Menu

Are your kids addicted to Minecraft??

My kids both love playing Minecraft, but since they only turn it on 1-3 times a week I wouldn't call them addicted.  

I've seen the addiction play out in some of their friends though, many of whom are no longer allowed to play.  I don't know what was different for those kids vs mine.  I don't overly limit their access, they are allowed as much screen time they want as long as its after 2 and they have done all their schoolwork.  Several of the severely addicted kids were allowed to play much less.  We aren't super busy and always out of the house.  I don't know.  Maybe its simply personality?        

• Like 2

Nope. They've only played it at a friend's home for a few minutes. However I have been accosted by a homeschool mother at the jump park and informed about all its wonders and homeschool servers and ____ before she could take a breath. It obviously has some very loyal followers.

Coding games on the other hand? DD/5th and DS/7th may be leaning addicted to those. They get seriously intense when they're trying to get unstuck. Fwiw, they are learning actual computer languages and it's a good logic exercise.

• Like 2

Ok, I'll bite.  :-)  I wouldn't say we are "addicted" around here, but it's something everyone enjoys and is a frequent choice during screen time around here.   My kids get some fun screen time most days-- about 30-60 minutes-- and they are pretty free to chose how to spend it (or to not do it at all, which is sometimes the case for DD -- she gets busier with other things she would rather do).   Lately the younger boys have been picking Netflix cartoons more often than Minecraft.

So, here are things we like about Minecraft:

Open ended (not just "one thing" you have to do or one goal)

You can fight "monsters" or not -- your choice based on settings

There is always something new to create or discover (new worlds or new places you haven't visited)

So many options to create things (buildings, circuits w/redstone, statues, etc)

Co-operative play instead of competitive -- either opening to LAN within the house between different computers, or we also play on a friend's private server

Even the little guy (age 3.5) can play on the iPad.

With mods, even more possibilities and options (DS8 loves Pixelmon...a mod that turns minecraft in to a Pokemon game)

It's just a game.  I wouldn't say we've found it especially educational (maybe tangentially -- knowing how many blocks it will take to build a particular structure or problem solving to figure out why a redstone circuit doesn't work).  The graphics aren't "supposed" to be good. That is what is kind of endearing about it to some people -- the challenge of how much you can create with just a bunch of blocks.  I actually do prefer my kids playing minecraft over TV or some more "mindless" video games though in some ways, because it does use way more brain power to build things in minecraft than to just mindless shoot at aliens or veg out in front of a cartoon.  I will say the PC version is way more full-featured than the pocket edition (for iPad, etc).  It looks better and there is more to do.

Here is why I like it personally and sometimes chose it for my evening "wind down and relax time."  When I was growing up and playing Super Mario Brothers on the Nintendo (you know, that original grey Nintendo from the 80s).  I liked the concept but always wished there wasn't just one path. And I wanted to go explore what was down those "other" tunnels -- not just the ones that led to the "right" place.  Things got better as the game systems got better, but what I didn't like about all the video games I tried is that they were tied to following a pretty fixed path (even if maybe there were a few options on the way) -- no exploring, and you always had to fight the bad guys.  Or some games were about creating but not exploring.  Some games were a a little bit about exploring, but to complete one particular goal (like solving a puzzle).  I always wanted a game where I could do whatever I wanted too -- maybe explore, maybe create, maybe fight a monster (uh, not that very often!) -- whatever I felt like that day.    I didn't want someone else to dictate the goal.   When I discovered Minecraft, I felt like someone had created the game I had been dreaming of since childhood.  But I know that's not what everyone wants out of a video game -- some people love the challenge of finishing a game and completing a goal.  Some people just want to challenge their skill on a puzzle or their skill of shooting aliens out of the sky.  I like relaxing by building a new building, or exploring a cave, or setting out over the landscape looking for something new!  Relaxing with any kind of video game is not everyone's cuppa, and that's cool too.  I haven't played in a couple months, as I have been getting back into blogging more, reading a couple good books, and watching a lot of Dr. Who episodes.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 13

Well we all need to feel superior about something, don't we?  I would be sad that my child couldn't stop what they were doing to learn about someone else's interests.  But, different strokes I guess. 

