Menu

I'm planning for next year....

That's insane, right? :lol:

In my defense, I'm adding two more kids to the home school mix, and I'm a little anxious about it!  We will also hopefully be buying a house in the spring, so I would love to have everything decided before then as to not go completely crazy.

Any other way too early planners?

Edited by someonestolemyname

I'm (kinda) planning for next year. However, we school on a semester system and our next semester starts in January.

What subjects/grade levels are you looking for?

Mostly, I need to re-introduce structure into our lives. We are currently focusing on Spanish and mathematics and will probably continue with it, since it's working out well.

We are still schooling in Spanish as much as possible. I want to continue at least until the summer. They are very close to being 'conversant' in Spanish--we have worked very intensively on developing the language and they are making huge progress there. But I'm quickly approaching my ceiling for what I can teach/facilitate on the Spanish front, and may have to pay out $$$ for a tutor/class.

• Like 1

I'm starting to plan for next year too, but in my defense, that's involving DD applying as a non-degree college student.

Here's what I'm thinking so far (not even set in Jello yet!)

Some form of literature class, maybe G3, mostly for social reasons. DD is thinking the Shakespeare looks interesting. She will probably continue to be a teacher's assistant at Athena's as well.

Environmenal Science at the college level, either live or hybrid (online with live labs).

Continue biology, microbiology, and herpetology research (with her mentor). She will hopefully have enough replicant data after this season to start preparing her project for possible publication, which would also basically be her writing curriculum for the year.

AOPS Intermediate Algebra plus other topics OR College Algebra (I'd prefer AOPS, but one of the possible local colleges requires that "special students" take math at whatever level they place into). Statistics.

History--DD wants to do Australian history, and it's worked well to have her work through Galore Park, so I'm planning to get their high school level textbooks and go from there. Apparently a new edition is due out for 2016.

Latin-Comtinue Galore Park. I think DD would love Lukeion, but I'm not sure about finding time, especially if she's starting college classes, so I'm thinking another year at home won't hurt.

Piano, music theory (with private instructor and with me)

Cheer team and tumbling, unless DD wants to try something else. One of her favorite coaches is coming back to coach elite (the try-out only teams) which may spur DD into actually trying for Elite next year, which would mean more time in the gym. I'm leaving it up to DD. The big concern would be that Elite has a third competition season in the summer, which potentially interferes with DD's herp work and summer programs. (That and DD is tiny, but is much happier as a base or spot-which doesn't work when the rest of the team outweighs her by 20+ lbs!).

• Like 2

That's insane, right? :lol:

In my defense, I'm adding two more kids to the home school mix, and I'm a little anxious about it!  We will also hopefully be buying a house in the spring, so I would love to have everything decided before then as to not go completely crazy.

Any other way too early planners?

Not here. I'm right on track. Everything sketched out though graduate school.  ;)   I'm not entirely joking, though. Some graduate schools are particular about when subjects were taken, whether APs and DE will count even if they had counted for undergrad etc. It was mind boggling. Some medical schools frown on early graduation from high school or college because having the correct number of credits isn't the only thing that matters. It was enlightening. I'm glad I did it. 

• Like 5

I am planning the math, LA and music for next year - I just finished purchases of all the curriculum for those. This gives me time to go through them and come up with plans. I will plan the other subjects in February.

Edited by mathnerd

Not here. I'm right on track. Everything sketched out though graduate school. ;) I'm not entirely joking, though. Some graduate schools are particular about when subjects were taken, whether APs and DE will count even if they had counted for undergrad etc. It was mind boggling. Some medical schools frown on early graduation from high school or college because having the correct number of credits isn't the only thing that matters. It was enlightening. I'm glad I did it.

Could you share more about this with me, via pm if you'd prefer? Not for DS (not at all!) but for his friend, who is graduating with an associates degree next summer at 14. She has mentioned med school as something she might be interested in.
  • Like 3

My kids plan keep changing until I can only plan how much I am willing to spend on classes and curriculum.

