Menu

What elementary math curriculum/curricula will you be using in 2015-2016? Multiple choice poll

IfIOnly

What elementary math curriculum/curricula will you be using in 2015-2016? Multiple choice poll  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What elementary math curriculum/curricula will you be using in 2015-2016? Multiple choice poll

• A+ Interactive Math
    • Arithmetic series-A Beka
    • Calvert Math
    • Chalk Dust
    • Christian Light Education (CLE) Mathematics
    • CTC Math
    • Developmental Mathematics
    • enVisionMATH
    • Excel Math
    • Horizons Math
    • JUMP at Home Math
    • Learn Math Fast System
    • Liberty Mathematics
    • Life of Fred
    • Making Math Meaningful
    • MasterMath
    • BJU Press
    • Math in Focus: The Singapore Approach
    • Math Mammoth
    • **You have to vote on both questions to answer the poll, so pick this option if your curriculum/curricula is in the continued section**
  2. 2. Continued: What elementary math curriculum/curricula will you be using in 2015-2016? Multiple choice poll

• Math Works!
    • Mathematical Reasoning
    • Math-U-See
    • Miquon
    • Modern Curriculum Press (MCP) Mathematics
    • Moving with Math
    • Primary Mathematics (Please vote for "Singapore Math" if using Singapore, as they're the same curriculum-Sorry!)
    • Progress in Mathematics (Sadlier)
    • Right Start Math
    • Rod and Staff's Mathematics for Christian Living series
    • Saxon Math
    • Shiller Math
    • Singapore Math
    • Teaching Tape Technology
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • Math on the Level
    • **You have to vote on both questions to answer the poll, so pick this option if your curriculum/curricula is in the first section**
    • Beast Academy
    • Mathematics Enhancement Programme (MEP)
    • Ray's Arithmetic Series

Considering that BA only has limited grade levels, it is surprising that it has the most votes. It shows how polls are not really valid ways of assessing reality, bc on a k8 forum, a program with only 3rd and 4th grades available should not have the highest number of votes. It makes me more curious about poll responder profiles than about math programs! :)

• Like 7

:iagree:   I think a lot of people are intrigued by it and maybe are using to supplement or for fun, even if it is out of grade level.

I have three kids using three different programs (CLE, Beast, Miquon).   The Miquon kid may switch to RightStart. Or we may do some of both.  I didn't vote RS though in the poll since I am not sure at this point.

• Like 1

At the moment I am using Math for a Living Education with my 4 year old along with a number of other things - we use multiple curricula for Math and always have with my eldest.

We'll also be using Splash Math online. 

We are also using McRuffy with one child and Strayer-Upton for extra practice.

With that many options , you'd think that would cover them all! Goes to show just how blessed we are with curricula. 

I am and will be using Math Lessons for  a Living Education with my now 5th grader. We are sad that it only goes to the 5th grade and are hoping Angela Odell decides to write a Year 6. 

Thanks for sharing these! I checked out Splash Math and Math Lessons for a Living Educations, and they look great!

• Like 1

We are using A Beka math because my kids need spiral and like color in their worksheets, and I need an organized teachers manual. I also like the order in which facts are presented and emphasis on memorizing facts and the more traditional algorithms. However, I supplement with lots of manipulatives and secondary resources to make sure they have conceptual understanding. This year, we are adding the Right Start math games for my first grader. We will use Singapore's Challenging Word Problems for my oldest and continue with LOF. We will transition to Beast Academy.

• Like 1

Derail not meant for the poll:

I have more than that if it helps you feel better. ;) DD/10th will use both MCP and AoPS, and DS/11th will either work with a tutor (using Larson book) or use Teaching Textbooks.

I firmly believe putting them each in the book that serves the individual best streamlines our day far more efficiently than one-size fits all. :)

Same here :) 

dd2-k is using MiF1 I started this one with MiFK because I really prefer it for K, it is solid and deep but not so heavy handed like Horizons K. I'm considering having her do Horizons K alongside MiF1, conceptually MiF is harder by a long shot but procedurally Horizons is good for practice and review, so I like the idea of mixing them and since she's ahead I've got the time to do it.

dd1-3rd is using Horizons 3 (she started out using MiF after a few bad choices but then ended up settled on Horizons and it is nearly perfect for you). As it is I plan to keep her here, she likes it and is learning well with it.

ds5t/6th is using Math Mammoth 6 and Beast Academy 4D-5 and small bits of CLE for practice. We needed something to go with BA for more practice and publication schedule so we are trying MM this year. We did some CLE last year but I think it was too easy so we're using it now for review. We'll see how it goes, it seems the new edition of MM is working better than the previous but I can see us also moving onto JA perhaps, I go back and forth :) but I wanted to make sure his basics were really solid.