FWIW, if you are really good at knitting you can do it without looking down and thus watch a program or game while continuing your work. 

• Like 9

well, mine play it, Epic Mickey, Little Big Planet 3, Raymond Legends (so fun, my favorite). They also play with neighborhood kids, play barbies, play with their beanie boos, play in our pool, ride bikes, hike, read books, paint, color. It isn't ALL they do. It is just a part of them being them.

• Like 2

My kids are addicted to messing up our house :lol: My boys can knit well and they play minecraft occasionally but neither holds their interest.

FWIW, if you are really good at knitting you can do it without looking down and thus watch a program or game while continuing your work.

I agree :)

It sounds like the girl was at least making an attempt at being social with your child, even if she did a poor job in your mind. She is likely very uninterested in your DD's knitting hobby and finds it too repetitive and boring compared to the more open ended exploration pattern of minecraft and was trying to bridge the interest gap by offering your child to watch her so that they would be able to make conversation. As a parent I would encourage my child to make conversation with another child about their interests rather than completely shutting the door on their attempt at being social.

• Like 7

I love where this thread has gone. I was actually knitting just a moment ago, I refused to put my project down while my ds5 gave me a tour of the minecraft amusement park he built. Parents do not worry enough about the addictive quality of the fiber arts.

• Like 18

I love where this thread has gone. I was actually knitting just a moment ago, I refused to put my project down while my ds5 gave me a tour of the minecraft amusement park he built. Parents do not worry enough about the addictive quality of the fiber arts.

Seriously! Have you priced good quality yarn lately!? I mean at least Minecraft was a one time purchase. Mods are free, especially if your kid learns to program them. That's a useful (meaningful? worthwhile? respectable?) skill, though, of course.

• Like 9

Seriously! Have you priced good quality yarn lately!? I mean at least Minecraft was a one time purchase. Mods are free, especially if your kid learns to program them. That's a useful (meaningful? worthwhile? respectable?) skill, though, of course.

This.  I wish I could knit endlessly for the price of one computer game.  LOL!

• Like 4

You want to hear something funny, OP? All three of my kids are addicted to Minecraft and I have had to restrict it unlike any other activity, including other video games. But oh my word! The judgmental way your post comes across was literally breathtaking. I actually gasped aloud.

Does your kid do x? I'm so glad mine doesn't. What in the world is the appeal? Enlighten me. Seriously?! Not exactly coming across as open-minded.

Out of curiosity, did your DD offer to teach the girl how to knit? My DD learned from a friend. They knit together, play dragons (pretend play, not a screen), swim, play Minecraft (sometimes watching each other to learn tricks), have fairy picnics, play clay, climb trees... Heck, sometimes they just sit in the same room in silence and read. LOL

What's the appeal? You can build anything you can imagine. ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE!!!! LOL The appeal is strong for those with a big imagination.

• Like 24

Well, T actually asked me to enroll her in a Python programming class because the projects are Minecraft based. She's not into techy stuff at all, usually, so I was pleasantly surprised that she was willing to do a Comp Sci class. OTOH, she hated the knitting and crocheting classes she took locally. She made the projects, but never wanted to touch another piece of yarn again ever. I can't envision her ever really needing to knit something short of a zombie apocalypse but I bet the Python programming will come in handy.

• Like 4

Dd might get addicted to Minecraft if she was allowed to spend much time on it.  Though she tends to prefer games like Animal Jam.

I do have a generalized kind of concern with games like that.  I don't dispute that they are fun and can fulfill a creative urge, but I'm not sure that is actually a good thing.  A lot of computer games are popular because they allow people to satisfy urges - like the urge to create or develop a skill - but without actually producing anything or actually developing a skill.  You can learn to play guitar in a game, or spend hours trying to build a cool castle, and it really is neat and yes, some energy is expended, and that desire to engage in craftsmanship is indulged.  But it is a kind of cheap and easy way to get that feeling - you don't actually have to spend serious time, and bodily effort, in learning to play an instrument or carve a block of stone.

