Menu

Here is the carp I'm dealing with--YE people, look here

Moxie

Probably most of the people in my co-op are YE, and many would probably be surprised to learn that I am not. I like the fact that it doesn't come up--IMO that's how it should be.

Why can't the culture of the group, and what is discussed, be whatever the group wants it to be?  Why should any group be a certain way?  If a group wants to have a YEC bent to all of its meetings, why shouldn't they?  Should every group be all things to all people?

• Like 2

Please note that there are many YECers out there that love Science and do not like Ken Ham.

And some of us love science AND Ken and Mally. I know, right?

I can't even.

For full disclosure, I am definitely a creationist. I believe that 'in the beginning God.' But I've never done the leg work (or mental gymnastics) to carry a faith-based response out to this extent. It's a hell of a syllogism.

And now you've ruined my whole weekend because I'm going to have to research AiG and the creation museum finally, to see what else my state hs'ing org is promoting to hs'ers. (They love it. Ken Ham -- ooops, I was the one who named him -- is featured at our state convention!!) I didn't really want to know but now I have to.

I believe you and I live in the same state. I wrote an email explaining why I won't attend this year. I need to edit it a bit and finally hit send.

• Like 1

I believe you and I live in the same state. I wrote an email explaining why I won't attend this year. I need to edit it a bit and finally hit send.

Oh, I didn't realize! (waves at Moxie)

If you are anywhere near the central part of the state and want to chat about resources, please feel free to pm me.

Oh, I didn't realize! (waves at Moxie)

If you are anywhere near the central part of the state and want to chat about resources, please feel free to pm me.

Sadly, not close. Several hours to the south. Much better weather down here so I shouldn't complain (but I will!).

That should be brought to the groups attention. However, when I think "Christian" I do not think Catholic at all. There are so many massive doctrinal differences. When I hear Christian I think non-denominational/baptist type people. Maybe it's a regional thing. I would assume that a Christian group would take the Bible literally while a Methodist group would do what Methodists do and a Catholic group would do what Catholics do.

Eta: I don't mean the word in general, but with a group. If someone told me they were the head of a Christian singing group I would assume it wasn't Catholic.

Why? Catholics are just as much a Christian as Baptists, Lutherans and other Protestant denominations. And Methodists are Christians too.... A METHODIST group IS A CHRISTIAN GROUP. A CATHOLIC group is A CHRISTIAN group.

• Like 3

I don't know, this doesn't seem like a sufficient explanation to me. Shouldn't the focus of church and the Chriastian walk be on growing more like Christ, and not on "this is where we disagree with other Christians"?

That's a very valid question. In my opinion, it depends on the context.

Apologetics and systematic theology are incredibly important. Crucial. And yet the differences between, say, Presbytarians and Baptists are there and quite insignificant. In many things, like political action, art class, history - the differences between Catholics and LDS or Protestants and Agnostics wouldn't matter one bit, because it isn't a religious topic. There could be points where it would come up, say in studying iconoclasm or religion and political intersections in Nazi Germany, but for the most part these things can be dealt with uncontentiously regardless of worldview.

Germ theory? Probably safe. Taxonomy? Worldview differences will come up. Church discipline? You better believe congregational vs elder lead will make huge differences in how people discuss this, and even more so when you get into the papacy or temple practices. We just finished reading "The Other Side of the Sun" in our co op's high school writing class. Both L'Engle's Christian mysticism AND the individual world views of each writing student very much matter in the composition of their papers and how they respond to that book.

It isn't so cut and dry. Sometimes there is a time and place for parsing out differences and sometimes those differences never, ever come up nor do they need to. But even in a secular homeschooling environment we can't expect each child or adult to leave their framing morality at the door. There are good bad bad ways to approach that, however, and that may be where you have some leverage to help things in your children's co op experiences or in creating one, yourself.

Why can't the culture of the group, and what is discussed, be whatever the group wants it to be?  Why should any group be a certain way?  If a group wants to have a YEC bent to all of its meetings, why shouldn't they?  Should every group be all things to all people?

No group will appeal to all. However, groups who do operate with YEC should be up front about that with a statement of faith and a statement of science viewpoint. They should not just use the term Christian and expect everyone in the area to be YEC because of that term. I've run into that, the only group in town being not only Christian and having a SOF but also have a disclosure that science taught is YEC. I was one but not the other, so I knew the group was not for us. 

