Menu

You know how people say ridiculous things...

lollie010

and it can be hard to just let it go. But, you kind of have to let it go, because what else are you going to do. Well, I thought it might be fun and therapeutic to have a place to get it all out.

Naturally, I'm willing to go first. Feel free to join in by sharing those words, said by others that you can't get out of your head, whether funny, ridiculous, rude, inaccurate, uninformed or unsolicited.

My example is taken from a brief conversation that I had with my MIL over Christmas. She asked "Are you going to get a job in 2015?" I responded "I may, depending on the circumstances." She replied with "I sure hope so. It's time for you to be a big girl and get to work."

I guess homeschooling and parenting four children doesn't count. Lol. 😃 Wow. I'm already feeling better just getting out! Join in if you need to get something off your chest.

That's not ridiculous, in the sense of being absurd.  That's an attack. Don't let it go, any more than if she would have insulted you in some other way.  I'm not saying retaliate, but, register it as being indicative of her opinion of you.  And respond accordingly.  

Is your child a midget? Yes I got that at Walmart today because dd2 was walking with me (she's not even 1 yet)

Crazy. That reminds me of one time I was in a conveniece store with my then 6 and 7 year olds. And I was telling the cashier about my two year old and she asked which one was the two year old. I had to say with a straight face, "Neither. The two year old is at home. Those are are six and seven year olds." That one still had me shaking my head. Lol

That's not ridiculous, in the sense of being absurd. That's an attack. Don't let it go, any more than if she would have insulted you in some other way. I'm not saying retaliate, but, register it as being indicative of her opinion of you. And respond accordingly.

Yes. It's a theme with her. I have really appreciated this board over the years as a safe place to vent. We all have our hands full with her.

I was asked why I didn't take the time to bring my kids to my nieces birthday party (my sisters kid). They knew I was waiting for the ambulance to take my FIL to a different hospital for 2 stints in his heart. Really, a five year olds party is more important than being with my MIL as Her husband is having a heart attack.

I was asked why I didn't take the time to bring my kids to my nieces birthday party (my sisters kid). They knew I was waiting for the ambulance to take my FIL to a different hospital for 2 stints in his heart. Really, a five year olds party is more important than being with my MIL as Her husband is having a heart attack.

Wow! What a big decision--major medical emergency or a 5 year olds birthday party.

My MIL sent me several emails complaining about two trips she took to the pharmacy to get her meds, but the line was too long and she decided not to wait and just left.  She asked if I had time to pick up her meds.  I replied that I had 3 other errands to run that day after we finished school and really couldn't, but that i would call DH and ask him to get them on the way home from work, no problem.

She was FURIOUS and said, Don't bother him.  I really wanted YOU to wait around for my medicine.

Um, yeah.

Not as spectacularly funny as your stories so far, but still, I was like, REALLY?  I wish I could think of another story, because she's always blowing my mind.

B

My mil once stated that I needed to get a job and stop spending my husbands money!!  :confused1:   For once I was quick enough to respond You were there the day he promised it all to me...(my worldly goods I thee endow...)

I think that she thought she was better than me as we were both stay at home moms, but she had family money of her own. I didn't.

My daughter is very, very smart. Like off the charts. A few weeks ago my mother said "I can't imagine what the dinner conversation would be like if both her parents were smart too."

Along the same line, I had a friend ask me what my husband does. I responded that he is a research scientist. Her response? "Oh that's why your kids are so smart."

Yeah, that must be it. There's no other explanation.

Wow rude.  I had a lady call me at two in the morning because she had had a baby a few days prior and was worried about something. This lady was not my client.  When I asked why she didn't call her midwife as I did not know her history. She stated she hated to wake her mw up at 2 am and thought she'd call me. The real kicker was the call was NOT an emergency and even she knew it could wait until morning.  I just chalked it up to post postpartum hormones.

This wasn't an offensive comment, but I did have to pick my jaw up off the floor! I was at a friend's house and her neighbor stopped by. We were all chatting and something about the neighbor's father living in Washington came up. I said jokingly, "ooh, he's the president's neighbor." Then she said, "oh my gosh! I had no idea the president lived in Vancouver!" She was not joking. She had no clue there were 2 Washingtons or where the president lived at all.

Yes. It's a theme with her. I have really appreciated this board over the years as a safe place to vent. We all have our hands full with her.