I feel like it has a lot of potential to dilute the desire to do more substantial things, even apart from the time it can take up.  It's something I think that kids, who haven't yet had much opportunity to decide to develop a skill and are on a long road if they do, are particularly vulnerable to.

• Like 3

Dd might get addicted to Minecraft if she was allowed to spend much time on it. Though she tends to prefer games like Animal Jam.

I do have a generalized kind of concern with games like that. I don't dispute that they are fun and can fulfill a creative urge, but I'm not sure that is actually a good thing. A lot of computer games are popular because they allow people to satisfy urges - like the urge to create or develop a skill - but without actually producing anything or actually developing a skill. You can learn to play guitar in a game, or spend hours trying to build a cool castle, and it really is neat and yes, some energy is expended, and that desire to engage in craftsmanship is indulged. But it is a kind of cheap and easy way to get that feeling - you don't actually have to spend serious time, and bodily effort, in learning to play an instrument or carve a block of stone.

I feel like it has a lot of potential to dilute the desire to do more substantial things, even apart from the time it can take up. It's something I think that kids, who haven't yet had much opportunity to decide to develop a skill and are on a long road if they do, are particularly vulnerable to.

I do see some truth in this, for my kids, which is why I restrict it. I've got kids who are knitting, woodworking, model rocket building, novel writing, nature journaling, robot designing, art making, embroidering, swimming, tree climbing, baseball playing, stop-motion movie making, scrapjournaling, quilting, origami folding, reading, hiking... And my bias is that I do see all of those as more worthwhile. So when I see other interests pushed aside or new interests restricted due to tunnel vision, we talk about limits and brain candy, and they get balanced out again.

• Like 4

My older 3 play on the computer, my 4 year old plays the pocket edition on the iPad. I play with them in our "homeworld" on the LAN, as does DH. Addicted? No, but DS1 does ramble on about it more than I would like sometimes. It's something we all enjoy playing.

I'm married to a software engineer, and my computer game playing daughter went on to major in computer science engineering. She has an internship this summer where she's making four times as much as I did when I was a college graduate! So I think my take on computer stuff is probably a little different than some folks. ;)

I'm not concerned about my 9 year old's love of Minecraft. Today, he wrote an app to track our miles walking the dog. His interest in coding was sparked by a desire to learn to mod Minecraft.

To each his own. Personally, I find knitting to be mind-numbingly boring, but I know that some folks are passionate about it, and that's okay! I don't understand the appeal, but I don't have to understand it. I have no interest in judging other people's hobbies.

• Like 5

My kids do this, too, and I don't get the appeal at all.

Mine too. I usderstood when they were watching how to build videos but I don't get the appeal of Stampy Longnose. I bought the game for them and they have only played it once. I will hook it up to a friend's server and see what happens. I would prefer they played with friends once a week.

I like that the graphics are bad.

• Like 1

Your daughter could knit Minecraft characters.  Ds borrowed a Minecraft-themed craft book from the library.  The knit doll project was one that caught his eye.  Alas, no knitters in our family. He made felt cubes instead. 

Both my sons like Minecraft.  They like to play, but they also like to read about it, and incorporate it into non-screen play.  It is an interest shared by many children, so it gives them something in common to talk about with non-homeschooled children.   

Dh despises Minecraft.  He likes to play SimCity.  :lol:

My kids love Minecraft...and are addicted to Skylanders. I have no idea why...I have zero interest in video games myself so my interest extends to making sure it's age appropriate and thats it...I don't know what they actually do in the game.

My DD is crafty so if your DD was knitting she would put it down and ask to be taught...however when friends are visiting I tell my kids to put their games away unless the other kid is addicted too and they want to play together.

My kids love building things...they spend a lot of hours with Lego or all sorts of other building materials...we have many types...so,its no suprise to me they also

like minecraft.

Unless it's taking up all their waking hours I don't see the issue.

