to something specific, I give that money above and beyond the tithe. 

I give other places.  I do trust my church.  I also grew up as a missionary kid and know many, many ministries and missionaries around the globe doing amazing and wonderful things for the cause of Christ.  I give as the Lord leads, and I don't think for one second that means I don't trust my church or how they spend their monies.  It just means my church can't be involved in every single thing around the globe and neither can I, so I trust that as the Lord lays things on my heart, I respond in obedience and give.

• Like 4

I will put a plug in for designating funds to specific projects. When we choose to do so, it is sometimes because there are things that we don't want our money to go towards.

For example, a church may over commit to a building project and cut funds for other ministries or projects in order to pay their building loans. If I want to contribute to a specific ministry to make up a portion of that cut, I'm going to do so. If I contribute the same amount of funds to the general fund, then it could get rerouted to pay for the new building, or anything else the church leadership decides to do. I suppor my church through its general fund, but also support a missionary family. I would not want that family to not receive the funds I have contributed, even if the church has a leaky roof.

Churches should anticipate the expenses associated with maintaining their property and set funds aside for capital repairs so they don't have to rely on special donations or shortchange a ministry area to take care of buildings. Churches should not build facilities that they can't take care of through their regular budget.

I don't really understand how you how it fits in with what you said about directing money directly to helping ministries?  If everyone decides to direct funds directly to helping ministries, where is the church supposed to get the money to "set aside"?  What happens when there are changes in the congregation or economy - should they just knock down buildings they can no longer afford? 

While some churches do seem far more interested in building flashy infrastructure than doing the work they should, I think church financing is a lot more complicated than you suggest.  And realistically, if the church organization and fabric disappears because of lack of funds, that can significantly impact things like helping ministries.

• Like 3

I don't really understand how you how it fits in with what you said about directing money directly to helping ministries?  If everyone decides to direct funds directly to helping ministries, where is the church supposed to get the money to "set aside"?  What happens when there are changes in the congregation or economy - should they just knock down buildings they can no longer afford? 

While some churches do seem far more interested in building flashy infrastructure than doing the work they should, I think church financing is a lot more complicated than you suggest.  And realistically, if the church organization and fabric disappears because of lack of funds, that can significantly impact things like helping ministries.

One time in our past that we did designate where our funds were to be used (from a one time large set of money we received) it was to set up a benevolence fund at a small church we attended.  The church wanted to save money for a building, so was trying to do that (they rented) and otherwise was just making bills.  However, it's our belief that the church should have some funds to assist members (or others) who need help at some time or another.  We had the one time option of making a gift to set up such a fund and elected to do so.  We did not set it up so that we would know who received the money or when, etc.  We trusted the church with that.  There's just no way they were going to get to that priority on their income alone and had we not designated the money, powers that be could have sent it into their building fund.

IOW there are times... based upon an individual's beliefs/desires with special funds.  Otherwise, I agree with you about regular giving.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied. 

I understand we are not under the law.  That is a good reminder as I may be getting a little legalistic and that is not my heart's desire.  Our church does not "demand" tithing as was mentioned earlier.  Dh and I don't necessarily tithe at all.  And, our offerings are not every week.  With that said a pp mentioned that tithing can be $, food, shelter, etc. 

My reason for asking was to confirm I didn't miss anything about my responsibility with this money.   While "tithing" in the purest form may not be OT; it's still God's money.  HE loves a cheerful giver.  Still, He is a practical God and you are going to feed your baby before giving that extra $10 on a Sunday. 

I scheduled an appointment to meet with our assistant Pastor (we have a large church).  And, I wanted to get his opinion and take that in before posting here. 

Yes, I agree with this.  I mentioned to "G", the assistant Pastor with whom I met, that I want to contribute this money in "faith" and not direct where every penny is spent b/c that would be bossy and it defeats (in a way) the point in tithing/contributing.  However, I mentioned to G that my Dad was an educator and I'd like a small part of the money I will give to go towards the church school.   That would be a percent of the total contribution to the school...not all of it.

