Menu

Older friend convinced of total economic collapse

PrairieSong

So..an older retired man my family has known for years is convinced we are going to have a worldwide economic collapse. According to some guru he reads, it was supposed to start on October 7. The guy predicted the exact day! It's supposed to hit Europe, then Japan, then later the U.S. Supposedly we will have five horrible years and then start to recover, but not Europe. Europe's stock market will hit zero and will never recover. (How is that possible??)

Seven years ago he was saying "next year we will have hyperinflation" and he has also invested in things "guaranteed" to make him rich but that hasn't happened.

I don't know how to answer his latest assertion about impending economic doom. This is not someone I can easily avoid and he brings this stuff up frequently. Ideas??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't know what to do with that. I was just talking to someone who is strongly in the "prepper" direction and I don't know what to say beyond, "Well, I do think it's wise to be prepared for disaster, but I don't believe in apocolyptic fears."

• Like 3

Bean dip him.

I knew someone would say that and I get it, but I'd like to give him some well thought out reasons why I don't necessarily believe his guru's predictions...rather than just change the subject.

He will bring it up again and again and again.

I knew someone would say that and I get it, but I'd like to give him some well thought out reasons why I don't necessarily believe his guru's predictions...rather than just change the subject.

Well, I did manage to make a pretty well-reasoned argument again buying gold and silver against someone who was talking doomsday. If all these things happened, your gold bars aren't going to be good for jack diddly. In an economic collapse, what will matter is the skills you possess, food, water, shelter, and the ability to protect those things. Can you make tools? Shelter? Do you have food-producing animals and/or land? That is what will matter. You can't eat gold bars and if the economy collapses, you can't use gold for value exchange.

I have also said in frustration, "Well, yes. All these things *could* happen. But I choose not to live in fear." This does make the doomsdayer shake his head and mutter about how I am one of the Sheeple, but I don't know any way to help that.

• Like 7

You can't argue with Crazy. You just can't. The more you engage, the more he'll dig in his heels. There are studies done on how presenting people with facts does nothing to dissuade them from Crazy and can actually entrench them more. He believes this as much as you believe in your religion. Would anyone be able to present you with well-thought out ideas against Christianity that would get you to change your mind? Just. Walk. Away.

• Like 12

You can't argue with Crazy. You just can't. The more you engage, the more he'll dig in his heels. There are studies done on how presenting people with facts does nothing to dissuade them from Crazy and can actually entrench them more. He believes this as much as you believe in your religion. Would anyone be able to present you with well-thought out ideas against Christianity that would get you to change your mind? Just. Walk. Away.

I know. I know I can't persuade him with words. What I'd like to do is have convincing reasons why *I* am not buying it, so he'll know it's useless to bring it up with me.

Well, I did manage to make a pretty well-reasoned argument again buying gold and silver against someone who was talking doomsday. If all these things happened, your gold bars aren't going to be good for jack diddly. In an economic collapse, what will matter is the skills you possess, food, water, shelter, and the ability to protect those things. Can you make tools? Shelter? Do you have food-producing animals and/or land? That is what will matter. You can't eat gold bars and if the economy collapses, you can't use gold for value exchange.

I have also said in frustration, "Well, yes. All these things *could* happen. But I choose not to live in fear." This does make the doomsdayer shake his head and mutter about how I am one of the Sheeple, but I don't know any way to help that.

Ah yes. I've heard the gold and silver talk, too. We will HAVE TO go back on the gold standard. Why? Because we HAVE TO is the answer I got. And the price of gold will skyrocket. No matter how much you have, you'll wish you had more.

Sigh.

• Like 1

It's not a rational fear so reason won't work. Instead I'd focus on things he can do in the short run that do not contradict his deeply held paranoia; "when the world ends, you're gonna want to be good at wheeling and dealing so please come play Settlers of Catan with the family. We enjoy your company." "If you aren't preparing for that this Friday, how about joining us to watch the game to take your mind off things?" "That may be so, but we're going to enjoy this while it lasts. Have a beer."

Kindness will never be lost on him no matter what his beliefs.

• Like 10

My mother is one of these people. She is always calling to tell me to get food and water in for the collapse. She could have used her savings to buy a house and live closer so I could care for her as she ages but she recently put everything in gold and then it tanked. It should be illegal for these "experts" to put so much fear in the hearts of vulnerable older people. It is criminal if you ask me.

• Like 12

Huh.  I thought by the thread title it was just a generalized sentiment, and i was going to say that I think it is entirely possible we will have an economic collapse.