But in some areas the science viewpoint is not stated and only assumed. I've also run into that. 

• Like 4

Here you go. I love this picture

This picture is one of my all time favorites.

Of course I will now spend all afternoon thinking about the t-Rex in Meet the Robinsons...

"Bowler Hat Guy: What's going on? Why aren't you seizing the boy?!

Dinosaur: [in dinosaur language] I have a big head, and little arms! I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through."

• Like 9

Why? Catholics are just as much a Christian as Baptists, Lutherans and other Protestant denominations.

Like Hornblower said, it's a regional thing. Around here when someone says Christian they mean not Catholic. I've even attended events that are for "Christians and Catholics" because if it just said Christians then Catholics wouldn't come.

I don't mind them leaving the material so much, because I figure if they believe it's correct then they are acting on their conscience to share it with me, and I respect that, and even appreciate that they just leave the material and are trying to be non-confrontational. What I don't get is them thinking that a comic strip is going to change my mind. I also feel that way about the comic booklets that they give you at the DRs office about vaccines, or whatever. Whatever I think of an issue, I'm not going to be swayed, or probably even read, something made to appeal to a 6 year old.

Doesn't it make you wonder who is persuaded? It has to be fruitful or they wouldn't waste their money, right? Like whomever buys that Card Service's chippy's automated phone spiel has screwed the rest of us.

For the record, about the original post,  I think the teacher handled it badly and the kid handled it in a very mature, tactful way.  Good parenting, Moxie!  That's one great kid.

When the kid hands in a comparison/contrast paper (I'm assuming that's what it was or something like that) on two different kind of dinosaurs, you don't change the assignment into a persuasive paper making him justify his OE views, which is what her response, "How can that be?..." does.

• Like 6

I feel for the OP. We have no local homeschool groups that are a good fit for Christians who are not of a specific flavor.

(Read that as Harry Potter is the gateway to practicing witchcraft.)

Even the groups that are not that way at the organizational level have so many members locally that are that it is just not worth it for our family.

We have had to make connections outside the homeschool community. It has been difficult and I'm not sure I would say sucessful. Library programs, involvement at our church, and spending time with one or two other homeschooling families who are good friends to our family seems to work for us at this time.

Eta- the best situation we had was a super inclusive play group that formed when our oldest kids were pre-k. But over the years people have moved away, older children have returned to brick and mortar schools, and we no longer have children the age for a play group.

• Like 2

Actually, I think you're being unfair. If he was trying to bait the teacher, then why would he immediately shut down the conversation when it headed in that direction? He wrote a paper comparing two dinosaurs (are YEC kids not allowed to learn about dinosaurs?). The teacher asked him what time period they lived in, and then wanted to "correct" his answer. If anyone was baiting it was the instructor.

Furthermore, did he *know* the class to be YE? I thought the whole point of this thread was that the OP was frustrated with finding out that these things are YE only after they've signed up and started.

OP said her son has been "defending" against YE for 9 years - presumably (although I'm not sure OP ever specifically said) with this particular group.  OP did say: "Homeschooling is huge in the Protestant community here and so is YE creationism.  All our activities are held at Protestant churches and run by Protestants; there are literally no other options."  So, it isn't clear whether every provider of homeschooling activities in her area is YE, but it sounds like this isn't their first rodeo.

Also, presumably, OP knew what her son's paper topic was, and could have had him choose something less incendiary. 

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I would have been much more sympathetic to the original post if it had been just a vent about her frustrating situation.  Instead, she took the scorched-earth approach by applying what she sees as one person's or one small group's bad behavior to the entire group of all people, particularly on this board, who share that one belief.  It just seemed to me like OP was picking a fight, but instead of fighting with the actual people she thinks wronged her, she picked it with a bunch of people she doesn't have to look in the eye while she pokes them.

• Like 5

OP said her son has been "defending" against YE for 9 years - presumably (although I'm not sure OP ever specifically said) with this particular group. OP did say: "Homeschooling is huge in the Protestant community here and so is YE creationism. All our activities are held at Protestant churches and run by Protestants; there are literally no other options." So, it isn't clear whether every provider of homeschooling activities in her area is YE, but it sounds like this isn't their first rodeo.

