Menu

Here is the carp I'm dealing with--YE people, look here

Moxie

Wait.  You don't believe that there were dinosaurs?

Ha! That's fabulous. I believe in dinosaurs. And natural selection. And a round Earth. Not always gravity though. That ones a little tricky.

I love that you got that from my post though. I meant other YECers (like me) who don't believe in dinosaurs (unlike me).

Ha! That's fabulous. I believe in dinosaurs. And natural selection. And a round Earth. Not always gravity though. That ones a little tricky.

I love that you got that from my post though. I meant other YECers (like me) who don't believe in dinosaurs (unlike me).

Ok, I gotcha now.  Are there honestly people who don't believe dinosaurs existed?

• Like 2

Ok, I gotcha now. Are there honestly people who don't believe dinosaurs existed?

Oooh! I know the answer!

Yes.

People are funny, though.

• Like 1

I believe several Popes have contradicted the Bible on numerous occasions. PM me if you'd like to chat. ;)

I am so upset by this.  I would reply in detail but but I'll just say, broadside insult plus winky grin is not something I would do.  I think it contradicts the Bible, honestly.

• Like 15

Wow. I had no idea.

Check out the like Chocolate Rein posted Christians Against Dinosaurs. P.s. Don't actively drink a beverage as you read.

• Like 3

I have to say, that is the happiest dinosaur I have ever seen.

Well sure*. I mean he is a happy herbivore who, dispite crazy short arms, has figured out how to munch on some of the sweetest fruit ever. Then the humans screw it up for him and he is forced to give up sweet melon. There is a reason he was a cranky carnivore.

*point of order- Barney is history's happiest dinosaur. He is not officially recognized as such, however, because of his suspected drug use and super creepy tendency to pretend he was not extinct.

• Like 7

I am so upset by this.  I would reply in detail but but I'll just say, broadside insult plus winky grin is not something I would do.  I think it contradicts the Bible, honestly.

I wasn't trying to be offensive, just clear about my opinion. This is a huge deal to me and much of what I was referencing is a salvation issue, so it really speaks to my heart. In absolutely no way did I mean it as an insult. I'm sorry.

I want to know if he brought the fish inside.  Because if not, I can't see how a fresh water fish would have survived the saltwater inundation, or vice versa.

No, silly, it isn't that there weren't any dinosaurs, it's that they didn't fit on the ark.  As presented in the 2015 Creation Superconference, blurb below ( this is copied right from their email):

montage.jpg

Poor T-Rex just didn't fit. 

Though that makes me wonder - did God not like the dinosaurs that he didn't have Noah make the ark big enough?  Or why couldn't Noah have just brought baby dinosaurs?  For that matter, what did happen to all the many, many species of smaller dinosaurs?  They would have fit on the ark just fine...

(And now I'm curious where the Aliens topic comes in to this conference... just noticed that...)

• Like 1

You are so very much, by far and to the extreme, yelling at the wrong people. Nobody here has done this to your children. Even if there are YE people here who would actually treat kids that way, whatever they believe, they didn't do it to your kids. You did. I'm not saying that you directly did it, but you put your kids in the line of fire.

Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself why homeschool socialization for your kids is so very important to you that you would subject them to all of this, and then come take it out on us. Who do your kids take it out on? How do they process it?

You know what the homeschool groups are like, yet you keep going. You leave your children in that conflicting and abusive environment. For the life of me, Moxie, I can't understand why.

If you have to go solo as a hs'er in your community, rather than allow your children to receive those inappropriate messages from people you don't even trust, you will not be the first. If we ran a poll you'd see how many of us don't participate in homeschool groups at all. (raises hand)

If you have to put your kids in school because you can't fill the socialization and activity gaps through non-homeschool stuff like YMCA, rec league sports, Civil Air Patrol, whatever, sadly, you won't be the first to make that decision, either.

<3

Doesn't it make you wonder who is persuaded? It has to be fruitful or they wouldn't waste their money, right? Like whomever buys that Card Service's chippy's automated phone spiel has screwed the rest of us.

Yes! If I ever find out who it was, they are DEAD! :smash:

Because they are a *large* fruit. It wouldn't have the same impact with a plum, now would it? ;-)

Plus the plum wouldn't require the big teeth.

