Menu

Movie quotes you use

I forgot about the mashed potatoes line!

We quote many movies constantly, but mostly we use:

- any line from Napoleon Dynamite (especially "I didn't understand a word you just said)

- any line from Nacho Libre (especially "ees for fun")

- " keep it secret keep it safe" from LOTR. I hve no idea why we use this one, but we do. Alot.

I can just make the face from the part of French Kiss when Meg Ryan (impersonating the French guy) says, "You people make my a$$ twitch," & dh knows what I mean. Funny thing is, *he* ends up saying it. Heh heh.

I don't get along well w/ others. Or in crowds. Or w/ small talk. :glare: The face is about like that. :lol:

DD is a Drama Queen, as are the weathermen in Cincinnati. our favorite line is from 6 Days 7 Nights....Harrison Ford asks the girl, would you feel better if I ran around waving my hands in the hair screaming Oh S**T we're all goin to die!

DH calls me his #1, from Star Trek. I'm not sure if it's the movie or the TV show, and we also use the phrase 'Make It So'

MANY from the Monty Python movies. Too many to count. He wanted to put the P&n1s song on my cell phone. Now wouldn't you love to hear that ring during church?!?!

I can just make the face from the part of French Kiss when Meg Ryan (impersonating the French guy) says, "You people make my a$$ twitch," & dh knows what I mean. Funny thing is, *he* ends up saying it. Heh heh.

I don't get along well w/ others. Or in crowds. Or w/ small talk. :glare: The face is about like that. :lol:

Love that movie! I know exactly the face you are making!

We quote extensively from The Holy Grail, Oh Brother!, The Princess Bride, Napoleon Dynamite and many others.

Raising Arizona:

So many social engagements...so little time.

Nobody in this house sleeps naked.

We got a family now, things gonna chaaaaange.

Ok, then.

Napoleon Dynamite :

Don't be jealous that I've been online chatting with babes all day.

My lips hurt real bad.

I'm going to build her a cake.

Tina! You fat lard! Come get some dinner!

Vacation:

Seriously, clark?

Go do your own front.

How much do I owe you? How much you got?

Best in Show:

I'm going to punch you in the eye until it turns to jelly. I'll stab you with forks until you bleed, how about that?

Peanut. Hazelnut. Macadamia nut. Cashew nut. Pistachio nut. RED pistachio nut. All natural WHITE pistachio nut...

Where are you from, like Nor... Norland?

Babymama:

Can I just spray a little Pam down there before the baby comes out?

Dh and I cracked up one time in church when the pastor said something about "historical documents." Galaxy Quest. We have found opportunities to use that phrase :-)

"Be excellent to each other," "Major ugly dudes," and "Remember the [insert item]." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

We say "indeed" all the time...Stargate SG-1

A dozen or so from Ferris Buehler's Day Off.

And the Princess Bride. We can have whole conversations with nothing except quotes from that.

"You not making any sense at'all." From Pirates.

ok, two.. Girls helping now..

"Hello Poppet" Also Pirates.

"Ignore the bird, follow the river." Willow

"Albuquerque. I can do it too. Snorkel." National Treasure.

If dh were here, we'd have lots.

ETA: "Join the dark side, we have cookies" Space Balls

From Lion King 1 1/2, I think:

"Shall we run for our lives?" "Oh, yes, let's."

From My Favorite Year with Peter O'Toole and Mark Linn-Baker:

O'Toole (in that most excellent dignified accent of his) "Stone, in a few moments I shall require a diversion."

I'm sure there are tons more, but I just can't think of them at the moment.

From Star Wars me to my dd, "My young padawan." and "Do or not...there is no try."

We do those.

Also, from Monty Python:

"It's only a flesh wound."

"Help, help, I'm being repressed."

"Red, no, blue, no ahhhhh....."

And the one that seems to get the most play around here, from Talladega Nights (of all things):

"Help me baby Jesus, help me Allah, help me Tom Cruise".

My favorite for years was from an old Tom Cruise movie:

"I've got a trig mid-term tomorrow and I'm being chased by Guido the killer pimp".

