Menu

Five year risk of dying

Laura Corin

That is a neat little test. Thx for posting.

For another fun and fast one, the sit & get up test is nice. http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/05-sit-down

it doesn't give you an age & probability but it is a very simple indicator of overall health

I can sit down on the floor without any problem, but I cannot stand up without using a hand to push off the floor.  

• Like 1

Has anyone been able to get a 10 on this? I can get a 9, but not a 10, and I'm not convinced I could've gotten a 10 at my peak either (but then and again, I've never had a reason before to not use the side of my leg or a hand on my knee or w/e to get up from sitting).

I just tried it again, & yeah I can. I wouldn't say it was easy or graceful but yeah, I can.

36 & 0.4%  Not bad since I'm 41.

For another fun and fast one, the sit & get up test is nice. http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/05-sit-down

it doesn't give you an age & probability but it is a very simple indicator of overall health

I cannot do this at all since my knee surgery last Fall.  I don't know that I'll ever be able to do it again to be honest.  I could do it last summer.   

I was actually shocked that I got such good answers.  According to this, I am only two years "older" than my actual age.  Physically in real life I actually feel more like twenty years older. . .   And my risk of dying was quite low too - not too shabby for having significant illness for over 20 years.  But . . .   I put that I don't receive any of the disability benefits, which I don't, but I think I would be eligible for something if I wasn't a SAHM.  

• Like 1

And here I get the worst possible score.  I cannot get up without getting on all fours and usually having a child help me to get up.  I also cannot always put my own socks on due to flexibility issues.  But my health problems are centered around my muscles - particularly on them clenching up and not releasing.  

I tried to do it the way you did, but I cannot get off of my rumpus, even when trying to rock up.  Sigh.

Ummm, and why did you never tell me how totes adorbs you are???

P.S.  How old are you?  You look very youthful.

I credit my squat obsessed zumba instructors :D

48!

Has anyone been able to get a 10 on this? I can get a 9, but not a 10, and I'm not convinced I could've gotten a 10 at my peak either (but then and again, I've never had a reason before to not use the side of my leg or a hand on my knee or w/e to get up from sitting).

I got a ten.... :D

Oo! For once, a test where I scored super well! No points off on the stand-sit-stand test, and on the UK 5-year risk, I scored 13 years UNDER my real age with a .6% risk of dying in 5 years! Guess you all are stuck with me for decades to come… ;)    :tongue_smilie:  :001_tt2:  :laugh:​ 

• Like 1

And associated biological age.

http://www.ubble.co.uk/risk-calculator/disclaimer.php

I'm surprised by how few questions they use.  If you want to take it, the three benefits mentioned would mean that you couldn't work due to disability, you needed someone to help with you with daily personal tasks, or you needed a badge on your car so that you could park in a disabled spot.

I'm apparently 45 and have a 0.8% risk of dying in the next five years.

ETA: interesting - if I were male, I'd be 37 and would still have a 0.8% risk

L

Hey!  I'm 39 and have only 0.5% risk!

Woo Hoo.  I will take it.  I enjoy shaving more than a decade off.  ;) 

And associated biological age.

http://www.ubble.co.uk/risk-calculator/disclaimer.php

I'm surprised by how few questions they use.

They probably used many more variables and then realized that these 10 or whatever variables explained most of the variation between individuals. So even though, given all that, whether or not you drink wine or smoke weed or ride a motorcycle will affect your chances of death, those ones are the main ones. There are statistical methods to determine which variables out of a huge menu (such as the 1 portion of the 1 gene out of all the segments on all 46, or the factors for mortality out of all the different parts of our lives, are the most relevant. 

I'm apparently 45 and have a 0.8% risk of dying in the next five years.

ETA: interesting - if I were male, I'd be 37 and would still have a 0.8% risk

I was only 26 and have a 2% chance of dying. But I lied and said I was 40 when really I'm 37. They wouldn't let a 37 year old take the test.

I can do it.

I gave myself an 11 because I can do this with a sword on my head. I really think it's as much a balance trick as anything and attempting it when you're not warmed up or used to doing stuff like this seems risky on the knees. Barring bad knees, I think lots of people could work up to this if they really wanted to.

• Like 4

I gave myself an 11 because I can do this with a sword on my head. I really think it's as much a balance trick as anything and attempting it when you're not warmed up or used to doing stuff like this seems risky on the knees. Barring bad knees, I think lots of people could work up to this if they really wanted to.

