Menu

And I woke up to this: (JAWM)

Halftime Hope

We are buying a bit of a property out in the county, somewhere to park ourselves until dh retires.

Dear [realtor],

This is to bring to your attention that on the above subject property, vendor has reported that there are  rattle snakes at the property.

So kindly request you to reach out the prospective buyer and all concerned parties to be extra cautious while they visit the property.

PPI team is work on the removal of the snake.

Thank you,

[seller]

We've tromped all over the lot...yeesh.

Edited by Halftime Hope

I would expect any rural or semi rural property in certain parts of the country to potentially have rattlesnakes.  I'm not even sure why this is something to be reported.

Silly me.  I forgot that I should put a JAWM on my title for this thread.  :rolleyes:

It may be very matter of fact for you and the context you are accustomed to, but clearly, it is worth noting for the realty company -- they are sending out someone to trap and remove the snakes. It's not out of the kindness of their hearts, that much is clear from having dealt with them thus far, but because of liability.

Closing is Monday.  We will probably delay closing until we get a report from the pest removal company.

It was a bit of a shock to me, because rattle snakes are not endemic in this area. And I have a deaf dog.

• Like 2

Other people don't mind snakes but they frighten me.  Dh has known since day one that if I see a snake, the For Sale sign goes up. Luckily I live on the IL/WI border and haven't ever seen a snake in our town. 

I grew up with scorpions and black widows occasionally getting in the house but for some reason snakes are past my limit. 

I completely understand that you're not happy with the news.   :grouphug:

YUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate snakes. So much. (I blame the first Trixie Belden book -- who wouldn't hate snakes after that?)

We have an old farmhouse in the country, so we get mice sometimes and keep traps set. I was complaining about this, and DH reminded me that we could have snakes instead. He says that he's been in lots of old houses and has seen snakes in every attic, except for ours. Okay, then, I'll take mice any day!

A few years ago, DH took the big three hiking, and they saw a rattlesnake, thought thankfully with plenty of advance notice. DS2 was three or four. His comment on the whole thing: "Nake. Bad." Yes, indeed.

• Like 2

We are buying a bit of a property out in the county, somewhere to park ourselves until dh retires.

Dear [realtor],

This is to bring to your attention that on the above subject property, vendor has reported that there are  rattle snakes at the property.

So kindly request you to reach out the prospective buyer and all concerned parties to be extra cautious while they visit the property.

Thank you,

[seller]

at least they warned you and are trying to do something about it.

there's a case pending where the real estate agent (the seller's daughter) did NOT disclose the house was infested with rat snakes that is nigh on impossible to get rid of short of knocking it down and starting over. they didn't find out just how bad it was until they started ripping out walls. they had to move out for safety.

the RE and her mom are being sued and deny knowing about the snakes.  yeah. right.

eta: I'd be asking questions/doing research on how easy it is to get rid of rattle snakes. I'd have to be satisfied before completing the sale.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Good times! My guess is that they were out there, got surprised by a snake, and thought they'd better warn you before you went out there too. I'd expect them to be somewhere on any good-sized piece of property in the east, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be on the path between the house and the car. Definitely worth a heads up.

Snakes are scary man! I live in the burbs and we've had two so far. Two rattlers i mean, loads of harmless ones. But let me tell you this! One of them was out in the road getting his backside handed to him by two crows. It was crazy. He got caught out in an open spece and couldn't get uncoiled long enough to get away from them. The crows were clearly working together and basically ended up pecking him to death.

So channel your inner crow :)

Edited by OKBud

How do you remove all the snakes from property? They can hide pretty good, so even if theye catch a few, won't there still be more or won't more just move in? I guess I can understand trying to rid of the ones you do know about, but as for deaf dog, I still wouldn't let him loose on the land.

• Like 2

as I was reading about the annapolis house that is infested with the rat snakes - I came across another house in rexburg idaho infested with garter snakes .. (both are unihabitable, and so loaded with snake pheromones, they can't get rid of them. snakes will keep coming back.)

