Menu

Paris for 4 Days - what to do?

jen3kids

Dh is going on a business trip and I am tagging along.

We are taking the red-eye, arriving on Wednesday morning and leaving Sunday morning.  I will have all day Thursday and Friday morning by myself.  We have Wednesday, Friday afternoon and Saturday together.  We are staying at the Westin Paris - Vendome.

What do you suggest?  A daily itinerary would be helpful.  Dh wants to go to Le Louvre and the Eiffel Tower, so those have to be on Wednesday or Saturday.  He's not sure what else he wants to see.  I want to go to Versailles and I'd really like to go to Juno Beach, but that is a full day trip, so I don't think I'll get there.

I'm not a huge fan of art or architecture, but I love to walk outside and look around.  I've heard Montmartre is amazing and challenging - perfect for me, but I don't think dh's bum knee can handle the climb.

Thank you.

Jen

I was just there in February. If you love art, this is the city for you!

Where will you be staying? Your location will dictate some of the daily schedule for you because you have to build in the time for public transportation - it can take a while to get to each destination - and all the walking.

As an example, we stayed at the Hotel Splendid Tour Eiffel, Avenue De Tourville. This was fairly close - walking distance - to the Eiffel, and had a bus and metro stop very close by which was convenient. We were across from the Ecole de Militaire.

Our first day we went to the Musee d'Orssay got some lunch, and then went to the fabric district. Since my sister and I are nuts for all things fabric, this took up the rest of our day, LOL.  We then walked down to the Eiffel to see it lit up at night, but did not go up.

Day two - Louvre. It's an all day thing, and you still won't come close to seeing everything if you really love art. We took a night cruise on the Seine, and then back to the hotel after supper.

Day three - Musee de l'Orangerie (all the gorgeous Monet water lillies plus some other profound impressionistic art) and Notre Dame. It took a while to get from one to the other on the bus. I want to say an hour to an hour and half that day. I was at that point pretty tired - only 7 months from our really bad car accident so my stamina wasn't great - and we went back to the hotel even though there would have been time to see one more site. Musee de l'Orangerie is small but totally worth the time. Since I spent an awful lot of time studying paintings, it probably took much more of the day than it would the average person.

• Like 1

We loved Montmartre. Yes, there are lots of steps up to Sacre Cœur but the view is fantastic! We took a boat ride on the Seine on the Bateaux Mouches. The Louvre was amazing and so huge you have to pick what areas you want to see. You said you are not a big art fan but last year we went to the Musee d'Orsay and loved it. It's 19th century art so lots of Impressionism. They had a special Van Gogh exhibit when we went. Don't miss Notre Dame! Luxembourg Gardens is a beautiful park where we ate a picnic lunch and walked all around. We also walked down the Champs Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe.

Sorry I didn't put this in itinerary form. We spent a few days in Paris last summer (2014) and also this summer.

The Louvre and the Eiffel tower for certain. You could do the Louvre one day and the Eiffel tower in the evening. We liked the following:

Musee de Armee (Army museum)

Musee de Rodin (these two are right next to each other so you can combine them)

I liked the Musee d'Orsay, but you may be tired of museums.

I would have one day and just walk around. Plan a picnic lunch. Walk up and down the Champs Elysees. Pick a cemetery to visit.

Try the macarons and chocolates. Do not be surprised if the restaurant food is expensive and not very good. The various sandwich shops and bakeries are delicious.

ETA: I forgot Notre Dame. That's a great place to visit and there's a market around it if I remember correctly. I also liked Sainte-Chapelle. I took an architectural history class in college so it was exciting to see all these beautiful cathedrals.

Oops, just saw you are not a huge art fan. Okay, if you love fabric you really need to go to the fabric district. It is SOOOOO worth the time. So much fun. When are you going? If it is a nice time of years, the Luxembourg Gardens might be something you would enjoy. Quite beautiful! The Seine boat ride is peaceful and relaxing, a great way to see some of Paris without going to a lot of architectural sites if those aren't particularly interesting to you. You could also book a food tour. Those are becoming popular, and well, for some foodies, Paris is heaven!

I just got back from a week there. I'm not a huge art person, but I still appreciated the d'Orsay and the Orangerie. We spent almost all our time at the Louvre just with the Greek sculpture. It was amazing.

You probably can't get advanced tickets for the Eiffel Tower now and you will wait in line for tickets, wait in line for the elevator to the lower level, and then wait some more for the elevator to the top. It is a lot of standing in line-at least two hours for us total and we already had tickets through a tour. I guess it's a must do once, but I wouldn't bother again.