But I would say that this guy is really more equivalent to people who go in for predictions about the End of the World and being raptured and all that jazz.

If it were me, that is how I would present it - that while its possible that something like this could happen, maybe even likely, this stuff about predicting the dates is less compelling even than astrology.  But I would not really expect him to change much.

• Like 3

Huh. I thought by the thread title it was just a generalized sentiment, and i was going to say that I think it is entirely possible we will have an economic collapse.

But I would say that this guy is really more equivalent to people who go in for predictions about the End of the World and being raptured and all that jazz.

If it were me, that is how I would present it - that while its possible that something like this could happen, maybe even likely, this stuff about predicting the dates is less compelling even than astrology. But I would not really expect him to change much.

Yes, it is reminiscent of people like..was it Harold Camping (?) who predicted the world would end on a certain date in 2011. With the man I know it is about the economy and not religion, but when I did a Google search I found that some people who follow this particular guru have religious apocalyptic ideas tied up with the economic collapse.

And yes, we could have an economic collapse but I don't think it is wise to put so much stock in one person, especially one who predicts a specific date. The economist is Larry Edelson if anyone is interested. There are lots of others like him, it seems. I wonder if they even believe what they are saying or are just cashing in on their newsletter sales.

I'm still waiting for the hyperinflation of 2009.

• Like 2

"I know this is a topic you feel so strongly about. None of these predictions have come true yet, and honestly this is a subject that may be best not to over analyze.  What movies have you seen lately/what book are you reading/how are you adjusting to the time change/how are things with Aunt Ethel/do you have any suggestions for ________?"

He won't listen to any well thought out reasons you might have.  You may as well create a Glenn Beck voodoo doll and begin viciously poking.

Fwiw, I have long been convinced of a total economic collapse, but I would laugh at any date predictions, and wouldn't venture a guess on possible recovery.  The difference is that I might discuss it with dh for about 30 seconds every couple of months, and that's it.

• Like 5

"I know this is a topic you feel so strongly about. None of these predictions have come true yet, and honestly this is a subject that may be best not to over analyze. What movies have you seen lately/what book are you reading/how are you adjusting to the time change/how are things with Aunt Ethel/do you have any suggestions for ________?"

He won't listen to any well thought out reasons you might have. You may as well create a Glenn Beck voodoo doll and begin viciously poking.

LOL!

• Like 2

There is nothing you can say that will keep him from doing so.

My idiot brother in law is the same way- thought the world was going to end this September- took time off and everything. Despite being proven wrong on "the dates" he *still* claims to be right, and that WW3 has started and we are in the end times.

You cannot reason with these people- they are mentally ill and living in a false reality- there is nothing you can do- at all.

• Like 3

My MIL is like this. And she's SO sure about it each time she predicts doom. Y2K she turned her entire basement into a stockpile of resources that she's still using to this day. There were a few others since then, but then 2012 was a biggie when she was sure the world was going to end. Then last year there was a blood moon thing. This year was something else that had her buying massive amounts of bleach so we could purify our water or something. DH and I are at the point now where we roll our eyes and ask her not to have these conversations in front of DS. 

• Like 1

So..an older retired man my family has known for years is convinced we are going to have a worldwide economic collapse. According to some guru he reads, it was supposed to start on October 7. The guy predicted the exact day! It's supposed to hit Europe, then Japan, then later the U.S. Supposedly we will have five horrible years and then start to recover, but not Europe. Europe's stock market will hit zero and will never recover. (How is that possible??)

Seven years ago he was saying "next year we will have hyperinflation" and he has also invested in things "guaranteed" to make him rich but that hasn't happened.

I don't know how to answer his latest assertion about impending economic doom. This is not someone I can easily avoid and he brings this stuff up frequently. Ideas??

I feel sorry for the old guy but it could be that he feels his secret is no fun unless someone else knows you know (paraphrased from Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler).  

Edelson's quote is: Â Ă¢â‚¬Å“On October 7, 2015, the first economic supercycle since 1929 will trigger a global financial crisis of epic proportions. It will bring Europe, Japan and the United States to their knees, sending nearly one billion human beings on a roller-coaster ride through hell for the next five years. A ride like no generation has ever seen. I am 100% confident it will hit within the next few months.Ă¢â‚¬

If you know your friend starting weird behaviors like packing on weight like a bear preparing for hibernation or investing all his money in an Edelson Underground Timeshare (which I doubt), I'd talk to to him seriously and tell him to do what he wants but to just can it around me.  What exactly is a roller coaster ride through hell?  Japan has already been though a roller-coaster ride through hell.  Europe had a holocaust.  They survived even being nuked and exterminated.  The luxuries that these three regions (US, Japan, Europe) now enjoy is obscene compared to what a resident in the C.A.R., one of the world's poorest countries experiences daily.  In other words, humans of all heights can survive.  A little knee-bending is not tantamount to entering The Inferno.  I deal with oddballs on a regular basis and need to cut off when it becomes too time consuming.