I was thinking of skipping the AP exams and just do SAT subject tests for my kids but found a tuition center that host AP exams for a fee. If what they host is something my oldest would like to take then we would go for it. He finds test taking fun usually.

• Like 4

I have a spreadsheet with ideas for each subject from now (age 5) through age 10. Not that I expect it to work out that way, but I love seeing the nice, logical progression that my kid will toss in the trash :)

I have this too! Glad I'm not alone. Planning relaxes me.

We school Jan-Nov so we are on summer break, and I'm getting the last minute stuff for next year. 

Planning for next year right now?  Pffft, no way.

I did that like a year ago.  :leaving:

Actually ;), the next couple of years are rather "do the next thing"-ish for us, so I've recently been planning for 2-3 years away, with the full knowledge that it's subject to change.  Also, I'm having to plan for NOW because suddenly the timing is good for us to take a break from SOTW and spend some time on US geography, a couple of states each week, so I'll be making up plans for that as we go.  (I told them about this plan yesterday, and that we'll start states next week so I have time to collect resources and make some worksheets.  They have each asked at least 5 times if we were going to start learning about the states today.)

• Like 5

I know you all are on the edge of your seat about what I have planned for my rising second grader, right? Lol. :lol:

Without further ado:

Math -- Beast Academy is working well. We will move up to level 4 with a little CWP 4, Moems, Borac, and Hands on Equations thrown in.

Logic -- Mindbenders Book 4, Balance Benders Book 1, Visual Discrimination, Logic Countdown, Advancing Through Analogies

Science -- Conceptual Physics, How Things Work, and Exploration Education 

Literature -- Athena's Intermediate Lit I and II, Mosdos Ruby, and working through the Mensa reading list

Writing -- A combo of Treasured Conversations and WWE3

Grammar, Vocab, Poetry -- MCT Town level

Spelling -- I don't think Sacha is getting much out of Rod & Staff 3. We are switching to Megawords 1 next year.

Cursive -- New American Cursive copywork with the Startwrite Software

History -- We are going to take a break before starting SOTW4 to do a year of a Canadian (not sure what resource yet), California (Beautiful Feet and Harcourt Reflections: California, A Changing State), and U.S. History (continue History of US) combo. SOTW has not been intense for my son to date, but we are Jewish, and several people have recommended waiting on SOTW4. So, I am taking their advice to do something emotionally lighter for a year before beginning modern history.

Latin -- Getting Started With Latin and Minimus

French -- Getting Started With French

Hebrew -- Shalom Ivrit Books 2 and 3, Lashon Hatorah (grammar), Bright Beginnings (Torah), Aleph Bet Quest Script Writing Book

Computer Science -- Youth Digital Mod Design 1

Extracurrics -- Guitar, soccer, tennis, Parkour, and theatre

Charter school classes -- still TBD, but likely art, music, Spanish, and engineering/Lego

• Like 6

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who plans insanely early. :D

I have rough plans made up for the next 3-4 years, but I've just started making more detailed plans for 2016-2017 within the last week or so. It will be my first year with all four kids at home (my youngest is in half-day preschool this year), and I'm more than a little anxious about it!

Next year is our year of beginning outsourced classes. Ds' life skills with time management have really been developed this year. Since I now work 30+ hours a week, planning needs to happen early so things can be ironed out, registared for, and prepped when I have time. Next year is also the year we are very firmly in high school across all subjects. I have not completely established how I want to keep records and it makes me anxious!

Math: AoPS - currently pace looks like it puts him finishing up Intro to Algebra relatively quickly into the year. Number Theory to tread water a bit will only hold him off for so long. I am trying to see if an alternate text where all the Geonetry and Algebra concepts are combined might help. We have done it all a bit out of order and I really want things firm before we jump into Intermediate Algebra and beginning Trig. I cannot even believe I am writing the word Trig!

English: MCT Level 5 (minus writing) perhaps a bit of sentence diagramming if he bails on MCT.

Writing: Lost Tools of Writing with Corem Deo. I have an ex- community college writing teacher willing to grade Ds' essays, so we might go that route. Writing is by far the most messy subject for us. I secretly want it to just go away!