Now I have this mental mashup of a T-Rex with a plum and this poem:

Captain Hook

Captain Hook must remember

Not to scratch his toes.

Captain Hook must watch out

And never pick his nose.

Captain Hook must be gentle

When he shakes your hand.

Captain Hook must be carful

Openin’ sardine cans

And playing tag and pouring tea

And turin’ pages of his book.

Lots of folks I’m glad I ain’t—

But mostly Captain Hook!

~Shel Silverstein

• Like 1

Ok, I gotcha now. Are there honestly people who don't believe dinosaurs existed?

As an aside: one of the first birthday presents my son recieved was from his godfather. His godfather wrote a little note in the card saying that as his first bit of godfatherly guidance he would like to let me son know to avoid any and all religious traditions that do not allow for the existence of dinosaurs. It was a dinosaur shirt as the present or something.

• Like 4

No, silly, it isn't that there weren't any dinosaurs, it's that they didn't fit on the ark.  As presented in the 2015 Creation Superconference, blurb below ( this is copied right from their email):

montage.jpg

Though that makes me wonder - did God not like the dinosaurs that he didn't have Noah make the ark big enough?  Or why couldn't Noah have just brought baby dinosaurs?  For that matter, what did happen to all the many, many species of smaller dinosaurs?  They would have fit on the ark just fine...

(And now I'm curious where the Aliens topic comes in to this conference... just noticed that...)

Ken Ham claims they were on the Ark.  His belief is that they bigger species would have been babies, and that there wouldn't have been many species because the different species are all due to microevolution.  How the dinos managed to microevolve into that many species and also still go extinct apparently isn't a concern.  He also doesn't have a great explanation as to how such large and potentially dangerous creatures only get two obscure references in the Bible and none anywhere else.

Of course, that shouldn't be a surprise as Ham is a mouth-breathing buffoon.

• Like 9

Ken Ham claims they were on the Ark.  His belief is that they bigger species would have been babies, and that there wouldn't have been many species because the different species are all due to microevolution.  How the dinos managed to microevolve into that many species and also still go extinct apparently isn't a concern.  He also doesn't have a great explanation as to how such large and potentially dangerous creatures only get two obscure references in the Bible and none anywhere else.

Of course, that shouldn't be a surprise as Ham is a mouth-breathing buffoon.

So here's what just happened to me.

We all have serious head colds at my house, I've been up since o'dark-thirty and am seriously sleep-deprived yet sitting here surfing WTM while watching 1960s sitcoms on Netflix, right?

And then I check back on this thread to see if anybody liked my zombie emoticons (waves at texasmama), notice the flyer for AiG that mentions ALIENS, start daydreaming about what Ken Ham might possibly have to say about aliens from a "biblical perspective," and then I read your post.

2 plus 2 makes 5 in my addled brain. I thought you were saying that Ken Ham says that aliens were on Noah's Ark.

:cheers2:

• Like 9

This is just not helpful. So she is not allowed to be sad and to vent about not finding her tribe? So, she cannot wish for a 3rd option?

Although my kids and I have experienced the bullying Moxie describes, I have been fortunate to have alternatives. Sending my older kids to school was not an option (for medical and social reasons.) We tried many activities with "public school" kids and my kids were not welcome there. Since they didn't go to the same school and were not into the latest pop culture craze, they were ignored. If we didn't have our non-sectarian homeschool group that had homeschoolers of all flavors, from unschoolers to classical homeschoolers, from eclectic homeschoolers to school-in-a-box homeschoolers. If I had not found my tribe, life would have been very lonely and I would have been in a similar bind.

She's not asking about a third option.

She is asking YE creationists to change their behavior so she need not seek out a third option.

I've suggested a third, fourth and fifth option. Just having someone else create a small group precisely meeting your needs, which provides a wide variety of services, that align broadly with your basic values and beliefs, which is not a long drive--sorry. That is not an option for most of us.

ETA: I am sorry your kids have faced that. My public-schooled kids regularly experience rejection--and then find new friends. One thing I do see on these boards is EXTREMELY high expectations for social groups. I mean, it is possible that the other children literally took a look at your kids and walked away without a word in every single public school group you were in, but I don't think that's what you mean. It is possible that every child you have met from public school was so incredibly rude as not to accept reaching out but instead didn't talk to your kids and literally ignored them.