Wow.....I'm surprised how negatively my post apparently came across as.  I didn't intend that AT ALL.  The only reason I said I'm glad my child isn't addicted, or into, Minecraft, is because I could see it zapping huge amounts of her time....but I didn't mean to imply that it's a bad game or anything.  

Why the rage for knitting? Sorry but I'm getting tired of these condescending posts. Some kids like it. Some kids don't. I don't question why my kid doesn't like coconut or knitting and I don't puzzle myself as to why others do. Do what you works for your family and I'll do what works for mine. If you are really curious, there's been plenty of threads on this topic.

Condescending?  Really?  I'm sorry you took it that way.  I didn't intend for it to come across that way in any way.  I just felt like chatting and made the post.  I don't think Minecraft is wrong or anything.  I was genuinely curious what's it all about and why it seems to be so popular.  I really didn't want to take the time to look up other threads about it.  You think my post was condescending but I think your reply to me is rude and unkind. 

Well we all need to feel superior about something, don't we?  I would be sad that my child couldn't stop what they were doing to learn about someone else's interests.  But, different strokes I guess. 

Not sure what you first sentence means.  My daughter is very polite and did watch the girl, btw.  And, yes...she can knit without looking at what she's knitting.  

It sounds like the girl was at least making an attempt at being social with your child, even if she did a poor job in your mind. She is likely very uninterested in your DD's knitting hobby and finds it too repetitive and boring compared to the more open ended exploration pattern of minecraft and was trying to bridge the interest gap by offering your child to watch her so that they would be able to make conversation. As a parent I would encourage my child to make conversation with another child about their interests rather than completely shutting the door on their attempt at being social.

What?  It's amazing how people assume such things.  I never said I thought she did a poor job at attempting to be social.  And regarding your last sentence....wow.  Thank you for the parental advice that's not even close to what actually happened.  

For petes sake... 

You want to hear something funny, OP? All three of my kids are addicted to Minecraft and I have had to restrict it unlike any other activity, including other video games. But oh my word! The judgmental way your post comes across was literally breathtaking. I actually gasped aloud.

Does your kid do x? I'm so glad mine doesn't. What in the world is the appeal? Enlighten me. Seriously?! Not exactly coming across as open-minded.

Out of curiosity, did your DD offer to teach the girl how to knit? My DD learned from a friend. They knit together, play dragons (pretend play, not a screen), swim, play Minecraft (sometimes watching each other to learn tricks), have fairy picnics, play clay, climb trees... Heck, sometimes they just sit in the same room in silence and read. LOL

What's the appeal? You can build anything you can imagine. ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE!!!! LOL The appeal is strong for those with a big imagination.

If your kids are addicted to Minecraft, that's fine.  I don't care.  I'm not saying that's bad.  My kids addicted to things....I was merely curious about what Minecraft is all about and why it's so extremely popular.  I've watched her play, and I just don't get it.  That's.all.  I'm extremely sorry I even posted at all.  There were a lot of helpful comments that explained about Minecraft, and I'm very grateful to know more about it.  Your response just boggles me and frankly....makes me ill.  I'm just so sick of the nastiness online I seem to get all the time.  

And, yes...my daughter has taught her to knit with needles and on round looms.  The girl has now gotten her own round loom set.  I wish you would have just replied with your last sentence.  That was helpful.  I have no clue what you do with Minecraft, that's why I wanted to know.  

• Like 1

Sincerely, if nastiness was directed my way "all the time," I like to think I would consider the possibility that my phrasing could use some work. From your response, you are sorry people took what you said the wrong way? This is not an apology. Obviously you don't feel you owe anyone an apology. But in my opinion, regardless of your intention, when so many people have come away with an interpretation of your words that was not intended, that is something worthy of an apology instead of defensiveness. You are shocked by the responses, but if you try to reread the OP objectively, do you really not see how it looked to most of us responding?

• Like 4

I think kids being social with screens is just tricky. We were at one of my friend's homes the other day and her ds spent the whole time on his tablet and not really speaking to any of the guests. He let my kids watch him play and sort of kind of chatted with them for a bit. After we left my kids were a bit put off. They were like, that was really rude. He was the host and he didn't even make eye contact. They said they really got my general no screens with company rule after that experience.