Yes, I think concepts like MovNat are basically based on the idea that you can practice and develop movement skills, starting where you are! I, however, cannot do this with a sword, or nun chucks, or flaming batons in hand.  :lol:

My Ubble age is 22, so I am going to send them a check for a hundred dollars for saying such nice things about me. :) I am turning 40 in a couple of months. 

I just did the stand sit stand thing by squatting - no crossed legs at all.  Does that count?  I squatted down, sat on my bottom, crossed my legs; uncrossed, put my feet flat on the floor, stood up.  No hands, no wobbles.

Yup, pretty sure it does.  I think anything counts so long as no knee, hands, side of legs are involved but just pure core & leg strength.

You did it how my dh does it. When I was doing it later with my dd, she did it that way & my way & so then I had to compare. Dh does it with feet together, dd & I do better with feet wider than our hips & a press up to a squat & up.

I agree that this is a blend of balance & strength & I agree with KungFuPanda that it is something that if you have a basic level of fitness but are struggling with it you can just tweak a bit of technique & figure out where your weight shift points are & figure it out. But I can still see how it is correlated to overall strength and balance and flexibility.

• Like 2

I am 42, so 9 years younger than my real age, and I have a 0.7 % risk.

I got a 10 on the second test. I found it easy. I think it's the yoga that helped. Also that I work with 5 year olds and we do plenty of carpet time. They keep me nimble!

ETA I did the second test cross legged first. Then I read Laura's method and I had to try it too! I was able to do it that way too.

• Like 2

I can easily get a ten. i am only 36 so maybe that has something to do with it.

Well, not being 90 probably helps, but I'm 30. I'm also borderline obese, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I guess maybe I could've done it when I was less heavy; I just never had any reason to try.

Just tried it again, and not getting anywhere without using a at least one of the no-nos. My center of gravity is very obviously located in my butt though, so that probably doesn't help either. I guess the good news is that a pear shape is healthier than an apple shape?

Yes - I do it with feet wide.  My training is a combination of Asian squat toilets and yoga.

My kids tried this.  Little dd put her legs out to the side of her body (bent) and rose to a squat and then up.  I can't do it this way, either.  In fact, I tried, hard, but I do not think I can get better than a 9 on this even if someone offered me $100.  I lack the leg strength and need to lose 30 pounds.

<off to get an Asian squat toilet for fitness purposes>

• Like 2

I just transitioned from mid-30s to my late-30s.

It gave me an ubble age of 23 with a .1% chance of dying in the next five years.

The Discovery test I got a 9.5 (I lost .5 for loss of balance getting up). 

I've been on steroid medicine for the past three months and gained 40 pounds, so I was surprised by both results. I've noticed a definite slowing down and loss of flexibility.

But my family squats - to play, to cook, to eat. My ex-husband commented on it once when I was organizing the lower kitchen cabinets, that I was squatting instead of just sitting on the ground.  My family is Asian, so maybe it's habit or DNA ;).

My family is Asian, so maybe it's habit or DNA ;).

Can't be DNA - I'm not Asian, but I've learned to be happy squatting...

I think it's a shame that Western children, who squat and stand happily when they are toddlers, just lose the habit as they get older.  Meanwhile, someone happily squatting while waiting for a bus is a normal sight in China.

I remember that at my local airport in China, there was one stall with a Western style loo - it was marked for disabled use.  And when I lived in Hong Kong, there was solemn discussion of putting one Western toilet in each set of public WCs, so that old frail people would not be discouraged from going out of the house by fear of falling if they stopped to spend a penny.

• Like 1

Just tried it again, and not getting anywhere without using a at least one of the no-nos.

I DID IT! I did it I did it I did it!

(okay, actually I only did it 3 times)

Putting my feet really wide next to me (instead of in front like the picture) did the trick. :)

• Like 2

Well that was fun!  I am 10 years younger than my age (and I'm telling what it is), with a .9% chance of dying.  I'm otherwise in good health, but I do have a close family member with a severe life-long injury, so I assume that impacted my score.  Maybe my brisk walk helps even things out though.

I got a 10 in the other, although I could go down much more quickly than coming up.  The only way I could come up without using a hand or knee was to do it very slowly.

• Like 1