Menu

Qdoba/Chipotle Style Homemade? UPDATE in Original Post!!

jen3kids

My oldest wants to serve qdoba or Chipotle for his Eagle Scout dinner, but at -$10-$13/person, it is a bit much for the 60 people we're expecting.

How difficult/easy is it to do a homemade version - rice, beans, veggies, chicken, ground beef, lettuce, cheese, guac, salsa? I have access to the church kitchen and warming trays, but not a lot of time unfortunately.

Thanks.

Jen

UPDATE:

We had too much food, and it was yummy.

We had about 50 people stay to eat dinner with us.

We prepared...

12 cups jasmine rice (oven method) and only needed 6 cups

10 green peppers and 5 red onions - used all of them

4 lbs dried black beans - needed 2 lbs

60 chicken thighs - needed only 30

20 avocados - would have used all of them, except they would not ripen so I ended up supplementing the 12 ripe ones with a few containers from Qdoba. - perfect amount

2 big bags shredded cheese - used all of it

3 containers sour cream - used 1 1/2

2 jars of each 4 kinds of salsa - used one of each

Thank you for all your help and recipe recommendations.

Edited by jen3kids
  • Like 2

It's not hard or even expensive, but it's a lot of ingredients to juggle. You'll need every crockpot and rice cooker you can find, but it's good buffet food. I'd do a batch of chicken, a batch of beef (or pork), vats of cilantro rice, black beans, and all the toppings. Get some chipotle powder. I thought I was addicted to Chipotle, it turns out that I was just addicted to the flavor of chipotle peppers and now that I have chipotle powder at home, I crave the restaurant much less. I'll bet you can pull it off for around $5-$8 a head.

• Like 2

Yes, we are back from Paris - I posted an update in that thread.

Thank you for all the recommendations.  Ds has given it a thumbs up, so I'm going to give it at try.  I have most of Saturday afternoon and evening to cook so I should be able to pull it off.  

If anyone has tried and true recipes and links, I'd love to see them.

Jen

• Like 2

Yes, we are back from Paris - I posted an update in that thread.

Thank you for all the recommendations. Ds has given it a thumbs up, so I'm going to give it at try. I have most of Saturday afternoon and evening to cook so I should be able to pull it off.

If anyone has tried and true recipes and links, I'd love to see them.

Jen

Do you have a rice cooker or can you borrow one? That would take care of that easily.

I'm sorry. I meant to link this:

http://www.culinaryhill.com/chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice/

She also has a recipe for black beans. If you're in a hurry, you can start with canned beans but rinse them really well.

Oh, and for guac...I just mash avocados and add salt. There are usually so many other flavors in the other ingredients that the pure avocado is refreshing.

If you add cilantro and a healthy squeeze of lime, you can make your rice taste almost exactly like Chipotle's. My DH adds a bit of Chipotle style spice (just a tad), but I don't think it is is necessary. We do burrito bowls with this rice and it really does taste just like a trip to Chipotle, but cheaper. :) 

• Like 2

If you add cilantro and a healthy squeeze of lime, you can make your rice taste almost exactly like Chipotle's. My DH adds a bit of Chipotle style spice (just a tad), but I don't think it is is necessary. We do burrito bowls with this rice and it really does taste just like a trip to Chipotle, but cheaper. :)

Yeah, I agree. And add a bay leaf during the cooking. That is basically what the recipe I linked above suggests.

• Like 1

What are you talking about? Jen mentioned ground beef in her OP.

Comments telling her not to serve ground beef and then (apropos of nothing) talking about Taco Bell are unnecessary and unhelpful.

Says you. But Chipotle doesn't serve ground beef. That is what Taco Bell serves. 

If one want to emulate the menu at Chipotle then serving ground beef is the most counter-productive choice a person could make.

Bill

• Like 1

I usually do a crockpot of chicken, a crockpot of beans, a crockpot of rice.  Then on the side I had shredded cheese, a couple salsas, sour cream, guac, lettuce, cilantro.  I have also done fajita veggies in a small crockpot.  Then hard shell and soft shells.  This really is my go to buffet to set up because it's easy to accommodate dairy and/or GF and or vegetarian/vegan.  We know lots of people with food restrictions.  I often choose chicken because I know other people who don't eat red meat.  I prefer the texture if I cook stove top and just keep warm in crock pots.

