Menu

Different to or Different from or Different than?

Amira

I have never thought Different "to" sounded right. When I speak its 'different from' and/or 'different than' but I couldn't tell you under the circumstances, just whichever one seems 'right'.

Without being a grammar guru, I would say 'different to', as used in the example, is wrong.

• Like 3

I tend to use only different from

From Oxford dictionary

"In practice, different from is by far the most common of the three, in both British and American English:

Different than is mainly used in American English:

Different to is much more common in British English than American English"

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever heard anyone use "different to".  That actually sounds like an oxymoron to me, as "different" separates, and "to" joins.  

I use either from or than, depending on the context.  I'm not sure how I would differentiate to explain.  Like others have said, one just sounds better in some sentences, and the other sounds better in others.

• Like 1

Different than jumps into my head if I think about a casual conversation with my daughter.

If I am thinking about a more professional conversation or one where I am being more specific, like a math class, then I would use different from.

Hmmmm. I never realized I used one form over the other in different situations.

All of the above.

I think I use "different than" more in conversation, though. "Different to" only in writing, and occasionally.

Aha. This explains it:

https://stancarey.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/different-from-different-than-different-to/

Exactly. I read the British papers and British literature for my field, but speak almost totally with Americans, Canadians, and other North Americans or expats. This graph explains my use of prepositions with "different" exactly.

I am a descriptivist, not prescriptivist. It is my job to tell my kids what will be clear and what will make them look literate, not what's right and wrong in grammar. Language is the human song and it is allowed to change and evolve.

• Like 4

I am a descriptivist, not prescriptivist. It is my job to tell my kids what will be clear and what will make them look literate, not what's right and wrong in grammar. Language is the human song and it is allowed to change and evolve.

This exactly!

It is very odd to me that some people will declare commonly used and understood formations to be grammatically incorrect--as if grammar were some stagnant, unchangeable thing with rules set in stone.

I wonder what speakers of Old English would think of our modern rules of grammar? There have been a few changes over the years...

• Like 3

I usually say different from when I'm referring to objects: these shoes are different from, this museum is different from, etc.

However, in your last example, "this ice cream tastes different than" sounds right. I think it's because of the grammatical structure of the sentence. It seems that "different" actually is an adverb modifying "tastes" rather than an adjective modifying "ice cream." In that case, it technically should be "this ice cream tastes differently than that ice cream (tastes)." I wouldn't actually use the word "differently" instead of "different," as that would sound too formal to me. But I do naturally change "from" to "than" when using that kind of grammatical structure.

Eta: I would say "this ice cream is different from that ice cream," but it tastes different than that ice cream.

I think the BBC uses "different to" -- or at least quotes people saying that without correction.

I've always used "from".  Consciously.  "Than" is something I'd use in a sentence like "my ice cream is sweeter than yours" so I can see it creeping in to "different than" without my realizing.

This is cracking me up--There's a Polident commercial where the spokesperson says, "Dentures are different to real teeth!"

Drives.me.nuts.

I actually yell at the TV.

Now I see it's an option.

Who knew? :laugh:

(Oh, wait--I need a smilie with teeth... :lol:  There we go.)

• Like 1