Menu

Supplements or vitamins that have really made a difference?

Gwenny

I'd love to know what supplements or vitamins you have taken that have made an impact on your health.  Generally, I take a supplement because I hope or think it's healthy for me, but I never see or feel any difference.  I just started taking spirulina a few weeks ago and I've noticed all these short hairs sticking up wherever I part my hair.  The reason I started taking it was for overall good health, and was surprised to see new hair growth.  My hair is thin, so I'm quite pleased. 

It got me wondering what other supplements might I benefit from?  I'm not into taking synthetic vitamins, or really any vitamins at all, so spirulina is all I take.  I always read reviews on Amazon and think they feel results because they expect to.  Maybe it's because I don't have any health problems or deficiencies to start with?  I juice vegetables every morning and try to eat healthy foods, but I can't say I see or feel any results from it.  I didn't have any weight to lose or health problems before I started those things. 

Well, iron supplements for me. If I don't take it I am guaranteed to be deficient in iron. At least til I hit menopause.

There are other supplements that I think work. I believe I have more energy when I take my vitamin D3 and liquid multivitamin with B complex. I'm pretty convinced that L-theanine helps with stress.

They have only made a difference in my wallet.  I have tried various supplements/vitamins in the past, but I never noticed any difference. 

This is how I generally feel.  The kids and I also take cod liver oil and it's expensive.  I don't see a lick of difference, except in my wallet.  But for some reason, we still take it.  I guess I like to think it's boosting our immune systems and helping our hearts and brains.

• Like 1

Thorne multivitamins, recommended by my ND, make a huge difference for me and my husband. Huge! For as much as I struggle with sleep and other health problems, I'm basically bed ridden and unable to string two words together coherently without those multis. It is pretty much only the Thorne vitamins that make such a huge difference. They are great for people with MTHFR.

My husband is incredibly healthy with not sleep issues. He has much more energy and can wake up earlier when taking the vitamins.  

I rotate between the varying Thorne multis depending on my nutrient needs (with or without iron, copper, iodine, for example). 

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Basic-Nutrients-V-180-Veggie-Caps/18123

• Like 1

Vit D3,

chlorella (very similar to spurlina), keeps things moving nicely along ;)  

Fermented cod liver oil.  We all used to visit the dr at least twice a year or so for seasonal illnesses, but none of us have gone for that reason once since starting to take this.  It's been 3 yrs.  We get little stuff but it never takes root and leaves quickly.  

Evening Primrose Oil...this has a had a huge positive impact on my hormones, moods, PMS.  DD too.

I take Valerian as needed for calmness, or a little better sleep..

Tumeric for inflammation issues.  (this is the only one I take on 'faith' that it's supposed to work.  The rest I see definite results from).

I use magnesium oil on our skin.  

I am taking a few that I think have caused actual changes.

Magnesium: helps me sleep.

Melotonin: helps me sleep

Valarian: helps me sleep

Ummm... I have problems sleeping, ok?  I have a sleep phase disorder and it is no picnic, so anything that helps me sleep and function is a winner.

Progesterone cream: helping with hormonal changes. 

Vitex: helping with hormonal changes

These two together have been a game changer for me.  I feel like I did 15 years ago when it comes to my cycle. No sore breasts for weeks on end, no mood swings, much less cramping. I cut my vitex does in half last cycle just to see if it made a difference...never again! 

Herbs to help with varicose veins: ok, this is a bit of a story, but here it goes.  Last spring I was having some serious issues with..well... hemorrhoids.  It started with my second pregnancy, as so many of us have experienced, but it didn't cause many problems.  But then it started flaring up more and more often, instead of once a year.  Soon it was a problem more often than not. Then, even when it was not all inflamed it was causing me a lot of pain. So, I was pretty much in pain all the time.  I didn't want to go the doctor b/c I was convinced she was going to tell me I needed surgery and OMG I am NOT old enough to have surgery on my butt and just be all calm about it.  I've heard plenty of old people sit around and talk about their hemorrhoid surgery all matter of fact, but I am NOT, ok? But this was bad and I didn't know how much longer I could stand it.

So, before that got all crisis like, I had mentioned to my doctor that I have been having trouble with my ankles swelling. Also a little 'gift' from pregnancy.  She isn't going to give me a diuretic because she doesn't think it is warranted, but she suggests I do some research  into herbs that help with water retention b/c she has 'heard good things'.  Fine. Thanks.