I think ground beef can be fine for taco fixings.  I don't set foot in places like taco bell either.  No it's not exactly "chipotle", but with good quality ingredients and spices, tastes great and we do that at home sometimes.

I also make my own spice mix now too.  No weird additives and not overly salty.  Tastes great and is simple to do.  Works well with chicken or beef (or thrown in beans)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/46653/taco-seasoning-i/

Says you. But Chipotle doesn't serve ground beef. That is what Taco Bell serves.

If one want to emulate the menu at Chipotle then serving ground beef is the most counter-productive choice a person could make.

Bill

But Qdoba does serve ground beef and Jen, who needs help, mentioned it in her OP.

It's not about you...it's about helping her.

• Like 5

In your opinion.

Some people enjoy ground beef.

Word. I crave ground beef, especially with taco seasonings. And I'm a high end tinned fish, dry aged rib eye, wild caught salmon eater most of the time! In most restaurant applications the quality of the meat isn't what makes a difference in mixed style dishes, but the additives be quality of the herbs and spices.

I've never been to a Chipotle and only eaten Qdoba once in SeaTac, but I am a meat fan.

While likely not on the same scale, but I just made knock off Cheesecake Factory lettuce wraps for 16. I marinated the chicken overnight, and then oven broiled it. It was <<<SO>>> much easier than grilling. I took cooling racks and lined all the chicken up on them. I used 2 large racks and half sheet drip pans for 3 large chicken packs. I used 425 on the broiler - cook 11/12 minutes, rotate once, cook 10/11 other side. I used tender meat because it was on sale and I thought it would cook the easiest (or I would have bought breasts and split them thinner). I checked the temps and I could have gone a little less on the time, but I'm a nervous chef. I think with cooking chicken ahead that way, chopping it up, and crock potting the beans, you could do all the prep ahead and just enjoy the day.

ETA - with access to the church kitchen (if it has an industrial oven), you could knock out the chicken fast . I had to do two runs, which was fine since it was so hands off, but a bigger oven would have been great. It does have to be exposed to the broiler, not just baked. I might do that, then chop and add a little liquid the next day before the ceremony (or go crazy and do it way early and freeze it), then warm in the oven during the set up and ceremony. With all the lettuce shredded, cheese grated, condiments out, chips, etc - you could do very hands off.

Congrats to your son!!

Don't forget to soak your beans the day before you plan to cook them.  You'll save a lot cooking dried beans over canned.

They freeze really well if you want to cook ahead and just reheat. So does the shredded meat. Or ground meat. Whatever your little heart desires!  :leaving:

• Like 1

We make this coypcat Chipotle rice recipe, found several years ago here on the boards.  I use regular veg oil and lime juice.

Chipotle black beans.

And while we're on the subject of Chipotle, here's a copycat honey-chipotle salad dressing that I love. I also make their sofritos, but the recipe I prefer has corn in it also. I think I need to make Mexican food really soon!

• Like 1

Or she could quick soak them. She did say time was an issue, that's why I suggested starting with canned.

True.  I buy canned black beans at Costco and keep them on hand for quick meals.  However, when I'm organized, I do prefer to make them from dried because they taste better that way.  It looks like she's cooking on Saturday.  With that timeline I would:

Thursday:  steal all my friends' crockpots and rice cookers

Friday night:  soak beans (black, pinto, or both), season meat and cook overnight in multiple crockpots (but don't overcook!)

Saturday afternoon/evening:  Shred meats and adjust seasoning, cook beans, prep vegetables, toppings, and guacamole

Sunday (event day?): Steam rice, reheat meats and beans and keep warm in crockpots, set up food service

We make this coypcat Chipotle rice recipe, found several years ago here on the boards. I use regular veg oil and lime juice.

Chipotle black beans.

And while we're on the subject of Chipotle, here's a copycat honey-chipotle salad dressing that I love. I also make their sofritos, but the recipe I prefer has corn in it also. I think I need to make Mexican food really soon!

