Menu

Chuck Norris homeschools!

I just thought I'd share a post I did early this year when I learned Chuck Norris homeschooled. It's here.

An excerpt:

It got me wondering just how he homeschooled. I decided it was time to plunder Chuck Norris Facts for a clue.

Language Arts:

-Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

-Chuck Norris doesn't actually write books, the words assemble themselves out of fear.

I always think it's interesting to hear about celebrities homeschooling. But kids. Come now. Chuck Norris? Did the thought not cross anyone's mind -- he's about 800 years old. He has a k-er?! That to me is as much cause for praise and astonishment as the fact that they homeschool!

That's because he *IS* Chuck Norris. Just gets better with age, baby!

That's because he *IS* Chuck Norris. Just gets better with age, baby!

Was he in movies or TV shows? Because I don't really know the man, and now I feel I have to research him. Imagine my surprise when I looked up his birthday and found he was born on the same day that I was! Okay, 27 years before I was born, so he could be the father of this old woman, but on the same day.

I always think it's interesting to hear about celebrities homeschooling. But kids. Come now. Chuck Norris? Did the thought not cross anyone's mind -- he's about 800 years old. He has a k-er?! That to me is as much cause for praise and astonishment as the fact that they homeschool!

I'm also about 800 years old and have a 1st grader! ;)

I was pre-reading a book for my dd. It's called "Do Hard Things", and is written by twin teenage boys who were/are homeschooled. Chuck Norris wrote the forward for the book. There's a lot more to the man than meets the eye.

I like him.

My ds14 loves Chuck Norris and was more than willing to read the book after seeing the forward by him.

I got the feeling from the interview that they are really "homeschooling"... the wife mentioned she was nervous, and glad they were starting with Kindergarten, and Norris joked that he was only going to be teaching up to 2nd grade material. That sounds like nervous 1st time homeschoolers, rather than "we've hired full time tutors" to me.

Is there something wrong with hiring full-time tutors and calling it homeschool? Seems like it would still be so much better than ps (ours, at least), still have family involvement and I could choose the method (Classical, of course). I often long for the Victorian days and wish I could have a governess to teach my children....and an upstairs maid, but that's another issue.

Interesting. I wonder if they will be truly homeschooling or doing it politician/celebrity style with in-home private teachers.

Well, technically, if the private teachers are "in-home" they're homeschooling. :D

I wouldn't mind having a private math teacher pop in here! It's unfortunate that they like to be paid. :D

That man is just awesome. He has such a presence. I never got into Walker-Texas Ranger, but I love his Total Gym commercials. :lol:

Depends on who you are :) Some have an issue with calling it homeschooling when you've delegated out the great majority of the educational responsibility.

Are those same "some" the ones who get 2 hours of sleep each night, have gray hair at 30 and are killing themselves to do everything? :D I agree that if it's in the home, it's home education. There is such a huge spectrum, isn't there?

Even though I'm always curious about all the different ways to skin the home education cat, with celebrity families, I hesitate to delve too much into their philosophy or practices because it seems a little invasive. (Though, heh, heh, I am nosy and will take a wee peek at the link that elegantlion provided!) I am with Obama on this point, that kids should be off limits, not just in the political sphere, either.

Home education, whether with tutors or no, especially for celebrities, seems a humane way to go about it. A hubba-hubba moviestar and his glamorous moviestar wife came to the college where work with their kid, checking out the campus, and the hullabaloo caused by that, behind the scenes, trying to protect their privacy -- oh my word! The press did not find out, so all that effort was was effective. But what a lot of effort it was! That made me thank my lucky stars that I can live and school in relative anonymity.

If the child is getting an education, I don't really give a rat's heinie whether the parent or a tutor is providing it. We hire a math tutor and we have a piano and voice teacher, because I could work myself into the grave and still not be qualified to help my children with those particular skills. And if there are parents who can do it all, more power to them!