So, I do some research and from water retention I start seeing stuff on varicose veins.  I don't have varicose veins, but I read, as someone points out, hemorrhoids are a type of varicose vein.  Bingo.

I start talking some individual herbs, I think three, that are supposed to help.  When those are gone, I switch to a single mult-herb supplement for varicose veins.  Guess what? It is now 4 months later and I am pain and hemorrhoid free. Like NO PROBLEMS.  None.  Zippo. I am all better! it's like the problem never existed.

And one side effect? The bags under my eyes (inherited family trait) are much, much smaller. My husband even noticed and he didn't notice when I got bangs.

• Like 3

Complex Vitamin B supplement.  I started to take it because my hair was thinning.  Didn't do anything for that but it stopped my heart palpitations, ended my insomnia, got rid of my extremely itchy skin and I have a lot more energy and focus. No more panic attacks or anxiety either. However, my doctor had diagnosed a slight deficiency and neither B6 nor B12 alone did anything at all so I am not sure which B vitamin is actually helping.  

• Like 4

I tried so many things over the years but didn't seem to find any help. I stated going to a nutritionist about 7 years ago and THAT made the difference. She used the same supplements I was trying and some I had not heard of...but she had completely different combination, dosages, etc.

she got me on track for feeling a lot better and when I start feeling crummy again, I go back and she changed the program and its better again within 24-48 hours. She also got my do squared away and several of my friends.

My Western MD says to keep going to her--he says it is all he can do to keep up with Western medicine, which has nothing roofer my problems, but he sees the enormous difference with this program and her insight.

Long answer to say that "what helps" changes and I couldn't get there on my own.

I feel like Vitamin D and C help my immune system, but it's hard to know what illnesses you DIDN'T get. I know my D blood levels are fine, despite living in a not-so-sunny place. I take a multi to make sure the basics are covered (I don't eat enough veggies). I take a calcium to keep the bones strong and healthy--again, hard to measure the effect.

One that did nothing for me was Biotin. I took it hoping it would keep my fingernails from splitting but they split just as much. They get pretty bad in spring after the drying air of winter.

Both probiotics and a well rounded multi make a difference for me.  I can feel a difference if I miss a day or 2 for sure.  I do have IBS though.  With the multi, I tend to have restless legs at night and I think I do tend toward anxiety more without a well rounded multi. 

Redsquirrel, what herbs do you take for varicose veins?  I have one going down one leg from pregnancy.  They only ache (no swelling) when Aunt Flo is visiting, so it really doesn't bother me.  But it would be nice to be rid of it.

Ok, when I started in June I bought three things: I took Butchers Broom, Horse chestnut, and something called "diosvein" that had Diosmin and Hesperidin.  I took them all twice a day.  I can't say that there was a dramatic change, but I did notice much less pain gradually over time. Then, I just wasn't thinking about it at all, which was a nice change.

When I ran out of those I switched over to Jarrow Venous Optimizer. It has what I was taking all in one supplement. I take one pill, two times a day.  I ran out two weeks ago and there has been no relapse, but I have more coming and I will take it again. 

YMMV of course, but it has made a big difference to me

• Like 1

For the most part, the "supplements" I take are through careful food choices. I believe that nutrients are best taken in combination with the other nutrients in the same food. I feel wonderful after taking in nutrients this way and exercising regularly. I choose foods now for what they can do for my body rather than what they can do for my taste buds. Another way of saying it is that I treat potential foods as employees: how much work will they do for my body? What benefits will they bring me? 

Some of the daily workhorses: fresh spinach, onions, garlic, blueberries, avocado, olive oil, some kind of nuts, either yogurt or kefir as a source of probiotics . I have recently started drinking 2 T of tart cherry juice concentrate for the melatonin and antiinflammatory properties. Coffee, green tea, and a little dark chocolate are other functional foods I eat. A variety of other fruits and veges, mostly what's in season. A few whole grains per day. 

Regularly ( a few times per week): Omega 3 fish (wild caught Pacific salmon; I use canned salmon or silverbrite from Trader Joe's. I also eat sardines not because I love them but because they are a cheap source of Omega 3s and are very low on the contamination scale.) Beans of some sort. 

The only supplement I take is Vit D. I couldn't increase my blood levels through eating or regular 20 min sun exposure, so I decided to take the supplements.