It just seems appropriate for every completely screwed up situation.

asta

We do those.

Also, from Monty Python:

"Help, help, I'm being repressed."

"Red, no, blue, no ahhhhh....."

This is us, too. Now that dd has finally seen it she can understand the other half of our conversations.

Parenthood:

'I thought you looked familiar!' ...in a really loud voice (after her date says he was at Woodstock)

Parenthood:

'I thought you looked familiar!' ...in a really loud voice (after her date says he was at Woodstock)

I just used this quote on this board the other day! :lol:

Around here, we pretty much communicate exclusively in quotes. ;) I won't try your patience with all the lines that come up in a day, but here are lines that we employ regularly not just for humor but in ordinary situations:

Let me be rightly understood. ~P&P

We are #1. All others are #2. Or lower. ~Mystery Men

How delightfully eccentric while simultaneously being a complete waste of our time. ~Mystery Men

BIG mistake! ~Mystery Men

Is it a perfect plan? Nnnnnno. But I think that's what I like about it. ~Mystery Men

Okay, come in for the real thing. Get in here for the real thing. ~Wedding Crashers

That was a he** of a thing. ~Galaxy Quest

See, that's your problem [fill in the blank with someone's name]. You were never serious about the craft. ~Galaxy Quest

It's the simple things in life you treasure. ~Galaxy Quest

I'm just gonna rest my eyes for a moment. But go on--I'm listening. ~Galaxy Quest

And [fill in the blank with some poor sap's name], make sure you get yourself somethin' real nice. ~Christmas Vacation

This is a complex set of variables. ~ST:TNG

A warrior's drink! ~ST:TNG

The circle of trust. ~Meet the Parents

Snap out of it! ~Moonstruck

Who's dead? ~Moonstruck

Old man [or name of someone], you give those dogs another plate of my food [or fill in with whatever said person is doing that is ticking you off] and I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead. ~Moonstruck

Zip, boom, bonjour--I'm back in business. ~French Kiss

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ~Princess Bride

Get used to disappointment. ~Princess Bride

[Name of person], have you ever been to a Turkish prison? ~Airplane

And don't call me Shirley. ~Airplane

Nothing is written. ~Lawrence of Arabia

I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse can stop [fill in the blank with some event]. ~Firefly

Time for some thrilling heroics. ~Firefly

Big da*n heroes. ~Firefly

I'd forgotten you're moonlighting as a criminal mastermind now. Got your next heist planned? ~Firefly

I can kill you with my brain. ~Firefly

[Fill in the name of someone], what in the sphincter of he** are you playin' at?! ~Firefly

Shiny! ~Firefly

Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint. ~Firefly

Those are off the top of my head. It's sad, isn't it? :D

From Princess Bride: "Ma-wiiiidge....that SAcred insti-thution..." I'm not sure in what kind of conversation we use this, but it comes up a lot, and never ceases to make us giggle.

We also quote lots of Yoda, or at least we change sentences into Yoda-speak, reversing subjects & predicates.

Dh quotes Monty Python to the point where I think I'm actually now familiar with movies I've never seen. :glare:

Fun thread--enjoyable reading!

- " keep it secret keep it safe" from LOTR. I hve no idea why we use this one, but we do. Alot.

Our favorite nonsense line from LOTR is "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard."

also anything from Princess Bride. Dc throw around a few from ToyStory and Bug's Life.

ETA: Of course, dc also love to quote Shrek "Better out than in, I always say." at the opportune moments.

We can practically hold a whole conversation in quotes. Sometimes we quote something then look at each other trying to remember where it came from. Biggies though - definitely Napoleon Dynamite, Tommy Boy ("I think your brain has a thick candy shell" "Your...your brain has the shell on it" "Are you talking?")....there's just too many to list lol

"What're we s'pose to do, you moron?"

"Lighten up, Francis"

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

from Animal House,

and,

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." -Blues Bros

Here are some that pop up in our family quite often!!

"Poor Ceckles" -- from Finding Nemo -- whenever we lose one of our aquarium fish

"Eddie says that, after the baby's born, I can quit one of my night jobs." -- from National Lampoon's Vacation -- said whenever I'm feeling overworked at home.

"Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" -- from Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- said by my children whenever I ask them to do a chore they don't like ;)

"I suffer from short term memory loss. It runs in my family. At least...I think it does. Hmmm... Where ARE they?" -- from Finding Nemo -- said by my children whenever they can't remember something they're asked about during school. :)

Movie lines are very popular in our house. Forrest Gump is good for hours of entertainment. My son does a great Forrest Gump imitation.

"That's a fine idea."

"You ain't got no legs, Lt. Dan."

"Life is like a box of chocolates......."

"Mama said these are my magic shoes."

"It's a household name."

"And that's all I got to say about that."

"Bubba was my best good friend."

"I can run like the wind blows."

The list is never-ending.

"You look angry. Click your pen." Music and Lyrics

My daughter loves the mashed potato line from While You Were Sleeping.

Lots of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings quotes. My son also does a great Smeagol/Gollum. In high school, kids would pay him for that imitation. LOL

"Even the wisest cannot tell."

"Do or not do, there is no try."

Where's your sister? "She has fallen into shadow."

My daughters have an entire scene memorized from Flushed Away. Something about some mice who want a puppy.

And now I have to endure references to "Harvey" since my DH and DD watched that movie the other day.

J

"You WILL be assimilated. Resistance is futile." - from one of the Star Trek movies

We used to go to a church that had a Minister of Assimilation. She was supposed to make new members feel welcome and fit in and all that. Dh and I were stunned. Didn't anyone at the church ever watch ST:NG? We used to look at each other and say, "Resistance is futile" a lot, and giggle. :lol:

Sadly, at this phase in our children's lives, we use a lot of quotes from Barbie movies. "Well, hello, there, Berry!" Barry White did the voice when Bibble ate a particular berry in Fairytopia: Mermaidia and it was so funny.

"Honey, where's my super suit?" We say this entire little scene from The Incredibles. Cracks us up every time.

"Well, that's better than a whack in the eye with a rusty poker!" Not a movie line, but a line from Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince when Dumbledore is interviewing the head of the orphanage where Tom Riddle grew up. We have the audio and Jim Dale's voice for the woman is so funny. We like to say it with our horrible English accents and everything.

From The Princess Bride:

- Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

- Anybody want a peanut?

- He's only mostly dead.

- Humperdink! Humperdink! Humperdink! (Really, you'd be surprised how ofter that one comes up.)

- R.O.U.S.'s.

- Inconceivable.

- I do not think that word means what you think it means.

From Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the original film):

- And you caught it.

- You're floating!

- . . . a member of the hairy mole club.

- Now it's retro.

From Galaxy Quest:

- Oh, that's not right.

- Hit it with a rock!

- Never give up. Never surrender.

From Willow:

- You really are great!

- Not a woman!

- Tempting . . . but no.

- We go that way!

- You are drunk, and when you are drunk you forget that I am the leader.

From Star Wars:

- I suggest a new strategy: Let the wookie win.

- (Said with great drama) I know. (Usually right after I tell my son I love him.)

- I have a very bad feeling about this.

- Never tell me the odds.

- Don't get cocky, Kid.

From The Indredibles:

- It's time to engage!

- What are you waiting for? I don't know, something amazing I guess.

- Your baby has special needs.

- That was totally wicked!

From Real Genius:

- Can I knit you a sweater?

- (Oooh, this one's a bit hard to describe. There's that scene where they're all sitting around the table studying and one student just loses it, gets up and screams and runs out of the room. We do that scream sometimes.)

- It's a moral imperative.

- If I wear them anywhere else, they chafe.

- Smart People on Ice!

From Some Like It Hot:

- Nobody's perfect.

From Clue:

- I am your singing telegram. (Bang!)

- Flames . . . on the sides of my face . . .

From Roger Rabbit:

-All the times you pulled my ears?

- Only when it was funny.

- I'm gonna kill the rabbit.

From Indiana Jones:

- It's not the years, it's the mileage.

- Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? (I know, cliche, but we do use it.)

From Stripes:

- The Aunt Jeminia Treatment

- Urban Assault Vehicle

From Short Circuit:

- Need more input!