Latin: Lukeion Latin 1

History/Literature: Roman Roads Old Western Culture Year 2 Romans

Spanish: Breaking the Barrier with tests, Duolingo, lots of games. The goal is to begin really writing significantly in Spanish to prep for community college courses. He will have conversation with a native speaker twice a week who is also the person correcting his paragraphs.

Japanese: writing simple sentences and vocabulary building. Potential conversation with a native speaker (Ds is still nervous about this.)

Science: AP Environmental Science

Art: Performance Piano

More than anything, the slow progression toward community college style classes and instructors is necessary. That is the primary goal of next year. Ds has anxiety, can get overwhemled, become perfectionistic, and then freeze up. Unlocking that is so very hard for him. So next year will begin the university school model and hopefully by 14 he can enroll in actual CC classes with a skill set and confidence.

I don't know if writing this out actually eased my anxiety, or greatly increased it! The entire concept of a school year looking like that seems so crazy - he isn't even 12!

• Like 3

We keep a plan mapped all the way to graduation.  It adjusts on an annual basis, but it's there.  Nearer term (say, 1-4 years), we start getting serious about identifying specific curricula, pacing, etc.

The detailed plan (daily work, readings, etc) is only set once per year just prior to the school year, but does get tweaked during the year.  Its establishment is often the first trigger to adjust the long-term plan, but around Octoberish, we also begin to see impacts of relative curriculum difficulty on the long-term plan.

So, you aren't nuts -- there's always someone further down the spiral!

• Like 1

I'm so glad to see this thread here.  There was a 'what did your 9th grader take' on the high school board, and I was very hesitant to post.  :sad:  

We are planning for next year, because February 1 *is* next year for the southern hemisphere. :thumbup1:

A couple of weeks ago, DS just took his first exams ever.  We are not a testing family, so he has never really taken one.  In hindsight, perhaps it was kind of mean to have his first exam be AP Physics.  But he think it went well. He also took the exams for AP Calc and ABRSM grade 8 violin.  He is also half way through his 11th grade english assessments. Sadly, mandarin fell off the list for the second half of this year. 

So here are the plans for 10th grade.  He is still talking about graduating a year early, but we are waiting to see how the IMO stuff goes. 

Math:

AoPS WOOT

Feb-June Calculus (the professor told him to self study the other 1-year course as it would be too easy.)

July-Nov Multivariate Calc at the University (he has placed out of all first year courses)

NZ IMO squad of 12 (we hope.  DS said he has never seen anyone go 'backwards' so he thinks he will make the squad again. He did *very* well on the BMO a couple of weeks ago). The squad is about 15-20 hours a week for Jan-April for the team selection assignments.  Team selection tests are the AMO, BMO2, APMO.

He has to finish the 11th grade English assessments before July, so he can take Calculus at the Uni.  Then he moves onto 12th grade English in July.

11th grade Chemistry

Violin - he will begin the 2-year AA degree (LRSM) in music performance available through ABRSM

Mandarin (I hope. This looks like a full schedule, and I am afraid this will drop off the list like it did this year)

Badminton, Trio, String Group, Win Tsung

I'd like to get him volunteering at the Badminton Club and with the NZ Math Olympiad Student Association.  But we will see.  Not time for everything. 

+++++++

For my little boy who is not so little anymore:

7th grade

MEP math year 9.  We have decided not to do AoPS as he is just not the theoretical type. 

English (homegrown)

Our focus will be on writing with a thesis.  We are aiming for an A- essay in an hour, typed.  We are doing a essay a day.

Literature - mixture of American and British.  Trying to attack some more difficult books (currently reading Moonstone). We will focus on linking literary techniques to purpose.  

Poetry - MCT 

remediation: dictation and spelling.  Some sort of dysgraphia going on, but slow and steady wins the race. His writing speed is currently 10 words a minute sustained for 15 minutes and his spelling is possibly 4th grade.  We have made huge strides this year in this area.

