Menu

taxi colour poll

Eagle

What colour are taxis where you live?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What colour are taxis where you live?

• Red
    • Orange
    • Yellow
    • Green
    • Blue
    • Purple
    • Black
    • White
    • Brown
    • Other

Ds was wondering today if there are any white, black, purple or red taxis in other places since we don't have those in our city. He suggested I ask here because "they know everything" (yes, I've been talking about all of you).

We have yellow, orange, green, and blue taxis. What colours do you have? (and what country if you feel like sharing) We are in Canada.

There are different colors in different cities in Mexico.  Here in Guadalajara we have yellow cars with dark roofs and they usually have an outline of the Guadalajara Cathedral.

They're red with white stripes in Veracruz, yellow with white roofs in Puerto Vallarta, green with white roofs in Monterrey, and so much more.

In some rural areas of Mexico there aren't taxis, but there are pedicabs (see the first photo here).  

In Kyrgyzstan anything could be a taxi. Absolutely anything. 

• Like 1

But have you ever seen a purple one?

Purple cars are rare, in my experience.

Oooh.  Good question.  Now I'll have to pay attention to taxis.  They tend to be white, but just because these day's that's the only colour of most makes of car where there isn't a colour supplement on the price.

• Like 1

I just had a hilarious conversation with my teens about this recently. They maintained they had NEVER seen a taxi in our neighborhood; I see them daily. When we saw one when we were out together, they were shocked. Our local taxis are red and green, and those lazybones never read the wording on them, they simply assumed they were pizza delivery cars! Shameful!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

In Minneapolis, we have seen *all* of your colors plus pink but never purple.

Next time the boys ride past our local Somali Starbucks taxi hangout we will watch out for purple cabs...

It is sort of odd since one of the Vikings colors is purple...

• Like 2

I can attest to the fact that there are indeed purple, pink, sky blue, and lime green taxis traveling through London with all the traditional black version:) I know this painfully well because on our recent trip to London at Christmas we had occasion to use the taxi queue at London/King's Cross throughout the trip. Embarrassingly enough, I am sure we reinforced several American stereotypes because my 5 yo insisted that we travel in one of every color😊

If you have ever been in a taxi queue in the UK you will understand how painful this was...a couple of times we just had to send groups behind us in line ahead so that we could hit it just right. It was REALLY important to the kid, but even then we had to draw the line after we did it for pink and purple! Ridiculous.

And it is STILL one of her favorite stories about London: 'Remember when we got to ride in the purple taxi? And I didn't have to sit in a car seat? And the car drove fast and crazy?!"

ETA: it was a sort of lilac purple and a Pepto Bismol pink:)

• Like 3

In NYC, taxis (which you hail from the street) are yellow, although we now have some bright green ones that are supposed to be more eco-friendly.

Car service (which you call up) might be any color, though they're usually marked with the cab company's name.

Gypsy cabs (which hang around places like the supermarket to pick up rides) are unlicensed and unlawful, though people generally turn a blind eye to that. They also might be any color.

Dollar vans (which follow predictable routes, frequently the same as bus routes, and don't always cost a dollar anymore) are, at least in my part of the city, generally white.

• Like 1

Seattle. Main companies are orange, yellow, or white. However we have other car services that operate similarly to, but not exactly like, taxis.

I am not counting bike cabs. I hope my kids never see a purple bike cab. I really don't want to argue about paying for that!

• Like 1

Seattle. Main companies are orange, yellow, or white. However we have other car services that operate similarly to, but not exactly like, taxis.

I am not counting bike cabs. I hope my kids never see a purple bike cab. I really don't want to argue about paying for that!

Circa 2008, we often saw a cab(s?) in that gray area between gypsy cabs and car services in Fremont that was/were purple and green striped.

All this taxi talk makes me miss the old checkered cabs. It was a real treat as a kid to get to sit on the little fold up seats.

I have never seen a purple taxi. Where I live now they are usually yellow or green. Sometimes brown and white.

In Minneapolis, we have seen *all* of your colors plus pink but never purple.

Next time the boys ride past our local Somali Starbucks taxi hangout we will watch out for purple cabs...

It is sort of odd since one of the Vikings colors is purple...

Thanks! They're not my colors though. I'm not the OP. I was just curious. Seems plenty of places do though. :)

In this part of Scotland, taxis can be any colour.  They mostly just look like cars with a Taxi sign on top.

It is the same here but mostly they are dark colours. The local company has a white minivan taxi though if that counts.

And in Edinburgh they were the black cab shape but many had other colours than black.

Most are white or yellow. Not your typical big city taxis though. Usually just a car someone sticks an advertisement on . We're in a very small town. 

We do have one pink van taxi. It is pink for breast cancer awareness. There's a huge ribbon on the hood. 

In Costa Rica, they are always bright red.  The little rate machine (or whatever it's called) on the dash is called the "maria."  So when you get into a taxi, you might have to remind the driver to turn the "maria" on, so they don't overcharge you.

• Like 2

I voted other because I live in the Dallas area.  Yellow used to be the most common but then years ago the owner of a big taxi company "Yellow Checker" cab was exposed as a slimeball felon.  So, those who've lived in the area awhile avoid Yellow Checker, and that sometimes spills over into any yellow cab.  Which means a variety of colors are acceptable.  

London has black taxis as public taxis, though most were covered in ads the last time I spent time there but were the same public taxi shape. There were some bright pink and purple taxis spotted on that trip because of the ads on those taxis during out last trip. 

We used to have a mix of black and yellow for public taxis (the ones that line up in taxi ranks or can be hailed from the road - private taxis which are just normal cars with signs must by law be called in advanced here) here (East Midlands, England) but they all seem to be yellow now. I have been in a black van taxi and purpley red private car cab. My favourite was a black van taxi that had little lights in the ceiling that entertained the kids all the way home. I found out afterwards from my partner (who is a night manager at a hotel so calls and deals with taxis a lot) that that one is locally well known and several other people there new of it but neither of us had heard of it before then.