One reason I tend to avoid supplements is that there have been several recommendations from the medical community about them which are then retracted because there has been actual harm done: Vit E, beta carotene, and more recently calcium are some that come to mind off the top of my head. The other reason is that unless they are tested by an independent lab, there is no way to know what is in them and what concentration it is. There is no regulation/oversight if something is labeled a "dietary supplement." 

• Like 3

For the most part, the "supplements" I take are through careful food choices. I believe that nutrients are best taken in combination with the other nutrients in the same food. I feel wonderful after taking in nutrients this way and exercising regularly. I choose foods now for what they can do for my body rather than what they can do for my taste buds. Another way of saying it is that I treat potential foods as employees: how much work will they do for my body? What benefits will they bring me? 

I take a similar approach.  After reading a book on superfoods years ago, I try to fit many of these types of food into my daily diet.  It's almost like a challenge to myself to fit them all in a day.

My everyday list is:

-green tea

-green juice with ginger, carrot, 1/2 apple, celery, 1/2 lemon, and whatever is growing in the garden

-2 TBS flax and 2 TBS chia seed - mixed with green juice

-on my lunch salad - walnuts, mushroom, onion, olive oil, and sometimes beans

-very dark chocolate

-honey

-1 clove garlic

-spirulina

-cod liver oil

I try to eat blueberries a few times a week and I put red palm oil on my popcorn a few times a week, too.

Now that I've typed that, I realize it sounds a little nutty. 

I've been advised by more than one doctor to take fish oil and Vitamin D, so I take those. I think the evidence for those is pretty compelling. I live in an extraordinarily sunny place, and even so my family doctor told me that he went through a time when he routinely checked his patients' Vit D levels, and since everyone he tested was deficient, he stopped bothering with the test and just started recommending the supplement. So I figure that if even people who live here, at high altitude with bright sunlight 360 days a year, can be deficient, probably everybody could use Vit D.

Those are more for long-term health, so I don't expect any noticeable short-term benefits, and haven't found any. I've tried other supplements in the past, and gotten zero results. My theory is that unless you are deficient, you're not going to be helped by supplements. Herbs never did anything for me either. Nor did the incredibly overpriced "superfood" supplements that I tried. Cutting sugar out of my diet has been the single best thing I've ever done for my health. I think foods are more powerful than supplements: I tried probiotics for chronic digestive problems, with little to show for it. I cut out grains and started eating more fermented foods, and that made all the difference.

So, I'm a skeptic. But this might help - this is an interactive chart that shows you what (if any) evidence exists for various supplements: http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/snake-oil-supplements/

• Like 1

The only one I use regularly is iron, since I am so prone to low levels. It also will stop an attack of restless legs in just a few minutes for me. Any of you who live farther north where days are super short in the winter have any success with Vitamin D? This time of year makes me want to hibernate :)

I was going to suggest Spirulina :).  I don't notice a super burst of energy or anything when I take it, but when I try to stop taking it I become more lethargic and am more foggy-brained.

Next on my list is Evening Primrose Oil.  Dh notices a big difference in my patience level during prime PMS time.  I didn't tell him I was taking it and he made a comment after about 2 months that he didn't even notice that it was about that time.

I also find a magnesium supplement is necessary for me.  Otherwise I get a ton of muscle aches.  I do have autoimmune hepatitis and may lupus signs, so I wouldn't recommend this one unless you've got  muscle aches/pains.  I also take a multivitamin, iron, Omega 3-6-9, and vitamin D.  I'm on medicine that effects my blood, hence the iron, and I'm also vitamin D deficient.

I purchase all of my supplements from Amazon--the NOW brand.

• Like 1

I take iron, vitamin d, b complex, probiotics, and either fish oil or cod liver oil. The ones that seem to make the biggest difference are the iron and the vitamin d. If I quit taking them, I definitely notice a difference. Without the iron I feel lethargic and awful, without the vitamin d I'm grumpy, anxious, and have horrible heart palpitations.

I was having some symptoms caused by very low B12 and iron deficiencies.  I had to be on B-12 injections 3 times a week for weeks, then twice a week for weeks, then once a week for weeks and now I get them every other week and will for the rest of my life.  Very low levels cannot be corrected by over the counter supplements, they can only be maintained by supplements once levels are back to normal.  The shots are easier for me and they're only $10 each. 

The B-12 improved but didn't correct the anemia, so I take an iron pill every other day to maintain normal levels. 