- No disassemble, Stephanie!

From Victor/Victoria:

- That's an infantile evasion.

From Addams Family / Addams Family Values:

- Debbie? Pastels?

- The Happiness Hut

- I'm not perky, but I want to be.

- Gary's Vision

- Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

From various Star Trek films:

- Colorful metaphors

- Nuclear wessels

- Shakespeare in the original Klingon

From The Black Cauldron:

- Munchies and crunchies in here somewhere.

From Toy Story:

- You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

From Beetlejuice:

- Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

- It just keeps getting funnier every time I see it!

- Sand worms: You hate 'em, right?

There's more, but I think that's embarassing enough.

We say "There is no crying in baseball" for just about anything, esp when any of us say "I don't waaaaaaaaant to!" from League of Their Own

Another fav is "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming" (when frustrated) from Finding Nemo.

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" (when we agree) from Casablanca.

"Oh sir, the devil has the people by the throat" (when we are feeling sorry for ourselves) from Casablanca.

"Yeah, I want ten just like him" (when we are aggravated by a person's annoyances) from League of Their Own.

"Why did you come to Casablanca? Ubscond with the church funds? Run off with the senator's wife? I like to think you killed a man-- it's the romantic in me". Rick: "I came to Casablanca for the waters". "The waters? We're in a desert!" Rick: "I was misinformed". (When we are without excuse). Obviously from Casablanca.

Someone sent me a piece of Facebook flair that says, "I speak in movies quotes"... we quote movies a lot. Here are some of our favorites:

"Have fun stormin' the castle!" -Princess Bride

Response to someone saying, "I'm lost" or something similar: "Have you tried Hare Krishna?" - The Muppet Movie

"They don't look like Presbyterians to me." -ibid (actually, this probably gets said more of us than by us :D )

"Why can't I have a normal boyfriend?" -As Good As It Gets

"Good times. Noodle salad." -ibid

"Cheese me no like-y." - Emperor's New Groove

"Yay! I'm a llama again!" -ibid

"Why do we even have that lever?!" - ibid

"By all accounts, it doesn't make sense." -ibid

"Have fun exploring the infinite abyss." - Garden State

"No, he was just funny lookin'" - Fargo

"Hey, you got Arby's all over me." - Fargo

"D*mn! We're in a tight spot!" - Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

"I'm with you fellers." -ibid

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mud." - Wile E. Coyote, Loony Tunes (technically not a movie, but we quote it a lot)

"Next time you stab me in the back, do it to my face." - Firefly (also not technically a movie, but...)

"Get out!" [with accompanying chest shove] - Seinfeld (I see a pattern emerging)

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." - Silence of the Lambs (making sure to properly mis-pronouce "chianti")

"Gotta break bread with your m'shpukah." - Cars

"You're the sh*t!" -Serendipity

"How could you miss, he was three feet in front of you?!" -Mulan

"Just keep swimming... just keep swimming..." - Finding Nemo

"I don't wanna know whacha gotta do." -ibid

"Take that thing back where it came from, or so help me...!" -Monsters, Inc.

"Don't you shoot that green sh*t at me!" - Independence Day

From The Gods Must Be Crazy I and II:

"It stopped." "I noticed."

"Are you sure it stopped?" "Yes. Didn't you notice?"

"So that's how this thing got up in the tree?" "I don't want to talk about it."

"I said, 'Bring it over. Not bring it over.'"

"You swat people." (Rubbing back of head.)

"You put rocks in that thing?!?"

"Ai yai yai yai yai!"

LOTR:

"Roast Chicken?!?"

"Nobody tosses a dwarf."

"It comes in pints?"

Princess Bride:

The whole conversation involving, "Anybody want a peanut?"

"Get used to disappointment."

"He's only mostly dead."

"Twoo luhv."

"As you wish."

"I don't thinka that means what you thinka that means."

"Fezzig. Jog his memory."

"Have fun stormin the castle!"

My Big Fat Greek Wedding:

"I look like a snowbeast."

"Put some Windex on it."

Monty Python:

"Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

"Run away! Run away!"

