Menu

Movies with GREAT storytelling?

Gil

We have birthdays and holidays coming up and the boys, especially Buddy, love stories. They would like movies with well-developed plots, decent story telling and "meaningful" characters. In other words "Movies that are actually worth watching."

I am on the hunt for movies that are well told from a story/plot perspective. They do not have to be childrens movies, but if they are child-friendly that is good because we watch practically everything together.

We have not seen a Disney movie that doesn't fall on the scale between 'meh' and downright horrible as far as the story/plot goes.

Pixar movies are often pretty good, but they have some 'meh, whatever' stories too in the boys opinion.

Can the hive offer up a list of stories that are truly well told on film?

Edited by Gil
  • Like 2

Animated movies that aren't Disney/Pixar that I think are compelling and beautiful...

Song of the Sea

Secret of Kells

The Iron Giant

Fantastic Mr. Fox

...and seconding all things Studio Ghibli.

Other children's movies...

Hugo

The Secret of Roan Inish

A Little Princess

Babe

The Red Balloon

I like this list of good movies from Entertainment Weekly. But I have to admit that I'm not sure if it's your cup of tea entirely. I like a lot of movies that are good films without being high art. I have a feeling from your description that you only want high art, not comedies or silly movies.

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/06/23/55-essential-movies-your-child-must-see-before-they-turn-13

• Like 4

Thanks, just to be clear, the films do not have to be animated.

...I like a lot of movies that are good films without being high art. I have a feeling from your description that you only want high art, not comedies or silly movies.

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/06/23/55-essential-movies-your-child-must-see-before-they-turn-13

I am particularly looking for movies with sensible or (mostly) consistent plot-lines. Movies with choppy nonsense plots are not particularly enjoyable in our household and poor, inconsistent movie ploes make some of us (*cough, cough* Buddy *cough cough*) absolutely insane.

• Like 1

My kids loved "The Story of Totoro" from Studio Ghibli.

But for other movies, what about:

"E.T."  

"Akeelah and the Bee"

"Dead Poets Society" (ETA teens+)

"Babe"

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (old version...not Johnny Depp version)

"Shrek"

"A  Little Princess" from the 80s/90s, although the Shirley Temple movie is good too

"Anne of Green Gables" (PBS version)

My kids really enjoyed the movie "Annie" from the early 80s...with Carol Burnett in in.  (Haven't seen the more recent one.)

Edited by umsami
  • Like 4

you don't say how old your kids are.  Little?  pre-teens? 

I was going to reccomend Secret of Roan Inish but I see someone already has.

Secret of the Kells is good too.

Last Mimsy

Millions

Into the West (the one with Gabriel Byrne)

Howl's Moving Castle & Spirited Away

Forbidden Kingdom

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

• Like 2

I guess I'm not sure what an inconsistent plot is? Can you give an example?

Some of the movies I suggested aren't animated. I'm guessing things like Millions, Hugo, and Roan Inish are all going to be the sort of thing you're looking for - beautifully made children's movies. None of those are animated.

• Like 1

Babe

Milo and Otis

The Sound of Music

Mary Poppins

Right now you can watch some Christmas movies:

Scrooge (NOT ScroogeD, just Scrooge--it's from 1970 something with Albert Finney)

Muppets Christmas Carol--this one follows the book very well. It's muppets and you think it won't be any good, but they did an excellent job on it.

Miracle on 34th Street

Maybe It's a Wonderful Life, but younger kids might get bored. Depends on the kid.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

If your kids are teens, totally look into Alfred Hitchcock movies! One of the best storytellers out there IMHO.  

"The Princess Bride" is a great film.

What about the original Superman with Christopher Reeve? (I have to admit I haven't seen later non-Christopher Reeve versions.)

• Like 3

Stardust was a really well told story.

Second-Hand Lions is a family favorite.

Stardust was a really well told story, for sure! But it has scary scenes, depending on the kid. I waited for my oldest to be 12 to show it to him and who knows when I'll show it to my current 10 yo? He doesn't like scary things. (The witches sacrificing animals to read their intestines, the witch getting older and older and getting really scary looking at the end, the slit throat in the tub...a bit much for little kids.)