If you want to know what I think - and who am I, right?   :lol: - I would take the portion of the inheritance that I was going to tithe, and give a largish chunk to my church.  Then I would divide the remainder amongst the 2 or 3 charities that I support.

It's a nice problem to have!

Anne

That's always been my heart's desire.  Now, I will tweak my plan and still give most to our church and reserve a bit to give to ministries outside of our church. Missionaries, etc.  

Churches should anticipate the expenses associated with maintaining their property and set funds aside for capital repairs so they don't have to rely on special donations or shortchange a ministry area to take care of buildings. Churches should not build facilities that they can't take care of through their regular budget.  YES!

This is true as well.   A Bible study DD and I participated in (CBS) for 10 years would usually receive more $ gifts for the "general" fund and less for the "children's" fund.  The CBS leadership can not take from one to increase the other so they kindly let their students know so that when we make future gifts we can designate those monies to go to children's. 

The New Testament directs believers to set aside money to donate regularly and generously to the needs of the body of Christ, the poor, widows, and orphans.

That's about it.

YES!  I'll give some to our church and some to other groups (ministry, etc).

• Like 3

I think we can pick apart but let's just keep in the Spirit. 

What was mentioned is true.  I see it locally where churches build new buildings and they are BIG!  Is there anything wrong with that? No.  But, the opposite can also be said.  Be a good steward and perhaps buy an existing building, or construct a new building to add to a multi-building church "campus" or renovate. 

I like the best of both mindsets presented here.  To give a portion - step out in faith and let the church decide where to spend/designate the monies.  Also, I want to honor my Dad and direct a portion of that money towards our church school b/c he was an educator.  Also, I'll give directly to a missionary or Christian ministry who will use it wisely.  

• Like 2

This is what I believe on tithing based on my understanding of scripture and from my years of teaching Crown Financial.

Tithing is giving to the Lord.  There is no mention of only giving to your local church.  It is to the Lord and the Lord's work.  For me, that means the greater church around the world.

I do give only to organizations who do work for the Lord.  Mission Organizations/Missionaries gets a large amount of our tithes.  Our church gets some.  As other needs arise, they may get some.

And, Dawn, yes!  Somehow my reply to this was deleted...my hand rested on the keyboard.

Giving to the Lord. 

There is a difference of storehouse vs. "My House" (God's house).

What Christian organization would you recommend?   I can directly contribute to a missionary in our church.

And, Dawn, yes!  Somehow my reply to this was deleted...my hand rested on the keyboard.

Giving to the Lord. 

There is a difference of storehouse vs. "My House" (God's house).

What Christian organization would you recommend?   I can directly contribute to a missionary in our church.

Yes, I can give directly through our church as well to our own missionaries, but I know so many others!

I hate to give suggestions because I know this will be a very small list of the greater good out there, but here are a few I support:

SIM 

Samaratin's Purse

Wycliffe Bible Translators

and then of course most of us have local places, women's shelters, adoption agencies, etc....that locals can recommend.  

There is a local homeless shelter I give to.  Our church is involved and I can give through them as well, but I still give directly as I like that personal connection  and if I give directly I can better specify where the money goes......I can pick up clothing for the kids, bring in coats, or donate directly to getting the kids school uniforms or school supplies.

I can only share my own beliefs about tithing.

We give 10% of our gross increase as tithing to our church (not just the local congregation, but used throughout the world for church infrastructure, humanitarian aid, missionary work, etc.--no paid ministry). Amounts to specific charitable causes (even within our church) are always in addition to tithing--I believe that money is the Lord's and He will direct the use of those funds as He sees fit, and when I want to give to a specific charitable cause, I give it out of my money, not His.

The New Testament directs believers to set aside money to donate regularly and generously to the needs of the body of Christ, the poor, widows, and orphans.

That's about it.

On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come.  1 Cor 16:2

Sounds like tithing to me. 

"Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Cor. 9:7).  

"For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability they gave of their own accord" (2 Cor. 8:3).