On the other hand, when my kids are with some friends, they do all play screens together and watch each other play - mostly Minecraft or Terraria, but sometimes other games. And it's very social - they trade devices back and forth and hook theirs all up together via bluetooth and chat and play together.

• Like 4

I'm just so sick of the nastiness online I seem to get all the time.  

I think if you try harder to not offend your readers, you will get better results. I found your first post nasty and that seems to be a common response. I know you didn't mean it that way. However, all we see is what you write. Smilies can temper things but they can also come across as sarcastic. They won't placate readers ticked off by what you write. So it's always best to think about how the reader will receive your message if they are part of the group you're talking about.

You've got 4500 posts on the Hive, so although I don't recognize your avatar or user name, you've been here a while. You know the culture of the boards. If you stick with a more conciliatory tone you're much less likely to get the stingers out.

• Like 2

Sincerely, if nastiness was directed my way "all the time," I like to think I would consider the possibility that my phrasing could use some work. From your response, you are sorry people took what you said the wrong way? This is not an apology. Obviously you don't feel you owe anyone an apology. But in my opinion, regardless of your intention, when so many people have come away with an interpretation of your words that was not intended, that is something worthy of an apology instead of defensiveness. You are shocked by the responses, but if you try to reread the OP objectively, do you really not see how it looked to most of us responding?

Do you have to twist everything?  

I think kids being social with screens is just tricky. We were at one of my friend's homes the other day and her ds spent the whole time on his tablet and not really speaking to any of the guests. He let my kids watch him play and sort of kind of chatted with them for a bit. After we left my kids were a bit put off. They were like, that was really rude. He was the host and he didn't even make eye contact. They said they really got my general no screens with company rule after that experience.

On the other hand, when my kids are with some friends, they do all play screens together and watch each other play - mostly Minecraft or Terraria, but sometimes other games. And it's very social - they trade devices back and forth and hook theirs all up together via bluetooth and chat and play together.

That sounds like fun for your kids (the second paragraph, not the first, LOL!).  

Yeah, I wouldn't allow the first at all, if my child is the host. But the second, yes. DD plays with her friends, the boys play with theirs, and sometimes all the siblings and friends play together. Most of the time, they are not playing video games of any kind, but I see nothing wrong with sharing in the fun as long as no one is left out and everyone uses their manners.

• Like 1

Right. I love that this is one way kids really play together. These sandbox games are creative and fun. But I guess part of what I was trying to say, at least to the OP, is that I think it's easy from the outside to think that the kid with her eyes stuck to the screen was being "rude." And, indeed, a child engaged in an activity and refusing to interact with others can be pretty anti-social. But for kids for whom this sort of social play - watching each other, talking about it, playing jointly on different devices - is common, then I think it can be hard for them to automatically see when they've crossed a line to being closed off by their screen instead of approachable because of it. And that's not something that I would expect all young people to be able to get - or even all parents, since it's such a new thing.

• Like 2

I am so glad mine isn't.   :001_smile:  My girl JB sure likes her PS2 Sims Pets though.  

I babysit for a girl who is very hooked on Minecraft.  The last time we were there my daughter was sitting quietly busy knitting....the girl was sitting next to her on her tablet playing Minecraft.  She asked my daughter if she wanted to move her chair over closer and watch her play (yeah...like that's really what she'd wanna do,  :001_rolleyes:).  JB didn't want to, but just politely said, "Well, it's kind of hard to knit and watch you play at the same time."  The reply:  "Oh no...I mean for you to stop knitting and watch me play."   :lol:

I'm sure there's skills involved and learning...but it just does not appeal to me or my kid.  The graphics (at least what she plays)...is pretty bad, imho.  Everything is square.  When I watch it, I feel like I could get a headache.  I don't get it....  Enlighten me please.  Why all the rage?   Just curious.

Hi OP,

I'll just start off by saying that no one in our family plays Minecraft and I am pretty ambiivalent about it - so I have no horse in this race! 