"Hi, I'm Sarah." Other kid walks away. I believe it's possible, though I've never seen it.

What I suspect is that when you're in different environment, it takes a lot of effort to make new friends and people are also shy so your kids feel ignored because in a big group where others have friends, it takes a long time to break in. Like, months or more.

My kids are social but the older one has been in 4 schools (she's eight) and about 15 summer camps. The little one has been to two schools, been the linguistic minority in both, and has been to 10 summer camps. I tell them they have to make their tribe. NO not everyone will like you. NO you might not meet your BFF. Be nice. Be kind. Help others. I'm here for you. Reach out and stand up for yourself and things will get better. They have experienced teasing and overcome it. They have teased and been reprimanded. They are resilient and they know that friendship takes work--not days, but months of days on end.

I get wanting friends. I get wanting to have a group where you can relax and be yourself. We don't have that. Most people don't. That, to me, is a special kind of friendship, once in a lifetime. If you get it, great.

You found a great group of eclectic homeschoolers and that is great.

But it is an unrealistic expectation to want others to change for you (not saying you are asking this, but Moxie did). They're not going to change.

I also think that when you know you have only one option, you make it work. My kids need more than one teacher, and I need more than my kids for a job, so school it is. Did it take time to make friends? Yes. How long? Months, even years, to really get semi-close. DSD really only found close friends in middle school. It's hard. But we made it work and we are still reaching out and meeting new people, you know?

So, that's why I don't really understand this complaint. These people are putting in SO MUCH EFFORT to make a group that works for them. I mean running these co-ops--honestly, I can't even imagine the work that goes into it. Moxie could do that, but chooses not to. There are a good four groups she could join, not including her own:

--Public school

--This group

--Catholic school

--Secular options which are further away / more expensive

And then she could start her own. Put in the footwork, run the Facebook page or Google groups, write up the curriculum, do the fundraising from the church, etc. etc. But she's not willing to. I get that because I'm not willing to either. :)

But here's the difference: I'm not complaining about what I get and I never have. We make it work. Whatever group we are in, and no, none of them have been perfect, we work to make it work, to help build the community. Is it perfect? No, I do think that I'm quite the city girl and I have a hard time here in suburbia at times. I mean I won't harp on the numerous ways in which we feel we don't fit in because that is not the point. The point is, most of us struggle to find the perfect group, but when someone else is putting in hard work--at the Y, in scouts, in soccer, in homeschool co-op, in the PTSA, and so on, we don't complain even if it's done totally different than how we'd have done it, because they're putting in the work.

I know you are a very experienced mom and I'm not trying to talk down to you. This is not a case of Moxie saying, "Ugh, I'm so disappointed because we are not finding our tribe."

She's literally telling YE creationists what to do. If this was a thread about "It's so hard for us mainstream Christians to find other mainstream Christians, even though I've put in all this work to start a group" my feelings are TOTALLY different.

• Like 5

I'm still in these groups (more than one group) because my kids want to be there. They don't want to hang out at home all day. And, my kids are awesome so people call to hang out with them. What should I say to my children when Susie invites them to the Awana bring-a-friend night??

You could just graciously say: "We love to come," knowing what Awana is or just as graciously reply you cannot go for whatever reason. I don't see where the problem is. Children will have friends who are not of the same ilk - spiritually speaking - this does not negate their friendship. Your children either know what they believe or are still forming their concepts, either way, they will always encounter people of different opinions, professionally, spiritually and otherwise.

• Like 4

We are part of a homeschool group that is Christian, as in members believe Jesus is the Son of God.  Our group has Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Baptists, Pentecostals, and a wide variety of non-denominational church attenders.  Occasionally there are difficulties because of the differences of religious opinion, but most of the time everything goes smoothly because we are there for a shared purpose.  People have to decide not to be offended by differences of opinion or belief, and the instructors have to remember that any religious focus is on Christ who unites us, not on doctrine or practices that divide us.  I know our group is rare, but it's good.  I hope you are able to find a group that meets your needs, too, regardless of the religious beliefs of the other members.