Sounds like the New Testament standard is higher, not lower, to me.  You don't just give, you give cheerfully, and beyond your ability.  But it is an internal thing, not to be compelled by the outside. 

When Jesus talks about adultery, for example, he has a higher standard.

Matt 5:27-28Â Â Â Ă¢â‚¬Å“You have heard that it was said, Ă¢â‚¬ËœYou shall not commit adultery.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." 

We don't do animal sacrifices now - we are to "die" to sin and sacrifice our lives.  Higher standard. 

We don't do "eye for an eye" but we now are to turn the other cheek.   

It seems to me that the tithe, just like the law, is now "written on our hearts" and we are called to a higher standard.  YMMV

I believe we are called to tithe and do offerings above that. 

• Like 3

Did you see the part where I said we support our church's general fund? In other words, not all of the money we donate is designated, but some of it is. We do this because we think this particular missionary family needs financial support, no matter what the church budget looks like. If the choice is between fixing a building or making sure people have food to eat, then food it is. We trust the elders and staff to manage the general fund wisely. 

I do think that if a congregation can't maintain it's facilities or property, they should do something drastically different. For some, that might mean selling property, or moving into a smaller building, merging with another congregation or meeting in homes. I don't believe that buildings are necessary for the church to function or to minister to people. They are incredibly convenient, but not necessary. The church is the people, not the building. 

I do realize the complexities of church finances. I have been part of a congregation that has done some creative things over the years as far as buildings go. Our church is debt free and budgets for routine maintenance of the building - painting, carpet, roof, HVAC, elevators, electrical, plumbing, appliances, sound system updates, etc. are all expenses that can be anticipated. We have a large, older building, built in the 1970's and we know that there are things that wear out. In the past seven years or so, we have, for the first time since buying the building in the early 1990's, replaced the carpet and renovated the elevators. A few years prior to that, we had to replace the kitchen appliances, which necessitated some additional work to bring the kitchen up to current codes. We save money because church employees and volunteers do a good bit of the work themselves (they did some painting and replaced the carpet, for example, but the elevator work had to be hired out). 

On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come. 1 Cor 16:2

Sounds like tithing to me.

"Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Cor. 9:7).

"For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability they gave of their own accord" (2 Cor. 8:3).

Sounds like the New Testament standard is higher, not lower, to me. You don't just give, you give cheerfully, and beyond your ability. But it is an internal thing, not to be compelled by the outside.

When Jesus talks about adultery, for example, he has a higher standard.

Matt 5:27-28 Ă¢â‚¬Å“You have heard that it was said, Ă¢â‚¬ËœYou shall not commit adultery.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

We don't do animal sacrifices now - we are to "die" to sin and sacrifice our lives. Higher standard.

We don't do "eye for an eye" but we now are to turn the other cheek.

It seems to me that the tithe, just like the law, is now "written on our hearts" and we are called to a higher standard. YMMV

I believe we are called to tithe and do offerings above that.

If you think that "sounds like tithing" you might enjoy a refresher on tithe law. And NT contexts.

The collection for the poor of Jerusalem was an important aspect of Christian generosity for non-Jerusalem-dwelling believers. Paul was willing to transport it, but not actively fundraise for it during his visits. His instructions were about *how* to accommodate and encourage that collection without causing awkwardness.

Tithing in the OT was carried out periodically, in an agricultural fashion (ie, wool when sheep were sheared, fruit at the time of harvest) not weekly -- and it was calculated strictly, mathematically: because it was a law. It was handed over to priests (to compensate for the fact that priests had no land). There was no deciding. There was no 'cheerful giving' -- it was simple, ordinary, religious taxation in the context of the ancient world.

There are more differences, but, certainly a completely different purpose for the money, plus a completely different process, plus a completely different quantity of money would justify anyone saying, "I don't think we should use one word to discribe these two things." -- Especially condidering how easy it would have been for a Jewish-former-Pharisee to use the wor for "tithe" if he actually intended to imply that his instructions were about how Christans should tithe.