If you still really want this property, I would get my own snake inspector to determine if this is a hibernation spot (in which case, it should be considered unbuildable), and how many snakes there likely *really* are.  just becasue they've only seen one, doens't mean there aren't alot more. I also wouldn't believe they were telling the truth just because they say "oh, we got rid of the snakes".  in both the previous mentions - the sellers/RE lied and said the reports from previous tenents/residents/neighbors that there were snakes were lies to break leases, etc.

• Like 4

Ugh.  Yuck.  Snakes.  :leaving:  I am petrified of them.  PETRIFIED.

We bought our house and it wasn't until after all the papers were signed that we realized the pond down the street had this little itty bitty sign reading "Caution:  Poisonous Snakes."  :svengo:  I have had one in my KITCHEN.  :svengo:  :svengo:  :svengo:

About your dog.  I would assume your dog would catch the snake's scent.  We had a deaf dog and he could always catch the scent of a critter before the rest of us would even know it was there. 

Anyway, I feel your pain and understand your angst. 

• Like 1

I live in an area where it's safe to assume there are rattlesnakes in the rural areas, but it would still be alarming to get a report like that of a specific problem. Knowing they're probably out there isn't the same as knowing there's one by your front porch, which was the case for a friend this summer. It's kind of like how I know we have tarantulas here but completely freaked out when DD spotted one crossing the highway and I turned the car around to investigate. Yup. That's what it was.

I grew up with undeveloped hills as our backyard and spent my entire childhood out there playing Laura Ingalls and pioneer girl, barefoot and carefree despite all the rattlers. I think the only time I paid extra attention was when rock hopping, since they like to sun themselves on the boulders. Really, you'll know if you get too close. :)

My brother would do them in when they were too close to the house (like on the doorstep) but otherwise we just lived with them. I can't begin to imagine how you could rid an entire property of them? I'm not exactly not scared of snakes, but as far as they go rattlers are some of the least worrisome IMO.

• Like 2

If they are eastern diamondbacks, then they are not aggressive snakes. My dog stepped on one a few years ago, and it just slithered off into the woods. They are common here, so I guess I am accustomed to their presence. I am not disagreeing with you, because you need to do what you are comfortable with.

I don't love rattlesnakes either. Thankfully they're not highly aggressive and avoid people and noise. I agree cats seem to help keep the population down, we had one in particular that liked to *play* with the rattlers.

Dear [realtor],

Thank you,

[seller]

Snake?  Or SnakeS? 

Which is it.  The latter would concern me.   I remember an "Infested" episode where the people had to leave their home as it was entirely infested with snakes. 

• Like 1

as I was reading about the annapolis house that is infested with the rat snakes - I came across another house in rexburg idaho infested with garter snakes .. (both are unihabitable, and so loaded with snake pheromones, they can't get rid of them. snakes will keep coming back.)

If you still really want this property, I would get my own snake inspector to determine if this is a hibernation spot (in which case, it should be considered unbuildable), and how many snakes there likely *really* are.  just becasue they've only seen one, doens't mean there aren't alot more. I also wouldn't believe they were telling the truth just because they say "oh, we got rid of the snakes".  in both the previous mentions - the sellers/RE lied and said the reports from previous tenents/residents/neighbors that there were snakes were lies to break leases, etc.

This!  It might be a random snake away from his friends.  Find out!

Silly me.  I forgot that I should put a JAWM on my title for this thread.  :rolleyes:

It may be very matter of fact for you and the context you are accustomed to, but clearly, it is worth noting for the realty company -- they are sending out someone to trap and remove the snakes. It's not out of the kindness of their hearts, that much is clear from having dealt with them thus far, but because of liability.

Closing is Monday.  We will probably delay closing until we get a report from the pest removal company.

It was a bit of a shock to me, because rattle snakes are not endemic in this area. And I have a deaf dog.

are they on the "property" (where you'd want to build) or anywhere near an existing house?