Loved Sacre Couer. You can take the incline train and avoid the steps. We climbed the tower of the church itself though which is a workout!

Getting around is so easy. The metro is easy, the buses are easy, and the trains are fairly easy. Stops are everywhere. Get a carney of ten tickets-it's a bargain. One evening I just hopped a bus by myself and rode around enjoying the beauty of the city all lit up.

Versailles was not our favorite, but we loved Vaux Le Vicomte. The inside wasn't as spectacular, but it was all more manageable and much less crowded. We timed Versailles wrong and waited in line over an hour for security. When we came out, it was probably twenty minutes. Oh well.

I walked around ducking into churches when I saw them because I love old cathedrals. We were staying in the Opera area and there were several stunning ones. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Following along... I was there in August but will have excactly 4 days there again in December, with the kids.

Eta, of all the touristy things, I thought waiting in line (first thing in the morning was best) to climb to the top of Notre Dame was worth it. We even did it with the 4 year old in the carrier.

• Like 1

If you like sacred, classical music, there are often concerts in the churches. One night was Georgian Chants in Notre Dame which we couldn't get to but I would have loved.

I thought the food was really good. We are vegetarian which seems like a sad situation in Paris, but the bread, cheese, and salads were amazing. If you don't mind missing meat, go to La Verriere right near the Eiffel Tower. It's a buffet of all sorts of yummy stuff for reasonable prices.

Edited to add that I don't know when you are planning this, but if it is when Giverny is open (it's closed now for the season I'm pretty sure) I would recommend that for a day trip, though with your limited time, day trips might not be a priority. I loved it, even in the middle of October when not as much was blooming.

• Like 2

We did the Eiffel Tower in the morning, then the Louvre in the afternoon. It's very possible to do both in one day. We didn't have advanced tickets for the tower, but the lines weren't really that bad. We arrived around 9am-ish and really spent the ENTIRE morning there just because that's what we wanted to do. Dds wanted to climb the steps so they did that while we got our tickets and waited in line, then met at the 1st level. This was on a Friday -- Saturdays might be more crowded.

True confession -- none of us liked the Louvre. The layout is a total mess (we were at the British Museum the next week, and dd kept pointing out how nicely labelled all of the rooms and alcoves were). Hordes of tourists taking photos of all of the art and/or videos of entire rooms rather than actually looking at the stuff while it was in front of them.

On the other hand, we all liked Musee d'Orsay. I loved the gardens at Musee Rodin and also at Luxembourg. Dh and I went to Luxembourg on Saturday morning (our hotel was nearby) and I really loved watching how people used the park.

Really, the most fun was just walking around observing people, window shopping, and eating. We also went to the Cat Cafe. The kids went to a clothing resale shop just to see what it was like.

I put the Citymapper app on our phones so we always knew which buses and Metros to take.

Have fun! Eat lots!

• Like 4

If I could only do one museum, I would do the d'Orsay.  I love, love, love the d'Orsay!!

I also highly recommend a river cruise at night - fabulous!

Anne

I love the d'Orsay. If someone would point out where a shower is, I'd move in. Love that place.

The Louvre used to do an English language tour about 11am. (It's been a few years so check on that.) The tour lasted about an hour and a half or so and hit the high points of the museum (the Venus, the Mona Lisa, as well as other things). We took that tour several times with visiting guests and always thought it was well done.

My family enjoyed the Samaritain (sp?!) department store. There was a favorite crepe place one of the entrance doors near Pont Neuf and the store has a rooftop with a pretty view. I hope my memory is correct.

I second the boat tour, especially at night.

Grab a Rick Steves guidebook.

• Like 1

We did the Eiffel Tower in the morning, then the Louvre in the afternoon. It's very possible to do both in one day. We didn't have advanced tickets for the tower, but the lines weren't really that bad. We arrived around 9am-ish and really spent the ENTIRE morning there just because that's what we wanted to do. Dds wanted to climb the steps so they did that while we got our tickets and waited in line, then met at the 1st level. This was on a Friday -- Saturdays might be more crowded.

True confession -- none of us liked the Louvre. The layout is a total mess (we were at the British Museum the next week, and dd kept pointing out how nicely labelled all of the rooms and alcoves were). Hordes of tourists taking photos of all of the art and/or videos of entire rooms rather than actually looking at the stuff while it was in front of them.

On the other hand, we all liked Musee d'Orsay. I loved the gardens at Musee Rodin and also at Luxembourg. Dh and I went to Luxembourg on Saturday morning (our hotel was nearby) and I really loved watching how people used the park.