• Like 3

montage.jpg

Oh. Em. Gee. 

Good thing I was almost done with my tea, so my poor monitor isn't lost.  :lol: That there is comedy gold. 

• Like 6

That should be brought to the groups attention. However, when I think "Christian" I do not think Catholic at all. There are so many massive doctrinal differences. When I hear Christian I think non-denominational/baptist type people. Maybe it's a regional thing. I would assume that a Christian group would take the Bible literally while a Methodist group would do what Methodists do and a Catholic group would do what Catholics do.

Eta: I don't mean the word in general, but with a group. If someone told me they were the head of a Christian singing group I would assume it wasn't Catholic.

I have this perception as well, and we are not religious in the slightest (though we have respect for religion and the positive role it has played in societies for millennia)

Here in the midwest, my (possibly incorrect) perception is that Catholics self-describe as Catholics, and protestants, esp. fundamentalist ones, self-describe as Christians.

You could just graciously say: "We love to come," knowing what Awana is or just as graciously reply you cannot go for whatever reason. I don't see where the problem is. Children will have friends who are not of the same ilk - spiritually speaking - this does not negate their friendship. Your children either know what they believe or are still forming their concepts, either way, they will always encounter people of different opinions, professionally, spiritually and otherwise.

I have to agree - here is the thing: unless you think that one session (or two, or three) of exposure to a philosophy you expressly disagree with on technical if not moral terms will turn your child into something you don't recognize, it is probably okay for them to be exposed to it every now and again.

As a child I was raised without religion.  My parents weren't atheists - Dad was a bitter ex-Baptist who thought religion was an unnecessary middle man between him and Jesus/God, and mom told me in 5th grade that we were pagans (what she meant was that she liked Jung, and the I Ching, and believed literally in the Nativity, etc.)  I lived in the bible belt from 5th grade on, though, so I went to a lot of churches, and to a Reform temple with my (converted for marriage) grandmother.

These exposures gave me ideas, but they didn't overtake the essential spirituality-without-religion base that my parents had given me.  My sister did become a Christian for a while, and would probably still self-describe as such, but was never super strict about it.

It was somewhat stressful to be constantly an outsider at religious observances, but it was good practice for school/life, where I am not, and never was, "normal."

But I should add: if the Awanas club or the church service or whatever is promoting something you find essentially morally incorrect and you don't think your DC is mature enough to resist/reject the morally incorrect ideas, I can see how you'd want to avoid it.

For instance, I'd never send my 6 year old to a club/school/service likely to tell him he was going to hell since he wasn't baptized, or anything like that.

So here's what just happened to me.

We all have serious head colds at my house, I've been up since o'dark-thirty and am seriously sleep-deprived yet sitting here surfing WTM while watching 1960s sitcoms on Netflix, right?

And then I check back on this thread to see if anybody liked my zombie emoticons (waves at texasmama), notice the flyer for AiG that mentions ALIENS, start daydreaming about what Ken Ham might possibly have to say about aliens from a "biblical perspective," and then I read your post.

2 plus 2 makes 5 in my addled brain. I thought you were saying that Ken Ham says that aliens were on Noah's Ark.

:cheers2:

I have terrible news for you.

Ken Ham does have a position on aliens.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/22/ken-ham-aliens-go-to-hell_n_5608368.html

• Like 5

This thread should really be renamed  "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here."

<insert whatever emoticon you think appropriate>

I picked the wrong thread to want a contest/prize for picking how many pages it would last.  Darn.   :banghead:

• Like 2

Except look at the title of the thread, then read the post directed at YECs on this board who have little to nothing to do with her problem. She was ranting at people who can do nothing to change her situation, and further, she wasn't just venting or wishing...at least that's not how I read the first post. It would be one thing to vent and say, "this sucks because we don't fit in with this group and I don't have anywhere else to send my kids" but that's not what the post was about.

And bullying? Really? She sends her kids to a Protestant group that espouses YEC and she knows this is the case, further, her DC handles himself completely appropriately when asked a question about it, and it's considered bullying? If this is bullying (which it isn't), she fully set her kid up for it. IEW is a Protestant writing curriculum. I believe Andrew Pudewa is at the very least a creationist, if not YEC. Seriously, what the OP describes is not bullying in any way, shape or form. It's not even really bait'n'switch if she's been attending for 9 years and knows exactly how these things go down among this group.