Science: 9th grade Chemistry

Violin: ABRSM grade 5 (9th grade) exam in May.  He is getting good!

Ancient history with dad.  Currently reading Fangle's translation of the Odyssey.  

Mandarin (I hope. Our tutor moved to china.   :sad: )

Soccer, Badminton, Swimming, Drama, Gymnastics, Trio, String group, shop/home ec (at school).  Can you tell this is my social boy?  He takes the bus or train or walks to all activities except 1!!

Planning done! Books purchased! We are ready!

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 4

I just have to sign T up for the next thing in most subjects.

Either AOPS based Algebra 2 or Geometry, whatever Mrs. Quintero at WTMA offers next. T adores the Algebra 1 class and it makes AOPS doable for us.

Latin 3 at Landry. T would like to ditch it, but I convinced (umm, coerced) her into doing the third year to finish all the grammar and do a little reading before she moves on. She'd like to study French eventually but that can start in 9th grade.

Spanish is going to have to become a mom subject. I can handle grammar review/reading/writing but I'm thinking of asking Dh's aunt to do Skype lessons with T for speaking practice. It's just too easy for her to slip into Spanglish at the first opportunity with DH or me. I need to recruit an authoritative interlocutor who "doesn't speak English". ;)  

Next year will be Medieval lit at Landry and history using the Daileader TTC courses.

Science will be Conceptual Physics at Landry. This is the next class in the science sequence, then she'll do their advanced level chem and physics.

I'm also planning to sign T up for an art history class if it fits in the schedule. It combines art history with art projects and is geared to high school students with limited art backgrounds. I think it sounds like a fun class for her and a chance to do a bit more art before grades start to count. T is very interested in art history and likes to make stuff, but visual art is not her strong suit.

If WTMA offers expository writing over the summer, I'll sign up for that to free up some time during the school year. This year I overscheduled a bit and we need to take a step back a bit.

I have a tentative plan through high school because there are some classes she needs to have done in order to DE junior and senior years.

• Like 2

Either AOPS based Algebra 2 or Geometry, whatever Mrs. Quintero at WTMA offers next. T adores the Algebra 1 class and it makes AOPS doable for us.

Do you think they will offer an algebra 2 class (taking the whole year for the second part of the Intro to Algebra book, right?). DS is doing algebra 1 with AOPS but a live class like WTMA offers would be so much better for him...this means I have to figure out what he will do for math this summer: finish the book with an AoPs class or do an AMC or whatever class instead, saving the rest of the book for the live class in the fall... Edited by madteaparty

Yep. There's a good (?) chance DS might want to go to the public high school the following year, so next year will be all about me panicking. I don't know why it makes me so nervous. Academically he'll be fine, it's the small stuff that I'm not sure about. In order to keep me from going to crazy places in my head, I'm focusing on those skills he's going to absolutely need and programs that can help get him there.

Do you think they will offer an algebra 2 class (taking the whole year for the second part of the Intro to Algebra book, right?). DS is doing algebra 1 with AOPS but a live class like WTMA offers would be so much better for him...this means I have to figure out what he will do for math this summer: finish the book with an AoPs class or do an AMC or whatever class instead, saving the rest of the book for the live class in the fall...

I'm not sure if they'll opt to offer algebra 2 or geometry next year. Either class can follow algebra 1, it's just a matter of what order a school chooses. Whatever they do choose, they'll probably offer the other class the next year because you need both before precalc.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they'll opt to offer algebra 2 or geometry next year. Either class can follow algebra 1, it's just a matter of what order a school chooses. Whatever they do choose, they'll probably offer the other class the next year because you need both before precalc.

Wait, intermediate algebra too, right? I need to refresh my memory of what their class covers...

Well, I've started planning simply b/c getting school books out here is a pain. I'm trying to pre-buy stuff now so that I have it in plenty of time. It makes me anxious to think I may not have whatever we'd like to do next ready and waiting for me. Dumb, I know. Olderdd will be going into 5th, Younger into 2nd. Holy cow, when did this happen? I'm still so uncertain about a bunch of things for older dd which is freaking me out a bit. Ugh. 