My original impression when you posted was you were buying a building lot with plans to build.  if this is an existing house - I'd be incredibly leary.  find out exactly where the snake den is - also understand if there is a *den*, the likelihood of getting rid of them is greatly reduced. (some cases impossible.) snakes leave pheromones - and they will return to that den.  this time of year they should be in hibernation and quiet. the fact they saw any in DECEMBER is very concerning.  what will happen when temps warm and they come out of hibernation?  how many more are there?  they like some where warm for hibernating . . . .

I would have my own expert - and if the snakes are anywhere near the house/(espcially if they are IN the house) I'd be willing to walk away.  those two previous cases I mentioned - one couple declared bankruptcy to get out of the mortgage on the uninhabitable house.  the other couple also bought in Dec - and by april they were outhave spent $61K just trying to get rid of the snakes.  they are now suing the seller & her dd/RE (who lives next door) for $2M to recoup costs -as well as the fact they had to moveout four months later when the snakes came out of hibernation.  they only learned just how bad it was when they started ripping out walls specifically to look for and remove the snakes.

I would NOT take any assurance from the seller there are no more snakes.  I just wouldn't.  do your own research and hire your own expert.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

It is a lot with a tear-down mobile home and several low brush piles on it, all of which will be torn down and carted off--completely clean--before we build something on it.  We will also have some filling and grading done on part of the property.  We know there is an opossum or raccoon, something big, living inside the mobile home and leaving piles on the carpet.  (Tear. Down.)

The "vendors" were almost certainly the surveyors.  I have spoken with the receptionist at the surveyors, and she was very helpful.  I'm pretty sure she will go to bat for me and find out *where* on the property the men saw the snake(s). If it was not the surveyors, I'll have to find out from the title company who saw what where.

I may have to get a cat or two.  :-)  Never thought those words would come out of my mouth!

ETA:  the trees and the sloping hillside make the property pretty.  It just needs some TLC. 

I love snakes but rattle snakes (and copperheads) scare the crap out of me.  We had a big issue with Copperheads on our property growing up, my parents did everything they could think of, finally a huge black snake showed up/moved in down by the garden (where the copperheads were) and they were all gone within a short time.  Big snake probably ate all the rodents so no more food for the copperheads.....

ETA-Can you have it written into the contract that if the snake problem continues this Spring/Summer the Seller or "Vendor" will return to do another removal? Also make sure they are treating the snakes food source.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Egads, and they knew people were out there?

I hope you find a nice, rattlesnake-free lot to park yourselves.

No.  The property has been abandoned for about a year.  It was foreclosed in the last couple of months, and closing is next week.

The rattlesnakes were most likely found in the last week by the surveyors; I can find out on Monday.  We don't know where they were on the property. 

No.  The property has been abandoned for about a year.  It was foreclosed in the last couple of months, and closing is next week.

The rattlesnakes were most likely found in the last week by the surveyors; I can find out on Monday.  We don't know where they were on the property. 

the property was abandoned?  why?  (in this situation, I would NOT take the bank's/RE word for why it was abandoned - talk to neighbors, see if you can find the previous owner, etc.)

in the case I mentioned above, the couple chose to "abandon" the snake infested property, the bank forclosed, and put it back on the market. again.  now the neighbors tell anyone looking at it it's infested with snakes to prevent anyone else buying it.

I'd get alot more information before closing.  and be ready to walk away.

Edited by gardenmom5

If you've had a hard freeze and it's fairly chilly, you probably have until Feb or so before they'll be active. The good news about rattlesnakes is that they actually are more communal, so chances are high that if they can find the den, they can remove all the snakes. (Other species are not communal, so are more likely to be scattered).

If you are OK with snakes, just not with venomous snakes,you may want to see if you can get some King snakes relocated to your property. They eat other snakes, and are non-venomous. Since you know there is a nearby denning site for rattlers, adding more predators may help to keep your family safe. (If you're in FL, GA, or AL, there are programs to release Eastern Indigo Snakes into the wild as well, and if you agree to protect them, they often need more sites. Indigos do a great job of taking care of venomous snakes, naturally, and are harmless to humans).

