Menu

Do you make a really good macaroni and cheese from scratch?

lynn

I don't think mine is fantastic, but a friend keeps telling everyone I taught her how to make it.  I think it's the cheese itself.

Essentially, make a white sauce with milk - whole milk is better.  Then melt the cheese into the sauce.  Then bake if desired.

• Like 2

If you use cheddar it will never be quite as creamy as processed cheese no matter what technique you try. The best way to melt cheddar with minimal graininess is to make sure the sauce is not boiling hot. I let mine sit a while before adding cheese, so that it's still hot enough to melt it, but not hot enough to seize. 

• Like 3

If you want a shortcut and don't mind being a little processed, you can make it like you regularly do but just substitute a couple of ounces of the cheese with a couple of ounces of processed cheese like Velveeta or some cheese slices. It will make the whole thing creamier in that processed way without be all processed. I've done it that way before though I don't usually.

But otherwise, yeah, it's never going to be quite the same texture. I think the trick is to use plenty of good cheese with a lot of flavor. I tend to think of it as a clean out the bits left in the cheese drawer recipe and I toss in lots of stuff. Gouda is nicely creamy and adds a good texture. Fontina can be nicely creamy. Mozzerella can have a nice creamy texture. I tend to use cheddar as a sort of base though.

Also, as mentioned above, I think it's good to make the white sauce then turn the heat off and let the cheese melt with the residual heat as much as possible. Basically, it's a bit like chocolate - the lower the temp you melt it at, the better the consistency later.

• Like 4

I used to do the white sauce method, until I discovered the Modernist Cuisine at Home recipe.

Simmer 11g sodium citrate in 1 1/8 cup of water, add 4 cups finely grated cheese, blend with an immersion blender until smooth.

Basically you're making your own velveeta, but starting with good cheese. The sodium citrate is a much better emulsifier than a roux and you don't dilute the yummy cheese taste with flour.

You can also make slices to melt on cheeseburgers/grilled cheese this way. The smooth melt of American cheese with the flavor of any cheese you use.

Edit to add: http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

Interesting!

I do, but I use Velveeta cheese to make the cheese sauce. I make a roux with butter and flour, whisk in milk, then melt in cubes of Velveeta. I would like to say I use "better" cheese, but I want the smooth and yummy melt.

I cook up a box of cellentini pasta.  While doing that, I grate a couple of cups of cheese, whatever I have on hand--usually cheddar and gruyere, plus some cream cheese or goat cheese or Brie. (Total about 4 cups)  On medium low heat, brown 3 T. flour in the bottom of a pan with a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Add 2 cups whole milk slowly and whisk until thick.  Add a pat of butter. Turn off burner, and add the grated cheese, stir and let melt.  Mix with your cooked pasta....eat out of the pan or bake with a bit of panko on top for crunchiness.  

I cook the noodles in the half water/half milk (I think it's 4-5c. liquid per pound of pasta), with butter, salt/pepper, and dry mustard.  And smoked paprika if I remember.  If I need to add a bit of extra liquid, I use a little chicken broth.  When the noodles are cooked, don't drain.  Add cheese to taste. I usually use cheddar, parmesan, and a small cube of cream cheese.

I don't really mind that the texture isn't as creamy as Stouffer's, although Velveeta will get you the closest. Mine is usuly pretty creamy, though. I either make what my DH calls "dinner party Mac n cheese", which is basically using the odds and ends from a cheese plate plus a basic white sauce. These are always delicious, never repeatable, and definitely pricier than my usual Monday mac n cheese. Regular week nights get mostly cheddar, occasionally gruyere, and usually a handful of Parmesan for kick. Make sure you are shredding your own cheese; pre- grated cheese has additives to keep it from clumping, which tends to a stringer/grainier texture.

Roux plus sharp cheddar. Never have a problem getting the creamy consistency .....

Same and our Mac and cheese is really creamy and good. It's one of all seven of my kids' favorite foods.  My 22yos still requests it.  I just use basic whole milk, basic cheap Cheddar cheese, basic butter and whatever flour we have nearby.  We do pre-heat the milk as the water heats for the noodles (just kinda hot, not near scorching/boiling at all).  Then while the noodles cook, we add butter to the sauce pot, cook the flour for a little while but not letting it brown, then we slowly add the milk a cup at a time, letting it thicken before adding a little bit more.  (Oh, we use 4-6 cups of milk because we make a huge batch; if making less, add it 1/2 cup at a time or something). Once the milk is thickened, we remove it from the heat and add the shredded cheese. 

Another secret is to not add the cheese sauce to the noodles until you're ready to serve.  If they're mixed and then sit, the noodles soak up a lot of the liquid from the sauce and you lose creaminess. 

DON'T bake if you want creamy.  I've never had a good baked Mac and cheese. 

• Like 1

I don't think mine is fantastic, but a friend keeps telling everyone I taught her how to make it.  I think it's the cheese itself.

Essentially, make a white sauce with milk - whole milk is better.  Then melt the cheese into the sauce.  Then bake if desired.

This is what I've done. I've made Rachael Ray's various mac and cheese recipes with good success.