Older: 

Math: Expecting her to be done with MM6 by Sep so right now, Dolciani Pre-Alg with AoPs Pre-Alg. She is great in math but not heavily "into it" so I may lean more on Dolciani than AoPs. 

LA: Should be done with formal spelling by then. We'll have gone through 2 different spelling programs in their entirety by the fall and she's a natural speller. Not sure we really need to keep up with this anymore. :confused:  Thinking I'll do two different vocab programs now instead. 

MCT Caesar's English 1 and 2, Sadlier-Oxford vocab, Rod and Staff 6, Write from History Early Modern, Killgallon Paragraphs for Middle School

Science: Either Holt Physical Science with Carbon Chemistry (again) or some other intensive Chem by itself. I'll have her help me teach little dd The Elements, in any case.

History: K12 Human Odyssey book 2. She loves this series. 

Latin: LFC B (I'm slacking in Latin so she's going slowly. It's my fault tho as I don't like Latin  :o )

Japanese: Bunch of apps, talking to Japanese friends, neighbors, making her order food at restaurants and read Kanji for me  :p

Extras: SCM Geo Africa, Marine Bio course, Raspberry Pi with Dh, HWT Typing (slacked on it this year...must start this now!!), WHD, Logic workbooks, Art class on base 

Little dd:

MM3 with CWP 2 and 3 for review, WWE3, FLL4, The Elements,  Physical Science listen-in with older dd or EEPhysics b/c I have it,  K12 Human Odyssey 2 (loves this series more than SoTW  :001_huh: ), WW5 and 6, Evan Moor Geography, Cursive copywork, various Japanese, logic, math and etc workbooks. 

• Like 1

Wait, intermediate algebra too, right? I need to refresh my memory of what their class covers...

The AOPS Intermediate Algebra book mainly covers topics that go beyond what a typical American high school curriculum does. Algebra 2 in most high schools is the second part of the Introduction book with some topics from Intermediate.

Part of why I like WTMA AOPS classes is that the teacher has done the work of paring AOPS down to a manageable level that is challenging but not overwhelming for kids who are good but not genius at math. She emphasizes working the problems over until you understand why the answer is correct. I tend to freak out when T is stumped and this class has made me tone down my perfectionist tendencies.

• Like 5

The AOPS Intermediate Algebra book mainly covers topics that go beyond what a typical American high school curriculum does. Algebra 2 in most high schools is the second part of the Introduction book with some topics from Intermediate.

Part of why I like WTMA AOPS classes is that the teacher has done the work of paring AOPS down to a manageable level that is challenging but not overwhelming for kids who are good but not genius at math. She emphasizes working the problems over until you understand why the answer is correct. I tend to freak out when T is stumped and this class has made me tone down my perfectionist tendencies.

That describes my kid completely. I think i will wait for the class and do the AMC class or Foerrsters with me in the summer... Edited by madteaparty

I'm going to post my current, incomplete plan so I can organize my thoughts and see if anyone has any feedback.

DS 9 (turns 10 next November)

Math -  Well, this one is up in the air because we bypassed SM 5 and jumped into Jousting Armadillos.  I'm currently going through the MM subjects to see what I need to buy just to make sure he's solid with elementary.  He was never getting any wrong in the regular SM workbook, and refused to do the CWP, so this is where we landed.  Not exactly what most people here do, but I'm hoping it all works out in the end.

Literature - We've been doing read alouds, up until this point.  (He reads voraciously on his own as well) I do assign some random chapters of books when we start running low on time, but I need to figure out my approach to Lit as he moves into the middle grades.  His decoding and comprehension is high, I just want to make sure the critical thinking gets done, which reminds me....

Grammar - finish MCT Literature Level

Logic - need suggestions for some critical thinking resources!

Writing - I need to figure this out

History - no idea. I'm beginning to see a pattern here. :lol:  He just finished SOTW 3 at Athena's, but I don't think he's going to do SOTW next semester.

