Menu

Would you let your boys do this

RosieCotton

Let them watch DH play Halo, Halo Reach (an XBOX game) with the volume turned off for any language they might hear.

They are 8 and 9.

Once in a while, for less than an hour. Only if their work is done and done with good effort.

For those unfamiliar with the game, it's not gory, which I hate or super scary IMO.

Honestly, I think they are still a bit young to be watching those games -- and we are a gaming family so I have no prejudice against video games.

Same here. My 10 year old plays lots of video games, and I tend to be on the more lenient side with video games/screen time in the first place, but I draw the line at any first person shooter games. Dh doesn't necessarily agree with me, and he thinks that some first person shooter games are okay, but he backs me up anyhow since I feel so strongly about it. 

If he really wants to play video games with them I would suggest Minecraft or LegoStarWars or. . . pretty much anything other than Halo. (And I know you said that they would just be watching but the point is to spend time with their dad, yes?)

:iagree:

There are so many other options that would be far more appropriate for young children to watch (or play,) so can't your dh play something else when the kids are around?

I don't know that it would be any fun to watch or play a game with the volume turned off, anyway, so I'm not sure why your dh is even considering that as an option.

Nope. Agreed with a lot said above. 

And yes, it leaves my boys out of a lot of loops with other homeschool friends, esp ones with older brothers, who talk constantly about Halo and Call of Duty.  A lot of conversations that they can't participate in (no, I'm not hovering over there preventing them from listening--they just don't have anything to contribute to the conversations & can't follow it) and probably a lot of not being invited to other boys' houses because they aren't interested in those games.

But nope.  They play an awful lot of Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, LEGO games, Madden football and FIFA soccer, with and without their dad--

B

No.

I'm not against video games and I'm not against them at that age if they're done responsibly. If time is going to be spent, I'd rather find a suitable alternative as suggest above, like Minecraft or a Lego game or an online game like Wizard 101 or something. If it's going to be bonding time, letting dh and the kids build an run a Minecraft server for their friends together would be a potentially good gaming and bonding thing.

I wouldn't freak out if they walked past or saw it for a moment or something, but in general, I don't think they should be watching. It's like letting 6 yos read a book with lots of s*x or something. Or letting an 8 yo watch an R rated movie. Nothing wrong with those things at the right age and nothing wrong with dhes playing Halo, but there are books and movies - and video games - that are right for kids and they should stick to those at least until they're teens and possibly until they're older teens or adults depending on the specific media.

Yeah I don't even have screen time limits.  My only rule is no Internet after 10 pm.  Otherwise..whatever.  Where I draw the line is with some video games.  My 13 year old does not like it.  Oh well. 

He had the nerve to ask me if he could buy Grand Theft Auto.  HAHAHAHA.  I told him I will never allow that game in my house irregardless of how old he is.

We don't jump up and turn it off right away if their movie ends before DH is done playing or whatever, but generally those games happen after the kids' bed time. The boys do play with a Halo-themed board game. It's a strategy game but they build it different ways and make their own rules.

They play cartoon racing video games. I don't and will likely never allow Minecraft.

We don't jump up and turn it off right away if their movie ends before DH is done playing or whatever, but generally those games happen after the kids' bed time. The boys do play with a Halo-themed board game. It's a strategy game but they build it different ways and make their own rules.

They play cartoon racing video games. I don't and will likely never allow Minecraft.

Something like that would be ok with me. 

My husband and son play halo now, but not when the boy was younger.  They played Lego Star Wars and stuff like that.   My husband is not really a gamer but it's a fun thing for them to do together.  But, they played age-appropriate games. 

And, how much fun it is to watch someone else play a game?   Surely there are better ways to have fun together? 

I'm curious about why you will never allow Minecraft.

I'm curious too.  Maybe she is afraid it's addictive.

The older kid is currently too cool for Minecraft, but the 9 year old still enjoys it.

The families I know that don't allow it, that's the reason.

For me, I feel like as long as it gets into the category of every other video game it's fine. The families that baffle me are the ones that seem to think it's super educational. There's some educational things you can do with it, but mostly it's a video game. My 10 yos have had periods of being more and less into it. Right now I feel like it's basically social currency to be able to talk about it with 7-12 yos, especially boys. Sort of like Pokemon ten years ago or something.

The families I know that don't allow it, that's the reason.