You won't have your hands full if you drop her like a hot potato! What a terrible comment. I am picturing Samuel L. Jackson saying "Allow me to retort" in Pulp Fiction. I would've put her in her place...my temper would have *made me*. Without the Samuel L. Jackson *shooting* the other guy part, of course. ;)

This wasn't an offensive comment, but I did have to pick my jaw up off the floor! I was at a friend's house and her neighbor stopped by. We were all chatting and something about the neighbor's father living in Washington came up. I said jokingly, "ooh, he's the president's neighbor." Then she said, "oh my gosh! I had no idea the president lived in Vancouver!" She was not joking.

And THAT ladies and gentlemen, is why we homeschool.

This wasn't an offensive comment, but I did have to pick my jaw up off the floor! I was at a friend's house and her neighbor stopped by. We were all chatting and something about the neighbor's father living in Washington came up. I said jokingly, "ooh, he's the president's neighbor." Then she said, "oh my gosh! I had no idea the president lived in Vancouver!" She was not joking. She had no clue there were 2 Washingtons or where the president lived at all.

Wow!

The specifics are too numerous to recount, but my dh and I had a friend who was funny and a blast to be around, but every time we were with him he'd say some little phrase that put us in a bad light. Like, when I was quiet after watching a movie that my dh picked, the friend said to me, "Why are you so quiet? Pouting because we didn't watch a movie you chose?" Um...no...

It was bizarre. We would feel icky about ourselves until we realized that we were *not* doing the things this friend would infer (like pouting over a movie--I wasn't! I was just quiet! It was late!) He would infer that DH and I were fighting or mad at each other when we were just hanging out and, well, I don't even know why he'd say these things. We weren't fighting or mad. It was just so strange.

We used to have this friend to the house every month or so because 99% percent of the time he was funny and we would have fun together. But that 1% was just too irritating. He hasn't been invited into our home in a year and a half. It's better that way.

I haven't told anyone IRL because it would be gossipy since they all know him, but it was hard to let go of all those little digs. I'm still a little unsure how I feel about them, but at least now they don't sting as much as they used to.

Speaking of ignorance...

My DH once ended up in an argument with an acquaintance of ours because he mentioned that fascism/nazism were politically HARD RIGHT. Well, the acquaintance took extreme umbrage to that, and insisted that fascism was leftist, and that my DH was a horrible person for being so wrong.

Umm, WW2 anyone?

Oh, and my DH's grandfather spent time in a nazi pow camp and nearly died there. So it was ignorant and offensive.

What. Just what. 

My mother though, is the queen of innocent crazy comments. Let's see, she once asked me if Orthodox Christians "believe in Jesus." She's asked me why she can't pronounce my DH's name according to English pronunciation of its spelling instead of what he calls himself (DH's name isn't even Germanic). And way too many TMI comments that I have tried to wipe from my memory.

Oh, and BF'ing a 1 1/2 year old is, you know, setting the kid up to still be nursing in kindergarten. I have a relative who told me that. lol.

and it can be hard to just let it go. But, you kind of have to let it go, because what else are you going to do. Well, I thought it might be fun and therapeutic to have a place to get it all out.

Naturally, I'm willing to go first. Feel free to join in by sharing those words, said by others that you can't get out of your head, whether funny, ridiculous, rude, inaccurate, uninformed or unsolicited.

My example is taken from a brief conversation that I had with my MIL over Christmas. She asked "Are you going to get a job in 2015?" I responded "I may, depending on the circumstances." She replied with "I sure hope so. It's time for you to be a big girl and get to work."

I guess homeschooling and parenting four children doesn't count. Lol. 😃 Wow. I'm already feeling better just getting out! Join in if you need to get something off your chest.

Oh. My. Word.  :rant:   I rant on your behalf.  That was a terrible thing to say. 

Sounds familiar.  At Christmas at in laws, (which I have avoided forever but guilted into attending) mil was praising the virtues of her chosen favorites (grandkids) while my kids were in the room.  Heck, we were all there.  I had to open my mouth and talk about my brother's recent promotion.  I got a strange look, room got quiet, then she said, "Well, go ahead, if you feel that your side of the family has something worthwhile to contribute."  

:cursing:

What is real school for a 4 year old anyways? People are hilarious.

Everyone thinks he's 6 or 7 because he's *really* tall, and articulate. I know he's tall, but I think he comes across as a typical 4 year old. He still messes his words up in the adorable way that 4 year olds do.

Everyone thinks he's 6 or 7 because he's *really* tall, and articulate. I know he's tall, but I think he comes across as a typical 4 year old. He still messes his words up in the adorable way that 4 year olds do.

I got that. People wanted to know why my 2 year old wasn't talking or walking. Because that, my dear friend, isn't a two year old but a very tall 10 month old, lol.

I had a boss at Target about 25 years ago insist that Australia was a part of the United States and that Texas was its own country. She didn't believe me when I told her it was the other way around.