Also, presumably, OP knew what her son's paper topic was, and could have had him choose something less incendiary.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I would have been much more sympathetic to the original post if it had been just a vent about her frustrating situation. Instead, she took the scorched-earth approach by applying what she sees as one person's or one small group's bad behavior to the entire group of all people, particularly on this board, who share that one belief. It just seemed to me like OP was picking a fight, but instead of fighting with the actual people she thinks wronged her, she picked it with a bunch of people she doesn't have to look in the eye while she pokes them.

That was my issue as well. I like Moxie, and I'd have been a lot more amenable to just sympathizing, as a Christian, if there hadn't been a direct statement in both the title and content of the post that was lumping me in as a wrongdoer jusr by group association, when I actually feel strongly that such conduct is inappropriate, unnecessary, and that I wouldn't ever do that, myself, in a co op situation.

My goodwill evaporates with that approach.

And bullying?  Really?  She sends her kids to a Protestant group that espouses YEC and she knows this is the case, further, her DC handles himself completely appropriately when asked a question about it, and it's considered bullying?  If this is bullying (which it isn't), she fully set her kid up for it.  IEW is a Protestant writing curriculum.  I believe Andrew Pudewa is at the very least a creationist, if not YEC.  Seriously, what the OP describes is not bullying in any way, shape or form.  It's not even really bait'n'switch if she's been attending for 9 years and knows exactly how these things go down among this group.

Is it Protestant?  Andrew Pudewa is Catholic.  Although I'm not sure what this has to do with the OP's issue.

• Like 4

I don't understand why I should know about other protestants. I imagine they're all Christian. Why would there beliefs be relevant to me?

It's a part of understanding the world around you, as well as the people in it.

• Like 6

In my opinion, it depends on the context.

Apologetics and systematic theology are incredibly important. Crucial.

Sometimes there is a time and place for parsing out differences and sometimes those differences never, ever come up nor do they need to.

I certainly agree with this. My concern, and please forgive me because I know I'm getting very far from the topic of this thread, is that sometimes it seems that there is an unhealthy focus on the differences, and not enough recognition of common ground. I think it leads to divisiveness, and a failure to put our focus where it needs to be. It's far easier to look at our fellow man and all the flaws in his theology and pat ourselves on the back for being so much more clever, than it is to look at Christ and really see all the ways that we ourselves are falling short. I know because, unfortunately, I do it all the time!

• Like 6

In all fairness the dinosaur-eating-watermelon picture is from another publisher and not AIG. But do not dismay! AIG does provide this for your young child's enjoyment. https://answersingenesis.org/store/product/a-for-adam-coloring-book/?sku=10-1-138

You know I'd totally give them $3 for that book but I pause to think of the mailing lists I would be put on.

• Like 3

I certainly agree with this. My concern, and please forgive me because I know I'm getting very far from the topic of this thread, is that sometimes it seems that there is an unhealthy focus on the differences, and not enough recognition of common ground. I think it leads to divisiveness, and a failure to put our focus where it needs to be. It's far easier to look at our fellow man and all the flaws in his theology and pat ourselves on the back for being so much more clever, than it is to look at Christ and really see all the ways that we ourselves are falling short. I know because, unfortunately, I do it all the time!

It really does depend, and I think it's a good point to remember. Of course, I do absolutely discuss the timeline of creation with Christians because it affects the way one views the entirety of scripture. But that doesn't mean it's on a questionnaire if someone crosses the threshold of my house ;). So, too, with things like paedo- or credo-baptism. This must be recognized and understood. That doesn't mean it is divisive or a hill to die on. That very much depends on how it is discussed. . And these differences matter more as one increases in responsibility in the body - what makes a difference in a pastor or teacher matters very little in day to day interactions among the congregation. And so, too, with homeschooling - what might be brought up over lunch in a frank theological discourse would never come up at co op PE.

Wisdom, prudence, love of neighbor, and a fair bit of long suffering are crucial in these instances. Healthy, fervent, respectfully argued theological differences are GOOD. This should in no way impact fellowship, service, or worship with one another.

Walking that line is something each believer must do, daily, in accountability before God both in action and in the motives of their heart. Pride has no place.

/end off topic bunny trail with Gretalynne :)

OP said her son has been "defending" against YE for 9 years - presumably (although I'm not sure OP ever specifically said) with this particular group.

Oh, I may have misunderstood. I thought this was a new group.