For me, I feel like as long as it gets into the category of every other video game it's fine. The families that baffle me are the ones that seem to think it's super educational. There's some educational things you can do with it, but mostly it's a video game. My 10 yos have had periods of being more and less into it. Right now I feel like it's basically social currency to be able to talk about it with 7-12 yos, especially boys. Sort of like Pokemon ten years ago or something.

My kids tried to get me to play it with them.  I didn't get it.  LOL  Does not interest me.

I would say they are not addicted.  They don't play it all that often.  I think in part because I don't make a big deal out of limiting it.  I know that doesn't always work, but it did for us.

My kids enjoy watching DH play his games, so it is understandable.  They cheer for him, groan with him, etc.  We don't have Halo so I can't rate it.  I would probably try to delay them seeing FPS games for a little longer. 

Do you allow the boys to have appropriate games of their own?  That might be a compromise solution.  (Obviously we aren't anti-screen time here.) 

I'm curious too.  Maybe she is afraid it's addictive.

The older kid is currently too cool for Minecraft, but the 9 year old still enjoys it.

Truly addictive video games are first person shooters like Halo, not games like Minecraft.  Oh, I know kids will become obsessed with it just like I am with Hay Day at the moment  ;)  but actual video addiction has to do with raised dopamine levels.  

I'm curious too. Maybe she is afraid it's addictive.

There isn't a single kid in our circle that has been able to handle Minecraft without problems. None. I'm sure some kids can handle it just fine, just none that I know! I already have problems with my kids struggling to get up and go to the bathroom because they are afraid the pause screen might unpause and they'll miss something. Or waking up in the middle of the night several times because their screen-based interests are not shutting off in their head. I don't need more ruined furniture and 2:00am random game-related mumbling.

The Xbox has been put up for a week because of a behavior issue, and the difference is staggering. And this is for a cartoon racing game, I can't imagine what chaos we'd get with Minecraft. Maybe it would be just fine, but I'm not going to take that chance. There's too much stress in the house as it is.

I figure once they are mature enough to handle it, it won't be cool to play it anymore. Plus we don't have a working PC, and I heard the console version is lame.

Truly addictive video games are first person shooters like Halo, not games like Minecraft. Oh, I know kids will become obsessed with it just like I am with Hay Day at the moment ;) but actual video addiction has to do with raised dopamine levels.

Right, I know screen addiction and obsessive interests are different. But I'm probably not the first parent who had to pack up the Thomas trains for a few days because a four-year-old does actually need to sleep, eat, and use the bathroom somewhere other than on the wooden tracks.

There isn't a single kid in our circle that has been able to handle Minecraft without problems. None. I'm sure some kids can handle it just fine, just none that I know! I already have problems with my kids struggling to get up and go to the bathroom because they are afraid the pause screen might unpause and they'll miss something. Or waking up in the middle of the night several times because their screen-based interests are not shutting off in their head. I don't need more ruined furniture and 2:00am random game-related mumbling.

The Xbox has been put up for a week because of a behavior issue, and the difference is staggering. And this is for a cartoon racing game, I can't imagine what chaos we'd get with Minecraft. Maybe it would be just fine, but I'm not going to take that chance. There's too much stress in the house as it is.

I figure once they are mature enough to handle it, it won't be cool to play it anymore. Plus we don't have a working PC, and I heard the console version is lame.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

I don't know any kids who have had problems with Minecraft, but if you think there is a possibility that your child might get addicted to it, I think you are right to not allow it. Why invite problems, right?

I love the Halo games, but no, not at those ages.  It's not so much the language (mostly just d*** and sh** if i'm remembering correctly) but that it is gory and scary, even if a lot of the gore is fantastical and you're shooting aliens instead of people.  Off the top of my head, from the first game, the scene where the Flood overwhelm the Marines sticks out as both.  Reach is a very dark game, as well, as it's basically a science fiction version of the battle of Thermopylae.

What about a racing game like Forza?

Holy smokes look at all these responses! 

I figured half would be yes and half no. Super surprising given some of the TV shows and screen time I see ok'd by many.

But thanks for the thoughts I will consider them all. !

We have 14 classic arcade hits they enjoy playing with us (galaga, dragon spirit, dig dug, pac-man etc), and Knex bowling, river rafting and the like. They play on weekends mostly or if one is sick they get to pick arcade games.

