Menu

I hit a homeschool jackpot

Colorado has some of the most amazing opportunities for homeschoolers that I've ever seen. I have quite a few close homeschool friends in Colorado and the stuff they talk about their kids getting to do makes me so green with jealousy that it's not even funny.

Congrats to you and your family!

• Like 4

It is wonderful, and a real blessing for many families. We have similar charters here in California, and it has been a great program for us. Just be prepared for the fingerwaggers who insist that you are no longer a *real* homeschooler. Eyeroll.

• Like 2

Is this something that the State Department of Education funds?

Yes, that was the big question after she started loading my sheet with my curriculum order.  "Who pays for this?!?!"  The state of Colorado.  I know there are a lot of people who suggest you not let the public school get involved in any way financially with homeschoolers because they will eventually regulated homeschoolers more.  In my way of thinking, it's not money that goes to homeschoolers that will cost us more regulation, it's the non-schoolers that seem to get themselves in the media limelight.  There are those that go to these charter schools that count this one day enrichment as their whole school week.  Then they wonder why, when they go to enroll their kids in the public school, that they are considered a year behind.   :banghead: .  

• Like 7

Yes, that was the big question after she started loading my sheet with my curriculum order.  "Who pays for this?!?!"  The state of Colorado.  I know there are a lot of people who suggest you not let the public school get involved in any way financially with homeschoolers because they will eventually regulated homeschoolers more.  In my way of thinking, it's not money that goes to homeschoolers that will cost us more regulation, it's the non-schoolers that seem to get themselves in the media limelight.  There are those that go to these charter schools that count this one day enrichment as their whole school week.  Then they wonder why, when they go to enroll their kids in the public school, that they are considered a year behind.   :banghead: .  

Despite the naysayers, I think that you will find this becoming more and more common. The future of a la carte schooling is here:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/419438/nevada-enacts-universal-school-choice

I am glad that you are able to find something that works so well for your family. I hope others soon have similar choices in their states.

• Like 5

Here's the link to the charter school enrichment program homeschoolers here (the greater PHX area) have access to:

http://www.mpsaz.org/EAGLERIDGE

One thing to consider is that they do standardized testing.  Of course, anyone can opt out of standardized testing, but understand opting out will reflect negatively on the school's academic statistics.  No one is quite sure how that might affect their charter in the future.  The principal sent home a very reasonable letter to the parents pointing out that they did accept the taxpayer funded education the school provides and standardized testing is a way to account to the taxpayers for how well the school is using their funds to educate students.  He strongly encouraged them to take the standardized test. I think he's right. If you don't want to account to the taxpayers, don't take their money.

Outsourcing in all its forms is a great option for homeschoolers; they should just understand exactly what they're doing and why when they sign up. 

I think eventually these increased choices will benefits all forms of current and future schooling options.  Choices are good for everyone.

• Like 4

One thing to consider is that they do standardized testing.  Of course, anyone can opt out of standardized testing, but understand opting out will reflect negatively on the school's academic statistics.  No one is quite sure how that might affect their charter in the future.  The principal sent home a very reasonable letter to the parents pointing out that they did accept the taxpayer funded education the school provides and standardized testing is a way to account to the taxpayers for how well the school is using their funds to educate students.  He strongly encouraged them to take the standardized test. I think he's right. If you don't want to account to the taxpayers, don't take their money.

Outsourcing in all its forms is a great option for homeschoolers; they should just understand exactly what they're doing and why when they sign up. 

I think eventually these increased choices will benefits all forms of current and future schooling options.  Choices are good for everyone.

This charter homeschool also does standardized testing.  It is law anyway that we have to do testing on the odd school years in Colorado.  The test scores are mailed to the parent and the parent is responsible to send them to the proper place for safe-keeping.  I am used to doing this in Minnesota every year anyway AND paying for it.  Now, I don't have to pay for that either!

Despite the naysayers, I think that you will find this becoming more and more common. The future of a la carte schooling is here:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/419438/nevada-enacts-universal-school-choice

I am glad that you are able to find something that works so well for your family. I hope others soon have similar choices in their states.

That is an amazing idea!!!

I wish, wish, wish that something like that would show up in Texas, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

Wow!

Although I doubt NC will ever do anything like that.  It's awesome for those who can take advantage of it, though.

I have to say, I am always amazed at some of the HS opportunities in the US - it is really inspiring (especially when you have just left a country that is fantastic but homeschool is illegal, and moved to a country where it is a grey area and NO-ONE seems to homeschool past age 7 or 8).

Best wishes for an awesome, awesome school year!

We considered moving to Colorado for just that reason.  But I can't hack any more cold winters so I'm aiming for a more Southerly move.

They have snow here, but it melts within a couple of days or so I'm told.  I guess people's definition of cold winter is relative.  For us, cold winter means not being able to let the kids go outside because they will literally freeze their face within 20 minutes of exposure, never seeing snow melt from November to March, and pausing at stop signs if there is no one else there because you really don't know if you're going to be able to stop or get going again because of ice.  My kids never got the play in snow experience of making snow men or throwing snow balls because it was too cold to pack snow most of the time.  They made forts out of snow blocks they cut from the frozen mass.  We left that kind of cold winter.  YAY!  Snow can visit every once in a while, but it just won't stick around.  And, a snow covered Pike's Peak is always a nice sight.  

• Like 2

"As of next year, parents in Nevada can have 90 percent (100 percent for children with special needs and children from low-income families) of the funds that would have been spent on their child in their public school deposited into a restricted-use spending account. That amounts to between $5,100 and $5,700 annually, according to the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice. Those funds are deposited quarterly onto a debit card, which parents can use to pay for a variety of education-related services and products — things such as private-school tuition, online learning, special-education services and therapies, books, tutors, and dual-enrollment college courses."

Wow. Just wow.

I know there are plenty of people who are afraid of government involvement in homeschooling, but I would be all in, in a heartbeat. There are all kinds of opportunities we could have taken advantage of if this had been available. My youngest will be a senior next year and I'm paying dual-enrollment fees out of my pocket and this would cover it all!

• Like 5

It looks like that won't be me since I am a current homeschooler. :( I have been researching this bill and the only way I can get funds is to sign my kids up for ps for 100 days. The original bill included ALL school age children. Now I'm waiting to see what happens.

The amazing thing is that the money rolls over. I couldn't dream of spending $5k per child so when high school rolls around they'll have a nice chunk of savings for private school or the honeschool high school I dreamed of affording with oldest.

It will be an awesome opportunity for some new homeschool umbrella private/charter schools here like the OP as participating private schools recieve funds as well. There are not enough private or charter schools here to be able to accept everyone.

I wonder if it could roll over into college?  

Once upon a time, we considered a move out that way, and I was totally intrigued by that charter school once a week deal. Congrats on making the move!

We do have some a la carte options here, in that we can take one, two, or more classes at the public school if we choose. But I don't really see it being very feasible, partly because it'd be daily, and partly because it's public school materials (which could vary, I know; they could be good, and they might not be what I want). I do feel that it's a good option to encourage, though. I am very pro school choice and a la carte schooling.