• Like 1

I take betaine hcl and it's allowed me to stop taking nexium.  In addition, I take probiotics, milk thistle (for my liver), Mega B complex, vitamin d, iodine, and magnesium.  I do think these things have helped improve some health issues.  I have a vitamin B12 and D deficiencies.  

for multi vitamins - molecular form matters.  I used to take a med. quality b-complex you can buy at pharmacies or costco.  the only time i noticed anything was when I hadn't been taking it for at least a week.  that was the only difference I noticed, and it was that I felt worse when I did NOT take it.   then I started taking my son to a naturopath - and learned more about bioavailability/molecular form/etc.   I switched to another brand (emerald laboratories) - and after about 10 days, I felt like someone switched on the power. I felt a lot better.

vitamin d3 is one in which people tend to be deficient, and affects a whole host of body systems.  it has actually been/is under discussion for being reclassified as a hormone. based upon the number of body systems dependent upon it, and how it is produced in the body.  (and since i don't absorb it very well - drops are better - I take as much as 6,000 IU's *a day*.  I've been doing this for three years - and I still have a d3 level below 50.  but it is rising.)

as for other supplements - it really depends upon your own individual needs.  I have a genetic predisposition to serious b-complex deficiencies (e.g. you take lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.  I can eat b vitamins, that doesn't mean my body will use them)

some high quality brands are:

thorne

douglas labs

pure encapsulations

emerald laboratories

NOW (the above are better. but it's cheaper.)

This is how I generally feel.  The kids and I also take cod liver oil and it's expensive.  I don't see a lick of difference, except in my wallet.  But for some reason, we still take it.  I guess I like to think it's boosting our immune systems and helping our hearts and brains.

I did the cod liver oil for awhile, but my hair started falling out.  So I stopped.  Don't know if that was the cause, but my hair was normal after that.  And I have a lot of hair, so if clumps fall out I definitely notice.

I'm reading this with interest. I have a pms period that seems to take most of my life (I feel like it lasts at least two weeks) and I really need to find the correct supplements to counter the moods, depression, and ridiculous weight gain. It's like living with a chronic disease that shows up 2 weeks out of the month. So far I've been taking evening primrose oil. It helps a little, but it's hard to tell. I am not cured though.

I also take vit B for energy and some sort of fermented liver oil though again, no idea if they work.

Eta that I eat raw garlic and kefir almost daily, but those aren't supplements, just food.

Things that consistently help me:

Seeking Health 5 methyl folate/methyl B12 (I have a MTHFR variant) - energy

Source Naturals Nutrasleep - sleep

melatonin - sleep

Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Extra (not the regular, the Extra) tea - sleep

Source Naturals progesterone cream - sleep

Things that often help:

betaine HCl

digestive enzymes

Vitamin D3 and K2 because I am severely deficient(in the D3, the K2 just tells the D3 where to go).  coq10, Hawthorne, and garlic because I have heart issues. I drink cinnamon tea, cinnamon water and I put cinnamon sticks in my decaf coffee to help with the diabetes and blood pressure, which it does.

I have also found that Dopa Mecuna during the day and 5htp at night help with mood issues.

Vitamin D3 and K2 because I am severely deficient(in the D3, the K2 just tells the D3 where to go). coq10, Hawthorne, and garlic because I have heart issues. I drink cinnamon tea, cinnamon water and I put cinnamon sticks in my decaf coffee to help with the diabetes and blood pressure, which it does.

I have also found that Dopa Mecuna during the day and 5htp at night help with mood issues.

Seconding the 5htp for anxiety

I have to take iron because I'm anemic and it helps with my energy. I recently found out I was vitamin d deficient and since starting taking vitamin d my depression and anxiety I've been struggling with has subsided significantly.

I also take vitamin b and magnesium but I'm not sure if those help with anything

I take psyllium husk fiber supplements and assorted probiotics. This takes care of irritable bowel. The fiber also had the side effect of stopping my migraine aura. I even eat trigger foods. I also take calcium and D because I can't consume dairy and have bone thinning.

I take magnesium, because I was deficient in it.  FOr the potassium, I eat chocolate covered almonds and bananas.  I also take a prescription vitamin B megapill.  I also take a prescription weekly mega D pill for my defiency.  I also take Heliocare for skin care (and it seems I am less sensitive to fluoresccnt lights since I have been taking it). I also eat yogurts with probiotics and kefirs.  I will start taking turmeric this Thursday for inflammation. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I am always inflamed and my CRP is always elevated.  I hope to decrease my inflammation.