I'm with the others who say if it's at home it counts as homeschool. They are still in charge of their child's education, and they are choosing to use their resources to make it happen in the most effective way, for their family.

:rant:It does bother me when parents point fingers at each other saying that others are not homeschooling enough, or classical enough, or relaxed enough, or rigorous enough . . . and on it goes. Isn't one distinct advantage of homeschooling the ability to tailor the education to the individual child and his/her family? If that's truly the case, why do we criticize those whose choices do not match our own?

Getting off my soapbox now . . .

Are those same "some" the ones who get 2 hours of sleep each night, have gray hair at 30 and are killing themselves to do everything? :D

If the child is getting an education, I don't really give a rat's heinie whether the parent or a tutor is providing it. We hire a math tutor and we have a piano and voice teacher, because I could work myself into the grave and still not be qualified to help my children with those particular skills. And if there are parents who can do it all, more power to them!

Maybe some are that "some". Such is their choice to make that sacrifice.

The question is whether it is home schooling or not.

It is not if the parent is not teaching it.

That does not mean there's anything wrong with hiring someone to teach piano or math in the home or distance learning a subject on the internet.

But those subjects are then not being homeschooled.

Do you say you taught your child piano? No. You say so and so piano instructor taught your child piano.

Homeschooling is about much more than the location.

It's about parents educating their children.

Look at this way, if you enroll in college and take all your classes online, do you say you gave yourself a degree? Do you say you taught yourself whatever? That you are homeschooling college? No. You say, "I'm a student at blank college and they give me blank degree when I completed my studies with them."

You were at home for all the lessons, but you still wouldn't say you were homeschooled through college.

I really don't have a problem with anyone taking advantage of the many great educational opportunities available these days. I think all the different ways we can educate our kids is great.:)

I just don't want them to call it something it is not.

Because then people, sometimes legal people, start thinking that is what all homeschooling should be like, which could hurt the rights of homeschoolers.:)

Yep, Nicole, the first thing dh and I said was, "He has a kindergartner?!?" I looked it up, and they are twins and must be in first grade now (birthdays in August of 2001), but still, he was born in 1940! He was 61 when those babies were born... He'll be 80 when they graduate from high school! Gracious!

I am completely uncomfortable calling someone other than the label that they apply to themselves. If Chuck Norris wants to employ tutors and considers himself a homeschooling father, I think that's fabulous.

If I could find a Latin tutor around here, you bet your socks I'd use him/her!

Jen

I think that there are a variety of ways to homeschool. If a parent has total control of their children's education at home, they are homeschoolers. The tutor works for them. They are in control of the curriculum being taught. If you have to personally teach the subject for it to count, then those homeschoolers using DVDs (Abeka and BJU) and homesat would not be considered homeschoolers by some people's definition.

To me, total control of the environment, whether by DVD, tutors or personal instruction equals homeschooling. In a private or public school, you give up control or any real knowledge of what is going on with your child. If they are taught in an environment outside of public or private school, they are homeschoolers, legally (in my state, at least.)

Paula

I think that there are a variety of ways to homeschool. If a parent has total control of their children's education at home, they are homeschoolers. The tutor works for them. They are in control of the curriculum being taught. If you have to personally teach the subject for it to count, then those homeschoolers using DVDs (Abeka and BJU) and homesat would not be considered homeschoolers by some people's definition.

To me, total control of the environment, whether by DVD, tutors or personal instruction equals homeschooling. In a private or public school, you give up control or any real knowledge of what is going on with your child. If they are taught in an environment outside of public or private school, they are homeschoolers, legally (in my state, at least.)

Paula

:iagree:

I am completely uncomfortable calling someone other than the label that they apply to themselves.

I adhere to the callling a spade a spade attitude.

Even if the spade is shouting that it's a flamingo, it's still a spade.:D

I really like flamingos and spades are very handy, but I call them each what they are.;)

Paula

I would say they are not homeschooling those particuliar subjects they are not teaching themselves.