Science - He is really into robotics, so I hope to have him start a project soon, and hopefully that will lead to more projects.  He takes a class once a month at out science center, and we Nature Journal as well.

Art - projects and monthly classes at the art museum

Music - continue playing Double Bass with Suzuki program.  I need to get a real piano as well, as he has taught himself on his keyboard and regularly writes songs on garage band.  This is his "thing" so I really want to nurture it.

Spanish - depends how far we get in GSWS.  Not sure what comes next!

I think we'll try Keyboarding without Tears as well.

DD & DS (will be 6)

Writing - Jot it Down?

Lit - Mom's reading lists

Spelling - All About Spelling

Math - I really want to make Miquon work but I'm going to really have to prepare for this.  It confuses me so! They love cuisenaire rods and the education unboxed videos.  Also they are coming from Montessori so this seems like a nice transition. If I can't handle it, we'll do MM because I am not buying 100 singapore books. :laugh:

Science - Nature Journaling and Wild Explorers club

History -  SOTW 1?

Handwriting - Getty Dubay

French - Skoldo maybe? 

Hmm, this kind of seems like a lot, but we will only be doing reading, math and French daily.

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 1

I'm (kinda) planning for next year. However, we school on a semester system and our next semester starts in January.

What subjects/grade levels are you looking for?

Mostly, I need to re-introduce structure into our lives. We are currently focusing on Spanish and mathematics and will probably continue with it, since it's working out well.

We are still schooling in Spanish as much as possible. I want to continue at least until the summer. They are very close to being 'conversant' in Spanish--we have worked very intensively on developing the language and they are making huge progress there. But I'm quickly approaching my ceiling for what I can teach/facilitate on the Spanish front, and may have to pay out $$$ for a tutor/class.

If you're near a large University, check and see if they have weekly meetups for Spanish conversation practice. They often do for students, and they're generally open to outsiders as well (folks just want to practice!). I keep meaning to go to one at my local university...next semester!

• Like 2

If you're near a large University, check and see if they have weekly meetups for Spanish conversation practice. They often do for students, and they're generally open to outsiders as well (folks just want to practice!). I keep meaning to go to one at my local university...next semester!

Thanks. I (we) joined a Meet Up group for Spanish learners and speakers--the Meet Up group meets 2-4 times a week in different places around town. Its not affiliated with the one on campus, but I may join that one too because it does not move around town and has a schedule that is firmly set.

• Like 2

Grade 9, no transcript, Latin - Modern Languages track

Dutch: Literature & Composition, www.lezenvoordelijst.nl

English: Real English Skills or Cambridge Advanced English + Literature

French: C'est bien ca + Jardin des Lettres / Terre des Lettres

Latin: finishing 2 starting 3

Greek: Mouseion

German: Na Klar + Praxis

Integrated Math: deciding continuing or switching AoPs Intro A

Integrated science in a non integrated way: Physical Science?, IGCSE Chemistry, Biology?

History: 1750-1910 sources undecided

Geography + Global Issues (IGCSE)

Just for interest:

Philosophy, Psychology, Civics, Ethics.

Or something like that :)

• Like 3

I'm definitely thinking about next year because we'll be signing up for TK (K4) with a charter. I want to have an idea of curricula that would fit the need for regular, written output, especially in math and spelling.

For spelling I think we'll be doing dictated spelling words and chunking a la SYS but using ABC and All Their Tricks, and once that's completed possibly moving to HTTS. I may hold off HTTS until K5 though, for maturity.

For math...no clue. I've been trying to hold him at a first grade level but everything has gotten so easy there. We'll continue Miquon, LoF, Singapore textbooks, and bits and pieces of CSMP and Mep, and then perhaps he'll be ready for something like CWP or MM. I'm very resistant to asking him to do paper and pencil math but I don't know what the charter will want to see.

I've got next year planned already, as dd11 takes several online classes that I will need to register her for over the next few months.