I've wondered before if movie quotes are sort of filling in the gap left by a lack of poetry memorization in our culture. In books about western society around the turn of the last century people seemed to recognize "kindred spirits" by the poetry they quoted. These days it seems to be movie lines.

What is society coming to?:lol:

<sigh> If only that were the worst . . .

Mama Anna

"And yet I am unmoved," said when a child is asking for something.

"But I never complain," said after I've been whining about something.

From Breakfast Club:

"Smoke up, Johnny." My dh says this when we pass a car and someone is smoking.

"He'll get up, we'll all get up. It'll be anarchy."

My absolute favorite is "I give this a sphincter factor of 9.5." from "The Abyss." Unfortunately, I guess no one ever saw the movie, 'cause few ever "get it."

I saw that movie. In fact, it's been playing almost as much as Die Hard here lately on Fox Movies, I think :-o But I don't remember that line. Next time I watch it I'll pay more attention :-)

Oh! I thought of a few more that we use regularly:

What an infernal piece of bad luck for you. ~Hornblower

I congratulate you on your perspicacity, sir! ~Hornblower

By the by.... ~Hornblower

I just want to stay here where it's cozy. ~Emma (1996)

Sit back and kindly refrain from the intimacy of whispering. ~Emma

Better be without sense than misapply it as you do. ~Emma

There is a shocking lack of [fill in whatever there is a shocking lack of]. ~Emma

Badly done, [fill in the name of person who has done something badly]! ~Emma

I gots to know. ~Dirty Harry

What we've got here is a failure to communicate. ~Cool Hand Luke

We ain't got no badges--we don't need no badges. We don't need no stinkin' badges! ~Treasure of the Sierra Madre/Blazing Saddles

And finally...

I'm wasted on cross country! We dwarves are natural sprinters. ~LOTR

I love the movies! :lurk5:

"Have fun stormin' the castle!" -Princess Bride

Oh. My. Gosh.

I can't believe I forgot this one. We say this at least 50% of the time when some sub-set of the family is leaving the house. And whoever is staying home must do the response:

You think it'll work?

It'd take a miracle.

Honestly, I don't know how I could have forgotten that one.

Others that should have made my list:

Bear left. Frog right. -- The Muppet Movie

I'm heading to New York to break into public television. -- Ditto

These aren't the droids [or insert whatever word is appropriate] you're looking for. -- Star Wars

Breakfast Club

Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Hey, how come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up, we'll all get up, it'll be anarchy.

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?

[Richard Vernon places magazine rack in front of door to hold it open]

John Bender: That's very clever, sir. But what if there's a fire? I think violating fire codes and endangering the lives of children would be unwise at this juncture in your career, sir. (I have this as our youth pastors ringtone)

Princess Bride

Good heavens. Are you still trying to win?

DEATH FIRST

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means

I could do that. I have some rope up here, but I do not think you would accept my help, since I am only waiting around to kill you

No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry' Humperdinck in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape... after I kill Count Rugen.

Westley: That doesn't leave much time for dilly-dallying.

Firefly:

Cap'n'll have a plan... always does.

That's good right?

It's possible you're not recalling some of the cap'n's previous plans..

"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful." "Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month.

"Well, you were right about this being a bad idea."

"Thanks for sayin', sir."

"Dear Diary...today I was pompous and my sister was crazy." (flips page) "Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

Arthur

Bitterman! Do you want to double your salary?

Yes sir!

Then open that door!

It's so small, they recently had the whole country carpeted

I look forward to your next syllable with great eagerness.

I often think... fish must get awful tired of sea food. What are you thoughts, Hobson?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Do you want me to answer that, or shall I just glare?"

"You know, people underestimate the value of a good ramble."

"I don't know what everyone's talking about, that outfit doesn't make you look like a hooker."

"I'm fine. I mean, I'm not running around, wind in my hair, the hills are alive with the sound of music fine, but..."

your mouth is open, sound is coming from it. This is never good."

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away."

"It's funny how the earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to."

"Whatever is causing the Joan Collins 'tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it."

"I'm just gonna go home, lie down, and listen to country music. The music of pain."