Really, the most fun was just walking around observing people, window shopping, and eating. We also went to the Cat Cafe. The kids went to a clothing resale shop just to see what it was like.

I put the Citymapper app on our phones so we always knew which buses and Metros to take.

Have fun! Eat lots!

Care to share the resale shop if the kids liked it? I've done most of the touristy stuff so need to find other ways to entertain self, 4 and 11 year old. I find paris a little lacking in playgrounds esp when compared to London. D'orsey is already on the list.

New idea.... what if I wanted to go to the D-day beaches or to Vimy Ridge? Any suggestions/recommendations? I know it would be a very long day, but there seems to be daily trips from Paris.

And, we're going next week!!!

My inlaws did the D day beaches this summer (we stayed in Paris)--I think it's definitely an overnight trip.

New idea.... what if I wanted to go to the D-day beaches or to Vimy Ridge?  Any suggestions/recommendations?  I know it would be a very long day, but there seems to be daily trips from Paris.  

If you have two days on your own, I would look at what the weather might be like.  If it might rain, I would plan an "indoor day", with museums and the like, and an "outdoor day", with just walking around, people watching, sitting in outdoor cafe, etc.  If the weather is nice your first free day, do your "outdoor day", otherwise, hope that you won't get rain two days in a row.

You probably can't get advanced tickets for the Eiffel Tower now and you will wait in line for tickets, wait in line for the elevator to the lower level, and then wait some more for the elevator to the top. It is a lot of standing in line-at least two hours for us total and we already had tickets through a tour. I guess it's a must do once, but I wouldn't bother again.

!

Walk up the stairs to the first level. You can buy tickets there and there will be no line.

DH and I spent a day there. We took the Chunnel train from London. We saw Notre Dame, Louve, Eiffel Tower, had lunch and a stop for French Pasteries. We did it all on foot except the Taxi back to the train from the Eiffel Tower.

Just a tip, the Eiffel Towet isn't just right there from the Louve. It's a very, very, long walk. LOL.

• Like 2

New idea.... what if I wanted to go to the D-day beaches or to Vimy Ridge?  Any suggestions/recommendations?  I know it would be a very long day, but there seems to be daily trips from Paris.  

Can't comment on D Day beaches but if you are looking for a day trip (it would be a very long day) Mont St. Michel is really interesting.

Did you rent the earphones and portable game system thing at the Louvre? We did and it was helpful for navigating around. Also, in each room a few pieces were explained via audio. You could choose which ones you wanted to hear. I would do that again, or go on a guided tour.

We spent last weekend in Paris. For the Louvre I would pick one of these trails to followhttp://www.louvre.fr/en/parcours. It looks like you won't see much but by the time you go to everything on the list you will have seen quite a bit. Dd and I could have stayed for a couple of days at least....dh and ds saw the Mona Lisa and considered themselves done. The tours are a good compromise. I have heard that there are good real people restaurants if you walk a couple of blocks away.

The lines to the top of Notre Dame were huge. Saturday is not a good day to tour.....weddings kept us out once on a Saturday also. Make sure you walk completely around the exterior. The back portion with the flying buttresses is spectacular. Laura's tour of the islands looks great. We have done that but not as organised. The islands are special. Imo

We were just there in May and it was beautiful!  

It's tough to get to Normandy/Juno Beach on a day trip - you'd have to leave very early, stay only a short while, and come home late, so I'd stick to Paris and its environs if I couldn't stay longer than a day.  I like Normandy better than Paris, but not for just a day.  Alternately, you can spend 2 days in Normandy (still rushed, but do-able) and 2 in Paris.  If you opt for this, grab the train right into Caen or Bayeux and rent a car for the drive up into Normandy.  Stop in Bayeux and see the Bayeux tapestry and cathedral one day, and the beaches and cemeteries in Normandy the next.  Caen, Bayeux, and the little towns in Normandy have lots of small, modest hotels with terrific hospitality.

If you don't want to split your trip 2 days Normandy/2 days Paris, then:

One day:  Versailles is a crowded nuthouse unless you go in January-March.  For a nice day trip, I recommend Chateau Chantilly instead - stunningly impressive, the grounds are more beautiful than Versailles, and no crowds.  Alternately, Monet's gardens at Giverny are beautiful and peaceful, and are fairly close to Paris.  Even a non-artist like myself loves that.  I would take a day and do one of those options instead of Versailles. 