OP, I think you can agree on two things about your post

1. You didn't mean to be offensive

2. Many people are taking offense

Why? Well, what if we switched knitting and mine craft around? 

Ok, here goes

"Are your kids addicted to KNITTING? I am so glad mine isn'tĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I babysit for a girl who is very hooked on KNITTING. The last time we were there my daughter was sitting quietly busy playing MINECRAFTĂ¢â‚¬Â¦the girl sitting next to her was KNITTING. She asked my daughter if she wanted to move her chair over and watch her KNIT (yeahĂ¢â‚¬Â¦like that's really what she would want to do)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦JB didn't want to, but just politely said, "Well it's kind of hard to play and watch you at the same time."

So you see that even without the emoticons, "I am so glad mine isn't" and "yeahĂ¢â‚¬Â¦like that's really what she would want to do" shows disdain. And if that was your intent, then I think that's totally fine and I'm sure there are many who would agree with you! But if you were genuinely just curious about Minecraft and did not mean to insinuate that it was an inferior activity to knitting, just leave out the emoticons and ask the question that you really want to know - what is the appeal of Minecraft? If you don't see what I am talking about then you need to resign yourself to the fact that your words will often be interpreted as snarky and disdainful. 

As I said, I don't have an opinion about Minecraft one way or the other, but I also thought your post was condescending and self celebratory.

• Like 7

I'll admit I was harsh. Let me explain why.

I'm not sure how to take that. 

I'm pretty sure at this point watching others play Minecraft on YouTube or Twitch is more popular than playing it themselves. It's a social thing and a way for kids to learn how to make or do new things, to gather and share ideas.

Then why ask? If your child has no interest in it and neither do you, then why ask? 

The graphics are bad, but that is part of the charm. It reminds us of the games we played on the old computer as a child. There are texture packs you can download to improve the graphics and give the blocks a different look such as castle blocks or have elements that have an Asian look. 

I cannot play it. I tried, but I get motion sickness super easily after my first pregnancy. So, yeah, I got a headache, too. 

My kids are not addicted to Minecraft. I really do feel like it's not for everyone. There are some huge pros and cons with it. Some kids do get addicted. The behavior you posted about, may not have been addiction, but how kids interact when they play Minecraft. Kids who play Minecraft enjoy watching others play. It has educational benefits. Schools are using it, homeschools are using it to supplement and add some fun to their curriculum. It teaches them to code.

Thank you for the reply.  

I wish I'd just not post things that could become controversial....cuz I know what I'm talking about and my tone, but I guess there's no way that can really come off correctly to others onllne.

Let me try to explain myself better:

I am so glad mine isn't.    :001_smile:  My girl JB sure likes her PS2 Sims Pets though.  

Maybe addicted is the wrong word, because it's usually taken as a bad thing.  Maybe "hooked on" would be better, I don't know.  When I said I was glad mine isn't...because she's got too much goin' on as it is....one less thing for her to be hooked on.  The girl I babysit for is definitely hooked on it....she could spend hours and hours on it each day.  I'll let her play it for awhile when I watch her, but when I'm not there there is no restrictions on her time on it.  If we go to the library...she wants to get on the library computer to play Minecraft and watch Minecraft youtube videos.  If we go to the park she wants to bring her tablet to play Minecraft.  

(yeah...like that's really what she'd wanna do,   :001_rolleyes:)

I didn't mean this to sound mean.  What I meant was...it's not something my daughter would want to do....sit there and watch someone play a game that she doesn't enjoy.  This could go on every time we watch this girl....she'd want my daughter to sit there and watch her play Minecraft the entire time.  My daughter has gotten her to do other things, occasionally, but now all this girl will do is Minecraft.  So, my daughter will just bring a book or her knitting and do her own thing.  Here again....I know what I'm talking about when I post that, but I realize other people have no clue.  This girl is all me, me, me, me, me.  She is has an intense need for us to watch her do *everything*.  Sometimes it gets old.  I also watch her brother, who has his own issues, and I can't give my undivided attention to her.  