I'm still undecided on math. Last year she did pre-algebra online with AoPS. It was a great class but the afternoon meeting time was difficult and while she is capable of doing the problem solving on her own, she's not very confident and likes me to be next to her while she works the problem sets. This year I needed to spend more time with dd9 so she needed to do something more independent. So, she's taking an online Algebra I class using Foerster. It's going very well, much easier that AOPS would have been, and she works independently 95% of the time. However, part of me wonders if having her skip AoPS is doing her a disservice. She could certainly be challenged more than she has been this year.

So, now I'm trying to decide what to do next year. Part of me says that Foerster is a solid Algebra and it's enough for her, so we should call it good and move onto Geometry. The other part of me says I should enroll her in AOPS Algebra B and Number theory next year and get her back into working those problem solving skills. She would probably be fine with either option, but would want my support with AOPS if we went that route.

My other issue is that she will have a high school level load next year not only in math, but also Chinese, Latin, and possibly science. This has me leaning toward a math she can do in 5-6 hours a week.

But.... AOPS is a truly great program. And she'd get so much out of it.

Decisions...bah!

I've got next year planned already, as dd11 takes several online classes that I will need to register her for over the next few months.

I'm still undecided on math. Last year she did pre-algebra online with AoPS. It was a great class but the afternoon meeting time was difficult and while she is capable of doing the problem solving on her own, she's not very confident and likes me to be next to her while she works the problem sets. This year I needed to spend more time with dd9 so she needed to do something more independent. So, she's taking an online Algebra I class using Foerster. It's going very well, much easier that AOPS would have been, and she works independently 95% of the time. However, part of me wonders if having her skip AoPS is doing her a disservice. She could certainly be challenged more than she has been this year.

So, now I'm trying to decide what to do next year. Part of me says that Foerster is a solid Algebra and it's enough for her, so we should call it good and move onto Geometry. The other part of me says I should enroll her in AOPS Algebra B and Number theory next year and get her back into working those problem solving skills. She would probably be fine with either option, but would want my support with AOPS if we went that route.

My other issue is that she will have a high school level load next year not only in math, but also Chinese, Latin, and possibly science. This has me leaning toward a math she can do in 5-6 hours a week.

But.... AOPS is a truly great program. And she'd get so much out of it.

Decisions...bah!

Aops strugglers but just can't quit yet here. Part of me wants to ask what online class uses Foersters... Part of me wants to alert you to the WTM algebra 1 class using AoPS and Singapore-year long
  • Like 1

Are class schedules usually at all the same between fall semesters 2 years in a row? (mine usually were when I was teaching, but given that I taught Saturday classes and evening classes, that may have just been coincidental). It looks like DD is likely to have to register for online classes for next fall before the 2016 class schedule for the college is up.

Snip

Math - I really want to make Miquon work but I'm going to really have to prepare for this. It confuses me so! They love cuisenaire rods and the education unboxed videos. Also they are coming from Montessori so this seems like a nice transition. If I can't handle it, we'll do MM because I am not buying 100 singapore books. :laugh:

Snip

I've been very successful using the c rods with math mammoth. If you, as the teacher, think that way, it is super easy to adapt mm to use the rods. Mm is just so much easier to use in the day to day nitty gritty than miquon, plus you don't have to switch after third grade.

The rest is not in reply to that quote specifically, just a general post.

We are mostly doing the next thing for the main subjects. I'm kind of iffy on mbtp for language arts, but ds loves it, and I can't really think of anything else I'd prefer at this point. I'm looking for music and art. Right now I am thinking I can combine my olders in "I can do all things" for art. They are at the same ability for art. I want to combine them for music too, but ds has had much more sight reading practice. I'm thinking Hoffman academy for ods, but not sure if did could keep up with him in that...sigh...I really don't want to do 2 musics.

• Like 1

Guest Person101

I'm going to post my current, incomplete plan so I can organize my thoughts and see if anyone has any feedback.

DS 9 (turns 10 next November)

Math -  Well, this one is up in the air because we bypassed SM 5 and jumped into Jousting Armadillos.  I'm currently going through the MM subjects to see what I need to buy just to make sure he's solid with elementary.  He was never getting any wrong in the regular SM workbook, and refused to do the CWP, so this is where we landed.  Not exactly what most people here do, but I'm hoping it all works out in the end.