But the storytelling is just wonderful in that film. One of my top favorite movies ever.

• Like 1

Shrek, Iron Giant, Ratatouille, Up,

Incredible Journey (old and new versions)

Star Wars saga, 

Agents of Shield type movies

BBC movie versions of classic books, including Dickens books

Born Free

Sounder

The Gods Must Be Crazy

Hugo

Bridge to Terabithia

Because of Winn Dixie

Dave (if you are okay with some sex scenes)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (if you are okay with a holocaust movie--main character dies, but not graphically on screen)

• Like 1

I saw Babe the other night after years of not seeing it and it is a really darling movie.  

I saw someone mentioned Sargent York.  That is a movie we kind of love to hate.  It is over the top hokey patriotism because it was made during WWII about WWI, I think.  But also it has got the stupidest scene in it where York, who hales from the backwoods of Appalachia does this turkey gobble (just like hunting back home!) to try and get the Germans out of their trenches.  Awful scene.  My family has never forgiven Gary Cooper for that one.  So I'm just saying your mileage may vary according to tastes.

I second Captain's Courageous with Spencer Tracy.  That is a magnificent film.  Another one that we love around here is National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney.  

• Like 2

Hugo is so good!  Not sure if your boys are too young to appreciate it or not; there's nothing objectionable for younger children, but it may or may not appeal to them yet.

I don't know how you feel about movie versions of books, or how much violence/war you're comfortable with regarding your children, but the Lord of the Rings films are really lovely.  We really find that we can related to the characters and how they're feeling and what's motivating them, and there are a TON of scenes where we can discuss virtues and values and doing what's right.  I've seen them probably half a dozen times each, and I still cry at certain scenes and certain lines.  (Parts of them ARE gory, but then again, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is VERY dark for little children.  Really little ones might just have it go over their heads, but I think yours are at an age where it might really bother them.)

The original Dr. Doolittle -- been a while since we have seen it, but my children liked it.

Swiss Family Robinson, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Treasure Island -- my boys like those, although I'll confess to half watching them.

Sound of Music -- nice because the siblings are sweet but not perfect; they squabble and get into mischief but have good hearts

The original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

I am drawing a blank. . .  But then again, my kids like pretty much anything, including the totally ridiculous and silly Night at the Museum movies.

• Like 1

Man, I hated Hugo! Just goes to show how different we are :) It was very well acted but the plot wasn't one I enjoyed and it was predictable to boot. I almost wonder if longer running series might be up his alley? Some of the better modern storytelling is in shows, not movies.

Edited by Arctic Mama

My pick:  The Princess Bride - excellent movie and probably the best story telling movie of all time.

I take my kids to the movies more then I should.  We vote on each movie and at the end of the year we rank our movies.

The 2014 Movie of the Year in the Wright Family household was: Not Frozen, but Jack the Giant Slayer!  It had everything in a movie you would want.

This year, 2015, our top movie is Jupiter Ascending, closely followed by Jurassic World.  Star Wars might beat both.

My kids are 17, 14, 11, 10 and 7.  and I get a vote too.  

:patriot:

• Like 2

I enjoyed Jupiter Ascending but kept trying to resist the urge to scream at my tv over Mila Kunis being idiotic - that one might be hit or miss with a kid like Buddy because I can usually suspend my annoyance and get into a plot and that one challenged me :rofl:

It's not American, but have you looked into any anime like Gasaraki or Ghost in the Shell S.A.C and the later movies? The plots are fabulous. Twelve Kingdoms is as well, but the anime is unfinished.

Might be better for slightly older kids but I'd recommend Smoke Signals. It's about a Native American who sets out with a fellow friend, also a NA -- a storyteller -- to find the father who abandoned him. A bit heavy at times and poignant but the ending is quite good. "If we forgive our fathers, what is left?"

Also…

To Be and to Have

The New Heroes (PBS documentary series)

• Like 3

My kids are really into movies that were adapted from books. Off the top of my head, they watch these over and over: 

The Secret Garden

Tom and Huck

Black Beauty

Little Men

The Indian in the Cupboard

Summer of the Monkeys

Peter Pan

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

the first few Harry Potter films

The Count of Monte Cristo

Oliver Twist

• Like 2

We just saw Zathura: A Space Adventure this week, and my son liked it in spite of himself. It was the same idea as Jumanji. The main characters are two bickering brothers, but the fighting is so funny/realistic...

