Menu

Grieving when there is no funeral?

kimberlapoderosa

My grandmother died this morning and as per her wishes there will be no funeral.  She donated her body to a medical school so there isn't even a burial.  

She was 95 and all of her friends and almost all of her siblings have all ready passed away.  I have no immediate family near me and so I have no one to cry with.  Any suggestions on how to handle my sadness?  

My grandmother died this morning and as per her wishes there will be no funeral. She donated her body to a medical school so there isn't even a burial.

She was 95 and all of her friends and almost all of her siblings have all ready passed away. I have no immediate family near me and so I have no one to cry with. Any suggestions on how to handle my sadness?

I'm so sorry.

You can create your own "memorial service" and it can be anything you want, anything you think would be helpful.

Ideas: Invite your nearby friends and make a meal for them and your family that reminds you of your Grandma.

Buy a set of those paper lanterns and attach a memory to each one. Play a song that reminds you of her and let them go.

Take a day to yourself with a new journal and write down everything you love and remember about her.

:grouphug:

• Like 14

I just went through this with my dad. He died a week ago yesterday. No funeral, no memorial. No friends really.

I grieved with my brother....in person for an afternoon....now through texts conversations.

I played old songs that reminded me of him....I cried in the car driving alone a lot. I had a couple of evenings where I cried to dh. I feel better after only a week. I think my brother and I will do something with the ashes together.

I am sorry for your loss. :(

• Like 3

Many years ago, one of my coworkers died unexpectedly in a car accident, leaving behind a 4yr. old and a 10 month old. I was out of town and did not even learn of the accident until after the funeral.

Even though I wasn't best friends with her or anything, her death affected me in a profound way--and missing the funeral made it very difficult for me to find closure.

I finally wrote her a letter and left it on her grave.

Would it be possible for you to write her a letter and then leave it in a safe place? The journal idea also sounds like a really good one to me.

• Like 2

My grandma died recently and was cremated and had no funeral or memorial service. In our family that's pretty typical. We don't really go in for funerals or weddings or christenings or big celebrations of anything. So for me, it wasn't hard to grieve because I knew she wouldn't have wanted to spend money on a funeral or grave. I can imagine if you are used to funerals you might struggle with having a sense of closure. Making up your own private ceremony might help? Perhaps with the help of clergy or a counselor?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm not sure I have advice.  We have some family members who have requested no service, but I told them too bad, they're getting one, because it's not for them, it's for the ones they left behind.  If they have requests for the service that WILL be happening, I'm happy to listen.

So, having said that, I'd do something anyway.  Something with a ceremony, even if non traditional. Maybe set paper boats with lit birthday candles out on a lake as you tell stories about her to your children.  Maybe write a letter telling all of your favorite memories of her on the paper before you fold up the paper boat.

Maybe just get one of those garden memorial stepping stones with a poem about heaven, and sit outside and tell stories about her before you choose a place to put it.  Or maybe plant something in her honor - a rose bush, a peony plant, or a tree.

Maybe do something as a family that you used to do with your grandmother.

Maybe just buy or make up traditional funeral foods, and have a dinner where you sit around and talk about her.  I'm from North Florida, so to me that means fried everything and trays and trays full of deviled eggs.  In your case it might be recipes she handed down to you instead.

Think about it for a few days.  I bet you'll come up with an original and memorable way to honor her and soothe you.

• Like 1

In Orthodoxy, we have prayers for 40 days after someone dies. And that doesn't include the services.

My good friend is not Orthodox, but when her mother died, I gave her 40 candles and told her to set aside time each day to light the candle and remember her mother in some way. She did some beautiful things and said it really helped. She gave the same gift to a friend of hers whose mother died, so I know it helped.

I'm sorry for your loss.

In Orthodoxy, we have prayers for 40 days after someone dies. And that doesn't include the services.

My good friend is not Orthodox, but when her mother died, I gave her 40 candles and told her to set aside time each day to light the candle and remember her mother in some way. She did some beautiful things and said it really helped. She gave the same gift to a friend of hers whose mother died, so I know it helped.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Rituals like this do really help with the grieving process because you set time aside to let yourself feel the sadness and pain instead of pushing it deeper down.

I read through the Psalms after a dear aunt passed away and it helped me grieve. I cried a lot but it was cathartic.

• Like 2

Thanks you all for the nice suggestions.  My Mimi was a huge animal lover (in particular dogs). She was also the person who made me into a huge reader because she gave me my first chapter books and then through the years continued to buy me books every time she would visit.  We were very close and we spoke on the phone almost very day until the dementia took her from us.  I think I will give some books to the library in her name.  I am also going to make her favorite pie and share some time with my boys where I can tell them all about her.    My heart is heavy.

• Like 12

Stupid question, but are you sure that they will keep her remains? I have had an aunt and a family friend that donated their bodies to local teaching hospitals upon their death. Both families were given the option of recieving the cremated remains.

In some pagan religious traditions there are times set aside for this, such as Samhain/All Hallows Eve or the Day of the Dead. Maybe just go to a place that reminds you of her and write that letter/have a chat/pray/create art in her memory as suits you. Take the time.

• Like 1

Stupid question, but are you sure that they will keep her remains? I have had an aunt and a family friend that donated their bodies to local teaching hospitals upon their death. Both families were given the option of recieving the cremated remains.

After a certain period of time we will be given her cremated remains.  I'm not sure how long that will be or if they will go to my Dad or my Uncle.   

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I wish I had good advice. Any advice. My mother passed away 10 days after being diagnosed with lung cancer. She was 62. I lived in another state and flew up to where she was and she died the next day. I did not know that she had asked to be cremated and for there to be no service of any kind. Probably she was thinking that she didn't want to trouble people, but she was wrong, so wrong (I jumped all over one of her cousins a few years later who said the same thing). Those who are left behind need to get together and mourn with each other, and tell funny stories about their loved one, and all that stuff.  I believe that's what wakes are for. I walked around the neighborhood with one of her friends, and we shared stories and cried together. And then I flew home and just dealt with the grief.

• Like 2

There is no reason that you guys can't do your own memorial service. There was a lady from our church who was like a grandma to my kids. She was active in SO many things. She requested cremation and no funeral. Well people weren't going to give her a funeral, but we had a dang good memorial. She had impacted so many people, that it didn't feel right not to remember that. It was a simple gathering at our church one evening, where we all shared stories of our favorite memories. The family had tears from sadness and happiness through the night. We had no problems getting people to bring food, and we all shared an awesome meal afterwards.

My grandmother died this morning and as per her wishes there will be no funeral.  She donated her body to a medical school so there isn't even a burial.  

She was 95 and all of her friends and almost all of her siblings have all ready passed away.  I have no immediate family near me and so I have no one to cry with.  Any suggestions on how to handle my sadness?  

I'm sorry.

I think closure is very important, and I've been to more funerals than most people.

Could you hold a memorial event for her?  They did that for one of my siblings, whose body was not located (but his stuff was).