Menu

Is making your own yogurt worth it from a financial perspective? And some other questions

ILiveInFlipFlops

Will I really save money if I make my own? We love whole-milk Greek yogurt here, and I'm debating making it myself, but I'm not sure it will be worth it given the time/effort, electricity, and ingredients. Can any of you expert yogurt makers tell me whether it would save me money to learn to make my own? 

Also, I don't have an oven I can put the pot in while the milk ferments. I mean, I have an oven, but it's stone cold and retains no heat from the pilot at all. How else would I get the prolonged warmth I need to make it ferment?

And would it worthwhile to buy a yogurt maker or strainer? I don't really see myself straining yogurt through a clean t-shirt every week!

Thanks!

It completely depends on the price of milk you use.  I've always found it to be much cheaper to make my own.  There's really no additional cost besides the milk since you use a blop of yogurt from the previous batch and you can just put it in a warm place to incubate without using any electricity, although you do need to heat the milk, but that takes a few minutes- hardly any cost there.  Of course, you can use organic or raw milk, always use a commercial starter, and use more equipment for heating and incubating and spend more money, but it would still probably be cheaper than a comparable organic yogurt.

If you're draining your yogurt, you'll lose some of the volume and you have to take that into consideration.  But it's possible to make rather thick yogurt without draining, so it depends on what your goal is.

I make mine in the oven with the oven light on.  I have an electric oven so no pilot light from a gas stove.  Just the oven light will keep it warm enough.  I make a gallon of yogurt at a time using only 2 T of plain yogurt from the store (or whatever yogurt I have left over from another batch), a gallon of milk, 1/2 cup of dried milk, and canning jars.  Total cost around the price of a gallon of whole milk.  Around here, a quart of yogurt will cost close to that much.  I make it and put it in the oven overnight.  In the morning I have yogurt.  The only time it takes me is keeping watch over the heating up the milk.

It depends how well you can do it. I failed so much that it was not cost effective and I hated wasting all of that milk. It was tragic.

But we could theoretically save money if I did it right. But I get more money from consulting, so it's not a cost-effective use of my time, either. At the time, when I was staying at home, it should have been, but again, I failed, so it wasn't.

Thank you, I didn't know how much I'd lose through draining. So it's really roughly comparable to milk in = yogurt out, with just a small loss of whey from draining? 

I don't have an oven light. I think my oven is approximately circa 1767  :glare:  It's very old and small, and leaks heat terribly (hence no warmth from the pilot, even). Raising dough is always a fun experiment--it might work, it might not! I guess I'd need a heating pad or some other warming mechanism? So then I have to factor that electricity cost in as well.

I'm really tempted, just because it's such a pain to get yogurt that is organic AND Greek AND without additives around here. I don't think even Whole Foods carries it. Hmmm...

It depends how well you can do it. I failed so much that it was not cost effective and I hated wasting all of that milk. It was tragic.

But we could theoretically save money if I did it right. But I get more money from consulting, so it's not a cost-effective use of my time, either. At the time, when I was staying at home, it should have been, but again, I failed, so it wasn't.

Yup.  Lot of expensive product in the garbage here...

At one point I found a warm spot in a closet.  The yogurt tasted like perfume because ya know..it was in a clothing closet.  LOL

Thank you, I didn't know how much I'd lose through draining. So it's really roughly comparable to milk in = yogurt out, with just a small loss of whey from draining? 

I don't have an oven light. I think my oven is approximately circa 1767  :glare:  It's very old and small, and leaks heat terribly (hence no warmth from the pilot, even). Raising dough is always a fun experiment--it might work, it might not! I guess I'd need a heating pad or some other warming mechanism? So then I have to factor that electricity cost in as well.

I'm really tempted, just because it's such a pain to get yogurt that is organic AND Greek AND without additives around here. I don't think even Whole Foods carries it. Hmmm...

Well dough will even rise in the fridge so that's not as much of a problem. But with yogurt?  Yeah that isn't going to work.  I tried it many different ways!

I have heard you can use a crock pot. Google for it.  That I did not try yet.

It also depends how much you use.  For awhile there all of us were eating yogurt every day because of digestive issues.  I used this technique: http://ourlifesimplified.com/kitchen/all-recipes/homemade-yogurt-in-a-crockpot/.

Now I'm pretty much the only one who eats it on an ongoing basis, and I prefer Greek yogurt.  Straining homemade yogurt is indeed messy. It makes more sense for me to buy a store brand that I like.