When my kids went to private schools, I was very involved and very much a part of their education. Those teachers worked for me. I still wouldn't have said I was homeschooling. Likewise for a piano teacher in my home. I wouldn't say I was homeschooling piano. Just because it's done at home doesn't mean the parent has "total control". For example, if one enrolls in an online charter school, they are not in total control because the school dictates what requirements they must follow to stay enrolled, evne though they meet those requirements at home. The only "control" they have is deciding whether to meet that outside agencies requirements or not.

Again, I'm not against having these options, I just don't think it's homeschooling. I don't think what I do is neccesarily better or worse. I think we should all do what is best for our kids. In doing that, some choices might not be homeschooling, imo.

Ah well.

We'll have to agree to disagree I think.

I want Chuck Norris to come be the "enforcer" for my homeschool too! :lol:

No more having to call kids to the table more than once...it's kinda my dream...:D

I mean, really truly, I think maybe I've dreamed about having Chuck come and take care of those stubborn student-types.

Yeah, him and....maybe Rambo? Clint Eastwood ("You feelin' lucky, punk?")

I would say they are not homeschooling those particuliar subjects they are not teaching themselves.

I think part of the problem is that if you can't define them as homeschoolers, what are they? In our state, they are homeschoolers. It is a catch-all for anything other than private or public schools. In our state, if you are responsible for the child's education, you are a homeschooler. There is no other way to define it. By default, they are homeschoolers. So, I'm really looking at it in that light. I am looking at it in a legal context, I think. I totally understand what you mean with your definition, though.

Paula

I am not very good at this multi-quoting, so bear with me.

The question is whether it is home schooling or not.

It is not if the parent is not teaching it.

That does not mean there's anything wrong with hiring someone to teach piano or math in the home or distance learning a subject on the internet.

But those subjects are then not being homeschooled.

Do you say you taught your child piano? No. You say so and so piano instructor taught your child piano.

Homeschooling is about much more than the location.

It's about parents educating their children.

Let's see. Two of my dc are self-teaching math. I picked the book, I monitor their progress, but they are doing the instruction. Is this not homeschooling?

My oldest is taking 3 online classes. They are classes that cater to homeschoolers. The government is not involved. I researched these classes, I monitor the progress, I help them through the logistics. Does that mean I am not homeschooling?

Look at this way, if you enroll in college and take all your classes online, do you say you gave yourself a degree? Do you say you taught yourself whatever? That you are homeschooling college? No. You say, "I'm a student at blank college and they give me blank degree when I completed my studies with them."

You were at home for all the lessons, but you still wouldn't say you were homeschooled through college.

I think this is completely different. I don't know anyone who would equate homeschooling a high-schooler using outside sources with getting a college degree online. It has to do with level of involvement of the parent. I know this sounds nebulous, but it one of those "I know it if I see it."

I really don't have a problem with anyone taking advantage of the many great educational opportunities available these days. I think all the different ways we can educate our kids is great.:)

I just don't want them to call it something it is not.

Because then people, sometimes legal people, start thinking that is what all homeschooling should be like, which could hurt the rights of homeschoolers.:)

How does it hurt the rights of homeschoolers if my son takes Latin from Regina Coeli Online Academy? They are not issuing a diploma. The public school is not issueing a diploma. I am. Now, if someone is using a public school option, where the school district has control and total say over curriculum and calling that homeschooling, I can see how that may blur the lines and have a negative impact on the rights of homeschoolers. But, I really don't see your argument applying to the examples you cite. I am still the director of education. I may choose to delegate certain portions of my child's education to others, but the diploma comes from me - not the other resources that I use to meet my requirements.

Hmm. That's interesting. What about cyberschooling? Cyberschoolers call it public school or schooling at home. But they don't want to equate themselves as being homeschoolers.

Though there are some rules to follow ( isn't that way life is anyways? ) you have control over your child's curriculum if that is what YOU chose to do. You teach them at home , go to field trips and such.