You might say that the "standard" for not tithing is "higher" than the standard for tithing that once was the law of Israel... But that makes it pretty one-dimensional: a scale simply focused on 'how much?' In fact the entire Christian view in money and ownership is revamped by the gospel. It lacks the idea of 'standards'. In a way, it very nearly lacks a concept of 'ownership'. It's just a fundamentally different approach, and I like to recognize that by discouraging people from using 'old words' to try to contain 'new things'.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 2

I am short on time, so I have not read all the other responses. We happened to receive a windfall about ten years ago and discussed what to do about tithing. We regularly tithe to our church out of our normal income; this was extra money, and it was large enough for us to stop and consider carefully what to do.

We gave a portion to a specific ministry at our church. We gave a portion to another faith-based organization that had personal meaning to our family. We gave some smaller amounts to a few other charities that we wanted to support.

In total, the donation was 10% or more of the windfall. We felt that our money would be doing God's work in all of the ways that we used it. Giving to the other charities did not take away from what we normally gave to our church (and the church did get a portion of the windfall tithe.)

• Like 2

Interesting facts.....although not entirely sure who they drew from:

http://healthresearchfunding.org/21-tithing-statistics/

I do know at our church, fewer than half of the families who are members give anything on a regular basis.

I have no idea what it is at our church, but I found your link fascinating - esp #19 & 20...

We don't get legalistic about tithing, but we definitely support our church and a few other Christian organizations - as well as some donations to non-Christian, but still dear to us, causes.  I can't imagine not doing so.

• Like 1

Did you see the part where I said we support our church's general fund? In other words, not all of the money we donate is designated, but some of it is. We do this because we think this particular missionary family needs financial support, no matter what the church budget looks like. If the choice is between fixing a building or making sure people have food to eat, then food it is. We trust the elders and staff to manage the general fund wisely. 

I do think that if a congregation can't maintain it's facilities or property, they should do something drastically different. For some, that might mean selling property, or moving into a smaller building, merging with another congregation or meeting in homes. I don't believe that buildings are necessary for the church to function or to minister to people. They are incredibly convenient, but not necessary. The church is the people, not the building. 

I do realize the complexities of church finances. I have been part of a congregation that has done some creative things over the years as far as buildings go. Our church is debt free and budgets for routine maintenance of the building - painting, carpet, roof, HVAC, elevators, electrical, plumbing, appliances, sound system updates, etc. are all expenses that can be anticipated. We have a large, older building, built in the 1970's and we know that there are things that wear out. In the past seven years or so, we have, for the first time since buying the building in the early 1990's, replaced the carpet and renovated the elevators. A few years prior to that, we had to replace the kitchen appliances, which necessitated some additional work to bring the kitchen up to current codes. We save money because church employees and volunteers do a good bit of the work themselves (they did some painting and replaced the carpet, for example, but the elevator work had to be hired out). 

The older building from the 70's makes me giggle a bit.  The two churches in our parish were built just before 1756 and the other in 1811, the other buildings are of similar age.  Of course its possible to budget, but it is not always possible to do everything you might like to do. 

I disagree that buildings aren't necessary for ministry - that can be true, but it is not always the case - our parish buildings are very functional in our church ministries, providing homes for a lot of different activities.

• Like 1

I disagree that buildings aren't necessary for ministry - that can be true, but it is not always the case - our parish buildings are very functional in our church ministries, providing homes for a lot of different activities.

Yes, ours do as well. The building is very busy with various functions. But realistically, 90% of those activities could take place elsewhere. The 10% that couldn't could definitely be done in a smaller building. Downsizing a church is not and should not be an easy decision, but sometimes a different approach to a ministry can save a lot of money without losing it's effectiveness. 

Let me give an example. There are churches in our area that have soccer ministries as an outreach. The thing is, though, that 90% of the kids on the teams already go to the churches that host these teams. Here's the thing - if the volunteers for that ministry reached out to their neighbors and opened their own yards for the kids to play games and worked on building relationships with the families, then they would save a ton of money on property and field maintenance, not to mention team t-shirts, etc. and the outreach component might actually be more successful because it is personal. 