And please, if you see/hear a rattle snake, do not try to kill it yourself. Statistically, you are 80% more likely to get bitten when trying to kill (or move) a venomous snake than if you just step back. Wear jeans (and boots if you have them) outside in the meantime, because denim provides significant protection against North American snakes. If you have dogs, see if you can get them snake avoidance training (basically training them to point snakes, not hunt them) because this will help keep them safe (and dogs so trained also can help protect their owners because their noses can detect where the snakes are and point them out-especially for children, that's a good thing).

• Like 5

Yes, we know why the property was abandoned. 

The older couple had no children.  The neighbors got along well with them and spoke with us about how much they missed having them there. The gentleman died, and the old lady was taken in by her nephew who lives in another part of the state (I know exactly where she is, and it's a long way from here).  The mobile home was long past its life-span, although you can tell it was immaculately kept.  The neighbors didn't know this, but we can tell from the public documents that they were quite a bit underwater in the mortgage, so that explains why she "walked away."

• Like 2

If you've had a hard freeze and it's fairly chilly, you probably have until Feb or so before they'll be active. The good news about rattlesnakes is that they actually are more communal, so chances are high that if they can find the den, they can remove all the snakes. (Other species are not communal, so are more likely to be scattered).

If you are OK with snakes, just not with venomous snakes,you may want to see if you can get some King snakes relocated to your property. They eat other snakes, and are non-venomous. Since you know there is a nearby denning site for rattlers, adding more predators may help to keep your family safe. (If you're in FL, GA, or AL, there are programs to release Eastern Indigo Snakes into the wild as well, and if you agree to protect them, they often need more sites. Indigos do a great job of taking care of venomous snakes, naturally, and are harmless to humans).

And please, if you see/hear a rattle snake, do not try to kill it yourself. Statistically, you are 80% more likely to get bitten when trying to kill (or move) a venomous snake than if you just step back. Wear jeans (and boots if you have them) outside in the meantime, because denim provides significant protection against North American snakes. If you have dogs, see if you can get them snake avoidance training (basically training them to point snakes, not hunt them) because this will help keep them safe (and dogs so trained also can help protect their owners because their noses can detect where the snakes are and point them out-especially for children, that's a good thing).

Thank you for this helpful information.

It is a lot with a tear-down mobile home and several low brush piles on it, all of which will be torn down and carted off--completely clean--before we build something on it.  We will also have some filling and grading done on part of the property.  We know there is an opossum or raccoon, something big, living inside the mobile home and leaving piles on the carpet.  (Tear. Down.)

The "vendors" were almost certainly the surveyors.  I have spoken with the receptionist at the surveyors, and she was very helpful.  I'm pretty sure she will go to bat for me and find out *where* on the property the men saw the snake(s). If it was not the surveyors, I'll have to find out from the title company who saw what where.

I may have to get a cat or two.  :-)  Never thought those words would come out of my mouth!

ETA:  the trees and the sloping hillside make the property pretty.  It just needs some TLC. 

find out where the den is.  the couple in annapolis - were told by snake experts the property would have to be vacant (meaning, tear down the existing house, which was the den) for 15 years before they could count on the snakes not returning.

get your own expert. - run, don't walk, to a snake expert. and don't close without talking to one.

Rattlesnakes are unlikely to be in a human dwelling unless it's been vacant a LONG time. They tend to prefer natural caves and to stay away from humans. The snakes likely to go inside are the colubrids-rat snakes, pine snakes, fox snakes, and so on-the same snakes that often live in barns. I'm not going to say it's not possible, only that you usually don't even see rattlesnakes in long abandoned houses, let alone recently occupied ones.

• Like 3

We have copperheads but no rattlesnakes. We have never been bitten but a lady working on the septic system was bitten by a copperhead. Jeans and heavy boots are your friend.

If you tear down the mobile and move the brush piles, I don't think you will have problems. Yes, get guineas hens. They eat snakes. We have raccoons, possums, skunks, coyotes, and saw one bobcat. None of them has ever harmed us. Our dog was skunk sprayed once through the fence. We've lived here for 15 years on a little over 4 acres.

• Like 3