Menu

Older friend convinced of total economic collapse

PrairieSong

Oh good heavens, what's the point of surviving then???

***Exactly***   

I hope the bomb lands slap right on top of me.  Who wants to live in a world like that?

I don't know how to answer his latest assertion about impending economic doom. This is not someone I can easily avoid and he brings this stuff up frequently. Ideas??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't engage in or encourage it.  My dad is like that about politics, even some politics I agree with.  I just change the subject. Anyone who has been duped before by that kind of thing and hasn't learned from it is unlikely to become particularly thoughtful about it no matter what you say. 

You may be able to let him know you're tired of the subject by saying, "You've already covered that at length." or "You said that before, remember?  I do. "  or "Didn't we just have this conversation last time?"  Then change the subject again.  This kind of person is usually particularly oblivious to the fact that everyone around them isn't as passionate or interested in their choice of conversation.  They need to be told.  Once told they may go on anyway, so you may need a an exit strategy like, "Well, time flies.  I've got to go.  See you later."

• Like 1

I can't speak to the mental state of the man in the op, but in my mom's case, it's not senility. It's untreated anxiety. She frequently has panic attacks but she's convinced she has a "bad ticker" even though the doctor says she's healthy as can be. She subscribes to a religion that pushes a very stout end-of-the-world narrative. She is bored and these things keep her busy and give her life meaning. She's also a tad paranoid which makes her a prime target for the doom and gloom wonks. She's always been like this. 😔

Before 9/11 her focus was the "Big One" as in the earthquake to end all earthquakes. Then it was terrorists and civil war and now the collapse. It must be terrifying and fatiguing to live inside her head.

***Exactly***

I hope the bomb lands slap right on top of me. Who wants to live in a world like that?

I think I will talk to dh about the possibility of building a combination wine cellar/fallout shelter/library and y'all can come stay with me during the apocalypse.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

***Exactly***   

I hope the bomb lands slap right on top of me.  Who wants to live in a world like that?

That's exactly what DH and I say also.  I'm hoping to be one of the first dead in a nuclear war/alien invasion/zombie attack.  I have no interest in sleeping in vans, spending my day fighting the undead, and eating only tuna for weeks on end. 

Than again I'm one of those sissies that either has the a/c or the heat on.  There is no day when one of the other is not needed.  Really civilization is better off without me contaminating the gene pool with my Un-survivorish genes.  Unless it skips a generation.  My dad at 66 will be one of the survivors with a backpack full of tuna and a machete.   

• Like 1