Things like clothes closets and food banks really benefit from a centralized location, as long as the location is near where the need is.  It would be incredibly difficult to co-ordinate keeping various items in different locations. Counseling centers and daycare centers are other things that lend themselves to needing a physical location, but when it comes down to it, a counseling center is a relatively simple building need and it need not be on the physical campus of the congregation and daycare can be provided in member homes, or off campus as well. Leasing off campus buildings makes sense when building maintenance isn't affordable. 

I'm a bit of an out of the box thinker when it comes to practical things. I realize that what I am saying wouldn't be culturally acceptable within some communities and some congregations. But that doesn't mean that they should maintain the status quo if the status quo really isn't working. 

Hmm. Well, I don't know. There are cases where it makes sense to shut down a parish (though that isn't a purely congregational decision among Anglicans, the buildings usually belong to the diocese, not the parish.) And our building is really very busy, and we already struggle from time to time to rehouse the soup-kitchen when the Hall needs work done.

But I think places have other kinds of values as well.  It means something in the community when places that belong to the community are shut down, especially when they are places that are set aside as sacred space and where the nature and aesthetics of the building are all directed to that end, and especially when the community is one where private places often do not have those characteristics.  The idea that beautiful sacred spaces are only for the well off is a rather pernicious one I'm afraid.

Then there is the likelihood of selling a set of 200 year old heritage buildings to anyone.

We tithe from my DH's income to our church.  However, when I was babysitting and getting paid, I tithed from that small income.  I would put 10% of my pay in a mason jar.    Then, as I would accumulate larger amounts, I would send that money to things like Voice of the Martyrs, Operation Christmas Child, Stand To Reason, and the soldiers & angels fund at our church.

Basically, I feel that giving to anything that furthers the work of Christ is tithing.

Hmm. Well, I don't know. There are cases where it makes sense to shut down a parish (though that isn't a purely congregational decision among Anglicans, the buildings usually belong to the diocese, not the parish.) And our building is really very busy, and we already struggle from time to time to rehouse the soup-kitchen when the Hall needs work done.

But I think places have other kinds of values as well.  It means something in the community when places that belong to the community are shut down, especially when they are places that are set aside as sacred space and where the nature and aesthetics of the building are all directed to that end, and especially when the community is one where private places often do not have those characteristics.  The idea that beautiful sacred spaces are only for the well off is a rather pernicious one I'm afraid.

Then there is the likelihood of selling a set of 200 year old heritage buildings to anyone.

Ah - here's the difference. In my faith, a building or space itself isn't sacred. It's functional. Some are aesthetically pleasing, but that isn't the primary focus. Sacred terminology is reserved for our relationship to God through Christ. Therefore, there are no financial boundaries to sacredness because that is a status that isn't awarded to spaces, traditions or things.  Likewise, community is built on relationships, not on spaces. Less expensive spaces work just as well as expensive ones.  Spaces, like i said earlier, are remarkably convenient things to have and some ministry functions, like your soup kitchen, as I said earlier, benefit from having a dedicated space in an appropriate location. However, there is nothing written that says a ministry has to be in a physical church building. 

Christian views on this vary. One reason is that the New Testament does not mention tithing. 2 Cor 9:6-15 is kind of a core NT text on giving. It contains this verse: 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver  (ETA: Where there is no specific command, I think you must be guided by the Spirit. Human beings often prefer black and white rules laid out neatly)  

The concept of tithing comes from the Old Testament. If I recall correctly, there were actually 3 tithes or 30%. 10% went directly to the poor. The other 20% you'll have to look up to be exact ;) but it went to priests, the temple, offerings,etc. 

Based on 2 Cor  9, I would not worry about this or that interpretation but on what you think is right and that you can do cheerfully after some prayer and mulling it over. 

Edited by Laurie4b