Menu

Childrens Movies without Romance or Character Death

mathmarm

What do you count as romance? My 2yo's favourite movie is Milo and Otis. It is about a dog and cat growing up and adventuring out in the world. They are real animals, not cartoons. At the end there are some scenes where they meet other dogs and cats and you see puppies and kittens being born.

We also love Totoro. The mother is in the hospital and at one point the daughters think she could die, but she doesn't.

Wall-E, the robots "kiss" at the end but I wouldn't count it as romance.

Winnie the Pooh should be ok.

I like to look up movies at commonsensemedia.org. The parent comments usually indicate if something concerning happens in the movie.

Cars is a good movie, but Lightening McQueen falls for another car...don't remember her name right now.

I was also thinking Finding Nemo, but I think 1 fish dies in a flashback of a girl shaking up the fish (don't remember for sure though)

Toy Story

ETA you could also stick with educational videos like Leapfrog.

free willy movies

homeward bound (also has a sequel) - there's a wedding between mom and step-dad at the beginning of the first one.   but that's it for 'romance'. (it's more just to set-up what comes later.  not in depth at all.)

I'd suggest some of the wonderful world of Disney 'movies' from the 50's/60's.  (not the cartoons)

dudeling was *very* skeptical when I got him bedknobs and broomsticks.   he'd replay the armored knights scene over and over. 

• Like 1

I don't have a good succint definition of romance but I'll say that the classic tale of "boy meets girl" is at its heart--a romance.

Also tales where a prominent character is motivated to do the things that he does out of the desire to gain the attention and affection of their love interests. (ie, I'll go on the quest for The Gem because when I return a hero, the lovely princess will just have to notice me then!)

So WallE is out, he's motivated to take most of his actions by his frantic love of Eve (Who could have been a mass murdering lunatic for all he knew)

Also, romance as a background plot device (ie signals of a wedding between a couple at the beginning of a film that is part of setting up the plot) does not count.

So Lady and the Tramp is out not because Jim Darling and the Mrs marry, but because a good deal of focus is on the budding romance between Tramp and Lady themselves.

okay - I see from your sig you're talking *really* tiny kids.

veggie tales.  I admit, I didn't want to hear about it from a friend who thought they were great.  her mil bought them and everyone from toddlers to TEENS liked them.  I finally watched one - and my then teens liked them too.  . . . . and some pretty catchy tunes . . .  about the extent of their violence is throwing slushies.

kipper the dog is also a very sweet show

Does Frozen count as death of a character since she doesn't end up dead at the end? (though the parents do die part way through)

Up also has romance and death. But it does not drive the plot. It, too, is more backstory.

The deaths in Frozen (the parents) and Up (the wife + the villian)  take them out of the running. For Frozen though, even if the parents had not died in a traumatic event, the romance between Non-magic sister and the Ice selling guy prevents it from making the cut.

okay - I see from your sig you're talking *really* tiny kids.

This isn't about Jr. because for the most part he doesn't watch TV, I'm looking for movies for kids 4-11.

veggie tales.  I admit, I didn't want to hear about it from a friend who thought they were great.  her mil bought them and everyone from toddlers to TEENS liked them.  I finally watched one - and my then teens liked them too.  . . . . and some pretty catchy tunes . . .  about the extent of their violence is throwing slushies.

kipper the dog is also a very sweet show

I will check out Kipper and Veggie Tales.

Ate age 2, with DS, we watched nothing at all.  At age 3, he started with the Leapfrog movies. Particularly the Letter Factory

Other shows he liked young: (And really it was mostly shows because he grew bored of longer movies)

Kidsongs

Sid the Science Kid

WordWorld

My Fantastic Field Trip to the Planets

Milo and Otis (though he got bored and couldn't watch all the way through)

Baby Signing Time

The Snowman

Those parameters rule out most movies and stories. TV shows would exist for the 4-ish crowd, but a 8+ year old isn't going to want to watch Daniel Tiger. (Which is a sweet little show that would fit.) Odd Squad maybe? Ruff Ruffman? Cooking shows like the kids competitions? Mythbusters?

What do these kids normally watch? Normalcy might be comforting.

As the mom of adopted kids, I quickly became aware that the vast majority of good kids' / family movies involve kids who have lost one or both parents.  (Books too.)  Can't think of many off hand that don't have either death or romance as at least a side theme.

The Wizard of Oz doesn't have any main characters dying (other than the wicked witches), but it is pretty scary at times.  (And yes, Dorothy is an orphan.)

Hmm, what about Pinocchio?

Home Alone

We watched this one this past holiday season because I remembered it being one of my favorites as a kid - I was actually really shocked at some of the content that I would not typically show to my children. The slapstick humor was fine but many of the verbal references and language used and such in it were uncomfortable and we're not a conservative family either.  Mine were 4 and 6 at the time and I wish we hadn't picked it out and reminded me I should rewatch movies I liked as a kid before assuming they'd be good choices.

Disney movies are pretty much out of the running because they almost all feature deaths--either within the first 10 minutes or the last 5 minutes. I'm sure that if there are exceptions they are more likely to be in the Mickey Mouse films (Christmas Carol, Three Musketeers etc) and MM spin offs (Donald in Mathemagic Land etc.) than the Feature Length movies that go to theaters.