Being in a bind because you don't fit in well in a certain area is tough. It sucks. But it has very little to do with the group that you do opt to send your kids to when you know their beliefs don't align with yours. It's not the fault of the group, and it's really not the fault of every person on the WTM forum who might also align with those beliefs.

I was under the impression that Andrew Pudewa is not Protestant. I can't remember where I saw that. I think, but am not sure, that he is Catholic.

I have terrible news for you.

Ken Ham does have a position on aliens.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/22/ken-ham-aliens-go-to-hell_n_5608368.html

Wow. I had no idea. And I'm surprised at how much that article saddened me. (Did not know I love hypothetical aliens. Huh.)

It's just that, as a Christian, I've always thought the God of the universe could create any world he wants, but his attributes would be the same -- he wouldn't be willing for any to perish, he'd always make a way for reconciliation between himself and his creation -- I had always thought that if there were other worlds any arrangement between them and God was their own business and somehow OK. I've even thought God might have found it restful to have also created worlds that have no deep spiritual involvement with him but operate on a different plane entirely...All these conjectures might sound a little childish, especially to those who don't believe in a creator God in the first place... but I don't care.

Angels aren't Adam's descendants, didn't bear the guilt of the fall, aren't in hell. So why aliens have to be the trash of the universe and automatically relegated to hell, I don't know. It really makes me sad. Now we can't even wonder about aliens without there being an AiG conclusion. ANNOYING.

• Like 17

As an aside: one of the first birthday presents my son recieved was from his godfather. His godfather wrote a little note in the card saying that as his first bit of godfatherly guidance he would like to let me son know to avoid any and all religious traditions that do not allow for the existence of dinosaurs. It was a dinosaur shirt as the present or something.

That's great!

I hadn't thought of it, but it might be. As a teacher, I'd be ok with that, though. I want kids at this age to start engaging with ideas and wrestling with controversy. Not to be rude or mean, but to work their brain.

It's not baiting to write about one's passion. If the kid wanted a fight, he wouldn't have shut down the conversation about the age of the earth.

I know this country is ridiculously obsessed with polarizing everyone and everything into "us vs them" but it's just petty to blame the kid for a teacher's ignorance regarding when dinosaurs lived.

• Like 9

Wow. I had no idea. And I'm surprised at how much that article saddened me. (Did not know I love hypothetical aliens. Huh.)

It's just that, as a Christian, I've always thought the God of the universe could create any world he wants, but his attributes would be the same -- he wouldn't be willing for any to perish, he'd always make a way for reconciliation between himself and his creation -- I had always thought that if there were other worlds any arrangement between them and God was their own business and somehow OK. I've even thought God might have found it restful to have also created worlds that have no deep spiritual involvement with him but operate on a different plane entirely...All these conjectures might sound a little childish, especially to those who don't believe in a creator God in the first place... but I don't care.

Angels aren't Adam's descendants, didn't bear the guilt of the fall, aren't in hell. So why aliens have to be the trash of the universe and automatically relegated to hell, I don't know. It really makes me sad. Now we can't even wonder about aliens without there being an AiG conclusion. ANNOYING.

It is sad. He really believes that God could have created beings who are ineligible for going to heaven. That would be a very cruel diety. I wonder what he thinks happens if an alien says The Sinner's Prayer??

DS and I took an apologetics class together. I had no idea that some Christians believe that only Christians go to heaven. I find that equally sad.

• Like 1

I opened this thread because you specifically asked me to in the title, only to be met with a severe chewing out.

Not cool. Last I checked, I've never said word one to your kids.

While I understand the OP's frustration (as many of you do), as this forum's owner and moderator, I have to agree with this.  "Fussing" at forum members is inappropriate and doesn't acknowledge the diversity of points of view on this board. I think the frustration could have been expressed in a more appropriate way.

Having said that, I'm really please (can I say "proud"?) that the thread hasn't really disintegrated. Thanks.

And having said that, it seems to have served its purpose, so I'm closing it. Courteous spin-offs are OK.

SWB