Plus it depends if you can eat a gallon of yogurt within a particular period of time.  We'd never go through that much here.

I just like trying to make things to see what it's like to do it. 

:lol: I'm the same way. And I'm so anal about certain things. I don't like nonfat Greek organic yogurt, and that's pretty much all you can find here. None of us like higher-fat, regular organic yogurt. And I'm having a health issue lately that makes me want to buy all our dairy organic for awhile. Getting all the factors in place is impossible!

And when something is impossible, well...of course I can't accept that as a given  :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I'm the same way. And I'm so anal about certain things. I don't like nonfat Greek organic yogurt, and that's pretty much all you can find here. None of us like higher-fat, regular organic yogurt. And I'm having a health issue lately that makes me want to buy all our dairy organic for awhile. Getting all the factors in place is impossible!

And when something is impossible, well...of course I can't accept that as a given  :tongue_smilie:

Same here!  Fat free yogurt is disgusting.  And I can't believe what they charge for that crap.

I do like the higher fat stuff.  That's what I buy.  I can't always find it though. 

Summer might be a better time to try it.  Or try the crock pot thing. 

Don't toss the whey!  You can use it for all sorts of stuff.  Even just adding it to soups is great.

I would search for threads about this.  I use a picnic cooler with warm water to incubate.  No extra electricity required.

I also never use powdered milk.

It is much MUCH cheaper for me to make mine than to buy,

We absolutely think it's worth it financially; it's one of the things I believe is.  I pay about $5 for a gallon of organic whole milk.  Buying a gallon of yogurt would be at least three times that, and it wouldn't be organic. 

Tips:

• Don't strain it. That takes away a lot of the cost savings.  I talk about making a thick yogurt here.  We really, really noticed a BIG difference in thickness when I started doing the things that skimomma suggested in a previous thread (that I describe).  It may not be quite as thick as store-bought Greek yogurt, but it doesn't pour off the spoon either and my kids and I all love it.  We go through more than a gallon a week  We also don't add much to it -- fruit maybe, maybe a little jam.  They're learning to like the sourish taste of yogurt. 
  • Biggest tip, in my opinion, for thick yogurt:  Do not stir the starter into the hot milk.  Just put the starter in the bottom of the jar and pour the hot milk over it.  Also, we have learned that it does work best to buy commercial yogurt for the starter every 2nd or 3rd time you make it.  It just works better than using the homemade over and over and over again.  Scalding everything also seems to make a big difference. 
  • You can incubate it in a cooler.  Put the jars in a small cooler, get the water coming out of the tap to be right at 115 degrees, and fill the cooler up to the necks of the jars with that.  Let sit for 12 or so hours (I've done it for 24+ and it's still fine). I'm currently using my dehydrator to incubate yogurt as you just turn it on to 95 degrees and put the jars in for 8+ hours.  You do not need a yogurt maker.

I've never made Greek yogurt, however I have made gallons of regular yogurt.  I think the recipe was from the crockpot365 blog.  Whole milk was around $3.50 a gallon.  After the initial cost of a small container of plain yogurt, the only other cost was minimal electricity to run the crockpot.  It was well worth it.  Our yogurt always came out thick so we never felt the need to add any thickeners.

We make a gallon at a time .  How much you lose to draining depends on how thick you like the yogurt.  I'm guessing from a gallon of milk I get more than a half-gallon of yogurt.  It's much cheaper for us than buying the yogurt but we have a large family.  

The crock pot works well . . . I don't heat the milk in it.  I use the stove for that part, then when it gets cool enough to add the starter I dump it all into a crock pot that's been on high for about 15 minutes or so.  I turn off the crock pot then wrap the whole thing in a bath towel and leave it set all night.  

I've also used the method of putting it in quart jars in a cooler with several inches of hot water in the bottom.  I let this set over night also and have good luck with it.

OK, I just realized I have a EuroPro yogurt maker up in the storage space above my cabinets :lol: It's small, though, with small cups, and I lost one cup awhile ago. I bet I could use a mason jar instead though! It won't make a ton of yogurt at once, but if it makes the process easier, I guess it won't be hard to just make it a little more often. I guess I'll just have to strain each cup individually? Have to think about that part more. 

Looks like I'll be making some yogurt later this week. I just bought a huge container or I'd try it today. 

Thanks everyone!