Literature - We've been doing read alouds, up until this point.  (He reads voraciously on his own as well) I do assign some random chapters of books when we start running low on time, but I need to figure out my approach to Lit as he moves into the middle grades.  His decoding and comprehension is high, I just want to make sure the critical thinking gets done, which reminds me....

Logic - need suggestions for some critical thinking resources!

Writing - Bravewriter Faltering Ownership

History - no idea. I'm beginning to see a pattern here. :lol:  He will finish up with SOTW 4 at Athena's this spring.  I think I will figure out an online option for this.

Science - He is really into robotics, so I hope to have him start a project soon, and hopefully that will lead to more projects.  He takes a class once a month at out science center, and we Nature Journal as well.

Art - projects and monthly classes at the art museum

Music - continue playing Double Bass with Suzuki program.  I need to get a real piano as well, as he has taught himself on his keyboard and regularly writes songs on garage band.  This is his "thing" so I really want to nurture it.

Spanish - depends how far we get in GSWS.  Not sure what comes next!

I think we'll try Keyboarding without Tears as well.

DD & DS (will be 6)

Writing - Jot it Down

Lit - Mom's reading lists

Spelling - All About Spelling

Math - I really want to make Miquon work but I'm going to really have to prepare for this.  It confuses me so! They love cuisenaire rods and the education unboxed videos.  Also they are coming from Montessori so this seems like a nice transition. If I can't handle it, we'll do MM because I am not buying 100 singapore books. :laugh:

Science - Nature Journaling and Wild Explorers club

History -  SOTW 1

Handwriting - Getty Dubay

French - Skoldo maybe? 

Hmm, this kind of seems like a lot, but we will only be doing reading, math and French daily.

http://www.teach-nology.com/worksheets/critical_thinking/

Miquon seems confusing, but is not once you get into it. Really! If you look at a sheet and can't figure out what is happening, you read the Lab Sheet Annotation for that sheet. A child confused? You explain it and show them how it works with the rods. Still confused? Maybe it's time to skip that page and do a different one. I usually do the same topic, then go back to the confusing page a day or two later to see if the concept clicked. The child clearly has a topic mastered? Move on to the next one. Don't be intimidated - DS6 and I have had fun with it so far. :)

Re: critical thinking resources, have you tried Prufrock Press materials yet?

• Like 1

Latin 3 at Landry. T would like to ditch it, but I convinced (umm, coerced) her into doing the third year to finish all the grammar and do a little reading before she moves on. She'd like to study French eventually but that can start in 9th grade.

Spanish is going to have to become a mom subject. I can handle grammar review/reading/writing but I'm thinking of asking Dh's aunt to do Skype lessons with T for speaking practice. It's just too easy for her to slip into Spanglish at the first opportunity with DH or me. I need to recruit an authoritative interlocutor who "doesn't speak English". ;)  

Next year will be Medieval lit at Landry and history using the Daileader TTC courses.

Science will be Conceptual Physics at Landry. This is the next class in the science sequence, then she'll do their advanced level chem and physics.

I'm also planning to sign T up for an art history class if it fits in the schedule. It combines art history with art projects and is geared to high school students with limited art backgrounds. I think it sounds like a fun class for her and a chance to do a bit more art before grades start to count. T is very interested in art history and likes to make stuff, but visual art is not her strong suit.

If WTMA offers expository writing over the summer, I'll sign up for that to free up some time during the school year. This year I overscheduled a bit and we need to take a step back a bit.

I have a tentative plan through high school because there are some classes she needs to have done in order to DE junior and senior years.

I enjoyed reading your plans and curious to know which English writing class from Landry are you planning for next year? Thanks!

I enjoyed reading your plans and curious to know which English writing class from Landry are you planning for next year? Thanks!

Medieval Through Romantic Literature I and II

I'm saving their composition sequence for high school. T will either do Expository Writing III or Homeschool Connections recorded classes over the summer. We need to free up some time during the school year.