Muchos gracias! I'm going to make all of these very soon. Yum!

I love Chipotle and we do our own burrito bowl versions at home, all the time!

I have a Sweet Mex Pork I make in the crock pot:

3 lb. pork roast

16 oz salsa

1 can coke

1 c. brown sugar

(Place pork in crock pot and fill halfway with water.  Cook 4 hrs on high.  Drain and cut into large chunks.  Mix rest of the ingredients and pour over pork.  Cook 4 more hours on low.  Remove from sauce and shred.  Reserve a bit of sauce for flavor/mix in.)

We also do a Sweet Slow Cooker Chicken.

We usually serve with:

rice (just plain white rice, but sometimes with cilantro and lime juice squeezed in)

Mex. blend cheese

black beans

sour cream

lettuce, tomato

jalepeños

more cilantro

salsa

CORN SALSA - there are lots of copycat recipes online for Chipotle's corn salsa, which I  :drool5:

• Like 1

And those folks go to Taco Bell

Bill

I like Taco Bell. And Qdoba. And Chipotle. And ground beef. And other kinds of beef.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. People can like all kinds of food -- even Taco Bell and ground beef.

Are we really going to mock people for eating at Taco Bell or using ground beef in their recipes? That's not helpful. It's mean.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

This what I'm doing for a crowd this weekend when the relatives start rolling in.

I found a big, cheap roast yesterday for $3/pound in the reduced bin that will become the shredded beef. We'll do chicken too, and then lime/cilantro rice in the rice cooker with all of the fixings on the side.

It also freezes well BTW if you have leftover meat.

I like Taco Bell. And Qdoba. And Chipotle. And ground beef. And other kinds of beef.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. People can like all kinds of food -- even Taco Bell and ground beef.

Are we really going to mock people for eating at Taco Bell or using ground beef in their recipes? That's not helpful. It's mean.

Mocking? If people like the style of Taco Bell they can go there and get "tacos" made with ground beef. If they want to serve party with Chipotle-style food, then they are better off stewing meat (the way Chipotle does). Ground meat doesn't match the criterion. It would kill that vibe. 

Stating the obvious is not "mocking." 

The advice I'm offering is very good advice. Not mean. Sound.

Bill

• Like 1

I have this Saucy Southwest Shredded Beef on my "to try" list.  Sounds good.

If you want a big pan of something yummy, we've made this before but upped the cheese, added a wee bit of salsa between layers and took out the tortillas.  Oh, and I subbed Cheddar Soup instead of cream of mushroom.  It was good as originally intended, but REALLY good after the changes.  We served with scoop chips and warmed tortillas (to fill your own burrito).  Also with sour cream and stuff on the side.

Thank you everyone.

I've bought all the ingredients, I think and hope!  I am serving chicken burrito bowls with tortilla chips.

Can someone double check my amounts?  I'd hate to run out of food, and I can always freeze leftovers!  I am expecting up to 60 people (probably 15 teenage boys and the rest adults)...

I figured, per person,  I'd need  

1/2 cup rice

1/4 cup beans

1/4 lb chicken 

So...

30 cups of cooked rice

15 cups of beans

15 lbs of chicken 

Other toppings...

green peppers and onions (I bought 6 green peppers and 5 red onions)

3 kinds of salsa (2 Tbsp/person)

shredded cheese (2 Tbsp/person)

sour cream (2 Tbsp/person)

guacamole - I bought 10 avocados, because I really had no idea!

TIA!

Jen

The chicken amount looks generous to me but we eat a lot more than 1/4 cup servings of beans. Vegetarians will certainly eat more than that. I'd probably also make a little more rice- like maybe 5 more cups.  People love cheese.  I'd guess maybe an ounce per person. 

What size bowls are you serving it in? If your bowls are large, that will encourage people to take large servings. 

I think you should be okay with your chicken, but I would up the amounts for everything else.  I would at least double most of the topping amounts, and I would triple the salsa and green peppers/onions. 

If you have someone doling out servings, though, you should be fine.

Sounds like a great time!!!!