• Like 1

Same here :)

dd2-k is using MiF1 I started this one with MiFK because I really prefer it for K, it is solid and deep but not so heavy handed like Horizons K. I'm considering having her do Horizons K alongside MiF1, conceptually MiF is harder by a long shot but procedurally Horizons is good for practice and review, so I like the idea of mixing them and since she's ahead I've got the time to do it.

dd1-3rd is using Horizons 3 (she started out using MiF after a few bad choices but then ended up settled on Horizons and it is nearly perfect for you). As it is I plan to keep her here, she likes it and is learning well with it.

ds5t/6th is using Math Mammoth 6 and Beast Academy 4D-5 and small bits of CLE for practice. We needed something to go with BA for more practice and publication schedule so we are trying MM this year. We did some CLE last year but I think it was too easy so we're using it now for review. We'll see how it goes, it seems the new edition of MM is working better than the previous but I can see us also moving onto JA perhaps, I go back and forth :) but I wanted to make sure his basics were really solid.

Does MiF stand for Math in Focus?

I'm not 100% sure. :)

I think that we'll be using Math Mammoth for my 3rd, 5th, and 6th grader.  The 3rd and 5th grader will do Beast Academy too.

For my Kindergartner, I'm either going to use our old copy of Right Start Level A....or do something else.  Maybe Singapore Early Bird? Not sure yet. :)

• Like 1

I am not surprised I am the only one using Shiller. It is a great program but not widely used. :( No need to supplement. 

:seeya: I'm using it, too, just started!  I forgot to mark it, oops!  But we are using it along with Miquon for my kindergartener/1st grader.  

• Like 2

My oldest will be using a combination of Life of Fred, Beast Academy 5 as it comes out (I think), and Jousting Armadillos for her pre-algebra year.

My 4th and 2nd graders are using Singapore Primary Mathematics.

My kindergarten student will be using Singapore Essentials along with the activities in the HOD Little Hearts for His Glory guide and some of the lessons in RightStart A.

• Like 1

Ray's supplemented with any old thing. Math is not a priority this year.

I'm just not getting the payback I expected with too much time spent on math and spelling.

I am both delaying math and cutting the volume of practice. I'm finding that I need to switch to mastery based instead of spiral when I slash this severely.

So, Ray's is as good as anything else for the spine. It'll get the job done. I like the rules for copywork and math journal pages.

• Like 1

Considering that BA only has limited grade levels, it is surprising that it has the most votes. It shows how polls are not really valid ways of assessing reality, bc on a k8 forum, a program with only 3rd and 4th grades available should not have the highest number of votes. It makes me more curious about poll responder profiles than about math programs! :)

I voted BA because AoPS is not an option and they're by the same publisher. My DS is finishing up some MM worktexts and then will start AoPS Pre-Algebra after that.

• Like 1

Most of my kids are using ABeka, but ds#2 will be using McRuffy & dd#1 is beyond the scope of this poll as she'll be using Jurgenson (Geometry).

I have BA & Miquon (and some CLE, Horizons, MM, & SM) when things don't click (usually) or I want to supplement (rarely). One of my kids needs lots of reinforcement and it usually takes multiple ways of explaining before she gets the idea of something new. 

• Like 1

DS3 will be using Rod and Staff's preschool series for busy work, but will be working in Miquon with us as he wants, too.

DS6 will continue with Miquon as his primary, CLE's flashcard system for facts, and glancing through "What Your ---- Grader Needs to Know" to fill in any gaps that Miquon doesn't cover.

• Like 1

Math Mammoth - was thrilled to find it.

I'd ordered Singapore and when I got it realized that even though it looks like a fantastic program, it does not fit my teaching style at all. Sold it at a loss and still came out ahead with MM, so that's a plus!

I'm actually quite excited to teach Math Mammoth - it makes a lot of sense to me and since I created my daughter's 1st grade math program myself, I have a pretty good feeling about her style... I think it will fit her well too.

• Like 1