For us the cost of good milk (local dairy, cows on pasture all the time, not grain fed, organic in all but paperwork) makes it about a wash. From a gallon of milk I get about 1.5 quarts of thick yogurt. I do it in the oven overnight in my enameled cast iron pot. I know people who put theirs into jars or heat the milk in a corck pot, then put those containers into a cooler overnight to keep the temperature stable.

Busy schedule here means that I mostly buy our yogurt. But I do like to make it because it is so yummy.

We just bought an Instant Pot and have started making all our own yogurt. Around here, a gallon of organic whole milk is abiut $6.60, whereas one quart of organic whole milk yogurt is about $3.50. Making our own yogurt costs about half as much as buying it.

I'm sort of warming up to the idea of an Instant Pot. I'm not sure I can justify the cost just yet though! I need to research that more.

Same here!  Fat free yogurt is disgusting.  And I can't believe what they charge for that crap.

I do like the higher fat stuff.  That's what I buy.  I can't always find it though.

You now that you can always make the fat free yoghurt full fat again, right? Just add a tablespoon of heavy cream to 6oz non-fat Greek yoghurt.

ETA: I calculated once exactly how much cream one would have to add to replace the lost fat, but now have forgotten the exact amount. Play around until you find how much cream you need to add so you like it. It was spoons full, not more.

We absolutely think it's worth it financially; it's one of the things I believe is.  I pay about $5 for a gallon of organic whole milk.  Buying a gallon of yogurt would be at least three times that, and it wouldn't be organic. 

Tips:

• Don't strain it. That takes away a lot of the cost savings.  I talk about making a thick yogurt here.  We really, really noticed a BIG difference in thickness when I started doing the things that skimomma suggested in a previous thread (that I describe).  It may not be quite as thick as store-bought Greek yogurt, but it doesn't pour off the spoon either and my kids and I all love it.  We go through more than a gallon a week  We also don't add much to it -- fruit maybe, maybe a little jam.  They're learning to like the sourish taste of yogurt. 
  • Biggest tip, in my opinion, for thick yogurt:  Do not stir the starter into the hot milk.  Just put the starter in the bottom of the jar and pour the hot milk over it.  Also, we have learned that it does work best to buy commercial yogurt for the starter every 2nd or 3rd time you make it.  It just works better than using the homemade over and over and over again.  Scalding everything also seems to make a big difference. 
  • You can incubate it in a cooler.  Put the jars in a small cooler, get the water coming out of the tap to be right at 115 degrees, and fill the cooler up to the necks of the jars with that.  Let sit for 12 or so hours (I've done it for 24+ and it's still fine). I'm currently using my dehydrator to incubate yogurt as you just turn it on to 95 degrees and put the jars in for 8+ hours.  You do not need a yogurt maker.

Thank you, so helpful! I'll try it without draining first and see if we like it. If it's whole milk yogurt, that tends to really take the edge of the sourness, so it might end up being fine that way. 

And thank you to everyone else for all the great tips too! I might make oldest DD do it with me as a science project. She's the biggest yogurt consumer here anyway. Youngest DD doesn't like yogurt, but she just asked me to buy her chia pods or squeezers. I told her we can't afford those, plus it's so much plastic waste, but that I'd try to make her some at home. I used juice and yogurt and lots of chia seeds, and she loved it! So we'll need yogurt for those too now. 

Now that I feel less overwhelmed, I'm looking forward to this!

For me it is, but I don't make greek yogurt. My HM yogurt is thicker than commercial yogurt, so I just eat it that way. I have a yogurt machine. It's not necessary, but I don't like fussing with the mess of crockpots, the annoyance of a cooler, and my oven isn't hot enough. 

I make 3 quart mason jars each time I make it, and that lasts us a day or two. A quart of even the cheapest yogurt here (which is full of weird stuff and artificial ingredients) costs at least 3.00, and I make 3 quarts for whatever the cost of milk is. I think a gallon is running 4.00 or so right now, so 3 quarts is 3 bucks. So that means it's a third of the price to make it, and it's high quality, whole milk, basically unsweetened. I add about 2 T of sugar to the whole batch and my kids don't notice. I call it vanilla, rather than plain, and they like it. They stopped liking commercial yogurt after I started making it. 

If I made greek the yield would be a lot less, and I find it messy and annoying. It might not be worth it to me to make greek, because the yield is probably at least half. 