• Like 1

if you can't avoid him why not have some fun?  Ask if he's ready for the alien invasion coming July 4th ;-)  Or the lizard swarm in Nov 2019?  What about the tech collapse in 2030?  it's all coming, is he ready?  And walk away.  You will have just wrecked his world for the day LOL  

Sorry, at some point it's just more fun to egg it on than argue against.  

• Like 3

There is nothing you can say that will keep him from doing so.

My idiot brother in law is the same way- thought the world was going to end this September- took time off and everything. Despite being proven wrong on "the dates" he *still* claims to be right, and that WW3 has started and we are in the end times.

You cannot reason with these people- they are mentally ill and living in a false reality- there is nothing you can do- at all.

Yes, I remember the story about your BIL. My friend does not seem to be mentally ill but he is retired and spends hours per day reading this junk. He is very gullible.

I think the next time he brings it up I will just say, "I'm still waiting for the hyperinflation of 2009." If I want to be snarky I could ask him how that International Stem Cell investment is going. Apparently that one was supposed to make him very rich. He had plans to give large sums away to charity.

It's really sad.

• Like 1

My dad had copious amounts of canned green beans! pancake batter! And tuna fish. Such an interesting combo to eat while all of civilizations falls apart.

It sounds like your dad hit upon a really big sale! That combo would get old really fast.

The way I figure it, canning and storing left my dad less time for other activities, such as contacting the FBI and getting on court orders to have no contact with his state representative, so I was all for it. 

• Like 1

Yes, I remember the story about your BIL. My friend does not seem to be mentally ill but he is retired and spends hours per day reading this junk. He is very gullible.

I think the next time he brings it up I will just say, "I'm still waiting for the hyperinflation of 2009." If I want to be snarky I could ask him how that International Stem Cell investment is going. Apparently that one was supposed to make him very rich. He had plans to give large sums away to charity.

It's really sad.

Spending hours? The delusions? Yes, he does sound mentally ill. :(

There is comfort in this DJIA historical chart, which shows stock market growth from ~1900 to present day:

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/historical/marketindexes.html

I have to laugh that your blog is called Post Apocalyptic Homeschool!! I clicked on it and saw that you hoard books. Maybe I can tell my friend that's what I'm doing to prepare for the coming collapse of civilization.

• Like 4

Spending hours? The delusions? Yes, he does sound mentally ill. :(

Well, he reads for hours per day but some of it is about all the technological and medical breakthroughs coming down the pike. I don't know how much time is actually devoted to each of his interests.

Trust me, he is not mentally ill. He is just gullible and latches onto certain economists' ideas.

I am with Quill. I always say something to the effect that pretty much every generation for all time has had apocalyptic fears. Sometimes something really crazy like a volcanic eruption occurs causing a winter that never ends, but usually these are extraordinarily rare when one looks at the historical record. So, I say that it is not really possible to truly prepare for a doomsday scenario, but we sure do get blizzards and power outages here so yes, we keep some food, water, lamp oil, candles, and first aid supplies on hand for the disasters that are common, and then change the subject or walk away from the conversation.

I have no problem with preppers. Everyone needs to do what he or she believes is right. I just don't live my life under that cloud, and so am unwilling to entertain long conversations about such things or admonitions to buckle down for the big one.

There is a point though where I think the paranoia can definitely be beyond the bell curve of "normal" and venture into mental health issues. 

• Like 3

I have a relative who is putting quite a bit into silver and gold and a bunch of prepping. I think it's been sort of a hobby for her since her husband died.

It doesn't come up in discussion too often, but if you accidentally stumble into the wrong topic, it's like she can't resist bringing it up. This person is someone I used to share a good relationship with, but don't really enjoy being around anymore. :(

Were these people like this when they were younger?  Because I am thinking it sounds like a manifestation of senility. The paranoia, the desire to horde, the reduction of critical thinking skills, these are all pretty classic behaviours. And it can start earlier than you might think.