And what about the Sandlot? Has that been suggested?

• Like 2

Can anyone list older movies? I'm not familiar with many but I do remember watching one about a man and his wife who become bank robbers. I can't think of the name of it, but it was enjoyable. We might enjoy that one and other films similar to it.

Also, cowboys. What are some great cowboy films?

• Like 1

Can anyone list older movies? I'm not familiar with many but I do remember watching one about a man and his wife who become bank robbers. I can't think of the name of it, but it was enjoyable. We might enjoy that one and other films similar to it.

Also, cowboys. What are some great cowboy films?

Are you thinking of Bonny and Clyde? I enjoyed that in my film class in high school.

No help on the cowboy movies.

• Like 2

Western:

High Noon

Old movies with a good story:

Auntie Mame (Rosiland Russel version, not Lucille Ball)

Arsenic and Old Lace

Any Alfred Hitchcock movie

A Majority of One (not only a great story but opens up discussion on discrimination in Hollywood. Alec Guiness is the lead and he is playing a Japanese Man.

Fiddler on the Roof

• Like 1

This is both an older film and a cowboy film, but I remember loving Silverado and Young Guns when I was a kid.

I don't remember anything questionable in Silverado off the top of my head, but there might be some things you would want to avoid in Young Guns depending on how open you are with your kids about language and s3x. 

Almost forgot about The Indian in the Cupboard. My kids love that one!

• Like 2

Hahaha!  definitely Arsenic and Old Lace and Silverado!

The Man Who Shot LIberty Valance

Rio Bravo

The Court Jester (Danny Kaye)

Mutiny on the Bounty

Edited by WendyAndMilo

I loved The Apple-Dumpling Gang as a kid. (Don Knotts and Tim Conway and a sweet story) My kids also loved Don Knotts in The Reluctant Astronaut and the story (not Don Knotts), Charlie the Lonesome Cougar. Oh, and The Cat from Outer Space. Those are all pretty old.

• Like 4

Some Older movies (and others that just jumped in):

Paper Moon

Born Free

Sounder

Yentl

the old Dr. Doolittle--but we prefer the newer one with Eddie Murphy, I think.

Pink Panther, but again we prefer the newer with Steve Martin

Free Willie?

Singin in the Rain

some John Wayne thing?

Pinocchio by ... forgot his name, an Italian, won an academy award for Life is Beautiful, had a clear enough story to follow it even without knowing Italian.

Moby Dick with William Hurt

The Grapes of Wrath with Henry Fonda

To Kill a Mockingbird, though maybe not appropriate for their stage/age...

maybe some old Robert Redford type movies?  Jeremiah Johnson perhaps?  haven't seen it recently, could be too something inappropriate...   The Sting, same comments as not necessarily appropriate for the boys ages.

Robin Hood (1938)

The Scarlet Pimpernel (1938 - but lots more to choose from)

The Ghost and Mrs Muir (this is a romance between a widow and a ghost, so If your sons aren't interested in romance - maybe not a good choice!)

Don Knotts movies:

The Incredible Mr Limpett

The Ghost and Mr Chicken

The Shakiest Gun in the West

The Reluctant Astronaut

• Like 2

I don't know about the GREAT storytelling, but a movie I love that I never see mentioned is Simon Birch.

It does have features I usually cannot stand in a movie.  For example, fairly early a character dies through a hard-to-believe, contrived situation.  

One of the main characters (both 12 yo boys) tries to grope a female Sunday school classmate and refers wistfully to the <<<chest area>>> of the girl and an adult character.  This character is so sympathetic overall that the movie gets a pass for that.  From me.  Which is really saying something. 

Some parents might object to some of the language.  Mostly the s word and one of the main characters being called a bastard a lot.  A lot of the plot revolves around his not knowing the identity of his father.

The story is very bittersweet.

Does anyone else like this movie? Is it just me?

• Like 1