I did not realize watching other people play the game was so popular and a social thing, as you explained.  

but it just does not appeal to me or my kid.

I wanted to find out what the appeal to this game is, because of the kids I babysit for.  The girl is getting her brother into it now too.  It's next to impossible to get them off their tablets to do something else.  There are screaming fits and throwing things.  It's not pretty.  There are many, many issues with these 2 kids.  

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like it could give them a headache...this is why I can't sit there and watch her play it.  

That's interesting information about the coding, etc.  

Hi OP,

I'll just start off by saying that no one in our family plays Minecraft and I am pretty ambiivalent about it - so I have no horse in this race! 

OP, I think you can agree on two things about your post

1. You didn't mean to be offensive

2. Many people are taking offense

Why? Well, what if we switched knitting and mine craft around? 

Ok, here goes

"Are your kids addicted to KNITTING? I am so glad mine isn'tĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I babysit for a girl who is very hooked on KNITTING. The last time we were there my daughter was sitting quietly busy playing MINECRAFTĂ¢â‚¬Â¦the girl sitting next to her was KNITTING. She asked my daughter if she wanted to move her chair over and watch her KNIT (yeahĂ¢â‚¬Â¦like that's really what she would want to do)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦JB didn't want to, but just politely said, "Well it's kind of hard to play and watch you at the same time."

So you see that even without the emoticons, "I am so glad mine isn't" and "yeahĂ¢â‚¬Â¦like that's really what she would want to do" shows disdain. And if that was your intent, then I think that's totally fine and I'm sure there are many who would agree with you! But if you were genuinely just curious about Minecraft and did not mean to insinuate that it was an inferior activity to knitting, just leave out the emoticons and ask the question that you really want to know - what is the appeal of Minecraft? If you don't see what I am talking about then you need to resign yourself to the fact that your words will often be interpreted as snarky and disdainful. 

As I said, I don't have an opinion about Minecraft one way or the other, but I also thought your post was condescending and self celebratory.

Self celebratory?  

The actual post really has nothing to even do with knitting, so I was certainly not implying that Minecraft is inferior to knitting.  That's just what she was doing at that time.  

No, disdain was not my intent.  

Is this a sitting job you need?  The simple solution is to tell the parents that because of past behavioral issues relating to tablet use, you will no longer allow the children to use them while they are in your care.

If the parents feel that constant access to the tablets is their childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s right, they will find another sitter.  If having you remain the sitter is a higher priority, they will agree to your stipulation.  You and the parents also need to come to agreement on consequences for inappropriate behavior. 

The problem really sounds less a Minecraft issue than a lack of limits issue. 

I babysit for a girl who is very hooked on Minecraft.  The last time we were there my daughter was sitting quietly busy knitting....the girl was sitting next to her on her tablet playing Minecraft.  She asked my daughter if she wanted to move her chair over closer and watch her play (yeah...like that's really what she'd wanna do,  :001_rolleyes:).  JB didn't want to, but just politely said, "Well, it's kind of hard to knit and watch you play at the same time."  The reply:  "Oh no...I mean for you to stop knitting and watch me play."   :lol:

I wonder what the little girl would have said if JB had told her she could knit her some minecraft peoples/things. ;)

Mine go through phases, but as electronic time isn't a free for all whenever you want it limits it. I have one who would have happily sat next to her & watched, the other would have rolled his eyes & said, "No, let's go play." ;)

• Like 1

If the parents feel that constant access to the tablets is their childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s right, they will find another sitter. If having you remain the sitter is a higher priority, they will agree to your stipulation.

If someone is babysitting my kids, I would have rather my kids sit and play on their tablets for 1-2hrs then to make a mess at the sitter's home. If I had wanted my kids to read books, I would have ask the sitter to babysit them at the neighborhood library.

I don't know the OP in person so the following opinion is not directed at anyone. If a sitter has asked my kids to keep their tablets at home, I would be asking how you would be keeping them entertained. One gets into scrapes and bruises even in gym class, another gets hives often from outdoors. Their non-electronic way of not being bored is a ream of paper each and pencils. They might doodle or make plenty of paper airplanes.