Yet homeschoolers in our state don't consider that 'true' homeschooling because you don't buy the books. But then cyberschoolers are chosing to use the schools because its the curriculum they want to use.

I hate labels. I figure if its at home and your child is not in a building then its just plain old homeschooling. Period.

I adhere to the callling a spade a spade attitude.

Even if the spade is shouting that it's a flamingo, it's still a spade.:D

I really like flamingos and spades are very handy, but I call them each what they are.;)

And I tend to respect people by allowing them to be. It really isn't going to harm me in any way if a flamingo prefers to be called a spade. How the heck would I knwo what language a flamingo uses? Perhaps "spade" is flamingo-ese for "flamingo."

I think any parent who even considers the homeschooling option instead of blindly enrolling their 5 year old, "because that's what we do" is miles ahead of society in their thinking today.

It also sounds like jealousy to me when some people complain that a family is hiring a tutor to teach a home. It is expensive to do and beyond the scope of some people.

Jen

I think part of the problem is that if you can't define them as homeschoolers, what are they? In our state, they are homeschoolers. It is a catch-all for anything other than private or public schools.

ahh but in other states, being enrolled in a program means you are student of that program. At best it might mean you are classified as having a private school in your home.

Let's see. Two of my dc are self-teaching math. I picked the book, I monitor their progress, but they are doing the instruction. Is this not homeschooling?

I had a college instructor with the same teaching method. She gave the book, the assignment, if you have a question ask it, otherwise she'd see you come test day and the test was how she evaluated your progress. But I was still her student.

My oldest is taking 3 online classes. They are classes that cater to homeschoolers. The government is not involved. I researched these classes, I monitor the progress, I help them through the logistics. Does that mean I am not homeschooling?

maybe. maybe not. do they consdier your child enrolled in their school? if so, I'd say you are probably not homeschooling that subject. Note, that I didn't say you aren't homeschooling at all.

when my kids were in private school, I could create their course schedule, I was able to preview the materials/class, and I was given daily evaluations and recommendations to further their progress. But I was not a homeschooling those courses.

I don't know anyone who would equate homeschooling a high-schooler using outside sources with getting a college degree online. It has to do with level of involvement of the parent. I know this sounds nebulous, but it one of those "I know it if I see it."

Because many hs-ers do the same thing. the student is taking all or most of their courses online via a charter or distance learning or whatever program. how is the parent anymore "involved" then? Many aren't.

And it does sound nebulous. Mine sounds a bit nebulous too I suppose in all honesty, but it is how "I know it when I see it.":)

How does it hurt the rights of homeschoolers if my son takes Latin from Regina Coeli Online Academy?

It might not. Depends how it's done. But it can be a foot in the door for legal openings requireing that people enroll in such programs in order to be considered legit.

Now, if someone is using a public school option, where the school district has control and total say over curriculum and calling that homeschooling, I can see how that may blur the lines and have a negative impact on the rights of homeschoolers.

Actually that IS what is happening in many states. The states are creating charter programs and online schooling programs specificly for homeschoolers to enroll in. Although the students are legally public or private school students when they enroll, it's billed and pushed as a homeschool program. The state is doing it specificly to get a foot in the door of homeschooling. Eventually, they'll want to say that their way is the only legal way to homeschool.

I am still the director of education. I may choose to delegate certain portions of my child's education to others, but the diploma comes from me - not the other resources that I use to meet my requirements.

See I just don't see it that way. When my kids were in private or public school, I still thought of myself as the primary educator and the director of their education. (Which might explain why I was none too popular with their teachers. :lol:) But I wouldn't have thought that just because I paid for it, made sure they made progress, and or did some homework with them that that made me a homeschooler. Although it might explain why the transition wasn't too hard to make.;)

Really, I have no gripe with folks who part-take of the many educational options they have available, either for all the schooling or just various subjects. I just don't think that all those options are homeschooling. I'd still be thrilled to share a cup of coffee with them and call them friend, but we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one.:)

ahh but in other states, being enrolled in a program means you are student of that program. At best it might mean you are classified as having a private school in your home.