I also use a small cooler filled with warm water to incubate it.   Heat milk on stove to 180 degrees, let it cool to 118 degrees, stir in starter yogurt, pour into quart mason jars, mason jars go into cooler, fill cooler with warm (100-110 degree) water to the necks of the jars, put the lid on the cooler, then let it sit 7-8 hours undisturbed on the counter.   

The only time I've had a yogurt failure has when I tried it starting with fat free milk.  It was awful.   The higher the fat content, the better and thicker the yogurt turns out.

I meant to add that my machine wasn't expensive, I think around $27, and it paid for itself quickly. I make several batches a week. It may be worth it, and although it came with small jars, I just replace them with big quart mason jars. Ask around, you may have a friend with an old yogurt machine she's not using. 

I've made it in the cooler, which worked very well until I switched to a different starter. I now use the Vili starter from Cultures for Health. It is awesome because I can mix the starter in and set it on the counter most of the year and it works great! In the winter we keep our house cold so I stick it in the oven with the light on, but the rest of the year I don't have to do anything. The starter makes a huge difference in what kind of yogurt you get!

I used to make mine in the crockpot (after heating on the stove) and then placing it in the oven wrapped in towels overnight with the light on. Now  have a yogurt maker. I use the exact same recipe and starter and my yogurt comes out thick with almost no whey in the jars. IDK why, but I love it :)

I have a yoghurt maker that I got form Aldi. it has 7 small single serve jars. it is so easy. I pour 1 l of UHT milk into a jug, add a tablespoon of natural yoghurt, whisk and pour into the jars. I then place the maker lid on and turn on at the power point. leave overnight and in the morning screw down the jar lids and put in the fridge. When serving we tip it out into a dish and add some homemade berry syrup. It is nice and thick.

I have never strained yoghurt nor heard of anyone doing it. sounds like a lot of extra work.

I have never strained yoghurt nor heard of anyone doing it. sounds like a lot of extra work.

Not really. You just line a mesh strainer with some clean cotton - a few layers of cheesecloth works nicely - place it over a bowl, and leave it there a few hours in the fridge.

Presto, you now have a strainer full of greek yogurt and a bowl full of whey, both of which can be used.

Using the Instant Pot, if we dump in a gallon of milk, we get nearly a gallon of yogurt, and it is plenty thick. Why are we getting such a high yield compared to some of you? I am new at yogurt making, so I have no theories.

1 gallon milk = 1 gallon yogurt

Unless one strains it (which some are wont to do) for thicker yogurt.  Then there'll be a little to a lot less yogurt (but the liquid that drains off, whey, is good for other things).

I incubate mine in a cooler. I put jars of hot water around the yogurt, put the lid on, and 6 hours later I have yogurt. No electricity except what runs the hot water heater. I don't strain mine because we use it mainly in smoothies and meat marinades, but I think you can just line your soup strainer with coffee filters and do it that way.

We eat about a pint of whole milk yogurt a day, so yes, for us it is cost effective!  As someone pointed out above, a gallon of milk ($3.86 at Sams) becomes a gallon of yogurt.  I don't strain it.  I make it in the crock pot; it stays warm enough when wrapped in towels, in the unplugged machine, overnight.  I make it every 7-10 days and I use the last of the previous batch to start the next gallon.  I've been doing that since I had to buy fresh starter when we moved five months ago.  The whole milk makes a much thicker, less sour yogurt, IMO.

I have to admit that I'm bemused by the whole Greek yogurt craze. I rarely drain our yogurt except for a few recipes that are better topped with thicker yogurt rather than regular. There is nothing like a bowl of bulgur with tomatoes and onions topped with some really thick drained yogurt. Also, I think fat free yogurt benefits from being drained and then having some water stirred in to thin it a little. Or cream, that's even better. :) And commercial drained yogurt is nigh unto chalky in my opinion- I've never tasted a version of Greek yogurt that I thought tasted good. And it isn't even Greek necessarily. Sure, Greeks drain yogurt, but so does everyone else who has yogurt as part of their cuisine.

I had a hard time getting the hang of making yogurt when I first started about 13 years ago, but then my sister passed her unwanted yogurt maker on to me and it was easy. Now I can make yogurt just about anywhere. I still use the yogurt maker if it's in the same house I'm in, but if it's not, I've set containers of milk in incubate next to a radiator; in a sunny spot in the kitchen, covered with a few towels; on top of the oven when it's baking something; on the counter above the dishwasher when it's going, etc. I also buy commercial starter just because it can sit in the fridge forever. A box of six packets easily lasts me a year or more because I don't use a new starter unless my yogurt picks up a weird flavor. I make 6-7 liters a week using whole milk. It's best if you can buy the milk fresh from your neighbor who has a cow, but I only had that happy circumstance for about 8 months of my life. They were a delicious 8 months of yogurt.