I think we have Star Wars Battlefront somewhere, I'll have to look again.

We'll shelf it for now. :) I think I'm getting winter brain freeze. :laugh:

As the parent of an adult child who was allowed to play FPSs (not in my home, but in another parent's home), I disagree.  It's been more than 10 years, and I still think it was a bad choice.

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Removed quote from deleted post.

Nope. I really suggest sticking to the esrb ratings.

Fwiw, my ds - who watches a lot of gamers on YouTube - really thinks there's isn't that much diff between playing and watching a play. I mean yeah,, it's more immersive and real when you play but watching is pretty close...

I agree that watching the games can feel sort of like watching a movie and you can get pretty involved in what is going on, but the OP said she was thinking of letting the kids watch with the volume turned off, and all I could think of was how boring it would be to watch a movie with no sound. (Ultimately, it wouldn't matter for me anyway, because I agree that her kids are too young to watch those games, but I kept picturing all that action happening on the screen... yet it's completely silent... :D)

Homeschooling has nothing to do with my reasons to limit the violent video games my child is exposed to. I would limit it even if he was in school.

To slam homeschoolers for not agreeing that a form of visual media that contains graphic violence is appropriate for young children is a rather extremist stance.

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Edited to remove the personal attack.

As the parent of an adult child who was allowed to play FPSs (not in my home, but in another parent's home), I disagree.  It's been more than 10 years, and I still think it was a bad choice.  

And as the parent of an old teen who wasn't really playing any video games at all until he hit tweens & then almost always stuck to esrb ratings, I'm still glad I made that choice. He plays fps now. Didn't harm him to wait... I'm glad we worried about it & waited.

And as the parent of an old teen who wasn't really playing any video games at all until he hit tweens & then almost always stuck to esrb ratings, I'm still glad I made that choice. He plays fps now. Didn't harm him to wait... I'm glad we worried about it & waited.

Oh yes, I think sticking to the esrb ratings is a good plan, too.  :)  I hope I wasn't unclear.  I meant that I still have regrets that an 8 - 9 year old in my life played them, at that age.  He's an adult now, and I still regret it.  I do think it had an effect on him.  

If that is your idea of a slam than I'd suggest a thicker skin.

And my oldest is practically an adult and he owns gta. Oh the horror.

I feel bad for you. Every singe time someone brings up a topic about restricting technology, no matter the reasons, you become incredibly defensive. Even when the topic is about limiting young children's exposure to a game that has a rating of M due to graphic violence.

Why is defending young children's exposure to this type of media such a big deal? Yes, you will need to explain it to me vs taking your usual path and throwing out thinly veiled insults and huffing off if you wish others to understand.

You are one of three people I have talked to about this who seem to view any limitations on media is somehow horrid. Here is a bit about the other two. I know them IRL. One was convinced that my not buying my 6 year old an iPod was going to forever ruin any chance he would have to be gainfully employed.

The other has adult children living in the basement who flunked out of college and are unable to hold jobs. That stereo type of video game addicts who lack social skills and sit in their underwear playing video games while mom waits on them? That is the family.

Neither make a good supportive argument and instead throw out comments about how children with technology limits are sad, stunted individuals living in another century. When you swoop in with your attack and provide little information about how you came to the conclusion, offer no supporting evidence to back your stance and then toss out lightly veiled insults and vast over generalizations, I draw from my experience with the above two families. I am strongly reminded of the many conversations I had with them and where I know their adult children currently are.

That is my experience with the views who spout and yes, I mentally classify you along side those families, even without knowing you personally. Your aggressive posts towards those who do not agree with you are the reason. I cannot help but wonder if you are posting in such a way as to convince yourself more than to sway others. The more you post in this manner the more I view your posts as such and the less credit I give your views.

Try dialogue, not insults.

I have to say, I know a bunch of kids in public school who are not allowed to play FPS's like Halo. None of my kids' cousins of their age are allowed them, I know. And the two conversations I've had where I thought, whoa, this mom is really nutty anti-video games, the parent was a public school parent. I don't think this is a "homeschool thing." I think it's just a certain sort of parenting.

Like I said, I'm not anti-gaming at all. If my kids want to play Halo when they're teens, I'll probably be okay with that. But no one I know is okay with kids 10 and under playing this stuff.