My grandfather got like that in his late 70s and 80s, but my mom said it started for him in his 60s. It wasn't as obvious in the beginning but she could see it.  But as he got older it got worse. My mom, who was a geriatric nurse assured. us it was common with old people to have problems judging things that were likely from things that were unlikely due to senility. They can't grasp the larger world, feel it slipping away, have trouble making decisions etc and it makes them easy prey. The world starts to look scarier and they become fear based. They are easy to manipulate emotionally and become defensive against those who challenge their experience.  She and the rest of the staff at the residences where she worked had to deal with it all the time. My grandfather took all his money out of the bank because he was convinced the bank was stealing from him.  No, he just couldn't keep track of what he had. He thought it was always changing.  He would count and recount...he wouldn't recognize his own handwriting on notes he kept. He thought 'someone' was trying to trick him. He thought the 'ruskies' had taken over the government etc. He never ranted or came across as 'crazy' but what he said made no sense. I shudder to think what it would have been like in this current media age.

That is why my mom has me on her bank accounts etc. She is worried that the same thing might happen to her and she won't know it is happening. She has started noticing little things, like her attention span is reduced. She can't focus well enough to read a novel any longer. She often finds television shows too 'complex' with too many characters and running plots. She simply can't keep track of it all any more.  She started watching Breaking Bad, simply because she heard us talking about it and has confided to me that she can't keep track of who is who or why things happen.  It is due to her age.  It's subtle but it has started. She is in very good health, unlike my grandfather so she is in her 70s and is just starting to notice the changes.  She has never smoked, hasn't ever been much of a drinker at all, has a healthy BMI and exercises every day, does Yoga and Zumba.  I think that has made a difference in her mental health as well as physical. But things are not like they were.

• Like 3

Were these people like this when they were younger? Because I am thinking it sounds like a manifestation of senility. The paranoia, the desire to horde, the reduction of critical thinking skills, these are all pretty classic behaviours. And it can start earlier than you might think.

My grandfather got like that in his late 70s and 80s, but my mom said it started for him in his 60s. It wasn't as obvious in the beginning but she could see it. But as he got older it got worse. My mom, who was a geriatric nurse assured. us it was common with old people to have problems judging things that were likely from things that were unlikely due to senility. They can't grasp the larger world, feel it slipping away, have trouble making decisions etc and it makes them easy prey. The world starts to look scarier and they become fear based. They are easy to manipulate emotionally and become defensive against those who challenge their experience. She and the rest of the staff at the residences where she worked had to deal with it all the time. My grandfather took all his money out of the bank because he was convinced the bank was stealing from him. No, he just couldn't keep track of what he had. He thought it was always changing. He would count and recount...he wouldn't recognize his own handwriting on notes he kept. He thought 'someone' was trying to trick him. He thought the 'ruskies' had taken over the government etc. He never ranted or came across as 'crazy' but what he said made no sense. I shudder to think what it would have been like in this current media age.

That is why my mom has me on her bank accounts etc. She is worried that the same thing might happen to her and she won't know it is happening. She has started noticing little things, like her attention span is reduced. She can't focus well enough to read a novel any longer. She often finds television shows too 'complex' with too many characters and running plots. She simply can't keep track of it all any more. She started watching Breaking Bad, simply because she heard us talking about it and has confided to me that she can't keep track of who is who or why things happen. It is due to her age. It's subtle but it has started. She is in very good health, unlike my grandfather so she is in her 70s and is just starting to notice the changes. She has never smoked, hasn't ever been much of a drinker at all, has a healthy BMI and exercises every day, does Yoga and Zumba. I think that has made a difference in her mental health as well as physical. But things are not like they were.

My SIL's mother is like that. Confused about money and about some other things. She is in her 90's and is now in assisted living.

The older guy I was talking about in my OP has a decades long history of reading about investments and making bad decisions. He has a knack for listening to the wrong people and for getting excited about striking it rich. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out very well for him. It's like he's always trying to make back what he lost, plus make a lot more. And now his favorite economist is making doomsday predictions.

I know a woman who believes things are about to collapse.  She is a shut-in.  Every time she hears something is about to happen, she shares it with me.  I've told her that I understand where she is coming from.  I used to feel the same way and would pay close attention to the news.  I've had to stop, though.  I know she is prepping and spends a good portion of her budget for prepping items.  I don't have the heart to tell her that I fully believe she will be attacked and all of her things will be taken if something does really happen.  Also, If the air conditioner goes off for a few hot summer days, she will likely not survive.  I've told her there is absolutely no way to know what's going to happen and that I can't consume my life with the "what if".  I've been kind to her, though.     

