Menu

Full or twin Bed for 11 year old soon to be 12

Blessedwith1

Hello, I am mostly a lurker, and really enjoy being a part of this board.

My 11 year old, soon to be 12 (in a month), has requested that we replace her full bed with a twin. We just moved into a house with a smaller bedroom than what she is used to. (She does have a second room that she uses for crafts and music and whatever else she wants). My husband thinks it is a bad idea, and I hesitant to do this, as she has ever only slept in a full. I worry that once the novelty wears off she will want her old bed back. Her reason behind this is for more floor space. Would you honour her request, or is it a bad idea? Has anybody's kids moved from a full bed to a twin? I know it is usually the other way around.

Thank you in advance.

Twin size if she now has a smaller room. If she ever has a friend stay over, she will need the floorspace for friend's sleeping bag. If she ever lives in a college dorm room, she will have a twin sized bed. Dismantle the full size and store until it is needed again. Adjustment period should be brief, if one even occurs.

• Like 5

Thank you so much for the responses. I knew this was the right place to ask! I showed her some of the loft beds, but she is concerned about tumbling out. She is excited about the extra floor space and all the bookshelves she can fit in there, along with a window seat, and a bean bag chair. Hmm, it doesn't sound like there will be any floor space after all.

Thanks for the heads up about the x-long twin. She is tall, so that is probably a necessity. Is it difficult to find sheets that fit? We have a California king and can't always find good sheets at a reasonable price.

Get her an x-long twin. 

If I ever end up alone, that is what I will have.  

My son has one in his room.  The x-long is more helpful than the width of a double or a queen, and his room would be useless without the floor space he has.  Where else would he put his clothes?

Thank you so much for the responses. I knew this was the right place to ask! I showed her some of the loft beds, but she is concerned about tumbling out. She is excited about the extra floor space and all the bookshelves she can fit in there, along with a window seat, and a bean bag chair. Hmm, it doesn't sound like there will be any floor space after all.

Thanks for the heads up about the x-long twin. She is tall, so that is probably a necessity. Is it difficult to find sheets that fit? We have a California king and can't always find good sheets at a reasonable price.

no it's not hard at all  ..esp. right now when college kids are getting ready to go back to college.  Most colleges only use x-long beds.  Target will most definitely have them right now.   But you can also find them online at places like Amazon and Overstock.

Yes, it is hard to find the "Twin XL" sheets.  Sheets are very expensive to begin with.  The XL are snapped up quickly because of college dorm beds.  Target and Kohls have carried limited quantities of the XL.  I have to buy this size because my father's bed from Medicare came only in Twin XL.  Pain-in-the-everywhere!  The XL sheets at Target often are made from that annoying "microfiber" stuff that feels creepy to the skin. Sometimes, though, the sheets are in the equally uncomfortable "t-shirt knit", which are unbearably hot on the body during the summer months here in north Texas.

I had a full bed and then a queen bed while living at home.  When I went to college, I had a twin XL bed.  I honestly didn't notice much of an adjustment.  As others have said, look for a Twin XL.  It's easy to find sheets right now because of all the back to school stuff. :) 

I'd also consider a loft bed (see Ikea) as somebody else mentioned.  Would really free up space, and has a "cool" factor.

I've thought about doing that myself.  I slept in a twin bed from age 13 to 23 (before that I shared a full with my sister).  I now sometimes sleep in my kids' twin size bed with them.  I don't see a down side.

I would honor her wish if it is affordable for you.

In high school I moved from a queen to a twin and I didn't regret it.  There are options -- you can get her a trundle that could pull out for guests (and her if she wanted a bigger bed).  You could get her underdrawers so she has even more space-- or even get under drawers for the full bed and get rid of the dresser.

my girls shared a full.  they moved to twins.

do you use this room as a guest room?  otherwise I'd give her the floor space.

you could also consider a trundle bed, so you have the size of a twin, but the option of pulling another bed out for guests.