Of course opinions will differ here, but I don't think they should have to do this. The adult instructor should have enough maturity to be able to tolerate topics that she disagrees with, and kids should be encouraged to write about topics that interest them. Really, I'm not one to make waves and I tend to avoid confrontation, but I wouldn't encourage my daughter to shy away from her interests in order to please adults who are that intolerant. Comparing two dinosaurs just doesn't seem like an incendiary topic to me, it seems like one that many kids would be interested in.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I would have been much more sympathetic to the original post if it had been just a vent about her frustrating situation. Instead, she took the scorched-earth approach by applying what she sees as one person's or one small group's bad behavior to the entire group of all people, particularly on this board, who share that one belief. It just seemed to me like OP was picking a fight, but instead of fighting with the actual people she thinks wronged her, she picked it with a bunch of people she doesn't have to look in the eye while she pokes them.

Yeah, I admit that I cringed at the way the OP was lumping the YECers on this board in with the ones who had upset her, even though I am sympathetic to her frustration of not finding a group that's a good fit. I just didn't think that her kid deserved to be accused of baiting. That didn't sound like what had happened at all to me.
  • Like 3

I'm still in these groups (more than one group) because my kids want to be there. They don't want to hang out at home all day. And, my kids are awesome so people call to hang out with them. What should I say to my children when Susie invites them to the Awana bring-a-friend night??

Moxie, I haven't been a part of the phone thread, and in some senses, I'm missing context, but you are touching on a really, really, important part of parenting, one I think is in greater need than ever.  Social media and pervasive media in general tend to magnify drama, discontent, victimization--all the antitheses of groundedness, perspective, and generosity of spirit toward our fellow human beings.

So teach your kids to seek peace, to live in "low gear," to turn away from drama.  Your boy already did that--good for him!  Very few things are worth a flap, or worth any thought to see if a red flag should be waved.  In general, if it is dangerous, or if it tramples human dignity--then it is worth speaking up about.  If ones' own beliefs/rights/tastes/looks are being ridiculed/demeaned/called into question, we all need to consider whether it is worth getting into a flap over.  In many contexts, I can choose to let people say and do all kinds of ridiculously narrow things without ever sacrificing my own dignity, and in most cases, without worrying that it will escalate. 

My kids have been going to community college and university now four seven years, and they see SO much, on a daily basis, of other students chronically allowing other people's behavior to twist their knickers into a bunch.  They've just concluded that ignoring most of the drama is their best bet.  I'm becoming that way with a co-worker who is always finding someone or something that ruffles her feathers.  She just cannot address anything with calm or equanimity. 

Your guy did this, Moxie!  How he came to do it, I don't exactly know, but it's well worth encouraging and using as a model for your dd.  Teaching them numerous variations on "I'm not going to engage," would so be worth it.  Even better, helping them find common ground would be the biggest gift you could give them, better even than finding a "like-minded" group.   

Is it possible that, like me, you'll have some learning to do in your own approach to people? If my mindset has been one of always seeing the difference or feeling beleaguered, I can help myself and my family by working on looking for the good and wonderful things in people, for planning ways to diffuse tension, and then seeing the change affect my own family in a wonderfully positive way. 

To address your Awana question, "Thank you, but I have other things I'll be doing."  Simple. No judgment. Direct and clearly stated.

• Like 10

All of this is reminding me of when people tell me they are looking for a Bible believing church.................... I don't know any that are NOT......... whether they are Catholic, non-denominational, Southern Baptist, Lutheran, Church of Christ, Free Will Baptist, American Baptist, Disciples of Christ, Methodist, etc......... they ALL are Bible believers!

• Like 7

Maybe they mean the Bible over anything else? If the Pope contradicted the Bible I would agree with the Bible, but the Catholic Church would agree with the Pope. I can see saying that the Catholic Church is not a Bible believing church in that sense. I'd be interested to ask someone what they meant by that.

The Pope won't contradict the Bible.

• Like 1

Oh, absolutely. Which is why I specified that I was talking about the states. This YEC thing is also, at least to a large degree, an American church phenomena.

Actually, the founder of AIG is Australian. When I lived in China and worked in a Christian International school in Guangzhou, my co workers were mostly YE. They were from America, New Zealand, India and Scotland. It may be more prevalent in American churches, but it definitely is found in other countries.