My SIL's mother is like that. Confused about money and about some other things. She is in her 90's and is now in assisted living.

The older guy I was talking about in my OP has a decades long history of reading about investments and making bad decisions. He has a knack for listening to the wrong people and for getting excited about striking it rich. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out very well for him. It's like he's always trying to make back what he lost, plus make a lot more. And now his favorite economist is making doomsday predictions.

It does sound like the person from your OP just doesn't have good judgement or critical thinking skills. It sounds like he is easily manipulated and falls prey to a strong leader very easily.  That must be difficult to watch.

I think your choice phrase is perfect.

Don't worry yourself too much about proving him wrong - he doesn't want to be wrong. This is the only excitement in his life and he enjoys the drama. The consequences of his choices aren't going to always be pretty, but if you think of it as a hobby or entertainment you will save yourself a lot of heartache.

• Like 1

I think your choice phrase is perfect.

Don't worry yourself too much about proving him wrong - he doesn't want to be wrong. This is the only excitement in his life and he enjoys the drama. The consequences of his choices aren't going to always be pretty, but if you think of it as a hobby or entertainment you will save yourself a lot of heartache.

It's an expensive "hobby" for him. What I would like is for him to stop throwing away his money, and to stop talking on and on about this stuff.

I feel like saying, "If these people whose stuff you read are SO SMART, why aren't your finances in better shape now?"

• Like 1

Imofwiw, you need to let it go.  He isn't going to convince you and you sure aren't going to convince him.   You don't need convincing reasons to disagree; it's your business.   Agree to disagree...

I know. I know I can't persuade him with words. What I'd like to do is have convincing reasons why *I* am not buying it, so he'll know it's useless to bring it up with me.

• Like 3

Why don't you just say that :thumbup1: ?  

It's an expensive "hobby" for him. What I would like is for him to stop throwing away his money, and to stop talking on and on about this stuff.

I feel like saying, "If these people whose stuff you read are SO SMART, why aren't your finances in better shape now?"

• Like 1

I do think as another poster suggested that age and senility play a role. My dad's health is of course awful and as part of what happened to him mentally as the cancer came back was to get very worried about economic depression, not having enough food etc. Now, I thought my mom was doing fine despite dad's issues, but when I moved in with them what I found was a bit startling. My mom had, up to the car accident, always done all of their grocery shopping and when dad urged her to being to stockpile food, what I found did not make sense. She has type two diabetes and what I found was several four lb bags of sugar, 30 lbs of flour, and buckets of pasta and rice. No canned veggies or fruits, no dehydrated veggies and fruits, no proteins of any kind. She had a very blank look on her face and never answered me when I gently asked her why this was what she chose to "put up". 

I am seeing some other worrying signs that all is not well with her. I hope that as her concussion heals, she may become clearer headed. However, I'm not holding my breath on that.

They are both 72. You can bet that I am doing a LOT proactively right now to keep my mind as sharp as possible. Both of my grandmothers were sharp as tacks up to the very end so I really hope I managed to inherit those genes. Interestingly, though both of them were tweens and teens through the depression, married very young, and raised their oldest younglings on war rations, victory gardens, and the like, they never felt the need to horde or be overly prepared. They had a healthy respect for nature - one grandmother was raised in Kansas and knew what it meant to see a tornado on the horizon - so they canned and dehydrated food, kept extra first aid supplies and fuel for the stoves or the lanterns around. They were prepared for emergencies, definitely. They still didn't worry about apocalyptic scenarios. Maybe having lived through the depression they learned that when something like 8 years of terrible times come, one can't simply "be prepared" and made different choices. I don't know. But, they had a very healthy outlook on life and disaster. So I do wonder very much about senility and mental illness being at the root of my parents fears right now.

One thing you might do is to say something like, "You sound like you are very afraid.  That must be very uncomfortable.  I'm sorry."  Things that go to feelings.  

(He probably *does* feel afraid, not because of what he believes, but just because when you get older and the world changes as fast as it does now, it is easy to lose your bearings.  This guru has offered him a REASON to be afraid, which is a lot more comfortable for him to deal with than it is to deal with the fact that he is getting old and doesn't understand the world anymore.  Ask me how I know.  I feel like that a lot.  I don't know how the world works anymore.  And I can see how it could be frightening...)

Anyway, even if I'm wrong, he probably doesn't want to talk about his feelings and he will eventually stop bringing it up so he doesn't have to talk about that feeling stuff.  :0)