My MIL brought me an EasiYo thermos and dry starter packets from Australia, and I use a method my SIL taught me for stretching out the starter. 1 qt UHT whole milk + 1/2 cup full fat powdered milk (I buy Nestle Nido) + 1 T starter. Shake it up in the thermos, add the boiling water to the reservoir, and wait 12 hours.

I have friends who scald their milk, add store bought yogurt as a starter, and keep it in the oven, but my method is so super easy and fail proof. My ingredients are shelf stable so I can stock up, and I don't have to worry about the temp.

I pour a gallon of raw milk into my crockpot, put lid on, turn it on low for 3 hours.  Then I turn the crockpot off and let it sit till temp reaches 110.  Then I stir in a commercial starter (Nancy's b/c it has the most bacterial strains I can find in my area).  After stirring int he starter, I cover it with a couple towels so it retains some warmth and leave it over night.  In the morning it's a crockpot full of beautiful yogurt.  It's a bit thinner than we like so I do strain it while sitting on some cheese cloth in a strainer.  I scoop what's left into a bowl, maybe add back a little whey to get the consistency I want, then I blend it up w/ an immersion blender to make it super silky.  Then I I spoon it into little yogurt jars that came w/ the worthless, fussy yogurt maker I bought and don't use.  But I love the jars.  I may put maple syrup in, or spoon some fruit in..whatever..they like it all here. Sometimes I crush nuts to put on top, toast oats with honey and cinnamon to sprinkle too.   I have 15 yogurt jars and can usually fill them 2 times w/ the one gallon I make about once a week. I repurchase a starter about once a month.  

I think being able to control the ingredients in your food is worth A LOT so this is totally worth it to me.  I do almost nothing.   It cooks itself, strains itself...i just move it from crockpot to strainer to jars.  Add in what they request.  It's a huge staple here.  

Gallon of raw milk = $5

1 cup of starter costs roughly 1.00  (I get a large canister of Nancy's yogurt for $3 and can use it around 3 times)

frozen fruit (if I use it)...hmm, maybe $2

This lasts around 1.5 weeks here...30 jars, family of 4 having just less than 1 a day in that time..  Around $8 plus a little more for oats, or spices.   I carefully choose all ingredients so they are high quality.  I can't get the BEST yogurt on the shelf for anywhere near that price.  Totally worth it to us.

BTW, generally a gallon of milk makes a gallon of yogurt, but not greek yogurt, which is strained. Also, I did a test last year where I compared different methods of thickening my yogurt, and with the same batch I used the little jars and labelled the different techniques. I tried gelatin, dry milk, other commercial thickeners, and longer "cooking" time. I didnt get much difference, but the one thing that made it thicker was when I boiled the milk longer, maybe 5-6 minutes, when scalding it, and that does decrease the yield a little, since there is some evaporation, but not more than a half a cup or so. 

Compared to buying Fage Greek yogurt, yes, it's much cheaper.  And to make it Greek yogurt you really have to strain it, which reduces it by half.  I use a crockpot method too, just use Fage as the starter.

Straining it then making a half gallon of frozen yogurt with whole-milk Fage is the best homemade ice cream I've ever had.  I just added in one spoonful of extra-dark cocoa and three spoonfuls of sugar to a container of strained homemade whole-milk yogurt, and turned on the ice cream maker.  Even DH couldn't get enougn, and he generally goes for salty things, not sweets.

Definitely. One quart of regular (unstrained) yogurt here costs the same to slightly less than a gallon of milk, and Greek yogurt costs about half again as much, or maybe a little less. I heat my milk to 185 degrees on the stove first to get a thicker yogurt and do four quart mason jars at once in my incubator over night. That's four quarts for about 1/4 to 1/3 of store price. I've started straining two of those quarts to make Greek yogurt for me. I have strained out 50% of the volume in whey, and that makes a quart for about 1/3 of store price. But I'm not going to strain out so much anymore now that I've got the trick of heating it for thickness first--I like thick yogurt, but that was almost too thick to be called yogurt anymore.