Second Day:  The Eiffel Tower is over-rated and I wouldn't spend the time or money to go up into it.  But it's nice to look at, so I would do that one day, cross the street to the Trocadero at sunset (the view from there is awesome!), and then stroll the Champs-Elysees at night and take in the Arc de Triomphe. 

Third Day:  Louvre on one of your days (but the Orsay is a nicer museum with fewer crowds).

Fourth Day:  Notre Dame.  Then walk along the Seine and into the Latin Quarter and have dinner there.

Have fun!  I'm jealous and want to go back!

• Like 1

If the had 4 days in Paris, I would go to art museums, street cafes, and shops and participate in the life of the city. I'd just be part of the Life of the City and never stop smiling. I love Paris. Oh. And Mont Marre. And Sacre Coeur. And street markets for food. It needn't be expensive excep for the shoes you buy before you go so you can walk and walk and walk.

OP: You began this thread on the 4th of November and I wondered... Tonight, the Friday the 13th terrorist attacks in Paris are going on as I type this. France and Europe are full of Muslims. Some of them are barbaric Muslim terrorists. I suggest that your DH and his employer rethink the idea of him going to Paris, because of ongoing Security problems. I suggest that you stay home if he does go to Europe.  The chance of something horrible happening to your DH if he goes to Paris are small, but there are risks.  Check in with the ACS (American Citizen Services unit) in the U.S. Embassy in Paris, if your DH does go there and be sure to Register with them before the trip.  Better for the people your DH was going to visit with in Paris to go to the USA and visit with him in his office in the USA.

• Like 2

OP: You began this thread on the 4th of November and I wondered... Tonight, the Friday the 13th terrorist attacks in Paris are going on as I type this. France and Europe are full of Muslims. Some of them are barbaric Muslim terrorists. I suggest that your DH and his employer rethink the idea of him going to Paris, because of ongoing Security problems. I suggest that you stay home if he does go to Europe. The chance of something horrible happening to your DH if he goes to Paris are small, but there are risks. Check in with the ACS (American Citizen Services unit) in the U.S. Embassy in Paris, if your DH does go there and be sure to Register with them before the trip. Better for the people your DH was going to visit with in Paris to go to the USA and visit with him in his office in the USA.

From what she said, I think they're already there. :( I hope they're okay.

• Like 1

New idea.... what if I wanted to go to the D-day beaches or to Vimy Ridge? Any suggestions/recommendations? I know it would be a very long day, but there seems to be daily trips from Paris.

Oh, no. I was re-reading in the hopes that she meant "a" Wednesday-Sunday, not "this" Wednesday-Sunday.

I hope they're OK.

• Like 5

I toured them all. But you won't be close by. They are in the north, Normandy. You could take the train to Caen - about $75.00 round trip and then getting a bus tour to the coast. I have no idea what the cost of a tour would be, but I will say that it was amazing to go to the Battlefields, the cemeteries, the coastal towns. It is amazing. If memory serves, it takes about four hours maybe six, but I think only four, to get to Caen. Given the same to return, you'd need to book a hotel in Caen or Bayeux (if you can pick up the bus to Bayeux that evening), or even Arramanches. It would be so worth the trip, but you would have to separate from your husband during the trip in order to do it since Paris is not close.

Have you seen the news out of Paris yet?

OP: You began this thread on the 4th of November and I wondered... Tonight, the Friday the 13th terrorist attacks in Paris are going on as I type this. France and Europe are full of Muslims. Some of them are barbaric Muslim terrorists. I suggest that your DH and his employer rethink the idea of him going to Paris, because of ongoing Security problems. I suggest that you stay home if he does go to Europe.  The chance of something horrible happening to your DH if he goes to Paris are small, but there are risks.  Check in with the ACS (American Citizen Services unit) in the U.S. Embassy in Paris, if your DH does go there and be sure to Register with them before the trip.  Better for the people your DH was going to visit with in Paris to go to the USA and visit with him in his office in the USA.

Of course I hope that Jen and her husband are safe, but Lanny, really, warning that "France and Europe are full of Muslims" and "barbaric Muslim terrorists" is not helpful. It is offensive. And one would hope that tonight of all nights one would try to have a little humanity.

• Like 34

Jenn, I hope you are ok. Your family was one of the first things I thought of when I saw the news.

And it's nice to see that, as always, Lanny is keeping it klassy.  Do you think, Lanny, you could try to not make it about you and your insecurities? You know that this is going to get a response, as it should, and I know you love it, but really?  Now?

• Like 5