Find children's shows that come on Nick Jr, Cartoon Network, Sprout and PBS. Then look for tv specials or movies based on those shows.

Charlie Brown movies are very entertaining and many of them timeless. I don't know if the Peanuts brand of crushes will count too heavily as romance or not.

Has anyone seen the Tinkerbell Movies? I think that the Tinkerbell Movies will probably work but I haven't watched them, I just know there are a bunch of girl fairies in them.

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic is popular with boys and girls, despite how it is marketed.

What about

Earth to Echo

Disney Nature Documentaries.

ET The Extra Terrestrial

We watched this one this past holiday season because I remembered it being one of my favorites as a kid - I was actually really shocked at some of the content that I would not typically show to my children. The slapstick humor was fine but many of the verbal references and language used and such in it were uncomfortable and we're not a conservative family either.  Mine were 4 and 6 at the time and I wish we hadn't picked it out and reminded me I should rewatch movies I liked as a kid before assuming they'd be good choices.

I completely agree. In fact it was this last holiday season when we showed it to our kids, too. I was surprised by a few things, but I was especially appalled by how the older kids spoke to Kevin. That unkindness stuff bothers me way more than the things parents typically seem to be looking out for. I won't let my kids watch Arthur for the same reason... Anyway, rewatching first is a good idea. At least we know that we watched it and turned out okay. ;)

The Brave Little Toaster

Toy Story I (There is Little BoPeep, but it's not a romance, and Mr & Mrs Potato Head are an old married couple.)

Homeward Bound

Babe, the Gallant Pig (Maybe it is just Babe. Only the first one. Does an animal die at the beginning? It's such a great story. I always cry.)

Mary Poppins (Although Bert does fancy Mary)

Fly Away Home

Singing in the Rain (No deaths, but Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly do end up together.)

Matilda (no deaths, no romance, but terrible parents and Agatha Trunchbull. Matilda's magic.)

Monsters Inc  I (Mike and Celia, but I wouldn't exactly call it a romance)

Wizard of Oz, but witch scare factor.

ET, but intense for some

Star Trek: The Journey Home (Save the whales, formulaic Kirk hug with the scientist that helps them.)

*Sandlot is fun, but one of the young boy characters fakes a near drowning to get the pretty female Lifeguard to do mouth-to-mouth on him. I though it was pretty hilarious. They get banned from the pool the whole summer. lol. Also, Smalls' Dad is dead, his mother remarries, a story element is building a relationship with his stepdad.)

*The Sound of Music- Maria changes her mind about marrying Jesus and instead marries a man. That might be romance.

Balto: There are some tense situations since the movie is about the sled dogs traveling across Alaska for antitoxin during a diptheria epidemic, but I don't remember anyone dying. Balto's character might have a "love interest," but it's definitely puppy love and not the focus of the movie.

Air Bud: The child's father passed away while serving in the military, but this happened before the time period in which the movie is set. The plot of the movie is about a boy who bonds with a dog he has found, which helps him deal with his grief over his father's death. So, you may decide not to put it on your list, but I think it is a positive, upbeat movie with a good message.

L&S is all about the fact that the girls' parents died, though, so IDK if that would be okay.

Yes and no.  I mean, it doesn't have a death scene or a backstory about life with parents and then life without the parents.  They simply aren't there and we jump right into Lilo and her sister navigating life together when crazy Stitch shows up.  

Also, romance as a background plot device (ie signals of a wedding between a couple at the beginning of a film that is part of setting up the plot) does not count.

So Lady and the Tramp is out not because Jim Darling and the Mrs marry, but because a good deal of focus is on the budding romance between Tramp and Lady themselves.

Honestly I am confused. We all have different opinions but I think there are many fantastic children's movies where romance is part of it such as Cinderella and The Princess Bride. I see it as showing kids the value of love.

Obviously there are adult romance shows where I would not show really young kids but would not have a problem showing tweens as long as there is no objectionable material. I am hoping my ds is inspired by romance someday:)

Walt Disney's "Ben and Me" and "Mr. Revere and I" are American-history, animated movies, based on books by Robert Lawson. At least one of those is available on Youtube. they are *excellent.*

"National Velvet" with Elizabeth Taylor, and "Lassie Come Home" with Roddy McDowell, are also excellent.

Wow...it is really hard to think of movies without some aspect of either!  What about "bad guys" dying?  I was thinking about The Incredibles.  I can't remember if the bad guy actually dies.  Any amount of "romance" is just Mr. and Mrs. incredible and they're already married? Unless i am forgetting something.

My kids like Turbo, Kung Fu Panda, and Madagascar (and sequels) a lot...I don't remember a lot of romance (except maybe a little bit of silly romance...not main story kind of romance) or major character death in either of those movies (maybe bad guys/minor characters die?)...but I have to admit sometimes I am not paying close attention to what is going on in movies like that as they aren't really my style.

The Boxcar Children (no one dies in the movie, but it starts off with the children's parents dead - DS didn't find it upsetting at all)

The Gruffalo and the Gruffalo's child (on Netflix and DH and I enjoy these too!)

Room on the Broom - same author as the Gruffalo. 

Curious George

Toy Story movies

Paddington?

Mouse and the Motorcycle

Turbo