If the sitter is wiling to tutor my kids at the cost of babysitting, I would be very thrilled.

My children love Minecraft.  They are at a Minecraft event right now.  They sometimes complain when screen time is over.  But they do not have screaming fits nor do they throw objects when told it is time shut down their devices.  If a sitter reported to me that they had, I would expect the next words from the sitterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s mouth to be Ă¢â‚¬Å“as a consequence the child was not permitted screen access for the remainder of day.Ă¢â‚¬Â  That is a natural consequence of an unacceptable behavior.  Most likely, I would extend the restriction.   

OP appears to be having a difficult time with this girl and her brother.  In her follow up posts she refers to issues beyond differing opinions on the value of a game.  If OP had included information from the follow-up in the initial post, I think responses would have been different.   

I am not clear whether OP is an occasional sitter or whether she is watching these children daily.  

If the former, my suggestion is to decline to sit for these children in the future.  If the later, in my opinion, she and the parents need to come to an agreement on expectations.  Otherwise OP, her daughter, and the children are all in for a miserable summer.

My kiddos like it and can get lost in the building.  However, I limit screen time to 30 minutes a day after schoolwork, chores, and outside play.  DH gives them more time on the weekends.  He has a home server though that lets all the kids and himself play together in the same world.   I don't know how much it is benefiting them in real life, but they have fun, enjoy doing the activity with DH, and talking about how to build things.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness. What a thread.

Gaming is a hobby, like any other hobby. 

Children can still be sociable whilst gaming. My son and his friends game and Skype.

Children who love Minecraft do not lose the ability to love other things.

My Minecraft loving child also loved this week: baking, park day with friends - 5 hours running around outside with shock, horror, other kids! - running lines for a play with a friend, walking with me, listening to read-alouds, audio-books and reading, practicing soccer in the backyard....

I know parents like to bolster their self esteem with 'thank goodness MY child doesn't X' but it's truly very old.

Frankly, I'm very glad to have an all-rounder who can have fun in lots of different ways, including mainstream ways like gaming, without a snotty attitude about anyone's hobbies.

Thank you Sadie.  Yes, I totally intended to bolster my own self esteem with my "thank goodness MY child doesn't X".  And you got it....I totally have a snotty attitude about anyone's hobbies.  (I would insert an emoticon here but apparently those are confusing to some people).  

Did you not even read any of my other comments in this thread....or did you just jump to the reply button after reading post #1??  And, if you did read on, then why this reply?  

To everyone else:

Do any of you people even think before you make such harsh judgements about other people?  Seriously....many of the comments are hurtful.  

I know my original post is being taken completely the wrong way....and I've tried reexplaining myself and what I meant.  But, still the judgemental comments keep coming.  

I didn't go into a lot of details in my original post about this babysitting job, because I didn't think I needed to.  And, I still don't think I need to.  Yes, the parents and I have discussed these kids many, many times and we have rules and consequences in place (I'm surprised some assume we've not done this).  Their behavior is actually improving, mostly because I will not tolerate what they can get away with when I'm not there.  I honestly think these kids need me in their life right now.  They are very happy when they see me there when they come home, and groan when I tell them I won't be there for a few days.  But, this is getting off track and I'm getting into more than I had wanted to share...

Let's just let this thread die, please.  

To everyone else:

Do any of you people even think before you make such harsh judgements about other people?  Seriously....many of the comments are hurtful.  

I know my original post is being taken completely the wrong way....and I've tried reexplaining myself and what I meant.  But, still the judgemental comments keep coming.  

You're not actually taking responsibility for coming across that way though. "I'm sorry you have negative emotions about my words and actions" is not a real apology. A real apology is "I'm sorry I worded it like that. That was harsher than I intended to be." Telling everyone they took your post the wrong way is placing all responsibility on everyone else and none on yourself, the person who wrote the post and is ultimately responsible for communicating your intent.

It's kind of funny that you're complaining that other people's comments are hurtful. Forgive me for speaking for other people but I'll just say... I'm sorry you feel that way. ;)

• Like 3