I had a college instructor with the same teaching method. She gave the book, the assignment, if you have a question ask it, otherwise she'd see you come test day and the test was how she evaluated your progress. But I was still her student.

maybe. maybe not. do they consdier your child enrolled in their school? if so, I'd say you are probably not homeschooling that subject. Note, that I didn't say you aren't homeschooling at all.

when my kids were in private school, I could create their course schedule, I was able to preview the materials/class, and I was given daily evaluations and recommendations to further their progress. But I was not a homeschooling those courses.

I don't know anyone who would equate homeschooling a high-schooler using outside sources with getting a college degree online. It has to do with level of involvement of the parent. I know this sounds nebulous, but it one of those "I know it if I see it."

Because many hs-ers do the same thing. the student is taking all or most of their courses online via a charter or distance learning or whatever program. how is the parent anymore "involved" then? Many aren't.

And it does sound nebulous. Mine sounds a bit nebulous too I suppose in all honesty, but it is how "I know it when I see it.":)

It might not. Depends how it's done. But it can be a foot in the door for legal openings requireing that people enroll in such programs in order to be considered legit.

Actually that IS what is happening in many states. The states are creating charter programs and online schooling programs specificly for homeschoolers to enroll in. Although the students are legally public or private school students when they enroll, it's billed and pushed as a homeschool program. The state is doing it specificly to get a foot in the door of homeschooling. Eventually, they'll want to say that their way is the only legal way to homeschool.

See I just don't see it that way. When my kids were in private or public school, I still thought of myself as the primary educator and the director of their education. (Which might explain why I was none too popular with their teachers. :lol:) But I wouldn't have thought that just because I paid for it, made sure they made progress, and or did some homework with them that that made me a homeschooler. Although it might explain why the transition wasn't too hard to make.;)

Really, I have no gripe with folks who part-take of the many educational options they have available, either for all the schooling or just various subjects. I just don't think that all those options are homeschooling. I'd still be thrilled to share a cup of coffee with them and call them friend, but we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one.:)

I am totally confused. So for, the past eleven yrs. I have been advocating for home schooling and fighting with my family, all for nothing. Because by your definition I am not a homeschooler.

What am I , because if I have a new definition, I would love to throw that out instead of jumping on soapboxes. I use an online school, but I pay for all courses and materials. I have no charter affiliation. Does that mean my children go to private school. The older does have to answer to teachers, but I teach the younger with online and offline materials? I thought I was a home schooler.

Please clarify?

And I tend to respect people by allowing them to be. It really isn't going to harm me in any way if a flamingo prefers to be called a spade. How the heck would I knwo what language a flamingo uses? Perhaps "spade" is flamingo-ese for "flamingo."

first off: :lol:

second off: How is saying I disagree with their terminology not allowing them to be? I'm not making them change it, although that woudl be nice. Just saying I disagree.

It also sounds like jealousy to me when some people complain that a family is hiring a tutor to teach a home. It is expensive to do and beyond the scope of some people.

Now wait a minute there. Did I "complain"? No I did not. In fact, I'm all for them hiring a tutor if they can and they feel it's what is best for their kid. I'm just saying that I wouldn't consider it to be homeschooling. That is not the same as complaining or even being critical of their choice.

I've hired in home piano teachers and such when we could afford it and felt it beneficial to do so. I'd love to have the funds for a spanish course, preferably online/DVD. But I wouldn't say I'm homeschooling those things under those circumstances. I say, "so-and-so is teaching blank to my kids" or "my kid is enrolled in such-and-such program at blank".

Isn't one distinct advantage of homeschooling the ability to tailor the education to the individual child and his/her family? If that's truly the case, why do we criticize those whose choices do not match our own?

Well, obviously, because it must be tailored enough. :D