Maybe they mean the Bible over anything else? If the Pope contradicted the Bible I would agree with the Bible, but the Catholic Church would agree with the Pope. I can see saying that the Catholic Church is not a Bible believing church in that sense. I'd be interested to ask someone what they meant by that.

So, do you think Catholics worship the Pope?

• Like 2

Is it Protestant? Andrew Pudewa is Catholic. Although I'm not sure what this has to do with the OP's issue.

Oh, my bad, I thought I saw him lumped in with some heavy duty protestant types in the past on a speaking circuit or some such.

That'll teach me to trust my own memory!!

But, I was thinking it just wouldn't be that odd for an IEW class to have some sort of evangelical YECish slant based on what I thought knew of the authors.

Actually, the founder of AIG is Australian. When I lived in China and worked in a Christian International school in Guangzhou, my co workers were mostly YE. They were from America, New Zealand, India and Scotland. It may be more prevalent in American churches, but it definitely is found in other countries.

That has been my experience as well. Outside of Western Europe and the British Commonwealth it's pretty common in Christianity, and the only place it seems fought over is the US. There are reasons why Western Europe and the Commonwealth don't contend on this issue, but it is quite complex :). And off course there are variances on both sides of the issue.

Just an fyi, this is another one of those "inartful statements" that tend to derail the discussion.

• Like 6

Unless these particular YEs don't believe there were dinosaurs and have forbidden the topic. In which case it's even more important that children from the community do not attend their academic co-ops..

No, silly, it isn't that there weren't any dinosaurs, it's that they didn't fit on the ark.  As presented in the 2015 Creation Superconference, blurb below ( this is copied right from their email):

montage.jpg

Poor T-Rex just didn't fit. 

Though that makes me wonder - did God not like the dinosaurs that he didn't have Noah make the ark big enough?  Or why couldn't Noah have just brought baby dinosaurs?  For that matter, what did happen to all the many, many species of smaller dinosaurs?  They would have fit on the ark just fine...

(And now I'm curious where the Aliens topic comes in to this conference... just noticed that...)

• Like 9

Says the pagan:  around here, Christian means follower of Christ... be it Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, etc etc etc.  People generally don't talk about their religion but if it comes up and someone identifies as Christian, no assumptions are made as to what kind.  And most Protestants are pretty mainstream, old earth creationists.  We attended an inclusive co-op for a few years and classes with a religious bent were clearly identified as such.  Non-Christians simply chose different classes and there were lots of religious folks in the secular classes... it really wasn't a big deal at all.  I guess this might be a regional thing.

Moxie- I feel for you.  I agree with a pp that it seems like a bait and switch.  :-/

• Like 5

I hear ya. A neighbor's friend was very agitated by a St. Francis figure in our garden when she realized it wasn't Jesus. Really all you can say is "well, now. How about some ice cream?"

:lol: :lol:  Lucy, thank you for this! I needed a good laugh today. :hurray:

I am Protestant (sort of), but Saint Francis is perfect for a garden, don't you think? That is a good idea. 

I was raised believe in Creation, but no one ever mentioned a young earth belief. I was baffled that people actually believed YEC when I learned of it as an adult (and I was raised in the deep south). I always thought that Creationism meant OEC.

And there is always T-Rex trying.... to waste away a few hours of your day.  http://trextrying.tumblr.com/

• Like 5

If I were in your shoes, I'd be annoyed.    

But what I'm sitting here wondering is if YOU MADE FRIENDS with the mom who commented so positively about your son's response!  Her daughter clearly respected your son's position... and by bringing it up in a positive manner, it sounds like this woman put herself out there to feel you out.  

A fellow "impostor" perhaps?    

Stella

• Like 15

If I were in your shoes, I'd be annoyed.

But what I'm sitting here wondering is if YOU MADE FRIENDS with the mom who commented so positively about your son's response! Her daughter clearly respected your son's position... and by bringing it up in a positive manner, it sounds like this woman put herself out there to feel you out.

A fellow "impostor" perhaps?

Stella

We are already friends with them which was why she mentioned it to me.

We're a hard core YEC family. :) I was just wondering if there were others who don't believe in dinosaurs.

I think you and I are on the same page with the first paragraph. I was short because I was trying not to derail the thread. Again.

Wait.  You don't believe that there were dinosaurs?

• Like 1